Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Old August 29th, 2007, 7:14 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
I think it was this inner trait that landed her in Gryffindor over Ravenclaw. We see the first hint of this is SS/PS, when she takes the blame for chasing the troll - lying to McGonagall in the process, too.
And also when she proposed the Polyjuice Potion in CoS, though she knew they had to break many school-rules. That's one of the things I've admired most in her - her amazing ability to always be able to tell the important from the unimportant - a quality both Ron and Harry lack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsh_Potter View Post
Hasn't it always been a theme throughout the series that Hermione always turns out to be right in the end of the book, in some form or the other?
Not always - in PS she, just as Ron and Harry, was convinced that Snape was the villain, and in HBP, she sisn't believe Harry about Draco, and Harry was right.

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:28 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Well, Hermione is wise but not infallible- no one in the Potterverse is, not even Dumbledore. Her analytical skills make her less likely to be mistaken, but that doesn't mean that she never is.

Old August 30th, 2007, 4:56 pm
Animaga terpsichore

1. Hermione's afraid of failure,so as defense mechanism, she studies obsessively and tries very hard to do everything literally by-the-book. How have her insecurities and defense mechanisms affected her development as a character throughout the series, and what are some other ones? In what ways have they hindered or helped her ? What causes her to feel this way, and has she become more secure with herself throughout the series?
She is a very smart girl. Because of her obsessive study skills, she has helped Harry and Ron in so many ways she couldn't have if she didn't study and read up on different spells and things like that. As the series went on, she became more secure about herself and started breaking the rules a bit.

2. Hermione repeatedly defends and helps those who can't defend or help themselves. Early in the series, on the first ride on the Hogwarts Express, she starts helping Neville out with his toad and continues to help him out in Potions despite being told not to. In PoA she also works very hard to make a defense for Buckbeak, and in GoF she starts S.P.E.W. to end the opression of house elves. How similar is this to Harry's "saving people thing," and what does it say about her character?
Its not exactly the same. Harry helps those that are in trouble or that were caught by Voldemort (i.e. the chapter, "Malfoy Manor.") Hermione helps her friends that need help in school or other situations like that. Same with S.P.E.W., she wanted to help the House Elves and free them.

3.Hermione is very intuitive when it comes to others' emotions. She seems to understand a lot about how both Cho and Harry are feeling during their "relationship" and notices Harry's feelings for Ginny before anyone else. She also berates Ron a lot for his "emotional range of a teaspoon" which implies that she notices how people feel more than he does. However, she hardly ever talks about her own feelings, and most of them are expressed only through actions, like the flock of birds in HBP. Is this related in anyway to her insecurity? How does her relationship with Ron and Harry affect this part of personality? How do her relationships with other girls ( Ginny, Luna, Parvati, Lavendar, Pansy, etc.) affect it? Or how do they reflect that part of her?
I think it has to do with Hermione not having many friends that are girl. The only main friend of hers is Ginny. She obviously cant share her feeling to Harry and Ron because they wouldn't understand like any other girl would. Because she is with Harry and Ron most of the time, she isn't able to talk to anyone else about her feelings and what she is going through.

4. Hermione, being Muggleborn, must travel back and forth between the "Muggle world" in which her parents live and the wizarding world in which the majority of events in her life take place. She doesn't go home as often as some of the other students, choosing to spend time either at Hogwarts or with the Weasleys. When she becomes a prefect she comments that she wants to tell her parents because it will be something they will understand. What does this say about her connection to the wizarding world and her relationship with her parents? What do you think of her decision to modify her parent's memories?
She wants her parents to understand that she will succeed with everything she can in the Wizarding world. About her dicision to modify her parent's memories; well I can understand why she did it in the first place, because she wanted to help Harry and Ron. Maybe if she told them the truth, maybe they would have understood, but I don't know.

5. What does Hermione contribute to the Trio, both on a normal social basis and in the challenges they face together throughout the series? How do her strengths get them through things, and how do her weaknesses hold them back?
She knows more spells than both Harry and Ron. Her weakness is that in the 7th book she starts showing her feelings and gets alot more emotioal than she was from the other books.

