Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Molly Weasley: Character Analysis



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:24 pm
birdi86's Avatar
birdi86  Undisclosed.gif birdi86 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4121 days
Location: Ravenclaw Common Room
Posts: 737
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Still, the facts are that Bellatrix knew Sirius to be a skilled fighter and there they hadn't even managed to get the prophecy. Whereas with Molly the war looked to be over, Bella's side had won and she was facing a woman whose biggest claim to fame was having lots of kids.

I'm still not getting the daffy par, it makes perfect sense to me that Bellatrix would underestimate Molly.


__________________
"Scorpius has a lot going against him, not least that name. However, I think Scorpius would be an improvement on his father, whom misfortune has sobered!" - JKR

JKR said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Ravenclaw here but Gryffindor on Pottermore | Add me, I'm LightStar74.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #82  
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:39 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4723 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Because a brave, experienced warrior would have Avada Kedavra'ed Ginny while Molly was busy moving in, both to belittle Molly's big stance and to wholly devastate her making the kill a simplistic exercise. With the great number of goodsiders about, Bella (the Warrior) gave herself no advantage, but instead, placed herself in an inferior position. That is daffy for a great warrior. I didn't mean Bella herself was daffy, although Azkaban had left her somewhat touched.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old December 21st, 2008, 6:48 am
Beatifically's Avatar
Beatifically  Female.gif Beatifically is offline
Elvendork
 
Joined: 4204 days
Location: Central Perk
Age: 26
Posts: 2,183
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
People say this all the time, and it is irritating to hear it if you aren't a parent, but there really is nothing that compares to what you feel when the life of your child is in danger. I've never been in a real fight before in my life but there is no doubt in my mind I would tear apart anyone who tried to harm one of my kids.
Even though I do not have a child, I agree with this interpretation. I'd also add that of it's understandable Molly would behave differently during the battle than normal - she just discovered that one of her sons died. One of the stages of grief is anger; Molly probably took her anger on Bellatrix, especially after seeing how she almost killed her daughter. She just lost one child and she wasn't about to lose another.


__________________

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 6:34 pm
Schlubalybub's Avatar
Schlubalybub  Female.gif Schlubalybub is offline
Suteki da ne
 
Joined: 5684 days
Location: North East Wales
Age: 33
Posts: 2,749
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Molly was distraught. Bella was about to kill another of her children, after she had just lost one, which was an even harder blow because she'd just regained one: Percy had just returned and had been accepted back into the family by the twins, who can be seen to be the most unforgiving of the family. So just as Percy made his way back into the family and had been accepted, she had to see one of her sons killed. That's enough to make anyone angry without the added threat of another death almost immediately afterwards. I think the fact that Ginny is Molly's only daughter is also part of why she reacted exactly as she did.


__________________

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu


Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 9:07 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4723 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Good point, I think that is likely true. Plus Ginny was underaged. I don't think Molly's actions were anomolous - I think Bella's were in some respects though.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 9:11 pm
Schlubalybub's Avatar
Schlubalybub  Female.gif Schlubalybub is offline
Suteki da ne
 
Joined: 5684 days
Location: North East Wales
Age: 33
Posts: 2,749
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Does the fact that Ginny was underage really have anything to do with it? I'm not so sure. Molly was protecting her family. There was nothing she could do to save Fred- he was killed by sheer accident- it could have been anyone. However Bella raised her want to Ginny in cold blood, and there was no way that Molly was going to sit there and let her do it, regardless of Ginny's age


__________________

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu


Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 9:19 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4723 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Well I think if Ginny had been an adult witch, say Tonk's age, with experience, Molly may have simply let her fight the battle herself. I dunno, she may have still interceded under the circumstances. I was more thinking in terms of experience than age though. Hermione too wasn't all that experienced in dueling as the older more experienced people were.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 9:25 pm
Schlubalybub's Avatar
Schlubalybub  Female.gif Schlubalybub is offline
Suteki da ne
 
Joined: 5684 days
Location: North East Wales
Age: 33
Posts: 2,749
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

But Ginny was Molly's only daughter. I don't think that Molly would have watched her duel with Bella no matter what age she was, and what her abilities were. We know that Ginny is a pretty accomplished dueler, we've seen that throughout the series, but I know she wasn't strong enough to fight Bella, who was accomplished at dueling as well as being deranged. But even if Ginny had been strong enough to fight Bella, I think that Molly would have intervened, after all they have a close bond, even if it doesn't look like it


__________________

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu


Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 9:40 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4723 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Yeah, I suppose that might be the case. I could see Ginny shoving her back though if she were an Auror or something and experienced - feeling she'd do a better job. That is what I was thinking. But I think you are right and Molly would try to intercede anyway just because she would be loathe to lose another child in the war. I wonder where Arthur was in all of this...?


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 9:51 pm
Schlubalybub's Avatar
Schlubalybub  Female.gif Schlubalybub is offline
Suteki da ne
 
Joined: 5684 days
Location: North East Wales
Age: 33
Posts: 2,749
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

The only problem is, had Ginny actually been more experienced and shoved Molly away, I can see Molly getting killed in the jostling and everything, which would be awful for them all to lose a brother and a mother...


__________________

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu


Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:23 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4723 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

...well yeah, my story could back fire. But overall I agree with you. I think Molly would want to place herself between Bella and any of her children as she had just lost one - and all of the other factors we spoke of. I still think the scene was unrealistic, but not because of Molly's actions - but rather because of Bella's - her opponent.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:46 pm
RemusLupinFan's Avatar
RemusLupinFan  Female.gif RemusLupinFan is offline
I want to believe
 
Joined: 5292 days
Location: The office in the basement
Posts: 5,897
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

I think Molly is just very protective (possibly overprotective) by nature, and would have probably come between anyone who would try to harm her child - any one of her children. Molly is extremely fierce when it comes to watching out for her family, and Harry, who I think she considers a seventh son. That's just Molly's nature. So I'd have to say that regardless of whether her children were capable duelers, Molly would probably have intervened on behalf of any of her children (or Harry) if she saw someone threatening them.


__________________

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:29 am
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4334 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 33
Posts: 1,974
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Well I think if Ginny had been an adult witch, say Tonk's age, with experience, Molly may have simply let her fight the battle herself. I dunno, she may have still interceded under the circumstances. I was more thinking in terms of experience than age though. Hermione too wasn't all that experienced in dueling as the older more experienced people were.
I have to disagree about Molly sitting on the side and watching her child in a fight to the death. No mother worth her salt could do this outside of predetermined rules such as in a formal duel, and even then I think most mothers would be unable to just sit back and watch what happens.

As for Bellatrix being a bit daffy...let me take it over to Bellatrix's thread, yes?


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 3:30 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4723 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
I have to disagree about Molly sitting on the side and watching her child in a fight to the death. No mother worth her salt could do this outside of predetermined rules such as in a formal duel, and even then I think most mothers would be unable to just sit back and watch what happens.
Well I was thinking in terms of an older more experienced Ginny. I am sure Charlie and Bill were in duels as well in some corner of the room and Molly wasn't noted hoping from duel to duel in order to assist all of her kids. But they are more experienced adults and you'd imagine Molly would think that if Charlie could tame Dragons, he could handle a DE in a duel - not that it always works out in any case. I think she particularly interceded because Bella was clearly more adept at dueling than Ginny. I mean Bella had no business dueling children in the first place.

But the scenario is kind of hole-ridden because seeing Bella and Molly, you would think one of her sons or Arthur would run over to assist in any case, unless it is true that Molly's prowess was increased due to her work as an Order member which is highly likely. But this is what happens when an author wishes to stress a particular point and doesn't take the time to consider all the avenues at the time of writing - which I don't feel like JKR did. She wanted to show that Molly's motherly love was greater than Bella's obsessive love (someone said above, I never read that myself) - but if that is the case, then I think she went for it without considering Bella's past duels, her prowess and the men and even Harry who would have likely stepped in. But again - that would be eliminated if all of those people knew that Molly's dueling abilities were up to par - so maybe that is also what we are to think. But then that detracts from the Motherly love aspect. I dunno, maybe Molly's burst of light swearing was supposed to carry our minds away from thinking about any of this.


__________________

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; December 23rd, 2008 at 3:32 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 4:12 pm
flimseycauldron's Avatar
flimseycauldron  Female.gif flimseycauldron is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4291 days
Location: New England
Posts: 3,553
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Does not Molly say "Not my daughter"? She could have said "not my child" or "not another child" but she doesn't.

I agree that Molly would have stepped in for any one of her kids, especially after what happen to the twins, but Ginny is special because she is the only girl. Molly and Arthur kept having kids partially because they wanted a girl. Ginny was the culmination of a dream for Molly.


Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 5:50 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4723 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Um...so if she lost all 6 boys, but Ginny remained alive, all is well? I think Molly's dream would culminate in a nightmare. I felt she said 'not my daughter' precisely because it was her daughter without added meaning or implications. I think if it had been Ron, she would have done the same, except of course said "not my son". However, my point was that if it had been the more experienced Charlie, she may have allowed him to handle it if she felt he could do an equal or better job at it than her.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 6:16 pm
HedwigOwl's Avatar
HedwigOwl  Female.gif HedwigOwl is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 5189 days
Location: Surfing a Probability Wave
Posts: 6,966
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Um...so if she lost all 6 boys, but Ginny remained alive, all is well? I think Molly's dream would culminate in a nightmare. I felt she said 'not my daughter' precisely because it was her daughter without added meaning or implications. I think if it had been Ron, she would have done the same, except of course said "not my son". However, my point was that if it had been the more experienced Charlie, she may have allowed him to handle it if she felt he could do an equal or better job at it than her.
I agree. I think another factor that has to be considered is that the battle was very chaotic, it would be very difficult to know where anyone was if not in your immediate sightline. Molly saw Ginny nearly get hit with an AK, she nearly topples cloaked Harry as she rushes forward. Molly and Harry happened to be facing the same direction when Bella fired that curse. I think Molly yelled "NOT MY DAUGHTER" so that Bella would be momentarily distracted away from the 3 girls she was fighting. That being said, I agree that Molly would have helped any of her children during the battle, but you can't always see everything that's going on, and you're being attacked by DE's as well.


__________________
http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/401694897da473df47.png[/img]
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...

....I miss David Tennant....
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 6:56 pm
flimseycauldron's Avatar
flimseycauldron  Female.gif flimseycauldron is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4291 days
Location: New England
Posts: 3,553
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Um...so if she lost all 6 boys, but Ginny remained alive, all is well? I think Molly's dream would culminate in a nightmare. I felt she said 'not my daughter' precisely because it was her daughter without added meaning or implications. I think if it had been Ron, she would have done the same, except of course said "not my son". However, my point was that if it had been the more experienced Charlie, she may have allowed him to handle it if she felt he could do an equal or better job at it than her.
Of course not. Why is there an immediate rush to devaluate the boys because I pointed out why Ginny is special? All children are special. Each of the Weasley children are special in their own way. Bill is the "rebel', the twins "the jokesters", Percy "the perfectionist", etc etc etc. Ginny is "the girl" and "the baby". There is a special place in Molly's heart for Ginny in that capacity. I never said that Molly wouldn't do as such for the other boys if she'd had the chance, only that in this particular instance Molly stood to lose that part of her family. Her baby girl. With the boys Molly has allowed them to grow and make mistakes and take on life. She has been able to let go of them enough to do the dangerous jobs. She doesn't like it, she'd stop it if she thought she could shelter them forever, but she's had time with the boys to let them do what they have to do, and to be emotional accepting even though she'd rather not be. With Ginny, Molly has not had that emotional separation that all parents must go through.

Even with Ron Molly realizes that Ron is connected to Harry and where Harry goes so to does Ron and since Harry doesn't have a choice niether does Ron. With Ginny there isn't that same connection to Harry. Yes Ginny and Harry love each other but it is not the same bond that Harry and Ron have shared for years and which Molly has had time to adjust to. Molly has known for four years (Since she thought Sirius was after Harry) that Ron was in danger because of Harry. I know that she loved Harry like another son, but lalso there must be a part of her that says if Harry is safe so is Ron, so is Hermione, so is Ginny. I think this presents itself in OoTP, when she tries to keep Harry from becoming to involved with the Order and not allowing the children to know what's going on. Yes she mainly wants to protect Harry but she is also aware of how her family is tied to his fate.


Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 7:51 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4723 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
There is a special place in Molly's heart for Ginny in that capacity. I never said that Molly wouldn't do as such for the other boys if she'd had the chance, only that in this particular instance Molly stood to lose that part of her family. Her baby girl. With the boys Molly has allowed them to grow and make mistakes and take on life. She has been able to let go of them enough to do the dangerous jobs. She doesn't like it, she'd stop it if she thought she could shelter them forever, but she's had time with the boys to let them do what they have to do, and to be emotional accepting even though she'd rather not be.
Perhaps, but I think if she would have felt and acted the same if she'd witnessed any of her children under attack in just that way - in light of Fred and Harry's deaths. I think those other considerations are true, but not in the heat of that particular battle, imo.

Quote:
Even with Ron Molly realizes that Ron is connected to Harry and where Harry goes so to does Ron and since Harry doesn't have a choice niether does Ron. With Ginny there isn't that same connection to Harry. Yes Ginny and Harry love each other but it is not the same bond that Harry and Ron have shared for years and which Molly has had time to adjust to. Molly has known for four years (Since she thought Sirius was after Harry) that Ron was in danger because of Harry. I know that she loved Harry like another son, but lalso there must be a part of her that says if Harry is safe so is Ron, so is Hermione, so is Ginny. I think this presents itself in OoTP, when she tries to keep Harry from becoming to involved with the Order and not allowing the children to know what's going on. Yes she mainly wants to protect Harry but she is also aware of how her family is tied to his fate.
I think that is understandable. But under the circumstances, since she thought Harry was dead, I would not think that would put her mind at ease about Ron's safety with respect to what you said above. That is why I feel she wasn't thinking in terms of Ginny being special - just another one of her kids in danger of death.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 8:06 pm
flimseycauldron's Avatar
flimseycauldron  Female.gif flimseycauldron is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4291 days
Location: New England
Posts: 3,553
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Perhaps, but I think if she would have felt and acted the same if she'd witnessed any of her children under attack in just that way - in light of Fred and Harry's deaths. I think those other considerations are true, but not in the heat of that particular battle, imo.
But didn't you say that she might not have because if it was Charlie because he was more experienced? That is one of the differences. Emotionally letting go of your children inlvolves knowing and understanding their strengths and weaknesses and realizing they are ready to be on their own. Denying that each child holds special meaning in a large family is to deny why the family is special, imho.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I think that is understandable. But under the circumstances, since she thought Harry was dead, I would not think that would put her mind at ease about Ron's safety with respect to what you said above. That is why I feel she wasn't thinking in terms of Ginny being special - just another one of her kids in danger of death.
Of course it wouldn't put her mind at ease. Harry dead or alive in the middle of a battle doesn't matter anymore. The danger doesn't go away once he died. The resistance kept fighting even though Voldemort thought Harry's death would make them stop fighting. Regardless, Molly had already made the emotional acceptance of Ron's life earlier, because of Harry. She hadn't emotionally accepted Ginny's life yet. Molly had at least thought she could still protect Ginny. And she did.


Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, molly weasley


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:43 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.