Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:03 am
GingerCat1  Undisclosed.gif GingerCat1 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3173 days
Posts: 1,656
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
This is an excellent point. It's a very apt description of Lavender, too. She's not a heroine but she illustrates very well that everyone has a bit of a coward and a bit of a hero in himself/herself.
Lavender certainly isn't a bad person and in Deathly Hallows she proved why she was a Gryffindor but in saying that i still know why Ron and Lavender didn't work out because as a girlfriend she was very irritating and needy.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #62  
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:46 pm
Krums_Girl  Female.gif Krums_Girl is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3384 days
Location: SleepyTown
Age: 23
Posts: 292
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Lavender certainly isn't a bad person and in Deathly Hallows she proved why she was a Gryffindor but in saying that i still know why Ron and Lavender didn't work out because as a girlfriend she was very irritating and needy.
And as a boyfriend, Ron was cold and was using her to make Hermione jealous- I don't think Lavender was the only problem in that relationship.


__________________
Pottermore: FelicisRose142
Wand: Laurel, Phoenix Feather Core, 10 Inches, "Unyielding"
House: Hufflepuff (wuuuut?)


Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old November 27th, 2010, 2:29 am
SNet  Male.gif SNet is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2934 days
Posts: 45
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

I think Ron was using her more to get past his own insecurities than anything, although he definitely was making Hermione jealous at the same time.

It was just a relationsihp built on terrible ideas..


__________________

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old December 6th, 2010, 3:58 am
Leslie33  Female.gif Leslie33 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4847 days
Location: Ontario Canada
Age: 47
Posts: 650
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

1. Lavender's favourite subject is Divination. We know that Trelawney is a true Seer, although her inner eye is often clouded. Do you think that Trelawney was right when she claimed to see real a talent for Divination in Lavender? I think she maybe used it to keep Lavender quiet. Lavender seemed too flighty to be a Seer.
2. Does her name tell us anything about her character? No, not really.
3. In OotP Lavender believed the lies the Daily Prophet spread about Harry but, later on, she joined Dumbledore's Army. What were her motives? She liked being the center of attention and where the popular crowd was. Practically the onlyStudents who didn't join were Slytherins and kids who were "too young". Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?Peer pressure, the being in this "really cool club" made her change her mind.
4. In HBP Lavender gained in importance by becoming Ron's girlfriend. Despite her usual silliness she seemed to take their relationship seriously; she even interrogated Harry. Do you think Ron broke her heart?If Ron broke her heart, it was probably only for a few weeks at the most. Because I don't see her remaining "single" for too long. How will this affect her future interactions with the trio?Cut her off cold Turkey from the Trio. As long as Hermione was in the picture, Lavender avoided them at all costs.
5. We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?I don't think she was a Pure-blood because whyshe even be associated with someone like Ron whose best Friends Half Blood and Muggle Born. So I think she may have been a Half Blood.


__________________



I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old December 6th, 2010, 2:31 pm
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3981 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 34
Posts: 2,591
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Lavender certainly isn't a bad person and in Deathly Hallows she proved why she was a Gryffindor but in saying that i still know why Ron and Lavender didn't work out because as a girlfriend she was very irritating and needy.
There was also the suggestion that Lavender only became interested in Ron after the events at the Ministry, and his success at Quidditch. Her idea that he was "interesting" after he had been poisoned would seem to be a prt of this, too, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie33 View Post
[/color]Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?Peer pressure, the being in this "really cool club" made her change her mind.
While Lavender and Parvati are portrayed as the stereotypical shallow girls, I think that they did come to realise that this wasn't all about popularity. I think seeing what Umbridge was like opened a lot of students' eyes, along with the mass breakout. These things got them to question the official Ministry line.

Quote:
5. We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?[color="#ff00ff"]I don't think she was a Pure-blood because whyshe even be associated with someone like Ron whose best Friends Half Blood and Muggle Born. So I think she may have been a Half Blood.
I don't see why that would suggest she wasn't pureblood. We see the Weasleys, Neville, Ernie McMillan having non-pureblood friends, and it isn't an issue for them. I don't think it would be an issue for Lavender, either. Especially as she was one of the students who had to hide out from the Carrows in DH. Friendship with halfbloods, Muggleborns, or "blood traitors" was only an issue for the blood supremacists.


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old December 22nd, 2010, 3:43 am
lunalovegood15  Female.gif lunalovegood15 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2893 days
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 7
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

can someone tell me what page of D.H that Lavender was attacked?


__________________
snape: "yes sir" harry: no need to call me sir pofessor.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:58 pm
James26  Male.gif James26 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2899 days
Location: Wales
Age: 21
Posts: 30
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

I think Lavender did in fact survive. It would be nice to hear what happened to her afterwards though.


__________________

CoS House: Pottermore House:
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old December 27th, 2010, 7:31 pm
MsBinns's Avatar
MsBinns  Female.gif MsBinns is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 2980 days
Location: old Virginia
Age: 35
Posts: 430
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Coming from someone who deals with teenagers every day, I think Lavender was actually a very realistic portrayal of a teenage girl.

I think she is very much the kind of girl that is very conscious of what other people say, do, and think. I believe peer pressure and popularity had a big part in a lot of her actions. She was very silly, but I never got the feeling she was dumb.

I don't think Ron truly broke her heart because she was not in love with Ron. Ron and Lavender's relationship was, I think, a very realistic portrayal of how two people end up as a couple in high school. We never really know why Ron catches her eye (one can presume it's on looks) and we never really know why exactly Ron chooses to go out with her for so long (looks, status, make Hermione jealous). It's not two people who deeply care about each other in a real way. I think she cared about and liked Ron because she liked the idea of Ron as her boyfriend more than anything else. I think by the time Lavender returned to Hogwarts Ron was probably a distant memory. I think It's a typical high school relationship in that context about two people who just kind of "happen" together simply 'cos it works and is convenient.

The fact that Lavender stays and fights in the Battle of Hogwarts is always one of my favorite little touches in the series. Here was this person that you never gave much credit to and she suffers a horrible fate for standing up and doing the right thing. She wasn't off finding horcruxes or anything, but it was more of the common man's bravery. I like to think that Hermione saved Lavender from Greyback in time and that she survived.

I always really enjoyed Lavender as a character (if you couldn't tell) and am glad to see she has her own thread!


__________________

"We spent time here, we made friends here. That’s a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, it’s bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after we’re gone. Maybe we’ll see our kids go here.
That’s the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long you’re away from it, there’s always a way back."
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:37 am
sekhmetlion's Avatar
sekhmetlion  Female.gif sekhmetlion is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3078 days
Location: Discussing in CoS.
Age: 35
Posts: 397
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

I believe she is a very realistic portrayal of teenangers. Lavender seems to regard being interested in boys, clothes (most likely) and feelings as a part of being a teenange girl. And she works very much on that part of her! However I don't have the impression she is fool, at least not the kind of fook Crabbe and Goyle are. Just a little silly, and a bit of short perspectives.

I don't think she joined the DA because all the popular people did. I think she was not that much convinced Harry was lying in first place, she just let the majority of the people take her in this. Later she thought better and realized Harry was not lying, of perhaps she was convinced by Harry's speech in Hog's Head.


__________________
Avatar by [i]Pojypojy on Deviantart
Signature by Manechan on Deviantart
.

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old December 28th, 2010, 8:55 pm
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 4914 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,036
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmetlion View Post
I believe she is a very realistic portrayal of teenangers. Lavender seems to regard being interested in boys, clothes (most likely) and feelings as a part of being a teenange girl. And she works very much on that part of her! However I don't have the impression she is fool, at least not the kind of fook Crabbe and Goyle are. Just a little silly, and a bit of short perspectives.
I agree with this. She's one of the many. And, in a way, the trio and the Order fought Voldemort to protect the world of innocent trivialities Lavender lived in.


Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:27 pm
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3981 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 34
Posts: 2,591
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

From the "What would you change?" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony_M View Post
Well the point was that Ron didn't feel anything for Lavender but used her because she noticed him, not Harry, and also because he felt betrayed by Hermione for kissing Krum (ridiculous I know) so it was just a way for him to 'emotionally mature'. And why would Padma be his girlfriend when he ignored her completely at the Yule Ball? I think Lavender should have shown interest in him prior to HBP, maybe towards the end of OotP.
I think Ron and Lavender were both using each other - Ron, because he believed Hermione thought he wasn't good enough, and he wanted to feel and show that someone fancied him. Lavender, IMO, was drawn to Ron after the Ministry incident, and moreso, after he joined the Quidditch team. I think she wanted to date someone who was important, and had been involved in something of note - she says herself that Ron was "interesting" after he was poisoned.


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:51 pm
liquidtree  Male.gif liquidtree is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2792 days
Location: Atlanta, GA, States
Posts: 25
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Hey everyone...I wanted to post MY unbiased answers to these questions before I read the thread...

Lavender's favourite subject is Divination. We know that Trelawney is a true Seer, although her inner eye is often clouded. Do you think that Trelawney was right when she claimed to see real a talent for Divination in Lavender?
This is possible, but it is also VERY possible that Trelawney "saw" that b/c Lav is one of her fave students...or should I say Lav is one of the students who trully believes in Trelawney...

Does her name tell us anything about her character?
If you want to get really deep and speculative about this - then MAYBE, but I doubt it.

In OotP Lavender believed the lies the Daily Prophet spread about Harry but, later on, she joined Dumbledore's Army. What were her motives? Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?
They are all kids growing up and trying to mature...I doubt it was as much peer pressure as it was her choice....

In HBP Lavender gained in importance by becoming Ron's girlfriend. Despite her usual silliness she seemed to take their relationship seriously; she even interrogated Harry. Do you think Ron broke her heart?
Yes, but she will get over it..=)

How will this affect her future interactions with the trio?
That doesnt matter, b/c it doesnt....

We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?
As we have seen in the books (except for a few rare instances, the type of "blood" a wizard is, makes no difference...


Good questions though...be on the lookout, soon I will have my own set of questions for you all...

I just hope I post it in the right place - forgive me I am a first yr. LOL


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old April 15th, 2011, 1:56 am
HedwigsFlight7  Female.gif HedwigsFlight7 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2785 days
Location: Owlery
Posts: 32
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krums_Girl View Post
And as a boyfriend, Ron was cold and was using her to make Hermione jealous- I don't think Lavender was the only problem in that relationship.
Lav def got the short end of the stick. I think she truly liked him for all the reasons mentioned- Quidditch and the battle at the Ministry. Ron used her to make Hermione jealous even though he wasn't 100% aware that was what he was doing. his hormones were driving at that point. Now Ron is my favorite and has been since the first Hogwarts Express scene in book 1, but he was being a typical teenage boy. Although Lav was EXTREMELY annoying and I couldn't wait for them to break up, it was one of the most real teenage relationships in the whole series. Most of them are hot and heavy one minute and then cold as ice the next.


__________________
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old April 15th, 2011, 3:59 am
horcrux4's Avatar
horcrux4  Female.gif horcrux4 is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4747 days
Location: Sheffield UK
Age: 73
Posts: 2,167
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigsFlight7 View Post
Lav def got the short end of the stick. I think she truly liked him for all the reasons mentioned- Quidditch and the battle at the Ministry. Ron used her to make Hermione jealous even though he wasn't 100% aware that was what he was doing. his hormones were driving at that point. Now Ron is my favorite and has been since the first Hogwarts Express scene in book 1, but he was being a typical teenage boy. Although Lav was EXTREMELY annoying and I couldn't wait for them to break up, it was one of the most real teenage relationships in the whole series. Most of them are hot and heavy one minute and then cold as ice the next.
I agree with you on this. Ron/Lavender is a more typical teen relationship than most of the others, except perhaps Ginny's trying the field. Teen years are often a time for experimenting with relationships before settling into something more serious. Some become permanent but more don't.

I'm interested as to why Lavender chose Ron to come on to. If she wanted a Quidditch hero who fought at the Ministry and was 'interesting', why didn't she try for Harry? He was available at that time. Maybe he seemed inaccessible and Ron more approachable?


__________________
Meet Mickey, my new kitten!
Quote:
"From this time forth we shall be leaving the firm foundation of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork."
Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old April 15th, 2011, 6:00 am
GingerCat1  Undisclosed.gif GingerCat1 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3173 days
Posts: 1,656
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I'm interested as to why Lavender chose Ron to come on to. If she wanted a Quidditch hero who fought at the Ministry and was 'interesting', why didn't she try for Harry? He was available at that time. Maybe he seemed inaccessible and Ron more approachable?
Its a good question and i would have to assume it is for one of these reasons

1. Lavender found Ron more attractive
2. Lavender preferred Ron's personality
3. Lavender didn't think she had a chance with Harry
4. (i have seen this one in fan fiction) Lavender was tired of being beaten by Hermione in everything and Lavender went for the thing (Ron) that Hermione truly wanted. In a way for parts of 6th year Lavender beat Hermione at something.

As for people saying that Ron only dating Lavender to make Hermione jealous i disagree as i honestly think that when Ron heard that Hermione and Krum had kissed he thought he was pathetic, that he had no chance with Hermione and Hermione would always be out of his league. Thinking this Ron tries to restore some of his crushed manhood and he finds the first girl who is interested in him and he dates her simply to prove to himself that he is the type of guy that girls would like to date.


Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old April 15th, 2011, 1:55 pm
bellatrix93's Avatar
bellatrix93  Female.gif bellatrix93 is offline
Malum Veneficus
 
Joined: 3918 days
Location: The Dark Lord's HQ (Mordor) :p
Posts: 2,394
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Its a good question and i would have to assume it is for one of these reasons

1. Lavender found Ron more attractive
2. Lavender preferred Ron's personality
I think these two are more likely than the others. Lavender and Parvati didn't seem to pay Hermione much attention, so I find it difficult to think that she was so desprately jealous of Hermione's accomplishments that she had to date Ron simply to make Hermione jealous.

I think Lavender was really attracted to Ron, even before HBP. In PoA he argued with Hermione over her dead pet, probably such incident left an impression on her, that always made her respect and like Ron.

Though I'd agree that after starting to date Ron, she must have developed a great deal of jealousy toward Hermione, not just because she was Ron's friend but also because she was intrested in Ron.


__________________



Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!


Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old April 15th, 2011, 2:31 pm
HedwigsFlight7  Female.gif HedwigsFlight7 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2785 days
Location: Owlery
Posts: 32
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I agree with you on this. Ron/Lavender is a more typical teen relationship than most of the others, except perhaps Ginny's trying the field. Teen years are often a time for experimenting with relationships before settling into something more serious. Some become permanent but more don't.

I'm interested as to why Lavender chose Ron to come on to. If she wanted a Quidditch hero who fought at the Ministry and was 'interesting', why didn't she try for Harry? He was available at that time. Maybe he seemed inaccessible and Ron more approachable?
Lavender thought Ron was more in her league I think, lol.


__________________
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old April 15th, 2011, 6:57 pm
LyraLovegood  Female.gif LyraLovegood is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3670 days
Location: Left Coast USA
Age: 50
Posts: 997
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigsFlight7 View Post
Lavender thought Ron was more in her league I think, lol.
Do you think it's possible that she set her sights on Ron because she knew how Hermione felt about him, and wanted to make her jealous? There's reason for Lav to dislike Hermione, after all. Jealousy of her academic brilliance and achievements and of her close relationship to the famous Harry Potter, and Hermione's obvious disdain for Divination, which is presented as one of Lavender's best subjects, and for Trelawney and Firenze, her (seemingly) favorite teachers.


__________________
"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old April 15th, 2011, 7:38 pm
HedwigsFlight7  Female.gif HedwigsFlight7 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2785 days
Location: Owlery
Posts: 32
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraLovegood View Post
Do you think it's possible that she set her sights on Ron because she knew how Hermione felt about him, and wanted to make her jealous? There's reason for Lav to dislike Hermione, after all. Jealousy of her academic brilliance and achievements and of her close relationship to the famous Harry Potter, and Hermione's obvious disdain for Divination, which is presented as one of Lavender's best subjects, and for Trelawney and Firenze, her (seemingly) favorite teachers.
I think she just became attracted to him due to his onset of fame with in Hogwarts. But I am sure making Hermione jealous was an added bonus to her!


__________________
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old April 15th, 2011, 8:21 pm
GingerCat1  Undisclosed.gif GingerCat1 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3173 days
Posts: 1,656
Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigsFlight7 View Post
Lavender thought Ron was more in her league I think, lol.
Lavender never seemed to lack in confidence though. I always got the impression that Lavender thought no guy was out of her league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I think these two are more likely than the others. Lavender and Parvati didn't seem to pay Hermione much attention, so I find it difficult to think that she was so desprately jealous of Hermione's accomplishments that she had to date Ron simply to make Hermione jealous.

I think Lavender was really attracted to Ron, even before HBP. In PoA he argued with Hermione over her dead pet, probably such incident left an impression on her, that always made her respect and like Ron.

Though I'd agree that after starting to date Ron, she must have developed a great deal of jealousy toward Hermione, not just because she was Ron's friend but also because she was intrested in Ron.
I also generally think the first 2 options of Lavender preferring Ron in terms of looks and personality over Harry seems much more likely as it is the simplest explanation and the simplest explanation is often the correct one.


Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, lavender brown


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:24 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.