Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Hermione Granger: Character Analysis



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:33 pm
hermy_weasley2's Avatar
hermy_weasley2  Female.gif hermy_weasley2 is offline
Unspeakable
 
Joined: 5545 days
Age: 30
Posts: 2,133
Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Hermione Granger. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis



1.
JKR's websiteI have often said that Hermione was a bit like me when I was younger.I think I was seen by other people as a right little know-it-all, but I hope thait it is clear that underneath Hermione's swottiness is a lot of insecurity and a great fear of failure


Hermione's afraid of failure,so as defense mechanism, she studies obsessively and tries very hard to do everything literally by-the-book. How have her insecurities and defense mechanisms affected her development as a character throughout the series, and what are some other ones? In what ways have they hindered or helped her ? What causes her to feel this way, and has she become more secure with herself throughout the series?

2. Hermione repeatedly defends and helps those who can't defend or help themselves. Early in the series, on the first ride on the Hogwarts Express, she starts helping Neville out with his toad and continues to help him out in Potions despite being told not to. In PoA she also works very hard to make a defense for Buckbeak, and in GoF she starts S.P.E.W. to end the opression of house elves. How similar is this to Harry's "saving people thing," and what does it say about her character?

3.Hermione is very intuitive when it comes to others' emotions. She seems to understand a lot about how both Cho and Harry are feeling during their "relationship" and notices Harry's feelings for Ginny before anyone else. She also berates Ron a lot for his "emotional range of a teaspoon" which implies that she notices how people feel more than he does. However, she hardly ever talks about her own feelings, and most of them are expressed only through actions, like the flock of birds in HBP. Is this related in anyway to her insecurity? How does her relationship with Ron and Harry affect this part of personality? How do her relationships with other girls ( Ginny, Luna, Parvati, Lavendar, Pansy, etc.) affect it? Or how do they reflect that part of her?

4. Hermione, being Muggleborn, must travel back and forth between the "Muggle world" in which her parents live and the wizarding world in which the majority of events in her life take place. She doesn't go home as often as some of the other students, choosing to spend time either at Hogwarts or with the Weasleys. When she becomes a prefect she comments that she wants to tell her parents because it will be something they will understand. What does this say about her connection to the wizarding world and her relationship with her parents? What do you think of her decision to modify her parent's memories?

5. What does Hermione contribute to the Trio, both on a normal social basis and in the challenges they face together throughout the series? How do her strengths get them through things, and how do her weaknesses hold them back?

6. What do you think Hermione went on to do post DH? What consequences did its events have for her?


__________________
Avatar created by Vita

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:13 pm.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old July 24th, 2007, 8:41 am
koli  Female.gif koli is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5468 days
Location: long island, New York
Age: 30
Posts: 395
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

1.
JKR's websiteI have often said that Hermione was a bit like me when I was younger.I think I was seen by other people as a right little know-it-all, but I hope thait it is clear that underneath Hermione's swottiness is a lot of insecurity and a great fear of failure


Hermione's afraid of failure,so as defense mechanism, she studies obsessively and tries very hard to do everything literally by-the-book. How have her insecurities and defense mechanisms affected her development as a character throughout the series, and what are some other ones? In what ways have they hindered or helped her ? What causes her to feel this way, and has she become more secure with herself throughout the series?

I think that hermione definately has insecurities, but I definately don't think that they get in the way of her development. For example, she knows her hair is bushy and uses a product on it for the Yule ball, but realizes that it's silly to do that every day. I know her insecurities and fears go deeper than vanity, however I think that for the most part Hermione is sensible and strong. I feel that being a muggleborn she was slightly unaware of the prejudice that awaited her in the wizard world, however, I think she did exceptionally well with it. She doesn't shy away easily and she proves herself continually. It doesn't hurt that everyone thinks she's the brightest witch of her age. I think the fear and insecurity of being a muggleborn is at it's peak in DH. There are consequences for being muggleborn, however this is good and bad for Hermione. It obviously pains her that muggleborns are seen this way, but it also provides as motivation to win the fight against Voldie and scum like Umbridge.

2. Hermione repeatedly defends and helps those who can't defend or help themselves. Early in the series, on the first ride on the Hogwarts Express, she starts helping Neville out with his toad and continues to help him out in Potions despite being told not to. In PoA she also works very hard to make a defense for Buckbeak, and in GoF she starts S.P.E.W. to end the opression of house elves. How similar is this to Harry's "saving people thing," and what does it say about her character?

I think that Hermione has always shown a profoundly deep understanding of right and wrong. She understands how wrong it is to enslave the houseelves against their will and how it's wrong to prosecute Buckbeak for doing what hippogriffs do. I think also that she understands that it's right to help them. When the Minister asks her (in DH) if she has any intent on following a career in law enforcement she says she wants to do some good in the world. Her desire to do right and wrong is similiar to Harry's heroics, but different at the same time. I think Hermione's actions are of a moral nature and Harry's heroics are his bravery and chivalry. Basically Hermione and Harry are great Griffyndors.

3.Hermione is very intuitive when it comes to others' emotions. She seems to understand a lot about how both Cho and Harry are feeling during their "relationship" and notices Harry's feelings for Ginny before anyone else. She also berates Ron a lot for his "emotional range of a teaspoon" which implies that she notices how people feel more than he does. However, she hardly ever talks about her own feelings, and most of them are expressed only through actions, like the flock of birds in HBP. Is this related in anyway to her insecurity? How does her relationship with Ron and Harry affect this part of personality? How do her relationships with other girls ( Ginny, Luna, Parvati, Lavendar, Pansy, etc.) affect it? Or how do they reflect that part of her?

I think Hermione is very reserved in showing her feelings. Hermione is a very controlled and disciplined person and wearing her heart on her sleeve just isn't in her personality. She has little outburts now and again, but they are always provoked. I don't think insecurity has much to do with expressing her feelings. I just think she's quite introverted with her feelings and it's just her personality.

4. Hermione, being Muggleborn, must travel back and forth between the "Muggle world" in which her parents live and the wizarding world in which the majority of events in her life take place. She doesn't go home as often as some of the other students, choosing to spend time either at Hogwarts or with the Weasleys. When she becomes a prefect she comments that she wants to tell her parents because it will be something they will understand. What does this say about her connection to the wizarding world and her relationship with her parents? What do you think of her decision to modify her parent's memories?

I think that Hermione has a wonderful relationship with her parents. I also think she had to have been raised in a loving and nurturing environment for her to be the person she is. She is comfortable enough with her parents to ask to miss spending holidays with them, rather than fear they would get offended and bother not asking. THey had to have been nurturing to foster her thirst for knowledge. It is apparant that Hermione is the type of student that tries hard on her own accord and not because she is pressured by her parents. I think that everytime she misses spending time at home with her parents it's because she really is needed somewhere else- meaning with Harry and Ron fighting evil. And I think she modifies her parents memories because she knows it's the only way she can protect them. She loves them enough to suffer severing ties with them. She'd rather lose her parents temporarily than have them be killed because she is magical and they are not. I think that it's a selfless action and very admirable. Harry sees how pained she is when she is telling him what she had done.

5. What does Hermione contribute to the Trio, both on a normal social basis and in the challenges they face together throughout the series? How do her strengths get them through things, and how do her weaknesses hold them back?

I think Hermione is probably the most essential character in the trio. She is brilliant, she is resourceful and talented. Harry has guts and bravery and natural ability, but Hermione not only has natural ability but vast knowledge. She retains everything she reads and she reads a lot. Her cleverness and knowledge have saved the trio countless amounts of times. I definately think Harry and Ron would have died really early on without her.

6. What do you think Hermione went on to do post DH? What consequences did its events have for her?

Hermione without a doubt went on to "do some good" in the world. I can't imagine her being turned down for a job, or not having the perserverence to make a difference in *** world. Maybe she worked for a better relationship between wizards and muggles. Maybe she took S.P.E.W to another level. Whatever she continued to do she is doing good.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 24th, 2007, 5:44 pm
LilyEvans  Female.gif LilyEvans is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 5320 days
Posts: 536
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Quote:
I think that Hermione has always shown a profoundly deep understanding of right and wrong. She understands how wrong it is to enslave the houseelves against their will and how it's wrong to prosecute Buckbeak for doing what hippogriffs do. I think also that she understands that it's right to help them. When the Minister asks her (in DH) if she has any intent on following a career in law enforcement she says she wants to do some good in the world. Her desire to do right and wrong is similiar to Harry's heroics, but different at the same time. I think Hermione's actions are of a moral nature and Harry's heroics are his bravery and chivalry. Basically Hermione and Harry are great Griffyndors.
Absolutely. Harry and Hermione (and Ron, for that matter) display a great deal of bravery (they do things not because they want to or because they aren't afraid, but because it's the right thing to do). Hermione, I think, is more concerned with Justice than Harry is. She wants things right, for right's sake. Harry displays more in the way of mercy (not killing Wormtail, for instance, and even in the final battle with Voldemort, not using the killing curse, merely trying to disarm him.)

Quote:
I can't imagine her being turned down for a job...Whatever she continued to do she is doing good.
I completely agree, and this is what makes me love Harry, Ron and Hermione so much. All of them will do good, almost as a default setting. Especially as Hermione has the brains for it.


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old July 24th, 2007, 8:31 pm
mike45  Undisclosed.gif mike45 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4076 days
Posts: 4
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Hermione's afraid of failure,so as defense mechanism, she studies obsessively and tries very hard to do everything literally by-the-book. How have her insecurities and defense mechanisms affected her development as a character throughout the series, and what are some other ones? In what ways have they hindered or helped her ? What causes her to feel this way, and has she become more secure with herself throughout the series?

In my opinion Hermione's phobia of failing enabled her to become an amazing student, and in the first two books she showed a strong dislike of breaking the rules. She did have certain flashes of rebellion in her and mostly when they had to do the right thing. In ways it hindered her towards the begining simply because sometimes rules have to be broken, but obviously it was this insecurity that eventually made her so secure in herself. She began to break more and more rules and eventually proved that she could be extremly effective in practical usage and wasn't just a "bookworm". Her securities were shown in my opinon from the GoF at a small level to Deathly Hallows and a grand level. She was the epitamy of effective and perfect magic. If not for her cool head and incredible knowledge Harry would have had a tough time.

2. Hermione repeatedly defends and helps those who can't defend or help themselves. Early in the series, on the first ride on the Hogwarts Express, she starts helping Neville out with his toad and continues to help him out in Potions despite being told not to. In PoA she also works very hard to make a defense for Buckbeak, and in GoF she starts S.P.E.W. to end the opression of house elves. How similar is this to Harry's "saving people thing," and what does it say about her character?

I think it says of both they're characters that they're Grynfindors. Hermione fights for what is right...no matter how people look at her...no matter how wrong some people think she is. With SPEW she faught for that even when Harry and Ron generally didn't believe in it. At least Harry always had support of Ron and Hermoine. It shows how strong-willed and noble Hermione is.

3.Hermione is very intuitive when it comes to others' emotions. She seems to understand a lot about how both Cho and Harry are feeling during their "relationship" and notices Harry's feelings for Ginny before anyone else. She also berates Ron a lot for his "emotional range of a teaspoon" which implies that she notices how people feel more than he does. However, she hardly ever talks about her own feelings, and most of them are expressed only through actions, like the flock of birds in HBP. Is this related in anyway to her insecurity? How does her relationship with Ron and Harry affect this part of personality? How do her relationships with other girls ( Ginny, Luna, Parvati, Lavendar, Pansy, etc.) affect it? Or how do they reflect that part of her?
Hermione never lets her emotions know...yet one can pick up on them pretty easily. Her insecurities lead her to shelter her emotions from some people and her lack of friendship with other girls proves a big point because Harry and Ron can hardly understand her. But they do, somehow, without many words being spoken of it understand Hermiones feelings. And sometimes are very careful not to upset her. She is the greatest friend you can have as she puts others in front of herself. Harry and Ron both adolescent males...who as many of us know can prove to be as insensitive as anyone, still show an understading for her feelings thus making it so she doesn't necesarily have to say it aloud. As for females I think they're jealous of Hermiones intelligence and this slows them from becoming friends with her until later on. Even then no one will ever say that she is "best friends" with anyone other than Ron and Harry and maybe in some circumstances Ginny.

4. Hermione, being Muggleborn, must travel back and forth between the "Muggle world" in which her parents live and the wizarding world in which the majority of events in her life take place. She doesn't go home as often as some of the other students, choosing to spend time either at Hogwarts or with the Weasleys. When she becomes a prefect she comments that she wants to tell her parents because it will be something they will understand. What does this say about her connection to the wizarding world and her relationship with her parents? What do you think of her decision to modify her parent's memories?

I think over time she may have grown apart from her parents. Although they were very supportive of her schooling...they just simply do not understand most of her achievments. Nor can she really show them because of the underage magic law. So an achievment that is visible to them and can be viewed would be huge for Hermione. Her descision to modify her parents memories was once again a huge testament to her character. It was no doubt a hard thing to do...but yet she did because she knew it was the right thing. She may never see her parents again and she couldn't keep in contact with them. It really touches me to see she would do that for someone she loves so much.

5. What does Hermione contribute to the Trio, both on a normal social basis and in the challenges they face together throughout the series? How do her strengths get them through things, and how do her weaknesses hold them back?

On a social bases she infuses them with compassion and understanding. Through there challenges she proved irreplacable. If not for her I can only imagine how much harder the tast at hand would of been. Her immpecable knowledge of almost all magic, and strong will took them out of most dangerous situations and even her suprsingly cool head helped out a lot. Her weaknesses of following rules as we said showed up again in refrence to the Hallows. But Dumbledore was expecting this! So what hindered them indeed helped them. She sometimes wanted to make a plan, but when push came to shove she proved to be maybe the most valuable character in the series.

6. What do you think Hermione went on to do post DH? What consequences did its events have for her?

In my opinon I doubt Hermione will ever work for the Ministry. I can perhaps see her working with muggles or doing something very noble. It's hard to say what she can do but I'm sure it's helping people somehow some way. But no matter what she does she will be successful because as we all know...she simply cannot fail.


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 25th, 2007, 2:20 am
magical4life  Undisclosed.gif magical4life is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4679 days
Location: On Stage
Posts: 423
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

1. Hermione's afraid of failure, so as defense mechanism, she studies obsessively and tries very hard to do everything literally by-the-book. How have her insecurities and defense mechanisms affected her development as a character throughout the series, and what are some other ones? In what ways have they hindered or helped her ? What causes her to feel this way, and has she become more secure with herself throughout the series?

With the help of her friends she has become much more relaxed towards the rules and more focused on doing what is right for the right reason. She still learns things by the book but also starts to move into experimentation and natural ability. She doesn't seem to like to admit when she is wrong but that decreases as the books go on. Her fear of failure helps her by never settling for second best and always using her full potential. It hinders her when she refuses to make mistakes that are perfectly reasonable. I think it is just in her personality to act that way. It may be because she is an only child and her family doesn't really understand her at all vs. Ron, who has a family he has to live up to. She has become much more confident and rational.

2. Hermione repeatedly defends and helps those who can't defend or help themselves. Early in the series, on the first ride on the Hogwarts Express, she starts helping Neville out with his toad and continues to help him out in Potions despite being told not to. In PoA she also works very hard to make a defense for Buckbeak, and in GoF she starts S.P.E.W. to end the opression of house elves. How similar is this to Harry's "saving people thing," and what does it say about her character?

It is very similar to Harry's "saving-people-thing." Being a Muggle born, she is striving to prove that it doesn't matter what blood you're from. She has experience what it feels like to be rejected because she has Muggle parents or even rejected by Muggles because she is a witch. Harry has experienced loss and never wants to feel the remorse again. He doesn't want other people to feel this way at his fault, either.

3.Hermione is very intuitive when it comes to others' emotions. She seems to understand a lot about how both Cho and Harry are feeling during their "relationship" and notices Harry's feelings for Ginny before anyone else. She also berates Ron a lot for his "emotional range of a teaspoon" which implies that she notices how people feel more than he does. However, she hardly ever talks about her own feelings, and most of them are expressed only through actions, like the flock of birds in HBP. Is this related in anyway to her insecurity? How does her relationship with Ron and Harry affect this part of personality? How do her relationships with other girls ( Ginny, Luna, Parvati, Lavendar, Pansy, etc.) affect it? Or how do they reflect that part of her?

Hermione doesn't reflect her own emotions because of her fear of failure. She thinks, for example, that if she just told Ron of her love or her jealousy or how she truly feels he would reject her. So she simply doesn't. AND she hangs around with people who are pretty bad a detecting others' emotions so she doesn't have to worry about them knowing how she is feeling. Harry sometimes observes her feelings but doesn't tell about it out of respect for her. Other girls may notice her feelings but her relationships with them doesn't matter as much so she just ignores their observations. She never wants to be reliant on somebody else or for them to think of her as weak because of her emotions. That is also why she is very defensive, particularly with Ron, who has the tendency to push her boundaries and reveal her true self.

4. Hermione, being Muggleborn, must travel back and forth between the "Muggle world" in which her parents live and the wizarding world in which the majority of events in her life take place. She doesn't go home as often as some of the other students, choosing to spend time either at Hogwarts or with the Weasleys. When she becomes a prefect she comments that she wants to tell her parents because it will be something they will understand. What does this say about her connection to the wizarding world and her relationship with her parents? What do you think of her decision to modify her parent's memories?

She must feel misunderstood in the Muggle world. I could picture her not being very popular before Hogwarts (not only being a know-it-all but also having weird things happen to her) so she must have felt relieved when she reached the Wizarding world--where she was meant to be. She obviously loves her parents, but not as much as the average person. Her parents must be uncertain about what to do or talk about with her. She seems to love her friends even more because they know her for who she truly is. It said that she had told her parents a lot about Harry so her friends must be of the few things she can relate to with them. I think she modified her parents memories not only because she loved them but so she didn't have to be responsible for their deaths or feel the same remorse as she constantly sees Harry feeling.

5. What does Hermione contribute to the Trio, both on a normal social basis and in the challenges they face together throughout the series? How do her strengths get them through things, and how do her weaknesses hold them back?

Naturally her smarts are a huge contribution. She also presents a sensible argument to most conflicts and uses logic very well in their challenges. On a normal basis she is good company. She understands how others feel and is sympathetic. She is also easy to talk to and be around. Her strengths of mind and heart get them through difficult challenges. Her weaknesses, like the fear of failure or to admit she was wrong, cause arguments and separation of the bonds of the trio.

6. What do you think Hermione went on to do post DH? What consequences did its events have for her?

She probably continued with S.P.E.W. with the help of her two best friends. She might have also done something like being chief of the Wizengamot. She would do justice where it needed and could make influential decisions. She reminds me of how Susan Bones might have been.


__________________
COS Writing Contest! VOTE NOW! Don't know how? Entries - Feedback - History



“I must learn to love the fool in me: the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries.”


Read Love, Loss, and Devotion And also read Journey to Peace by Secunda


Rising Above the Rivalry (A Feud of the Past Must Come to an End . . . )

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:42 pm
vampiricduck's Avatar
vampiricduck  Female.gif vampiricduck is offline
Qvack...
 
Joined: 4807 days
Location: Cork, Ireland
Age: 28
Posts: 3,271
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

1. Hermione's afraid of failure, so as defense mechanism, she studies obsessively and tries very hard to do everything literally by-the-book. How have her insecurities and defense mechanisms affected her development as a character throughout the series, and what are some other ones? In what ways have they hindered or helped her ? What causes her to feel this way, and has she become more secure with herself throughout the series?

Hermione's fear of failure had reuslted in the perfectionsim that partially led to Voldemort's defeat. When she was working everything out, she was calm and reliable. When Ron left, which was a problem unforseen, she defected somewhat and cried out for help in a way. These circumstances helped her development in that she learned to deal more with things that otherwise would have seemed unacceptable to her. I think, for that reason, and in that way, she has become more secure.


2. Hermione repeatedly defends and helps those who can't defend or help themselves. Early in the series, on the first ride on the Hogwarts Express, she starts helping Neville out with his toad and continues to help him out in Potions despite being told not to. In PoA she also works very hard to make a defense for Buckbeak, and in GoF she starts S.P.E.W. to end the opression of house elves. How similar is this to Harry's "saving people thing," and what does it say about her character?

I think it says why she's in Gryffindor. She could have been in Ravenclaw for her intelligence, and she could have been in Hufflepuff for her loyalty, but Gryffindor suited her because of the intense bravery she always showed in sticking up for the underdog. Harry doesn't necessarily do this. In places, the underdog seems to annoy him. eg. Colin Creevey, who eventually died for him, per se. She helped Neville because she felt for him. He seemed left out and alone, like she had often probably been in the Muggle World. House Elves she felt for because of her sense of righteousness, mixed with her muggle pride. Ditto Buckbeak. She seems to see the best in most people, and seems to speak up on behalf of something that can't speak for itself more often than not. She has a type of ideal that Harry does not have. His saving people thing is just that, mixed with a twinge of luck and determination. Her determination leads to different circumstances.

3.Hermione is very intuitive when it comes to others' emotions. She seems to understand a lot about how both Cho and Harry are feeling during their "relationship" and notices Harry's feelings for Ginny before anyone else. She also berates Ron a lot for his "emotional range of a teaspoon" which implies that she notices how people feel more than he does. However, she hardly ever talks about her own feelings, and most of them are expressed only through actions, like the flock of birds in HBP. Is this related in anyway to her insecurity? How does her relationship with Ron and Harry affect this part of personality? How do her relationships with other girls ( Ginny, Luna, Parvati, Lavendar, Pansy, etc.) affect it? Or how do they reflect that part of her?

She probably feels that, as a best friend with two boys, she can't really fully be all over emotional with them. After all, the female emotional cycle is different to that of a male. She is, however, willing to stand her ground against Ron when a fight looms. She has been seen upset and lonely, and I imagine she has just become better at hiding it. Mostly, her emotions reveal themselves on behalf of Ron, who we now accept that she has loved for a long time. her relationship with Ginny seems to have been quite a good strong one. I would imagine that Ginny served as her girlie companion down through the years. She spoke with her, at least about Ginny's affection for Harry, and she is quite trusting, so this may have gone both ways regarding Ron. This also explains Ginny's disgust at Ron's hypocrisy in Book 6. She recognises Lavender's feelings toward the end of book 6 as well, and doesn't rub it in, which shows huge empathy, in my opinion. Though Lavender had done this to her, Hermione showed restraint.I think she wants to be taken seriously, and she tries to understand that in the Wizarding World, she belongs, as she never did in the Muggle World, so she overcompensates by not showing emotion until it's too bottled up to be held in any more. She often goes somewhere quiet and private to release the sadness, but her anger is more public, and with two boys as friends, more acceptable.

4. Hermione, being Muggleborn, must travel back and forth between the "Muggle world" in which her parents live and the wizarding world in which the majority of events in her life take place. She doesn't go home as often as some of the other students, choosing to spend time either at Hogwarts or with the Weasleys. When she becomes a prefect she comments that she wants to tell her parents because it will be something they will understand. What does this say about her connection to the wizarding world and her relationship with her parents? What do you think of her decision to modify her parent's memories?

She probably loves her parents very much, and appreciates all they do for her, so she protects them with the memory charm. This shows her intense bravery too, and tells us more about the hat's decision to place her in Gryffindor. I admire her decision because it was permanent. No going back afterwards really. She wants to tell her parents about her prefect achievement, because "Prefect" means the same thing everywhere, magic or not. She's probably upset that she can't discuss her life and career with them, so this probably adds to her insecurities somewhat. After all, what if she, by herself, makes a mistake? She chooses to spend time with the Weasley's and Hogwarts because she fits in.


5. What does Hermione contribute to the Trio, both on a normal social basis and in the challenges they face together throughout the series? How do her strengths get them through things, and how do her weaknesses hold them back?

On a social basis, she's the first girl they know. It's not surprising that one of them falls in love with her. She introduces them to the incomprehensible world of women (if you're male, the women understand it fairly well!!), and she's also the voice of logic and reason, defeating spontaneity with a firm word on a frequent basis. her "cool use of logic in the face of fire" served to bring Harry to the Philosopher's Stone. Without her, this would have been impossible. She gave them the answer to the riddle of the Chamber of Secrets. In prisoner of Azkaban, with the Time Turner, she helped Harry to release Buckbeak and Sirius. In Goblet of Fire, she served well, helping Harry with spells and jinxes for work during the Triward Tournament. In order of the Phoenix, without her, the DA would never have existed. Enough said on that count. She also led Umbridge into the forest to retrieve "Dumbledore's secret weapon". Adn she went to the Ministry with Harry, as one of his best friends. In Book 6, Hermione had worked out the riddle of the Half Blood Prince long before the others, she only had one other step to go. She found Eileen Prince, Snape's mother. She was again the voice of (albeit ignored) logic, that the Prince was not to be trusted. She was right about the Prince not being trustworthy. The teenager Snape was trouble, but she never mentions Snape's deceit. She admits that he's horrible, but can't quite accept that he's all bad.
On the other hand, her logic has also placed them in considerable danger, though it is rare. In book 3, she made assumptions regarding Lupin that were entirely incorrect. This lost precious minutes. Her panic at the lack of any real plan later on was also somewhat tainting on her character. In Book 7, she helped Harry make the decision to go to Goric's Hollow, which didn't turn out so well, and she also found it difficult to cope when Ron was gone. She also refused to believe an old legend, and insisted that the job in hand was to find the Horcruxes. She was only half right, and had they all agreed that the Hallows did not exist, things may not have gone so well.

6. What do you think Hermione went on to do post DH? What consequences did its events have for her?

I think Hermione probably went to work as an Auror too, or something to do with the Ministry at any rate. She was trying her best throughout the book to defeat Voldemort, and after everything, I would imagine that a career in the Ministry fighting for the underdog at least, if not against dark magic, would appeal. I could envision her as a teacher, or as a head of department somewhere in the ministry too.

I think the events of Deathly Hallows probably proves this. Her bravery, her determination, her nerve and her intelligence, her wit, her insecurities and her fears, her sense of justice and her willingness to fight for those who can't do it themselves add together to make her who she is.


__________________

THE DUCK.

Avatar comes from bluebison.net
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old July 26th, 2007, 5:22 am
Sheree's Avatar
Sheree  Female.gif Sheree is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4664 days
Location: a little north of Antartica...
Posts: 828
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by magical4life View Post
[i]Hermione doesn't reflect her own emotions because of her fear of failure. She thinks, for example, that if she just told Ron of her love or her jealousy or how she truly feels he would reject her. So she simply doesn't. AND she hangs around with people who are pretty bad a detecting others' emotions so she doesn't have to worry about them knowing how she is feeling. Harry sometimes observes her feelings but doesn't tell about it out of respect for her. Other girls may notice her feelings but her relationships with them doesn't matter as much so she just ignores their observations. She never wants to be reliant on somebody else or for them to think of her as weak because of her emotions. That is also why she is very defensive, particularly with Ron, who has the tendency to push her boundaries and reveal her true self.
I doubt seriously that Hermione's reasoning for hanging out with Harry and Ron is that she is safe from them ever guessing her true feelings. She loves Harry and Ron and makes no secret of it all that she cares deeply for them as friends, and she proves it too.
As for Ron and Hermione's relationship when they were friends... In no way am I saying that Hermione is not suffering her own insecurities, but I don't think that she can be fully blamed for not telling Ron her true feelings. After all, they were best friends. Anyone who has ever had feelings for someone who was supposed to be "just a friend" would question the consequences of revealing such information - in Hermione's case, she would definately have been worried about rejection, but she would have worried too about the effect of a failed (or even successful) relation on their relationship as friends and on their relationship with Harry.
Now, to offer some support to your argument here, I do think that Hermione tends to avoid some close relationships, where she had a chance to build them. She is never seen as being friends with the girls in her own dormitory, even though she must have had ample opportunity to make friends with them. Is this a sign of her insecurities? I believe so, because even Harry and Ron didn't much like Hermione until after the troll incident. At no point do we see Hermione really going out of her way to make friends, although we have some evidence that she must have at times been pretty lonely.
I do believe, however, that Hermione also grew a lot in the last book, and that many of her insecurities were outgrown.


__________________
"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old July 27th, 2007, 4:28 am
Beatlesrule  Female.gif Beatlesrule is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4795 days
Location: USA
Posts: 41
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Hermione is the character I most closely identify with in the entire series and reading these questions I'm recognizing even more of myself, some things good and some bad. I wish I was as bold as she became by the end of the series. Here's my poor attempt at analysis:

Hermione's afraid of failure,so as defense mechanism, she studies obsessively and tries very hard to do everything literally by-the-book. How have her insecurities and defense mechanisms affected her development as a character throughout the series, and what are some other ones? In what ways have they hindered or helped her ? What causes her to feel this way, and has she become more secure with herself throughout the series?

I think that her fear of failure is buried very deep and she doesn't necessarily realize that it may be at the root of her desire to be a good student. She obviously has a natural curiousity and love of reading and research.
Hermione's drive to succeed as a student has helped her and the trio in that her knowledge of history/magic has often saved the day. Ron and Harry many times couldn't be bothered with studying so Hermione's love of books and learning has been an assest to them. I think it may have hindered her in that she is often overly cautious. Her character develops nicely throughout the series in that she does learn to take more risks and even sometimes likes breaking the rules.


2. Hermione repeatedly defends and helps those who can't defend or help themselves. Early in the series, on the first ride on the Hogwarts Express, she starts helping Neville out with his toad and continues to help him out in Potions despite being told not to. In PoA she also works very hard to make a defense for Buckbeak, and in GoF she starts S.P.E.W. to end the opression of house elves. How similar is this to Harry's "saving people thing," and what does it say about her character?

I think Hermione's defense of helpless creatures goes back to her sense of fair play. I think that's part of why she wants to do everything to be by the book, because she believes if she follows the rules, everything will work out okay. Where the creatures come into it, she still wants everything to be fair, but realizes that the rules (like for the house elves) are cruel and need to be changed. I think it also shows that her character has a lot of compassion and can easily empathize with the creatures.

3.Hermione is very intuitive when it comes to others' emotions. She seems to understand a lot about how both Cho and Harry are feeling during their "relationship" and notices Harry's feelings for Ginny before anyone else. She also berates Ron a lot for his "emotional range of a teaspoon" which implies that she notices how people feel more than he does. However, she hardly ever talks about her own feelings, and most of them are expressed only through actions, like the flock of birds in HBP. Is this related in anyway to her insecurity? How does her relationship with Ron and Harry affect this part of personality? How do her relationships with other girls ( Ginny, Luna, Parvati, Lavendar, Pansy, etc.) affect it? Or how do they reflect that part of her?

As someone else said, Hermione has a more introverted personality and doesn't share her feelings easily. She is good at observing and picking up on other people's feelings, but does not necessarily want them to pick up on hers. Thus, she may be more comfortable hanging out with the boys than with some of the girls who might want to sit around discussing their feelings.


4. Hermione, being Muggleborn, must travel back and forth between the "Muggle world" in which her parents live and the wizarding world in which the majority of events in her life take place. She doesn't go home as often as some of the other students, choosing to spend time either at Hogwarts or with the Weasleys. When she becomes a prefect she comments that she wants to tell her parents because it will be something they will understand. What does this say about her connection to the wizarding world and her relationship with her parents? What do you think of her decision to modify her parent's memories?

I think she has a good relationship with her parents and did the only thing she could think of to protect them from harm.

5. What does Hermione contribute to the Trio, both on a normal social basis and in the challenges they face together throughout the series? How do her strengths get them through things, and how do her weaknesses hold them back?

I think her strengths have helped the trio far more than hindered them. She seems to have the best memory of the group for spells, history, etc. Her main weaknesss I can see is being overly cautious, but is that bad? When DD tells Harry he wanted Hermione along to slow him down, I think what he meant is that she would keep Harry from rushing into something before he was ready.


6. What do you think Hermione went on to do post DH? What consequences did its events have for her?[/quote]

I think all the loss and death of the battles with LV strengthened her love for Ron and friendship with Harry. Perhaps, it made her want to marry Ron quickly realizing that time is precious. Someone said JK said she went into law enforcement later on, so I could see her looking at the treatment of magical creatures and trying to change laws unfair to them.


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old July 27th, 2007, 8:41 am
gyerv59  Male.gif gyerv59 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4808 days
Location: Feeding Aragog
Age: 44
Posts: 207
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

1. Hermione's afraid of failure, so as defense mechanism, she studies obsessively and tries very hard to do everything literally by-the-book. How have her insecurities and defense mechanisms affected her development as a character throughout the series, and what are some other ones? In what ways have they hindered or helped her ? What causes her to feel this way, and has she become more secure with herself throughout the series?

when we first meet hermione she is so by the book its almost painful. i think being part of the trio really helped her character devlopement in that they made her loosen up. in alot of ways her bookish ways hindered her in the first 6 books, atleast as far as real world experiences are concerned. she finally came int her own in DH, she stopped freezing up everytime the was immenent combat.

2. Hermione repeatedly defends and helps those who can't defend or help themselves. Early in the series, on the first ride on the Hogwarts Express, she starts helping Neville out with his toad and continues to help him out in Potions despite being told not to. In PoA she also works very hard to make a defense for Buckbeak, and in GoF she starts S.P.E.W. to end the opression of house elves. How similar is this to Harry's "saving people thing," and what does it say about her character?

i don't think its the same as harry's saving people thing at all.if you'll recall everytime she's involved in a situation where harry is thinking of doing something really risky, she tries to stop him. hermione helps others in safe ways, while its very noble its not the same as harry.

3.Hermione is very intuitive when it comes to others' emotions. She seems to understand a lot about how both Cho and Harry are feeling during their "relationship" and notices Harry's feelings for Ginny before anyone else. She also berates Ron a lot for his "emotional range of a teaspoon" which implies that she notices how people feel more than he does. However, she hardly ever talks about her own feelings, and most of them are expressed only through actions, like the flock of birds in HBP. Is this related in anyway to her insecurity? How does her relationship with Ron and Harry affect this part of personality? How do her relationships with other girls ( Ginny, Luna, Parvati, Lavendar, Pansy, etc.) affect it? Or how do they reflect that part of her?
speaking as an introvert myself i can understand hermione's lack of speaking her emotions. i didn't find this in anyway odd. is just the way introverted people are. she'svery observant.

4. Hermione, being Muggleborn, must travel back and forth between the "Muggle world" in which her parents live and the wizarding world in which the majority of events in her life take place. She doesn't go home as often as some of the other students, choosing to spend time either at Hogwarts or with the Weasleys. When she becomes a prefect she comments that she wants to tell her parents because it will be something they will understand. What does this say about her connection to the wizarding world and her relationship with her parents? What do you think of her decision to modify her parent's memories?

i really liked the fact that she modified her parents memory. this is the first time we see hermione doing what needs to be done without any prompting from others. this was a huge step for her. it had to be exceptionally difficult for her to erase any memory of her from thier memory.

5. What does Hermione contribute to the Trio, both on a normal social basis and in the challenges they face together throughout the series? How do her strengths get them through things, and how do her weaknesses hold them back?

well up until the last book her inadaquacies in conbat really hold her back, but i DH she really comes through. socially sje is the heart of tje triio. harry may be the leader but hermione is the heart
Naturally her smarts are a huge contribution. She also presents a sensible argument to most conflicts and uses logic very well in their challenges. On a normal basis she is good company. She understands how others feel and is sympathetic. She is also easy to talk to and be around. Her strengths of mind and heart get them through difficult challenges. Her weaknesses, like the fear of failure or to admit she was wrong, cause arguments and separation of the bonds of the trio.

6. What do you think Hermione went on to do post DH? What consequences did its events have for her?

She probably continued with S.P.E.W. with the help of her two best friends. She might have also done something like being chief of the Wizengamot. She would do justice where it needed and could make influential decisions. She reminds me of how Susan Bones might have been.


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old July 27th, 2007, 3:22 pm
Liselle's Avatar
Liselle  Female.gif Liselle is offline
Knower of things
 
Joined: 5595 days
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,565
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

I think this book Hermione really came into her own. Yes there is still the dependency on books and learning that she's always had but this time she was more open to ideas than Ron (The Deathly Hallows) and she gritted things out like the camping, turning her back on her parents etc that I don't think that she'd have done before.

I really really liked her in this book.

Given the interview that JK gave about the future careers of the Trio, and it's been revealed that Hermione would have gone into law ~ I see this as an extension of S.P.E.W and her overall compassion and level headedness. She was one of the earliest characters to see that integration between beings and wizards/witches was necessary for magical folk to move forward. So instead of just being "Lawyer" I picture her more as someone who's into human rights.

She really has come a great distance since the very first book.


__________________
“Perhaps that is the secret. It is not what we do, so much as why we do it.”
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 4917 days
Posts: 6,298
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Harry was nothing without Hermione in this book. It was Hermione who saved him a lot of times. It was her cleverness who brought them so far. Actually without Hermione I think Harry wouldn't be alive.

She showed a lot of strength and wisdom in the books and was also willing to gave up the safety of her home to help Harry findind the Horcruxes. And she was the one who stood to Harry all the time, although she also questioned the sense and nonsense of their journey.

When Bella started to torture her and remained strong and didn't tell her, that was great.

Even if she isn't the most powerful witch (in sense of magic), but she's the most smartest and has a strong character. Harry is lucky to have her as a friend.


__________________


The End of the Dream.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:05 pm
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4740 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENSHI View Post
Harry was nothing without Hermione in this book. It was Hermione who saved him a lot of times. It was her cleverness who brought them so far. Actually without Hermione I think Harry wouldn't be alive.
Actually, what I thought really strengthened in this book was Harry and Hermione's ability to work together as a team. They really played off of each other's talents. So, of course Harry would not be alive without Hermione - because it's their teamwork and cooperation that was needed. Though Hermione does have that wonderful trait of looking ahead. What would have happened when the Death Eaters crashed the Weasley wedding if Hermione hadn't thought to pack yet I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENSHI View Post
When Bella started to torture her and remained strong and didn't tell her, that was great.
Hermoine was just incredible in that scene.


__________________
* * *
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old July 29th, 2007, 1:15 am
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 4917 days
Posts: 6,298
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
Actually, what I thought really strengthened in this book was Harry and Hermione's ability to work together as a team. They really played off of each other's talents. So, of course Harry would not be alive without Hermione - because it's their teamwork and cooperation that was needed. Though Hermione does have that wonderful trait of looking ahead. What would have happened when the Death Eaters crashed the Weasley wedding if Hermione hadn't thought to pack yet I don't know.
I don't want to think about that.

I loved that Hermione was able to plan ahead and considered possible attacks, what Harry didn't do. Hermione was the brain of the group.


__________________


The End of the Dream.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old July 29th, 2007, 5:41 am
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4740 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENSHI View Post
I loved that Hermione was able to plan ahead and considered possible attacks, what Harry didn't do. Hermione was the brain of the group.
Her strengths can be a liability as well. For instance, I think that Hermione really would have spent three months spying on the ministry before going after the locket. But Harry on his own probably would have charged in without spying at all. They complimented each other.


__________________
* * *
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old July 29th, 2007, 7:34 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4661 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

I agree. Hermione was a great character. All the arguments were a bit much, but overall she added something terrific to the story!


Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old July 29th, 2007, 1:11 pm
vampiricduck's Avatar
vampiricduck  Female.gif vampiricduck is offline
Qvack...
 
Joined: 4807 days
Location: Cork, Ireland
Age: 28
Posts: 3,271
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Exactly. There weree conversations for years regarding what exactly he was going to do, and why was she in Gryffindor. I think this book showed us exactly why she was in Gryffindor, and she really came through something wonderful.


__________________

THE DUCK.

Avatar comes from bluebison.net
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old July 29th, 2007, 5:11 pm
Emperor_Gestahl  Male.gif Emperor_Gestahl is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4231 days
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 28
Posts: 1,030
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

I dunno, she's a bit too rational. Harry was right about Snape (or as it was suppose too seem) even though Hermoine contradicted him to the very end, Harry was right about Draco, even though Hermoine was sceptical until it was too late, harry was right about the Hallows, Hermoine though it was nonsense.

Do we notice a pattern here? Hermoine is smart, but she would be brilliant if she followed her instincs more.


__________________
Nothing beats the sweet music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison! - Kefka FFVIA
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old July 29th, 2007, 11:49 pm
ted baker  Male.gif ted baker is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5006 days
Posts: 111
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

hermione's absolute refusal to believe anything out of the ordinary - like the story of the deathly hallows - is really annoying. i wonder what she said when they came to tell her she was a witch. they probably had to spend a week and a half convincing her. for somebody who's seen so many unbelieveable things, she's very rigid and hardheaded. it's true what xeno says about her. she's very narrow minded.


Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:52 am
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4740 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted baker View Post
i wonder what she said when they came to tell her she was a witch. they probably had to spend a week and a half convincing her.
I'm imaging this, and it's hilarious! I'll bet that Hermione already suspected that there was something different about her. And all they'd need to do is show her a wand and tell her to try magic, and she'd get it.

I don't believe that she's narrow minded though. Her attitude towards equal rights for all and such things are very open minded, as is her ability to envision the world as it could be, rather than just the way it is now.


__________________
* * *
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old July 30th, 2007, 3:48 am
Sub Zero  Male.gif Sub Zero is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5063 days
Location: The Noble House of Black
Age: 28
Posts: 431
Re: Hermione Granger: Character Analysis

I love Hermione's character. She reminds of someone who would be such a great friend. An insufferable know it all? YES. A great friend? Definitely. She's always got a fresh perspective on everything, she's incredibly intelligent, and she isn't annoying. Plus, if I were Ron, I'd love having her around.

She thoroughly impressed me in DH. I felt like she went from genius to..well even more genius. She knew every spell, every bit of history on everything they needed. It was just great. Also, I found her to be vital to the success of the horcrux mission. She kept everyone's emotions in check. We saw how she lunged out at Ron and almost killed him for leaving. When Harry is at his parents' grave, she takes him and hugs him as they walk away. She cares so much for Harry and Ron, it was great that she was there to help them a long.

(She could be emotional at times, though)


__________________
Hello, my name is John.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, hermione granger


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 7:17 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.