6. What do you think Hermione went on to do post DH? What consequences did its events have for her?
Quote:
Hermione finds her parents in Australia and removes the memory modification charm she put on them. She initially works for the Ministry of Magic in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, greatly improving life for house-elves and their ilk. She later moves to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and assists in eradicating oppressive, pro-pureblood laws.
Found on Wikipedia. It was from an online chat and interview.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old August 30th, 2007, 6:44 pm
First Year

Hello all. I am a complete newcomer to this scene, having read all 7 books
over the last two weeks. What a thrilling ride it has been! How good it is
to read and discuss in these wonderful forums with more experienced and
knowledgeable posters.

Sticking to the topic of this thread, here is my 2 knck's worth:

It seems to me that Hermoine was the only member of the trio to have become mature, to have become an adult in the true sense.
Remembering that she is indeed older than the boys and taken into consideration that in parallel to the muggle world, young witches probably mature earlier than young wizards, she has accomplished the rites of passage ahead of her male companions.

She was determined to follow Harry and sort of proud of it, having worked it all out for herself and got herself ready and prepared for the inevitable.
She made the choice to commit herself to her purpose, her role. Cutting the ties to her childhood, to her own parents even (ever so sad and brave at the same time). Because of her knowledge from the immense amount of books she has read, her experiences over the last couple of years, she knew what was at stake more than anybody else I think. She knew the risks and dangers awaiting herself and her friends. She knew rationally that there was no chance of turning back or escape, the quest would either succeed or they'd all die trying or being defeated. She planned ahead with her beaded purse (wickedly feminine!), was ever vigilant for danger lurking, and performed exactly as dictated by the situation. Gone were most of the childhood and adolescent insecurities, here stood a women in command of herself who had learned to overcome her weaknesses of the past.

Had it not been for JKR still letting us know how caring, insecure, afraid and emotional she was, how human and very much inline with the Hermoine from the previous years, she would have looked unbelievable, sort of blown up into a super-hero from a comic book. Now we all felt right about her and admired her for being a true and loyal friend, brave in the face of danger, clever at planning and solving problems and cunning in the narrow escapes etc.
Hermoine clearly had her best moments in this book, all of what she learned in the previous years was put to use and payed off, and she did never ever brag about it, it was just the way she was meant to be.

I think that Hermoine is the only character in the books that was taken to 'completion', from child through adolescent to adulthood. Perhaps because she is the only female main character in a series written by a woman, the author had just more of a 'connection' to her. Harry is fulfilled by having completed his quest, but has to start all anew thereafter, making himself a life worth living (with Ginny of course). Ron is still a child at heart, he needs a few more playful years probably before committing himself to adult responsabilities.

Hermoine played her role well and left us no loose ends.

Her future, as lined out by JKR in the epilogue and other tidbits she let loose in interviews etc, hasn't been made clear to us. Even more so her past, which leaves us readers really puzzled and up to guessing. I think a person like Hermoine was eventually unfulfilled, ultimately unsatisfied with the outcome of S.P.E.W., even when taken to a professional level in that new department of the MoM she founded. Perhaps she concluded that she could only do so much without forcing the house elves against their will, perhaps she realised this was the way it was meant to be in the celestial order of creation of JKR's universe.
Given her profound interest in seeking justice and peace, her search for knowledge, I think it is not more than natural for her to pursue a career in justice and investigation. I don't know what to think of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, was it the equivalent of muggle police forces like FBI or was it a sort of supreme high court, or both at the same time? Would Hermoine like the practical side, to become a detective a la Dale Cooper (Twin Peaks), or rather the investigating coroner a la Samantha Ryan (Silent Witness)? Would she like the more brainy side, to become a prosecutor or barrister (lawyer to the defence) or rather a judge, president of the Wizengamot even? All these professions would suit her whole, for they require knowledge, feeling, intuition, and a very bright mind.

Many of the wonderful postings in the DH fan fiction threads lead her along this career path, besides becoming happy with Ron and having her own family. Glad that JKR left those 19 years to us to fantasize about ...

JKR truely has done a wonderful job with Hermione, and I am pleased to have been able to go along with her in the books.

Last edited by TheAuror; August 30th, 2007 at 6:48 pm.
Old August 30th, 2007, 8:08 pm
Fifth Year

In DH Harry says that Expectro patronum is the only spell Hermione has difficulty with,why do you suppose that is?I can't imagine her having trouble thinking of cheerful thoughts.

Old August 30th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
In DH Harry says that Expectro patronum is the only spell Hermione has difficulty with,why do you suppose that is?I can't imagine her having trouble thinking of cheerful thoughts.
I doubt Expecto Patronum is as easy as having cheerful thoughts, or else everyone would do it. I guess one could say the fact that her relationship with Ron never friendly for a long enough period for them to shack up has something to do with it. Or the fact that she never had eleven years of misery before coming into the wizarding world which, by contrast makes everything look better can attribute to it too.

Old August 30th, 2007, 9:44 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I think Hermione worries too much, so the thoughts might intrude on her happy thought. Either that, or Harry was just kidding her a bit - keeping things light in a tense situation.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:52 am
Curse Breaker

Welcome, TheAuror!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAuror View Post
It seems to me that Hermoine was the only member of the trio to have become mature, to have become an adult in the true sense.
I do not think that I entirely agree with this. I think that all three grew up in the end. They grew up in different ways. In some ways, Hermione had to learn to loosen up a bit and to accept that sometimes flippancy, frivolity, and going against convention was part of an adult personality. Ron had to make the opposite changes (which he suddenly does in the last book!), with one big exception.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAuror View Post
I think a person like Hermoine was eventually unfulfilled, ultimately unsatisfied with the outcome of S.P.E.W., even when taken to a professional level in that new department of the MoM she founded. Perhaps she concluded that she could only do so much without forcing the house elves against their will, perhaps she realised this was the way it was meant to be in the celestial order of creation of JKR's universe.
And this was the exception. Ron coasted along, accepting certain wizarding beliefs without question. Hermione has the Amnesty International spirit of her creator. Moreover, and this cannot be emphasized enough, house-elf slavery was NOT meant to be as part of some celestial order. One of the strongest messages Rowling is trying to communicate is the anti-Tory (embodied by Slytherin house) philosophy of natural order, with greatness begetting greatness. It was wizards who enslaved the house-elfs, not nature, and one of the main lessons we get from Hallows is that elves have completely human feelings.

In evolutionary theory, there is a law (Fisher's Law) which states that the rate of evolution scales to the variance within the population. I think that Rowling is doing something similar with Hermione. Hermione represents "hybrid vigor" and is a variant who has (obviously) been exposed to liberal social beliefs. Both of her parents are highly educated professionals (dentists) and they have only one child, both of which speak to liberal social views. "Mudblood and proud of it" hints that perhaps the Granger's social views are very much in line with Rowling's. So, I would expect that Rowling sees Hermione as someone who increases the rate at which the wizarding world evolves socially. Rowling did say that Hermione is responsible for eliminating many old Tory laws favoring the Purebloods. One wonders what Hermione accomplished on behalf of house-elfs.

Although it is a little off-topic, one wonders what Dobby's sacrifice would have accomplished along these lines. No doubt Harry, Ron and Hermione lionized Dobby as a hero, without whom Voldemort would have triumphed. This would really have forced the issue that Dobby accomplished this only by breaking the strict social rules enslaving house-elfs. Kreacher's conversion might have been important there. At any rate, Dobby would be ready ammo for Hermione's goals, and Hermione would have ample fodder to show how independent house-elfs (like Dobby) can do much good whereas obedient house-elfs (like Winky) can cause much harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
I think Hermione worries too much, so the thoughts might intrude on her happy thought. Either that, or Harry was just kidding her a bit - keeping things light in a tense situation.
Well, Hermione is a fretter! However, Harry seems exceptional in his ability to easily generate a Patronus while so young. It is supposed to be very advanced magic.

One thing that did surprise me was Hermione having Rose so young. Quite frankly, I would have expected her and Ron to postpone kids for quite a while: indeed, women like Hermione that I know usually did not have kids (if at all) until their late 30's (Hermione's age at the end of the book). Similarly, Ron, who so clearly shows the emotional scars of having been buried in an overlarge family, does not seem the sort who would have been in any rush to get entangled in family. Still, from a literary point of view, that was the only way to get them to King's Cross with Harry's kids, as Harry certainly is someone who would have wanted a family of his own quickly.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old August 31st, 2007, 8:16 am
Sixth Year

They waited 8 years.

Old August 31st, 2007, 8:22 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
I think Harry was trying to assure Mrs Cattermole. Imagine being rescued by two people who you think are supposed to persecute you, and then one of them fails to perform a vital spell! I would have felt extremely put-off if I were in her position!

Hermione is unfortunately prone to panic attacks. Harry's arrival was very sudden, Hermione had been quite frightened by the interrogations, and there were still Dementors and hordes of enemy wizards to deal with. She might have just had difficulty with thinking of a happy memory, in that particular moment, because of the stress she was in.

At other times, such as in DA meetings in OotP, and then later on in DH during the battle, Hermione conjures Patronuses without a great deal of trouble.

Old September 1st, 2007, 7:05 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think you're right, Magi- Mrs Cattermole and several of the others had had their wands confiscated, and probably felt more helpless than anyone should in a battle. But Hermione ultimately manages it, all the same- remember, even Harry took a couple of tries to get his Patronus out when the Dementors attacked him and Dudley.

Old September 1st, 2007, 7:09 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
I think you're right, Magi- Mrs Cattermole and several of the others had had their wands confiscated, and probably felt more helpless than anyone should in a battle. But Hermione ultimately manages it, all the same- remember, even Harry took a couple of tries to get his Patronus out when the Dementors attacked him and Dudley.
Yeah...I also think Harry might have helped Hermione produce it by reassuring Mrs Cattermole and lightening up the mood for a split second. That might have allowed Hermione to refocus.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old September 1st, 2007, 7:49 pm
MODLY CREW

3.Hermione is very intuitive when it comes to others' emotions. She seems to understand a lot about how both Cho and Harry are feeling during their "relationship" and notices Harry's feelings for Ginny before anyone else. She also berates Ron a lot for his "emotional range of a teaspoon" which implies that she notices how people feel more than he does. However, she hardly ever talks about her own feelings, and most of them are expressed only through actions, like the flock of birds in HBP. Is this related in anyway to her insecurity?

I'm not sure. It could also be due to the fact that we only see her through Harry's eyes and, although their friendship is very close, the trio has never really talked about feelings. She might have been more open with Ginny, who apparently knows quite a few things that Ron and Harry did not care about or avoided to bring up.

How does her relationship with Ron and Harry affect this part of personality?

Well, I think they always admired her but didn't really give her much confidence in regard to girly things. It took them about four years to notice that she is a girl and it took them even longer to really appreciate her. Hermione was always part of the group but she is the only girl. Ron and Harry shared a room and were like brothers. I think it was often difficult for her to fit in.

Old September 4th, 2007, 4:12 am
First Year

Quote:
I'm just wondering why Hermione always stuck to Harry, and it was never Ron or Ginny. What about Hermione's character causes this?
I do think this is the amazing thing about Hermione. I do think she is the most loyal character in the book. Loyalty is so much more important to her than school. Even though she knows he isn't the best teacher Hermione will not let Umbridge sack Hagrid. As opposed to Ravenclaw students who think he is a bit of a "joke". Her intelligence is only a tool she used to help others. She is the only character of the series who is always there for Harry. She has never abandoned him. There has never been a time when he needed her and she wasn't there for him. There was never a time when she let her own problems get in the way of helping him. In that sense, I don't think she was ever fully appreciated.

Quote:
One thing that did surprise me was Hermione having Rose so young. Quite frankly, I would have expected her and Ron to postpone kids for quite a while: indeed, women like Hermione that I know usually did not have kids (if at all) until their late 30's (Hermione's age at the end of the book)
Well, Ginny had had a baby. And something really does change when your friends start having kids. Its not peer pressure. Or keeping up with the Jones. But sometimes you see how it changes your friends lives and you realize that you want that as well. Hermione just has so much love and is such a natural mom, I can see her suddenly getting the urge. In some ways, she was practically a mom to Harry and ron. Its something she does love.

Quote:
I think a person like Hermoine was eventually unfulfilled, ultimately unsatisfied with the outcome of S.P.E.W., even when taken to a professional level in that new department of the MoM she founded. Perhaps she concluded that she could only do so much without forcing the house elves against their will, perhaps she realised this was the way it was meant to be in the celestial order of creation of JKR's universe.
I agree with Wimsey that there is no celestial order that makes enslavement OK. As long as there is one Dobby or Kreacher out there who is unhappy in their situation the order is not all right. As long as there is one master out there like Crouch, who will terminate service on a whim, its not OK. I do think that SPEW was partially played for laughs. But it was more a sense of a liberal having a laugh at like minded people, as we all do. Because those campaigns are often funny and you sometimes lose track of what is really important. But then there was the sobering moment when you realized that if only Sirius had listened to Hermione maybe he would be alive today. That she was right all a long. And you realize what was funny was her over the top way of going about it never the attitude or the belief.

Quote:
Given her profound interest in seeking justice and peace, her search for knowledge, I think it is not more than natural for her to pursue a career in justice and investigation.
I don't think that would suit Hermione, although she would be very good at it. When Ron and Harry were discussing their futures as Aurors she was somewhat dismissive of it because she wanted to do good. The thing with Hermione is she does see the big picture. Harry gets that Dobby should be freed. Hermione understands that Dobby represents a greater injustice. I think she would be more happy changing the institutions that allow enslavement or that allow pure blood laws. Make the world better for people who don't even know they have been wronged. And making sure it remains better for generations. It seems as though that is what she does. Rather than taking on injustice case by case. No matter how many bad wizards you put in jail, you will never stop bad wizards from committing crimes. But if you change laws that affect werewolves or muggle borns then slowly, over time, you may be able to change the attitudes that create them. That is more Hermione's speed.

Last edited by Cheruth; September 4th, 2007 at 4:16 am.
Old September 5th, 2007, 4:18 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Hermione Granger. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

JKR's websiteI have often said that Hermione was a bit like me when I was younger.I think I was seen by other people as a right little know-it-all, but I hope thait it is clear that underneath Hermione's swottiness is a lot of insecurity and a great fear of failure

Hermione's afraid of failure,so as defense mechanism, she studies obsessively and tries very hard to do everything literally by-the-book. How have her insecurities and defense mechanisms affected her development as a character throughout the series, and what are some other ones? In what ways have they hindered or helped her ? What causes her to feel this way, and has she become more secure with herself throughout the series?
If she wasn't afraid of failure she might have tried to get with Ron earlier. Maybe she'd have more friends. Well, she doesn't need more friends as she's close to Ron and Harry, but what I mean is Ron and Harry become friends on the train, maybe if Hermione wasn't into being so perfect she could've made a friend (which includes Ron and Harry) on the train ride or in her dormitory.
We don't see Hermione before she attends Hogwarts, maybe there's something in her childhood, the way a kid at her muggle school treats her or something that makes her feel insecure. Maybe it's because she's an only child so she feels she needs to be the best for her parents. Or maybe it's because she's a muggle-born and feels she has to do better than other witches and wizards to prove herself in that world.

Quote:
3.Hermione is very intuitive when it comes to others' emotions. She seems to understand a lot about how both Cho and Harry are feeling during their "relationship" and notices Harry's feelings for Ginny before anyone else. She also berates Ron a lot for his "emotional range of a teaspoon" which implies that she notices how people feel more than he does. However, she hardly ever talks about her own feelings, and most of them are expressed only through actions, like the flock of birds in HBP. Is this related in anyway to her insecurity? How does her relationship with Ron and Harry affect this part of personality? How do her relationships with other girls ( Ginny, Luna, Parvati, Lavendar, Pansy, etc.) affect it? Or how do they reflect that part of her?
I think her lack of expressing her feelings is related to her insecurity. She doesn't want to fail and expressing some emotions could be like failing to her. Expressing how she feels about Ron could be failure if he doesn't feel the same way.
I personally think she's afraid to fit in with the other girls because she doesn't think that she's as good as them at being girly. I'm not sure if there's anything in the canon to prove this, it's just what I feel. The only girl friend she has is the sister of one of her best friends. She was already comfortable and didn't have to worry about being a girl. I think this helps to hinder her obtaining Ron as a boyfriend. She doesn't think she's as good as the other girls so why would Ron want her? It probably hurts her more that the girl Ron is snogging all the time in her six year is the very girl that she's not. Hermione's no Lavendar or Parvati, so she wouldn't get along with them anyway. They're giggly girls, she's not. They believe (or at least pretend to) in things like Divination. Hermione's not afraid to admit she doesn't.

Quote:
4. Hermione, being Muggleborn, must travel back and forth between the "Muggle world" in which her parents live and the wizarding world in which the majority of events in her life take place. She doesn't go home as often as some of the other students, choosing to spend time either at Hogwarts or with the Weasleys. When she becomes a prefect she comments that she wants to tell her parents because it will be something they will understand. What does this say about her connection to the wizarding world and her relationship with her parents? What do you think of her decision to modify her parent's memories?
I think Hermione is a girl that wants to tell her parents everything that goes on in her life, but she can't because they don't understand. I'm not from England, but I believe that in muggle boarding schools they have prefects, too, so that is something from both worlds. She finally has something to talk to them about.
I believe she spends time away from her parents for two reasons. The first one is that her parents might work a lot and be happier if Hermione was not home alone (there is nothing in canon that supports this, it's just a thought). The other is that she is a witch and her parents are muggles. She wants to be with people she can relate to. Even though it probably saddens them, her parents probably understand. That and what's going in with her two friends, Ron and Harry, just happens to be much more exciting than spending summers and Christmases with her parents.
I think her decision to modify her parents' memories is two-fold. On the outside, she's saving them from being harmed and from having to deal with losing a daughter, if that happened. On the inside it gives her freedom. They can't hold her back. They can't find out what's really going on in the wizarding world and try to force her to stay home. She doesn't have to worry about them, since they aren't in danger anymore.
Quote:
5. What does Hermione contribute to the Trio, both on a normal social basis and in the challenges they face together throughout the series? How do her strengths get them through things, and how do her weaknesses hold them back?
Hermione's the smart one. She's the reader. She's the one who turns to books for knowledge. She does the research. Harry finds out what's going on and she finds out why. He couldn't solve the basilisk without knowing that he couldn't look in it's eyes. He couldn't solve Quirrellmort without Hermione figuring out what potion he should take. He couldn't have saved Sirius without Hermione being so into learning that she takes so many classes that she needs a Time-Turner. Leading the D.A. might've been much harder without Hermione thinking of such things as bewitching the Galleons and all that.
Hermione does a lot of reading ahead. She knows about things that have yet to be taught in class. She knows protective spells and a very useful enlargement spell because she's interested and thinks it might come in handy one day. This is very different than Harry and Ron. Ron doesn't go ahead of the class. He's not that type of student. He won't know anything more than what is taught in class. Harry only goes ahead when he has to know something to face whatever he's about to face. He only knows about Expecto Patronum because he has to face Dementors. If Dementors never set foot on Hogwarts grounds, he'd never learn it until it was part of the lesson. Hermione might learn it for the sake of it. She reads it in a book and wants to try it out.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old September 5th, 2007, 9:15 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheruth View Post
I agree with Wimsey that there is no celestial order that makes enslavement OK. As long as there is one Dobby or Kreacher out there who is unhappy in their situation the order is not all right. As long as there is one master out there like Crouch, who will terminate service on a whim, its not OK. I do think that SPEW was partially played for laughs. But it was more a sense of a liberal having a laugh at like minded people, as we all do. Because those campaigns are often funny and you sometimes lose track of what is really important. But then there was the sobering moment when you realized that if only Sirius had listened to Hermione maybe he would be alive today. That she was right all a long. And you realize what was funny was her over the top way of going about it never the attitude or the belief.

I don't think that would suit Hermione, although she would be very good at it. When Ron and Harry were discussing their futures as Aurors she was somewhat dismissive of it because she wanted to do good. The thing with Hermione is she does see the big picture. Harry gets that Dobby should be freed. Hermione understands that Dobby represents a greater injustice. I think she would be more happy changing the institutions that allow enslavement or that allow pure blood laws. Make the world better for people who don't even know they have been wronged. And making sure it remains better for generations. It seems as though that is what she does. Rather than taking on injustice case by case. No matter how many bad wizards you put in jail, you will never stop bad wizards from committing crimes. But if you change laws that affect werewolves or muggle borns then slowly, over time, you may be able to change the attitudes that create them. That is more Hermione's speed.
True and I admit I was wrong in the 'celestial order' paragraph in my original post in this thread. I will have to read the books a couple times more to let everything sink in. Hopefully I then can make connections like these myself. For now I'll have to rely on the encyclopedic knowledge of many of the posters here.

I was trying to figure out for myself what SPEW could stand for, in the allegory of the 20/21th century's UK society that the HP world is. I can only think about something like animal rights movement, which in its extremist form is actually a subject of investigation by the UK government and secret services.

I think that a bright, middle class child like Hermoine in real society could well be a fierce supporter of the animal rights movement during her adolescence years when any teenager rebels against parents, teachers and society at large. But then she would most likely turn vegetarian, which is clearly not the case in the HP novels.

Part of the problem is of course that JKR didn't write this part of Hermione's life and occupations to a close in the final book. So it keeps us guessing and discussing in these forums, which is fun and interesting in itself.

As for a future career for Hermione, I was just fantasizing along the lines of our current muggle society if a person like her actually exists. I honestly don't know which job opportunites the magical world can offer for bright young witches of her caliber.

And after all, she is just a character in a fantasy novel, isn't she?

"don't worry, you are just as sane as I am" - Luna Lovegood

Last edited by TheAuror; September 5th, 2007 at 9:26 am. Reason: typos and formulation
Old September 16th, 2007, 2:48 pm
First Year

Hermione's relationship with her parents puzzles me. She certainly is caring for them and at the same time very distant from them emotionally.

Since both her parents are said to be dentists, with a busy professional life most likely, it could well be they hadn't much time for her during school days. What if Hermione has been raised by a nanny, her parents could almost certainly afford this. How would this affect her character as we know it?

She doesn't seem to be able to cook very well while in hiding with the boys during their 'camping trip'. Could this indicate that she didn't spent much time with her mother, many girls like to be with their mothers in the kitchen, helping out etc.

Hermione Jean Granger

!! Girl Power !!
Old September 16th, 2007, 2:57 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

I think her realtionship with her parents is out of the books because it's irrelevant to the plot and to her character. They do take her to family trips- skiing, France; they go with her on her school shopping, so I think they are a normal family, just their family dynamics is completely unnecessary to the story, and therefore left out.

Old September 16th, 2007, 4:03 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeadedPurse View Post
Hermione's relationship with her parents puzzles me. She certainly is caring for them and at the same time very distant from them emotionally.

Since both her parents are said to be dentists, with a busy professional life most likely, it could well be they hadn't much time for her during school days. What if Hermione has been raised by a nanny, her parents could almost certainly afford this. How would this affect her character as we know it?

She doesn't seem to be able to cook very well while in hiding with the boys during their 'camping trip'. Could this indicate that she didn't spent much time with her mother, many girls like to be with their mothers in the kitchen, helping out etc.
I think that it is merely because of plot purposes that we don't hear much about Hermione's home life. But her relationship with her parents seems to be pretty good--she goes home to see them at Christmas on occasion, buys them Christmas presents, goes on holiday with them, etc. She is not able to relate with them on a lot of levels because of her being magical, but in all other respects, I think the relationship is good

It is possible that their mother/daughter activities are concentrated outside the kitchen, especially if they have a maid who does the cooking. Or she does not have an aptitude for cooking

"No trial, no error, no ability to conceptualize. Perfection would make us obsolete. Many magnificent things have been, and will continue to come into existence. And yet every last one of them will fall short of perfection's finish. Our function as men of science relies on their many shortcomings. Then, and only then, can we apply the fruits of our labor."--Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
Old September 16th, 2007, 5:17 pm
I want to believe

1. Hermione's afraid of failure,so as defense mechanism, she studies obsessively and tries very hard to do everything literally by-the-book. How have her insecurities and defense mechanisms affected her development as a character throughout the series, and what are some other ones? In what ways have they hindered or helped her ? What causes her to feel this way, and has she become more secure with herself throughout the series?
Hermione's insecurities sometimes hold her back from succeeding, such as when she was unable to face the boggart during her exam for DADA in PoA. But the fact that she makes up for her insecurities by focusing extra hard on her academics has made her a very intelligent individual. Though I think her intense focus on academics has made her a tad socially awkward and sometimes a bit insensitive to others' feelings when she employs logic (as in the incident where Lavender's bunny died and she was trying to rationalize it in regards to Trelawney's prediction). But I think Hermione has definitely grown and matured throughout the series. I believe she has grown out of some of her insecurities.

2. Hermione repeatedly defends and helps those who can't defend or help themselves. Early in the series, on the first ride on the Hogwarts Express, she starts helping Neville out with his toad and continues to help him out in Potions despite being told not to. In PoA she also works very hard to make a defense for Buckbeak, and in GoF she starts S.P.E.W. to end the opression of house elves. How similar is this to Harry's "saving people thing," and what does it say about her character?
This is, in fact, very similar to Harry's "saving people thing". The only difference is that she's not physically rushing to their rescue like Harry is - in these cases she's helping people who are underprivelaged or misrepresented with words and with academics. SPEW was all about gaining rights for the marginalized House Elves; Buckbeak's defense was to save an innocent creature from an unfair execution. In many cases she's saving people socially rather than physically. Her "saving-people-thing" is on a smaller scale I think than Harry's, and she's not always saving people from death, but it's no less important.

Hermione and her emotions is an interesting topic. I think it could be related to her insecurity, but also it may be a case of her putting herself in the other person's shoes and imagining how she would feel in a given situation. In her relationships with other girls, I think she's better able to connect with them if she can understand/imagine what they might be feeling.

I think Hermione might be feeling a little out of place at home, like she's living two separate lives. Her parents can't understand much of what goes on in the wizarding world, so in essence, they don't understand half of who she is. That's got to be hard, not being able to tell your parents of your accomplishments because they wouldn't truly be able to appreciate it. Perhaps this could be where her insecurities stemmed - in her parents inability to connect with the wizarding world. So she focuses on her academics as a means to be able to tell her parents she's doing excellent in school (which they an appreciate). It sounds to me like Hermione is a bit distant with her parents, and the distance grows as the story goes on, since she becomes more and more involved in the wizarding world. I think her decision to modify her parents' memories shows that, but at the same time, it also shows how much she cares for them.

Hermione contributes the brains of the trio. She's the voice of logic and reason, and she's the one who provides them with much information crucial to the success of whatever they happened to be trying to accomplish. On a normal basis she kind of serves to keep Ron and Harry on track - reminding them of things they should be doing, people they should be seeing, etc. Her strengths allow Harry to succeed (or at least stay alive ) during his dangerous tasks. As for her weaknesses, I guess she's not as able to improvise in situations as Ron and Harry are; she's sometimes a little inflexible. So occasionally that holds the trio back.

6. What do you think Hermione went on to do post DH? What consequences did its events have for her?
I think Rowling said she went on to work in the Department of Magical Creatures, or something like that, working to establish more rights for house elves and other underprivelaged creatures/beings.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies