Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Old September 7th, 2007, 4:58 pm
Second Year

Re: Lavendar "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

Perhaps I need to reread HBP, my analisses of describling Lavender as a "Paris Hilton Type" may have been wrong, I apologize for those I my have offended, I may have missed something in reading it.

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Anyway, back to Lavender! In the early books I couldn't see why she was in Gryffindor as she seemed very wet and girly in the most irritating way. But she certainly had hidden depths and showed she was a true Gryffindor when she joined the DA and fought in the last battle. I think she probably then reverted to being like she was before though - she can pull it out of the hat when she needs to but in general prefers to be frilly.
I agree, I think she is a girl with an extravagant disposition who expresses her emotions in a loud way, but she has her heart in the right place.

Quote:
I hope someone asks JKR what happened when Greyback attacked her - I'm sure she lived but I can't imagine a girly werewolf!
I think that she would be like Bill, since Fenrir wasn't changed, if she was really bitten during Fenrir's attack, she would have the same sort of scarring as Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrscole
Perhaps I need to reread HBP, my analisses of describling Lavender as a "Paris Hilton Type" may have been wrong, I apologize for those I my have offended, I may have missed something in reading it.
Nah she can be quite an airhead at times, in that sense she is a bit like Paris Hilton

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:49 am
First Year

I was wondering that when they go into the room of requirement at hogwarts and lavender says something, i cant remember what, but i was wondering if it was awkward for her and ron especially, but for all of the trio.

Thanks meesha1971!

"Anyway, things that we lose always have a way of coming back to us in the end..."
Luna Lovegood
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Old September 13th, 2007, 1:05 am
First Year

Even though it was funny when in HBP Harry was walking out of the commonroom with amortentia-stoned Ron and they passed her (is the scene clear yet? can't remember dialog)... It really really made me cringe, I felt horrible for Lavender. I think we are in no place to say that she wasn't crazy about Ron... sure I'm sure she rather cherished the attention and status that came with, but Lavender is no shallow git; Hermione's condescension proves nothing of Lavender's morality. She is in Gryffindor. She is brave. She isn't the pointiest wand in the shop. I never harbored ill feelings for her. Parvati is cool, and she's friends with Lavender. Isn't it interesting how you can tell the author's character preferences but there isn't any concrete as to why everyone should have them? As in, JKR doesn't like Lavender. But she knows that that doesn't mean we won't.

Old February 16th, 2008, 4:53 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

No one's posted in this thread for a while

Lavender's favourite subject is Divination. We know that Trelawney is a true Seer, although her inner eye is often clouded. Do you think that Trelawney was right when she claimed to see real a talent for Divination in Lavender?

I always thought that Trelawney said this to encourage Lavender and Parvati to warm up to Divination even more. The two seemed to be the only students to actually have an interest in Divination. Perhaps Lavender did have a gift with Divination - when you like a subject more, you tend to be better at it.

Does her name tell us anything about her character?

I'm not sure...

In OotP Lavender believed the lies the Daily Prophet spread about Harry but, later on, she joined Dumbledore's Army. What were her motives? Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?

I think that she changed her mind after the interview with the Quibbler and began piecing the story together to finally come out with the right conclusion. In the beginning, she was just going along with the crowd and believing the Daily Prophet.

In HBP Lavender gained in importance by becoming Ron's girlfriend. Despite her usual silliness she seemed to take their relationship seriously; she even interrogated Harry. Do you think Ron broke her heart? How will this affect her future interactions with the trio?

Yes, I think at the time he broke her heart. She adored him. But I think she soon got over it and moved onto someone else.

We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?

I think she was probably a half-blood, but that's complete specualtion on my part.

As for Fenrir's attack on Lavender, I'm pretty sure she came out of it alright. I think she'd find it really tough to be a kind of werewolf, like Bill. She took pride in her appearance and it would definitely be a downer on her confidence. I hope that Hermione got there just in time.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old February 19th, 2008, 5:30 pm
Secret Keeper

• Lavender's favourite subject is Divination. We know that Trelawney is a true Seer, although her inner eye is often clouded. Do you think that Trelawney was right when she claimed to see real a talent for Divination in Lavender?
    I don't think so. Trelawney mostly wanted to encourage her and Pavarti to keep taking her class because there weren't many who really enjoyed it, but they did. Maybe Lavendar did have talent for Divination, and I do think she remembered most of the symbols and omens and that kind of thing, but as for being a true seer, I don't think so.
  • Does her name tell us anything about her character?
    I don't really know.....
  • In OotP Lavender believed the lies the Daily Prophet spread about Harry but, later on, she joined Dumbledore's Army. What were her motives? Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?
    I think it was Umbridge. Umbridge was part of the Ministry, and after seeing what she was like, I think she realized that the Ministry was wrong and that they were doing bad things. I think she also thought it was brave how Harry
  • In HBP Lavender gained in importance by becoming Ron's girlfriend. Despite her usual silliness she seemed to take their relationship seriously; she even interrogated Harry. Do you think Ron broke her heart? How will this affect her future interactions with the trio?
    I definitely think Ron broke her heart, but I think she got over it. it was "mostly just snogging", so in time, she probably just got over it or found someone else. I think it's going to make future interactions with the trio a bit uncomfortable, but it probably won't be too bad.
  • We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?
    I thought she was a Muggleborn. i don't really know why, but i just thought so. During the Battle of Hogwarts, did she go to fight or was she already at hogwarts? because if she already was, she couldn't be muggleborn, or maybe she could be if a wizarding family found a way to protect her and tell death eaters they were related.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old February 19th, 2008, 11:25 pm
Sixth Year

Lavender's favourite subject is Divination. We know that Trelawney is a true Seer, although her inner eye is often clouded. Do you think that Trelawney was right when she claimed to see real a talent for Divination in Lavender?

I doubt it. I was under the impression that she was encouraging them to take the class. But then, would Trelawney have recognized talent when she saw it? She may have seen that Lavender and Parvarti were interested and that they remembered the meanings of symbols and such really well. But actual talent? Probably not.

Good question. Well, I googled the symbolism behind the color lavender. Lavender typically represents grace, refinement, romance, and above all: femininity. The feminine aspect definitely fits Lavender. She is extremely girly, and clearly a romantic. Perhaps as she grew older she would grow into the grace and refinement?

The flower, lavender, represents purity or luck. I'm not sure how that comes in.

Brown represents wholesomeness, friendliness, honesty and warmth. As I've never seen Lavender as mean spirited or a liar, the last three at least would seem to apply to her as well.

In OotP Lavender believed the lies the Daily Prophet spread about Harry but, later on, she joined Dumbledore's Army. What were her motives? Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?

I believe she did changer her mind. I think that she may have changed her mind after the showdown with Hermione. Or maybe seeing Harry stand up to Umbridge changed her mind. Perhaps she began to realize that something wasn't right with what Fudge was saying. Or maybe Parvarti influenced her. We can't say for sure what changed her mind, but I think she did genuinely believe Harry.

In HBP Lavender gained in importance by becoming Ron's girlfriend. Despite her usual silliness she seemed to take their relationship seriously; she even interrogated Harry. Do you think Ron broke her heart? How will this affect her future interactions with the trio?

I think he did break her heart. But she clearly got over it by the end of DH. The war seemed to have that affect on several people. By the end, there was no awkwardness between Lavender and either Ron or Hermione.

We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?

I thought she was muggle-born for awhile, but I'm not sure. I don't think it really matters what she was.

As for Fenrir's attack on Lavender, I'm pretty sure she came out of it alright. I think she'd find it really tough to be a kind of werewolf, like Bill. She took pride in her appearance and it would definitely be a downer on her confidence. I hope that Hermione got there just in time.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old February 20th, 2008, 2:12 am
Third Year

I really don't think so. She and Parvati seemed to be good at it, yes, but they were also the only ones who really enjoyed it. I think that their so called talent comes from the fact of their love of the subject and also their belief that Trelawney was a true Seer all the time. I think the main reason that Lavender put effort into the subject and made it like she had a real talent for it was because she beleived it was possible, what with her rabbit's death and all.

Hmm, I'm interested of checking this now. I'm just going to check on google. Well, I couldn't really find much of importance when I searched the name but then I decided to do a general meaning search to it and it came up that the colour means grace, elegance, and something special as well as being the colour of femininity. I think this actually fits Lavender, as we know she is quite girly and feminine.

It also means 'to wash' but I find that irrevelant

I think she changed her mind after their first DADA class and after she noticed that Harry's version made more sense than the ministry made it out to be. It is possible Parvati or Hermione helped change her mind as well.

I really do, she seemed to have been develloping a crush on Ron since the beginning of the book and seemed to take their relationship seriously although as Harry put it, they mostly just snogged. Everytime she saw Ron alone with Hermione, she felt jelousy; probably as it was obvious that there was well, tension between them and she possibly thought that was why Ron had broken up with her; having burst into tears when Ron brushed what I think was fake snow from Hermione's shoulder. And I don't think she would have sent Ron that necklace if she wasn't serious about being Ron's girlfriend. I think she got over it though, and found someone else who probably appreciated her more than ol' won-won.

I always thought she was half-blood...I don't really know why but I don't think of Brown as one of those pureblood names. But Jo did have Lavender written down as pureblood in her notebook of Harry's classmates.

Old August 8th, 2008, 12:54 am
First Year

Re: Lavender "Lav-Lav" Brown: Character Analysis

I kind of felt sorry for Lavender...First the whole Ron incident, and its obvious that she really cared for him, but he doesn't return her affections, and she realizes this, and does the noble thing to do and lets him go to Hermione. Then in DH Fenrir Greyback rips her apart and weren't not sure if she lived...but its brave that she stayed to fight.

Albus Dumbeldore's words of wisdom:

'Fear of a name increases fear of a thing itself.'
'The consequences of our actions are so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.'
'You fail to recognize Cornelius, that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow up to be!'
'Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them.'
Old September 6th, 2008, 3:38 am
Banned

She might have been, but then again you never know. She might have been just trying to make Lavender happy so that she would stay in class. I've noticed in the books that not all students (practicly none) liked Divination at all. A lot of them thought it was just a big joke.

Well Lavender is peaceful and relaxing and Lavender Brown can be quite a handful and isn't always quite peaceful as we saw in HBP. She was very upset with Ron when she saw him with Hermione again and when he started saying that he liked Romilda.

I don't know. It had to have been peer pressure because I can't think of anything that would have changed her mind.

Yes! I don't believe she had any. But of course I haven't read DH in a while so I have probally forgotten if there were anymore interactions.

For some non-apparent reason, I believe Lavender to be a half-blood. No it isn't of any importance.

Old September 6th, 2008, 4:45 am
Third Year

Idk why, but i never liked Lavender much. Seeing as i was always a Hermione fan, even if Ron was being a down right prat in HBP, i didn't like that little conflict... haha

"'She was there-expecting me, naturally...she hopped down from the high stool at the counter as soon as i walked in and came directly toward me...and the emotions that were emanating from her were like nothing i'd ever felt before. 'you've kept me waiting a long time,' she said.
I hadn't realized Alice had come to stand behind me again. "And you ducked your head, like a good southern gentleman, and said, 'i'm sorry, ma'am.'" Alice laughed at the memory.
Jasper smiled down at her. "You held out your hand, and i took it without stopping to make sense of what i was doing. For the first time in almost a century, i felt hope." (page 301 Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

*Image from twilightersanonymous !!*
Old September 8th, 2008, 2:00 pm
Sixth Year

Well, possible. When she dated Ron she seemed like just a clingy girlfriend. Maybe she foresaw a conflict with Hermione and that led to her paranoia to Ron hanging with Hermione. It's probably isn't though becuase if that was the case she would have known her and Ron weren't meant to be.

Well, she's an incredibly girly teenager, and probably will always be very girly and flowery.

Hmm...Well, lavender seems like the kind that likes to hear gossip and probably believed it at first...I think she later realized it wasn't true. Sorry if I'm not remembering right, but in book 4 she went to the ball with Seamous (I think), so maybe that was an indicator those two were going out, and in book 5 Seamous was breifly mad at harry, so Lavender could have just gave into the rumors due to that...then when seamous let go of the conflict, she stopped listening to the prophet...so that would be the peer pressure possibly.

I think 1/2 and 1/2...Ron probanbly did break her heart, but she also seemed to slowly realize thier relaionship was never going to last, no matter how hard she tried to make it. In DH she semmed to have recouped a bit.

Ummm...I don't think his would have affected anything, but I got the impression she was half-blood.

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Old October 1st, 2008, 4:19 pm
Formerly Known as 82

I think Trelawny was being encouraging with Lavender since she showed such interest with the art. Whether or not that Lavender had the gift I dont think we can be sure. I imagine that the having at least the drive to learn more about this subject made her an above average student.

I think she changed her mind, after all she is a Gryffindor so much be made of tougher stuff than she presents.

Well we can't know for sure if Ron was her first boyfriend but if he was Im sure she's a little bitter about it. Ron didnt exactly handle the breakup very well. I think she would be a little bitter but it wasnt that long after the breakup the war really took off so I think she didnt have enough time to dwell on a broken heart.

I dont think we know and I really dont think it matters. She's not that important of a character. Shes most likely muggle friendly and when we really get introduced to her she's far enough in her studies that she's in stride with purebloods if the case is she's muggleborn.

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old October 4th, 2008, 8:34 am
Second Year

I think that the reason that Lavender believed the lies about Harry in OOTP, but later she joined the DA, is because she changed her mind and believed Harry about Voldemort being back. I don't think that shes the kind of girl that would give into peer pressure.

"It is our choices that show who we truely are, far more than our abilities." -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, page 333

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Last edited by Nympfadora13; October 19th, 2008 at 3:04 am.
Old October 19th, 2008, 3:04 am
Second Year

Yes, I think it dose, because lavender is a light purple color, wich I think is close to pink, and pink is a very girly color.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I actually like the color pink!

"It is our choices that show who we truely are, far more than our abilities." -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, page 333

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Old October 25th, 2008, 9:05 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Knowing Trelwaney, that probably wasnt the case and she said that just to encourage Lavender, who showed some interest in Divination. Though it is possible that Lavender had a flair for Divination.

Erm..no Atleast, not to me...

Peer pressure may have played a part, but she was a brave girl too, I mean she did get sorted to Gryffindor and fought in the Battle of Hogwarts. I'm sure she wanted to learn DADA better and that was perhaps why she changed her mind.

He probably broke her heart but I'm sure she got over it. She may be a bit cold towards Hermione , but surely I think it will die out as time goes by

I dont think this is of any importance. To me it doesnt matter if she was pure-blood ,muggle or half-blood. From a literary point of view, her most important role was to get Hermione jealous and thereby get Ron and Hermione together

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old October 25th, 2008, 5:25 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
[*]Lavender's favourite subject is Divination. We know that Trelawney is a true Seer, although her inner eye is often clouded. Do you think that Trelawney was right when she claimed to see real a talent for Divination in Lavender?
I don't think so, Trelawney never remembered, nor was she aware of her true predictions. When conscious and trying, her inner eye was clouded. I think she was trying to encourage a student she saw was enthusiastic. Maybe Lavender did have the Inner Eye, we don't really know, but I don't think Trelawney was being truly earnest when she told Lavender this.

Quote:
[*]Does her name tell us anything about her character?
I don't think so, unless the colour, lavender is meant to let us know that Lav-Lav is quite girly.

Quote:
[*]In OotP Lavender believed the lies the Daily Prophet spread about Harry but, later on, she joined Dumbledore's Army. What were her motives? Did she change her mind or was it peer pressure?

Lavender, like many others, believed what she had been fed all summer -that Harry and Dumbledore were either mad or stirring up trouble. However, I think that she, like many others, quickly saw the way old Dolly Umbridge was operating and began to question what she had been told. She was ready to rebel and train by joining the DA. She was also ready to fight in DH, when given the option to flee. I think she can in that way be compared to Hermione. In an interview, (not sure which one, sorry)JKR said something like Hermione fought because it was the right thing to do, but it wasn't where her interests truly were, so she didn't become an Auror like Harry and Ron. By the same token, I think Lavender fought because it was the right thing to do, she wouldn't turn tail when trouble was right on her doorstep. But aside from the battle, I think she would prefer a much more girly, feminine lifestyle - her career wouldn't involve duelling and fighting on a regular basis.

Quote:
[*]In HBP Lavender gained in importance by becoming Ron's girlfriend. Despite her usual silliness she seemed to take their relationship seriously; she even interrogated Harry. Do you think Ron broke her heart? How will this affect her future interactions with the trio?
I found it interesting that Lavender only started to pay attention to Ron after the escapade at the Ministry. Perhaps it brought someone to her attention she'd previuously let under her radar, or was impressed by what he'd done. On the other hand, I think she really cared for Ron. More than he did for her at any rate. To make a terrible generalisation, often teenage girls invest more emotionally in a relationship than teenage boys and that was the case here. So yeah, I think she got her heart broken by Ron, but I also think she got over it before long.

Quote:
[*]We have conflicting information about Lavender's background. Is she a pure-blood, a half-blood or Muggle-born and was this or will this be of any importance?[/list]
As she attended Hogwarts in DH, I think we should assume she was either half-blood or pure-blood.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old November 4th, 2008, 8:00 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
She just may have been saying that because Lavender was one of the few people who showed a real interest in Divination. But it's possible she may have had some measure of talent in the subject.
That's what I was actually thinking too. Teachers tend to pay a bit more attention to those who look (and act) genuinely interested in their subject. So Trelawny may have picked up on this, and decided to compliment her in a sense for her interest, just so she can keep this interested student in her class.

As for her first believing the Daily Prophet, and then later joining DA, I suppose it might have been a similar thing that Seamus had: peer pressure from parents or such (provided at least one was a witch/wizard, and got the Daily Prophet), and perhaps other friends too. But when she heard about, and even saw, Harry's true talents, she thought differently. Perhaps The Quibbler made a difference too (like with Seamus).

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old November 8th, 2008, 2:40 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrscole View Post
All through the series I saw her as kind of a Paris Hilton type of person, and can't see that she changed in any way. She stayed to fight simply because everyone else was, and probabley developed a crush on Neville because he wagiving off the "bad boy type" of image according to the authotity
Hmm, I agree.
She's a bit of a bimbo; she frequently succumbs to peer pressure and seems to be influenced by what is 'popular' or 'cool' rather than what she truly enjoys.
For example, she only became interested in Ron after he was seen as cool for playing Quidditch.

However, I have to cut her some slack. 99.9% of teenage girls are like this at some point in their lives!

She was treated poorly by Ron, and I think she would be quite stiff around him, and of course she would envy or at least have something against Hermione. I can see her trying to hang onto Harry after he defeated Voldemort! Oh, that could be a great storyline! Ginny vs. Lavender.

Stella the Muggle.
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
As for her first believing the Daily Prophet, and then later joining DA, I suppose it might have been a similar thing that Seamus had: peer pressure from parents or such (provided at least one was a witch/wizard, and got the Daily Prophet), and perhaps other friends too. But when she heard about, and even saw, Harry's true talents, she thought differently. Perhaps The Quibbler made a difference too (like with Seamus).

To be fair, Lavender did join the DA from the beginning, so it wasn't the Quibbler that convinced her. Perhaps she was convinced by Umbridges' behaviour (it was clear from the beginning she was an oppressive force, a Ministry insider) and maybe by Harry's confrontations with her in class.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellathemuggle View Post
Hmm, I agree.
She's a bit of a bimbo; she frequently succumbs to peer pressure and seems to be influenced by what is 'popular' or 'cool' rather than what she truly enjoys.
For example, she only became interested in Ron after he was seen as cool for playing Quidditch.

However, I have to cut her some slack. 99.9% of teenage girls are like this at some point in their lives!
I agree, Lavender may seem a little bit shallow, but I think you're right, a lot of teenage girls are like that at some stage. Her behaviour only seems more so in comparison to the likes of an intelligent girl who only puts huge effort into her appearance for important occasions (Hermione) and a rebel tomboy (Ginny). I don't think it's entirely fair to call her a bimbo or dim, though, she was among those who stayed to fight, when given the option to flee. Even more so, when to be precise, the instructions from McGonagall were to flee, with the optioin to stay and fight. That is a huge redeeming feature, for anyone, imo.

Quote:
She was treated poorly by Ron, and I think she would be quite stiff around him, and of course she would envy or at least have something against Hermione. I can see her trying to hang onto Harry after he defeated Voldemort! Oh, that could be a great storyline! Ginny vs. Lavender.
I somehow don't see Lavender pursuing Harry on account of his achievements - she pursued Ron, not Harry in the wake of the events in the Ministry. Plus, I imagine that like many others, Lavender matured a lot in the year the Carrows were running the school.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies