Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Old November 8th, 2008, 4:12 pm
First Year

Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Lavender's favourite subject is Divination. We know that Trelawney is a true Seer, although her inner eye is often clouded. Do you think that Trelawney was right when she claimed to see real a talent for Divination in Lavender?
haha, i think the only reason trelawney said that is because Lavender was one of the only students to show the slightest bit of interest in the subject.

Does her name tell us anything about her character?
umm i wouldn't think so...

In OotP Lavender believed the lies the Daily Prophet spread about Harry but, later on, she joined Dumbledore's Army. What were her motives? Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?
I think maybe she is the type of person who follows other people's opinions rather than forming her own, so she was easily swayed by the daily prophet. However, i think she joined the DA because she was convinced by the first meeting when harry talked to them all (i think she was at the first meeting? i havent read ootp in a while) if it weren't for the daily prophet she wouldn't have needed convincing to join the DA.

In HBP Lavender gained in importance by becoming Ron's girlfriend. Despite her usual silliness she seemed to take their relationship seriously; she even interrogated Harry. Do you think Ron broke her heart? How will this affect her future interactions with the trio?
I dunno, i think she might've hurt for while, but got over it eventually.

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2008, 4:36 pm
Zonko's Employee

I think if Fenrir's attack did have an effect of her then it could have been good for her in a way. Maybe make her mature a bit and be less vain

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old November 12th, 2008, 8:14 pm
Second Year

Lavender's favourite subject is Divination. We know that Trelawney is a true Seer, although her inner eye is often clouded. Do you think that Trelawney was right when she claimed to see real a talent for Divination in Lavender?

Its difficult to tell as we never saw her make any predictions. What we do know is that Trelawney was a bit 'iffy' when it came to her predictions. So, my opinion is that Trelawney possibly did see true seer potential in Lavender, but weither or not she truely has the seer gene, I couldnt say. But I do believe that Trelawney thought she had a real talent. If Trelawney isn't a 'right old fraud', then there is no reason to believe that Lavender wouldnt have the talent...

Well, I do tend to associate Lavender with girly-ness. But Im not very good with the meaning of names...

In OotP Lavender believed the lies the Daily Prophet spread about Harry but, later on, she joined Dumbledore's Army. What were her motives? Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?

I hadnt noticed that she beileved the lies, then joined the DA. I think she probably just realised that it was a load of rubbish, and that anyone - let alone Harry - would make something like that up. Or maybe... She started to fancy Ron... I'd join up if the person I fancied was involved!

In HBP Lavender gained in importance by becoming Ron's girlfriend. Despite her usual silliness she seemed to take their relationship seriously; she even interrogated Harry. Do you think Ron broke her heart? How will this affect her future interactions with the trio?

I do think that Ron broke her heart to an extent. But not massively. Im sure at the time she was devistated, and cried and wished she was still with him etc, but over time (and probably not that much time) she would have realised that it wasnt really the big love she had imagined it to be. Girls of that age will always think its the end of the world. I had my first boyfriend at 15 and cried and cried when he broke up with me, then I realised that I didnt actually like him that much anyway! As for her interactions with the trio, I think by the time she sees them after Ron and Hermione get together, she would have been over it and I'm sure they would just go back to how they were. They werent exactly close anyway - they got on etc but they werent like proper friends.

We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?

Hmm.. I'm not too sure about her blood status. I have a feeling that she isnt a pure blood though. Im not too sure why. However, I dont think its of any importance - other wise, it would have been mentioned in the book. She was always just a back round character - up until she became Ron's girlfriend - so I really dont think it matters either way.

Twitter @potterlalashley // @lalalaley4ev

Last edited by TheShley; November 12th, 2008 at 8:16 pm. Reason: I didnt like the way it looked...
Old January 14th, 2009, 3:25 am
First Year

I always had the feeling she had grown up aroung wizards, even if it was only one side of her family. She was almost always mentioned when the "Voldemort Gasp" took place. If you notice, it is mostly non-Muggle-borns who react the worst, and I think because, for them it is a huge thing, meanwhile Muggle-borns react but not as fiercly. Lavender usually screams a bit, so I think she is at least a half-and-half, but, does it realy matter?

"Sorry Tonks, Remus just isn't that into you."

Proud Remus/Sirius shipper, because they should be canon. If you support this ship, put this in your sig!
Old January 14th, 2009, 5:18 am
Banned

I really don't think it matters much one way or the other what Lavender's blood status is, though I always assume for some reason she's a Pureblood.

Personally, I find her quite a bit annoying, with her cloying attachment to Ron, but at the same time, I feel sorry for her, because, consciously or not, Ron took up with her to make Hermione jealous, after he saw her with Viktor and realized that he himself wanted her.

Old January 26th, 2009, 11:45 pm
Second Year

I agree, I believe that Lavendar's blood status is irrelevant. What really matters is the way she acts: annoying.
I think that Rowling used her as a way for reader's to love the idea of Hermione and Ron even more: Hermione is way better for Ron that Lav-Lav ever was.

Perhaps in time she will have calmed down and met some nice guy

And yes, indeed she will...
Dance The Night Away..
Old February 25th, 2009, 5:34 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdancer_ View Post

Perhaps in time she will have calmed down and met some nice guy
I have to admit, I wish JKR had told us what became of Lavender. I can't imagine what sort of career she was heading for - fortune telling maybe? Although I formed the impression she liked Divination because she admired the teachers rather than that she liked the subject. Perhaps both.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old February 25th, 2009, 8:06 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

^ I think that I remember from the third year exams that she was actually "good" at divination (or a good liar). But then, a career in divination most likely just requires acting and guesswork, unless she is a true Seer, which I doubt. I think she has a good future as a fraud, like Trelawney, who may occasionally pull a real prophecy out of thin (or in Trelawney's case, very thick) air.

Old February 24th, 2010, 1:03 pm
Second Year

Trelawney's currently shooting two for thousands - what are the chances she's right on this one? She probably said that cause Lav-Lav saw something at all.

Is it supposed to? Lavender Brown seems like a fairly normal girls name to me.

Maybe she went through something like Seamus - when she heard Harry's side of the story, she realised he was telling the truth.

I think Ron (sorry, Won-Won) definitely hurt her, but seeing her fighting in the battle of Hogwarts was a sign that it probably didn't kill her. I'm sure she treated it like most girls handle breakups - badly at first, but time and possibly a new boyfriend fixes most things. While she probably isn't very close to the trio, I can imagine that she's at least on first-name terms with Hermione and Harry. Maybe not so much with Won-Won.

We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?
Given that she has a fairly conventional Muggle name, I'm gonna guess she's probably Muggle-born. Maybe that's partly what motivated her to stay and fight - she realised the danger she was in and that her only hope was to fend for herself.

"We Slytherins are brave, but not stupid." - Phineas Nigellus Black.

"Dreams like this must die." - RIP Andy Wood.
Old February 25th, 2010, 8:34 pm
Sixth Year

I don't think Lavender's character mattered at all. She was just as these boys Ginny dated before Harry. Somebody without any real importance, a silly girl you take and you throw away.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old July 19th, 2010, 7:39 am
First Year

I think Lavender as well as pavarti found the subject of divination interesting because of their characteristics as being teenage “silly” girls, I know at that age, and even today I find (astrology, palm reading, ect) very interesting, although I do take the information with a grain of salt and don’t look too much into things. I think divination is a subject that would give answers to questions that people seek even if they are not based on concrete facts, because its still an answer. Therefore, in my opinion lavender found this subject to be especially interesting because she was able to find answers to questions in her life, that she would not be able to find anywhere else.

As mentioned in the lexicon, “in flower symbolism lavender symbolizes affection; cleansing; or concealment” I think lavenders name suited her because she definitely showed affection to Ron in HBP so much affection that it could be considered borderline obsession. I also think Cleansing fits her because Ron as a way to cleanse his anger towards Hermione used lavender, he might of done it unknowingly, but I think he needed to prove that he was able to kiss someone else and be with someone else (like he thought Hermione did). Therefore cleansed himself from having some sort of resentment against Hermione in the future, since in the end they would both be even (since they both had kissed someone else before they kissed each other).

I think she was in Gryffindor for a reason. I think she must of found evidence that allowed her to believe that Harry was saying the truth, and therefore, joined the D.A. This was true for other characters that at first did not believe harry, but later joined the D.A. like Seamus who was the biggest skeptic of them all.

In HBP Lavender gained in importance by becoming Ron's girlfriend. Despite her usual silliness, she seemed to take their relationship seriously; she even interrogated Harry. Do you think Ron broke her heart? How will this affect her future interactions with the trio?

I think in HBP, Lavenders relationship with Ron was used to highlight the differences between lavender and Hermione. We see how “silly” lavender is compared to Hermione and we also see that ron and Lavenders relationship which was based on physical attraction versus a relationship based on friendship did not work. I think at the end of the day, Lavender knew that Hermione liked Ron, and so therefore she knew what she was getting into. Not that it kept her from getting her heart broken, but I think she must of seen it coming (especially if she possessed the inner eye).

I don’t think theres any importance to her blood status, in the end she stood up for the rights of muggle borns by fighting against voldemort

Last edited by mugglebrnwitch; July 19th, 2010 at 7:50 am.
Old July 19th, 2010, 8:11 am
Third Year

Was it confirmed that she was attacked? I always got the impression that Hermione knocked Fenrir back before he could do anything to Lavender.

I hope she didn't die. She was a tad annoying in HBP, but I always liked her and was especially impressed with her for staying behind to fight in DH.

Old November 25th, 2010, 5:07 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdancer_ View Post
I agree, I believe that Lavendar's blood status is irrelevant. What really matters is the way she acts: annoying.
I think that's a bit harsh; did she really do anything wrong? All she did was try to show her affection for Ron. Perhaps she didn't go around showing it in a way that others would like, (ie. the necklace) but she tried. And that's a lot more than Ron can say. Lavender was just acting like a normal teenage girl with her first boyfriend. I've always felt bad for her, and I'm sure that Ron dumping her broke her heart-at least, for a while.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Old November 25th, 2010, 5:14 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krums_Girl View Post
I think that's a bit harsh; did she really do anything wrong? All she did was try to show her affection for Ron. Perhaps she didn't go around showing it in a way that others would like, (ie. the necklace) but she tried. And that's a lot more than Ron can say. Lavender was just acting like a normal teenage girl with her first boyfriend. I've always felt bad for her, and I'm sure that Ron dumping her broke her heart-at least, for a while.
I never got the impression that Ron was Lavender's first boyfriend. It was never mentioned in the books mainly because it wasn't important but i think Lavender is the type who would have dated quite a few guys by 6th year, she probably started dating in 3rd or 4th year.

She will have to learn however not to be so needy as that is always a huge turn off for most guys. Plus she seemed to define herself by who she was currently dating which isn't exactly the most healthy thing to do.

Old November 25th, 2010, 9:21 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Plus she seemed to define herself by who she was currently dating which isn't exactly the most healthy thing to do.
That is something many teenage girls do; I am sure Lavender is not the only one that did that. She was young, and I'm sure as she grew older she grew out of that. I don't think that the only value she had as a character was the "crazy, annoying, girlfriend."

Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Old November 25th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Sixth Year

I see Lavender as a victim of Ron's personal problems. He dates her because he want to show Hermione, and everybody, thet he can get a girlfriend. And when he doesn't need her anymore, he breaks with her. Maybe she was "silly and stupid", but didn't he know it from the beginning? And, honestly, she wasn't far more stupid than other girls, Hermione included.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old November 25th, 2010, 10:58 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessCharmMaster View Post
I see Lavender as a victim of Ron's personal problems. He dates her because he want to show Hermione, and everybody, thet he can get a girlfriend. And when he doesn't need her anymore, he breaks with her. Maybe she was "silly and stupid", but didn't he know it from the beginning? And, honestly, she wasn't far more stupid than other girls, Hermione included.
Actually Ron doesn't break up with her. Still a month into the relationship Lavender should have seen that Ron was not as in to her as she was him and broken up with him. If a guy loses interest after only a few weeks it isn't a good sign.

Old November 25th, 2010, 11:19 pm
First Year

I thought that her contribution to HBP was excellent; it gave us insight into Ron's mind in the sense that we could possibly see his attitude towards girls, and it also highlighted his feelings for Hermione. Without the Lavender sub-plot, Hermione would not have become jealous, and Ron may not have had the confidence to show her his feelings.
As to her potential careers, I can see her as actually moving away from the Divination area; I think that she is a strong personality and would not necessarily go with the 'wooly' (as Hermione put it) future...I could see her as a journalist for Witch Weekly or something similiar.

Old November 26th, 2010, 3:55 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessCharmMaster View Post
I agree with this 100%

I've also always thought of Lavender as the most like regular girls- girls I would know. She's very relatable, I think. There aren't very many people who have a Dark Wizard after their lives, or have 6 brothers and sisters, or are insanely super smart. There are, however, plenty of people who are easily swayed by popular opinion, and who can come back and fight for her friends, even when they don't treat her as well as they should. Lavender coming back to the Battle of Hogwarts... I think that shows some inner maturity and bravery in her. She's not just the stupid little girl that Ron used to make Hermione jealous....she's a woman. A woman who can fight for what she believes in and make a difference in the world.

Old November 26th, 2010, 9:16 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krums_Girl View Post
She's very relatable, I think. There aren't very many people who have a Dark Wizard after their lives, or have 6 brothers and sisters, or are insanely super smart. There are, however, plenty of people who are easily swayed by popular opinion, and who can come back and fight for her friends, even when they don't treat her as well as they should.
This is an excellent point. It's a very apt description of Lavender, too. She's not a heroine but she illustrates very well that everyone has a bit of a coward and a bit of a hero in himself/herself.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies