Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Old August 27th, 2007, 8:49 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I think that Hermoine the prefect brought out a lot of this amusing behavior that might not have been so amusing in real life. Like her reaction to Weasley's Wizard Wheezes experiments in the common room.
Oh, God, I LOVED that scene! All my favourite scenes are with Hermione, and this comes second, I think, to the scene where she makes that little theatre gig with Parvati in the Great Hall in HBP. There in the Common Room, when the twins are so obviously disregarding her and smirking at her, how she draws herself up and her hair is full of electricity - and she practically hammers them down - oh, it was such vindictive peasure! I just adore reading that scene. The thought that Hermione is the first and only person with authority in school who can actually scare the twins out of their arrogance is practically the best gift Jo could have given me. (As you would have guessed, the twins aren't exactly my favourite characters.) Hermione is just so strong in every sense of the word.

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2007, 3:51 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Hermione mad = on my don't-mess-with list. The theatre gig with Parvati...Oppugno...Rita...Umbridge...Malfoy...she 's quite good at getting even

I won't even speculate as to how she and Ron get along during fights as a married couple

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 27th, 2007, 5:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Hermione mad = on my don't-mess-with list. The theatre gig with Parvati...Oppugno...Rita...Umbridge...Malfoy...she 's quite good at getting even
Yes she is! But the twins scene is the best of her getting-even scenes, because thetwins are a tall order - nobody can disturb them is the slightest until Hermione-the-prefect comes onto the stage. Oh, she is just perfect!

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
I won't even speculate as to how she and Ron get along during fights as a married couple
I feel like Hermione and Ron had a similar relationship to Molly and Arthur.

Old August 28th, 2007, 1:50 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia View Post
I think Horcrux!Riddle would have tried to do something else in order to prevent Hermione from destroying the locket. I don't believe that the Horcrux ever bothered getting to know Hermione the way that it did Ron. My reasoning is that the Horcrux had a real goal, other than generally sowing dissent and discord among the trio. From what we saw of the diary Horcrux, Horcruxes evidently aren't content to stay safe in their chosen vessel--they seem to want to take over another person so that they can pursue their own agenda. If that's the case, then the bit of Riddle in the locket most likely evaluated each member of the trio, and chose the person it wanted to go after, in this case Ron (Hmmm. I think I'll post a bit more about this on the 'Ron Weasley's Abandonment...' thread.) I believe that Riddle would have rejected Hermione from the very start because as a Muggleborn, he would consider her an unworthy vessel for his soul. So if it came down to Hermione with the sword, I think Riddle would have tried a different tack--perhaps he would have tried to force Harry to stop her somehow.

As long as I'm thinking about Horcruxes, I also think Hufflepuff's cup didn't give Hermione the least bit of trouble. The Horcruxes also seem to need a bit of time to work on their intended victim, and the trio had the cup for only about a day (I may take that back--the locket appears to latch on to Ron almost immediately). No matter, the same reasoning about Riddle not bothering to learn about Hermione would apply in this situation anyway.
In response to the point about Hufflepuff's cup not giving Hermione any trouble (unlike the locket, with Ron)- they only had it for a little more than a day, added to which, as Ron pointed out, they couldn't wear it. Hermione never had to deal with its presence the way she did with the locket- which must have taken time out to get to know each of the Trio, if Riddle's diary had no compunctions using the child of a blood traitor to wreak havoc at Hogwarts.

Old August 28th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Third Year

I've always thought that the reason Hermione like Ron more romantically than Harry, is because she spent a lot more time with Harry during school in every book, so I think they knew each other well enough to know they don't like each other that way. I also find it interesting that in every book, Harry and Hermione spend more time together than Hermione and Ron, whether through Ron's own jealousy or his heroism. In the first book, Hermione goes a bit further with Harry towards the Stone than Ron does, although this is because of Ron's bravery. In the second book she spends little time with either of them. In the third book Harry and Hermione do the whole time-turner thing together. In the fourth book they spend a huge mount of time together, where Harry and Hermione realise they'll definitely never be more than best friends. In the fifth book, they go down to the forest together with Hagrid & Umbridge, in the sixth book the spend a lot of time together while Ron is with Lavender and in the seventh, Ron leaves them. I'm just wondering why Hermione always stuck to Harry, and it was never Ron or Ginny. What about Hermione's character causes this?

“But that’s – I’m sorry, but that’s completely ridiculous! How can I possibly prove it doesn’t exist? Do you expect me to get hold of – of all the pebbles in the world and test them? I mean, you could claim that anything’s real if the only basis for believing in it is that nobody’s proved it doesn’t exist!” [DH 21]
Old August 28th, 2007, 3:24 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I think it's our point-of-view as much as anything - if Hermione and Ron were together we didn't see it. They were together much of OoTP opening, GoF opening, and a few other times that she got to the Burrow / etc ahead of Harry - but it was off the pages because we were with Harry.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old August 28th, 2007, 3:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Boy View Post
I've always thought that the reason Hermione like Ron more romantically than Harry, is because she spent a lot more time with Harry during school in every book, so I think they knew each other well enough to know they don't like each other that way. I also find it interesting that in every book, Harry and Hermione spend more time together than Hermione and Ron, whether through Ron's own jealousy or his heroism.
But everything between them started from book one, when they barely knew each other, or so I felt. I knew it back then, that they would get together. I think they were just meant for each other. And Hermione had a lot of time in those seven years to get to know Ron just as well as she does Harry, and she still likes him romantically. I think she knows his just as well, she has exhibited her excellent understanding of both of them several times in different books, on different stages of their relationships. But it was always Ron, because that's how it was supposed to be, in my opinion. Some people are just meant to fall in love.

Quote:
I'm just wondering why Hermione always stuck to Harry, and it was never Ron or Ginny. What about Hermione's character causes this?
Her extreme loyalty, in my opinion. She has shown that she would never ever leave a friend in need. A good example of this is her attitude in book 3, after she handed Harry's broom to McGonagall and the boys weren't speaking to her. We know from Hagrid that she was so scared for them both, after the attack in the dormitory, that she was concerned and was constantly crying. And through all this, she was still putting her very limited time and her efforts into helping Hagrid with Buckbeak's case, because Hagrid was her friend, too. I think that illustrates quite nicely why Hermione always sticks to Harry.

Old August 28th, 2007, 4:48 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Boy View Post
What about Hermione's character causes this?
I suppose it's just because the books from Harry's point of view that we don't know how much time Ron and Hermione spend together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
But everything between them started from book one, when they barely knew each other, or so I felt. I knew it back then, that they would get together. I think they were just meant for each other. And Hermione had a lot of time in those seven years to get to know Ron just as well as she does Harry, and she still likes him romantically. I think she knows his just as well, she has exhibited her excellent understanding of both of them several times in different books, on different stages of their relationships. But it was always Ron, because that's how it was supposed to be, in my opinion. Some people are just meant to fall in love.
I never really seriously considered H/Hr at all.Strangely enough it was in book 6 that I started to see where the h/Hr shippers were coming from,.Though I do wonder why she never felt anything for Harry,they do seem to have more in common,you'd think she prefer him(personality wise I mean)

Old August 28th, 2007, 6:09 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I never thought of an H/Hr possibility till I went online, and entertained it for a while after watching the CoS movie. And she and Harry are much more like each other than Ron would ever be, but it's as Harry said- he loves her, but like a sister. They're both given to introspection and worrying, you rarely see them joke together- Harry observes as much in GoF.

Old August 28th, 2007, 6:13 pm

Just in case my previous post wasn't clear, I was talking about Ron and Hermione, not Harry and Hermione. It never occurred to me that Harry could fall for anyone, to be honest.

Old August 28th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Just in case my previous post wasn't clear, I was talking about Ron and Hermione, not Harry and Hermione. It never occurred to me that Harry could fall for anyone, to be honest.
You mean throughout the entire books?

Old August 28th, 2007, 7:50 pm
Third Year

I was never a Hermione and Harry shipper. Well, I was for the first book then I changed my mind. After reading the 2nd book, I could really never see Hermione liking Harry.That is just me though.

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Old August 28th, 2007, 8:01 pm
MODLY CREW

Could we please avoid turning this into a shipping thread? Thanks.

Old August 28th, 2007, 8:15 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
What does Hermione contribute to the Trio, both on a normal social basis and in the challenges they face together throughout the series? How do her strengths get them through things, and how do her weaknesses hold them back?
I felt Hermione was a very strong character. Her intelligence and caution was very helpful to the trio throughout all of their challenges. I think she had a great many strengths, too many to enumerate, but each came to the fore as challenges were presented and even in her interpersonal relationship with her friends.

It is hard for me to pinpoint Hermione's weaknesses, because at times they turn out to be strengths. For example, I could say she was over-cautious at times, but her caution worked for the trio on many occassions in a helpful way.

I think Hermione proved herself to be not only an asset to the trio against their quest for Voldemort's elimination, but also as a very good and loyal friend to both Harry and Ron. She also showed a lot of compassion and friendliness to others that the trio encountered throughout the series - except of course those who were deliberately antagonistic toward her or her friends.

In sum, Hermione's character melded perfectly with Ron's and Harry's to allow the trio to carry the series in a very interesting, complex and engaging way.

Old August 28th, 2007, 8:22 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
In sum, Hermione's character melded perfectly with Ron's and Harry's to allow the trio to carry the series in a very interesting, complex and engaging way.
They needed the strengths of all 3 to be able to complete their task. Dumbledore recognized this in HBP, which is why he had Harry tell Hermione and Ron in the first place. Hermione's rock-star like performance at times in DH would not have been capable without the help of the others, and the others wouldn't have done as well as they did without her.

Old August 28th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
You mean throughout the entire books?
Well, after Cho showed up, I had to think about it, obviously But generally, yeah, I never gave it any thought.

Old August 29th, 2007, 12:17 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Over the years, as Hermione grew closer to the boys, she's also become much more of a risk-taker than she originally was, while not mending her must-research-one-thousand-times ways. The Hermione we first meet in PS (pre-troll) would never have thought of magicking the Horcrux books out of Dumbledore's study, but she shows quite a commitment to breaking rules when she believes it's for a good cause (the Polyjuice Potion in CoS, the Time-Turner, suggesting the DA under Umbridge's very nose).

Old August 29th, 2007, 1:43 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
but she shows quite a commitment to breaking rules when she believes it's for a good cause (the Polyjuice Potion in CoS, the Time-Turner, suggesting the DA under Umbridge's very nose).
I think it was this inner trait that landed her in Gryffindor over Ravenclaw. We see the first hint of this is SS/PS, when she takes the blame for chasing the troll - lying to McGonagall in the process, too.

Old August 29th, 2007, 3:44 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglesrock View Post
I also loved the fact that Hermione was so prepared in DH. It was totally in character for her to research, get everything ready for the Horcrux Hunt etc. One of my favorite parts, though, has to be when we see that Hermione was right all along about Kreacher!
Hasn't it always been a theme throughout the series that Hermione always turns out to be right in the end of the book, in some form or the other?

Yeah, I agree about the "preparation" part. Its so much Hermione-ish to prepare for almost every possibility and danger and I loved her for it in DH!

She was amazing in DH!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies