Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:03 am
Seventh Year

Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
This is an excellent point. It's a very apt description of Lavender, too. She's not a heroine but she illustrates very well that everyone has a bit of a coward and a bit of a hero in himself/herself.
Lavender certainly isn't a bad person and in Deathly Hallows she proved why she was a Gryffindor but in saying that i still know why Ron and Lavender didn't work out because as a girlfriend she was very irritating and needy.

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:46 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Lavender certainly isn't a bad person and in Deathly Hallows she proved why she was a Gryffindor but in saying that i still know why Ron and Lavender didn't work out because as a girlfriend she was very irritating and needy.
And as a boyfriend, Ron was cold and was using her to make Hermione jealous- I don't think Lavender was the only problem in that relationship.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Old November 27th, 2010, 2:29 am
First Year

I think Ron was using her more to get past his own insecurities than anything, although he definitely was making Hermione jealous at the same time.

It was just a relationsihp built on terrible ideas..

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also
Old December 6th, 2010, 3:58 am
Fourth Year

1. Lavender's favourite subject is Divination. We know that Trelawney is a true Seer, although her inner eye is often clouded. Do you think that Trelawney was right when she claimed to see real a talent for Divination in Lavender? I think she maybe used it to keep Lavender quiet. Lavender seemed too flighty to be a Seer.
2. Does her name tell us anything about her character? No, not really.
3. In OotP Lavender believed the lies the Daily Prophet spread about Harry but, later on, she joined Dumbledore's Army. What were her motives? She liked being the center of attention and where the popular crowd was. Practically the onlyStudents who didn't join were Slytherins and kids who were "too young". Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?Peer pressure, the being in this "really cool club" made her change her mind.
4. In HBP Lavender gained in importance by becoming Ron's girlfriend. Despite her usual silliness she seemed to take their relationship seriously; she even interrogated Harry. Do you think Ron broke her heart?If Ron broke her heart, it was probably only for a few weeks at the most. Because I don't see her remaining "single" for too long. How will this affect her future interactions with the trio?Cut her off cold Turkey from the Trio. As long as Hermione was in the picture, Lavender avoided them at all costs.
5. We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?I don't think she was a Pure-blood because whyshe even be associated with someone like Ron whose best Friends Half Blood and Muggle Born. So I think she may have been a Half Blood.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old December 6th, 2010, 2:31 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
There was also the suggestion that Lavender only became interested in Ron after the events at the Ministry, and his success at Quidditch. Her idea that he was "interesting" after he had been poisoned would seem to be a prt of this, too, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie33 View Post
[/color]Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?Peer pressure, the being in this "really cool club" made her change her mind.
While Lavender and Parvati are portrayed as the stereotypical shallow girls, I think that they did come to realise that this wasn't all about popularity. I think seeing what Umbridge was like opened a lot of students' eyes, along with the mass breakout. These things got them to question the official Ministry line.

Quote:
5. We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?[color="#ff00ff"]I don't think she was a Pure-blood because whyshe even be associated with someone like Ron whose best Friends Half Blood and Muggle Born. So I think she may have been a Half Blood.
I don't see why that would suggest she wasn't pureblood. We see the Weasleys, Neville, Ernie McMillan having non-pureblood friends, and it isn't an issue for them. I don't think it would be an issue for Lavender, either. Especially as she was one of the students who had to hide out from the Carrows in DH. Friendship with halfbloods, Muggleborns, or "blood traitors" was only an issue for the blood supremacists.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 3:43 am
First Year

can someone tell me what page of D.H that Lavender was attacked?

Old December 26th, 2010, 10:58 pm
First Year

I think Lavender did in fact survive. It would be nice to hear what happened to her afterwards though.

CoS House: Pottermore House:
Old December 27th, 2010, 7:31 pm
Third Year

Coming from someone who deals with teenagers every day, I think Lavender was actually a very realistic portrayal of a teenage girl.

I think she is very much the kind of girl that is very conscious of what other people say, do, and think. I believe peer pressure and popularity had a big part in a lot of her actions. She was very silly, but I never got the feeling she was dumb.

I don't think Ron truly broke her heart because she was not in love with Ron. Ron and Lavender's relationship was, I think, a very realistic portrayal of how two people end up as a couple in high school. We never really know why Ron catches her eye (one can presume it's on looks) and we never really know why exactly Ron chooses to go out with her for so long (looks, status, make Hermione jealous). It's not two people who deeply care about each other in a real way. I think she cared about and liked Ron because she liked the idea of Ron as her boyfriend more than anything else. I think by the time Lavender returned to Hogwarts Ron was probably a distant memory. I think It's a typical high school relationship in that context about two people who just kind of "happen" together simply 'cos it works and is convenient.

The fact that Lavender stays and fights in the Battle of Hogwarts is always one of my favorite little touches in the series. Here was this person that you never gave much credit to and she suffers a horrible fate for standing up and doing the right thing. She wasn't off finding horcruxes or anything, but it was more of the common man's bravery. I like to think that Hermione saved Lavender from Greyback in time and that she survived.

I always really enjoyed Lavender as a character (if you couldn't tell) and am glad to see she has her own thread!

"We spent time here, we made friends here. That’s a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, it’s bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after we’re gone. Maybe we’ll see our kids go here.
That’s the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long you’re away from it, there’s always a way back."
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:37 am
Third Year

I believe she is a very realistic portrayal of teenangers. Lavender seems to regard being interested in boys, clothes (most likely) and feelings as a part of being a teenange girl. And she works very much on that part of her! However I don't have the impression she is fool, at least not the kind of fook Crabbe and Goyle are. Just a little silly, and a bit of short perspectives.

I don't think she joined the DA because all the popular people did. I think she was not that much convinced Harry was lying in first place, she just let the majority of the people take her in this. Later she thought better and realized Harry was not lying, of perhaps she was convinced by Harry's speech in Hog's Head.

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320
Old December 28th, 2010, 8:55 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmetlion View Post
I believe she is a very realistic portrayal of teenangers. Lavender seems to regard being interested in boys, clothes (most likely) and feelings as a part of being a teenange girl. And she works very much on that part of her! However I don't have the impression she is fool, at least not the kind of fook Crabbe and Goyle are. Just a little silly, and a bit of short perspectives.
I agree with this. She's one of the many. And, in a way, the trio and the Order fought Voldemort to protect the world of innocent trivialities Lavender lived in.

Old April 14th, 2011, 11:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

From the "What would you change?" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony_M View Post
Well the point was that Ron didn't feel anything for Lavender but used her because she noticed him, not Harry, and also because he felt betrayed by Hermione for kissing Krum (ridiculous I know) so it was just a way for him to 'emotionally mature'. And why would Padma be his girlfriend when he ignored her completely at the Yule Ball? I think Lavender should have shown interest in him prior to HBP, maybe towards the end of OotP.
I think Ron and Lavender were both using each other - Ron, because he believed Hermione thought he wasn't good enough, and he wanted to feel and show that someone fancied him. Lavender, IMO, was drawn to Ron after the Ministry incident, and moreso, after he joined the Quidditch team. I think she wanted to date someone who was important, and had been involved in something of note - she says herself that Ron was "interesting" after he was poisoned.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:51 pm
First Year

Hey everyone...I wanted to post MY unbiased answers to these questions before I read the thread...

Lavender's favourite subject is Divination. We know that Trelawney is a true Seer, although her inner eye is often clouded. Do you think that Trelawney was right when she claimed to see real a talent for Divination in Lavender?
This is possible, but it is also VERY possible that Trelawney "saw" that b/c Lav is one of her fave students...or should I say Lav is one of the students who trully believes in Trelawney...

Does her name tell us anything about her character?
If you want to get really deep and speculative about this - then MAYBE, but I doubt it.

In OotP Lavender believed the lies the Daily Prophet spread about Harry but, later on, she joined Dumbledore's Army. What were her motives? Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?
They are all kids growing up and trying to mature...I doubt it was as much peer pressure as it was her choice....

In HBP Lavender gained in importance by becoming Ron's girlfriend. Despite her usual silliness she seemed to take their relationship seriously; she even interrogated Harry. Do you think Ron broke her heart?
Yes, but she will get over it..=)

How will this affect her future interactions with the trio?
That doesnt matter, b/c it doesnt....

We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?
As we have seen in the books (except for a few rare instances, the type of "blood" a wizard is, makes no difference...

Good questions though...be on the lookout, soon I will have my own set of questions for you all...

I just hope I post it in the right place - forgive me I am a first yr. LOL

Old April 15th, 2011, 1:56 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krums_Girl View Post
And as a boyfriend, Ron was cold and was using her to make Hermione jealous- I don't think Lavender was the only problem in that relationship.
Lav def got the short end of the stick. I think she truly liked him for all the reasons mentioned- Quidditch and the battle at the Ministry. Ron used her to make Hermione jealous even though he wasn't 100% aware that was what he was doing. his hormones were driving at that point. Now Ron is my favorite and has been since the first Hogwarts Express scene in book 1, but he was being a typical teenage boy. Although Lav was EXTREMELY annoying and I couldn't wait for them to break up, it was one of the most real teenage relationships in the whole series. Most of them are hot and heavy one minute and then cold as ice the next.

Old April 15th, 2011, 3:59 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigsFlight7 View Post
Lav def got the short end of the stick. I think she truly liked him for all the reasons mentioned- Quidditch and the battle at the Ministry. Ron used her to make Hermione jealous even though he wasn't 100% aware that was what he was doing. his hormones were driving at that point. Now Ron is my favorite and has been since the first Hogwarts Express scene in book 1, but he was being a typical teenage boy. Although Lav was EXTREMELY annoying and I couldn't wait for them to break up, it was one of the most real teenage relationships in the whole series. Most of them are hot and heavy one minute and then cold as ice the next.
I agree with you on this. Ron/Lavender is a more typical teen relationship than most of the others, except perhaps Ginny's trying the field. Teen years are often a time for experimenting with relationships before settling into something more serious. Some become permanent but more don't.

I'm interested as to why Lavender chose Ron to come on to. If she wanted a Quidditch hero who fought at the Ministry and was 'interesting', why didn't she try for Harry? He was available at that time. Maybe he seemed inaccessible and Ron more approachable?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old April 15th, 2011, 6:00 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I'm interested as to why Lavender chose Ron to come on to. If she wanted a Quidditch hero who fought at the Ministry and was 'interesting', why didn't she try for Harry? He was available at that time. Maybe he seemed inaccessible and Ron more approachable?
Its a good question and i would have to assume it is for one of these reasons

1. Lavender found Ron more attractive
2. Lavender preferred Ron's personality
3. Lavender didn't think she had a chance with Harry
4. (i have seen this one in fan fiction) Lavender was tired of being beaten by Hermione in everything and Lavender went for the thing (Ron) that Hermione truly wanted. In a way for parts of 6th year Lavender beat Hermione at something.

As for people saying that Ron only dating Lavender to make Hermione jealous i disagree as i honestly think that when Ron heard that Hermione and Krum had kissed he thought he was pathetic, that he had no chance with Hermione and Hermione would always be out of his league. Thinking this Ron tries to restore some of his crushed manhood and he finds the first girl who is interested in him and he dates her simply to prove to himself that he is the type of guy that girls would like to date.

Old April 15th, 2011, 1:55 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Its a good question and i would have to assume it is for one of these reasons

1. Lavender found Ron more attractive
2. Lavender preferred Ron's personality
I think these two are more likely than the others. Lavender and Parvati didn't seem to pay Hermione much attention, so I find it difficult to think that she was so desprately jealous of Hermione's accomplishments that she had to date Ron simply to make Hermione jealous.

I think Lavender was really attracted to Ron, even before HBP. In PoA he argued with Hermione over her dead pet, probably such incident left an impression on her, that always made her respect and like Ron.

Though I'd agree that after starting to date Ron, she must have developed a great deal of jealousy toward Hermione, not just because she was Ron's friend but also because she was intrested in Ron.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old April 15th, 2011, 2:31 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I agree with you on this. Ron/Lavender is a more typical teen relationship than most of the others, except perhaps Ginny's trying the field. Teen years are often a time for experimenting with relationships before settling into something more serious. Some become permanent but more don't.

Lavender thought Ron was more in her league I think, lol.

Old April 15th, 2011, 6:57 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Do you think it's possible that she set her sights on Ron because she knew how Hermione felt about him, and wanted to make her jealous? There's reason for Lav to dislike Hermione, after all. Jealousy of her academic brilliance and achievements and of her close relationship to the famous Harry Potter, and Hermione's obvious disdain for Divination, which is presented as one of Lavender's best subjects, and for Trelawney and Firenze, her (seemingly) favorite teachers.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old April 15th, 2011, 7:38 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraLovegood View Post
Do you think it's possible that she set her sights on Ron because she knew how Hermione felt about him, and wanted to make her jealous? There's reason for Lav to dislike Hermione, after all. Jealousy of her academic brilliance and achievements and of her close relationship to the famous Harry Potter, and Hermione's obvious disdain for Divination, which is presented as one of Lavender's best subjects, and for Trelawney and Firenze, her (seemingly) favorite teachers.
I think she just became attracted to him due to his onset of fame with in Hogwarts. But I am sure making Hermione jealous was an added bonus to her!

Old April 15th, 2011, 8:21 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Lavender never seemed to lack in confidence though. I always got the impression that Lavender thought no guy was out of her league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I think these two are more likely than the others. Lavender and Parvati didn't seem to pay Hermione much attention, so I find it difficult to think that she was so desprately jealous of Hermione's accomplishments that she had to date Ron simply to make Hermione jealous.

I think Lavender was really attracted to Ron, even before HBP. In PoA he argued with Hermione over her dead pet, probably such incident left an impression on her, that always made her respect and like Ron.

Though I'd agree that after starting to date Ron, she must have developed a great deal of jealousy toward Hermione, not just because she was Ron's friend but also because she was intrested in Ron.
I also generally think the first 2 options of Lavender preferring Ron in terms of looks and personality over Harry seems much more likely as it is the simplest explanation and the simplest explanation is often the correct one.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies