Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Molly Weasley: Character Analysis



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old February 13th, 2008, 8:58 pm
potionmistress  Female.gif potionmistress is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4095 days
Location: in lab, trying to graduate.
Age: 35
Posts: 40
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed?

Nope. I loved her all the way through the books and movies. I think I inferred there was always more to her than meets the eye - however presumptuous that might have been - because she couldn't have raised Fred, George, et. al without being a superb witch. Also, Arthur Weasley's job is a labour of love, not practicality. Molly has to be particularly resourceful, careful, and rather brilliant to make it all work. And she does.

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?

Certainly. She scares the **** out of Fred and George who don't listen to anyone else, really. And we see everyone practically leaping to attention when chores have to be done at the Burrow pre-wedding. Not because they want to do them, but because they ar afraid of Molly.

...Reminds me a bit of my mother's pre-holiday cleaning sprees when I was a kid...

3) Does Molly put Ginny before her other children?

No. I think there are things that girls have to be more careful of than boys in any society - for example, being taken advantage of sexually. (Which isn't to say boys don't have to worry about it; I think girls just need to worry more.) Unfortunately, no degree of feminism (or magic, re. Dd's sister Ariana) will likely change that. I think Molly is aware of that, and maybe gives Ginny a little more close attention, but as far as favoring? No. Not every child requires the same amount or the same kind of attention, and I think JKR made Molly a pro at balancing and being as strict or lenient as each of her given children need her to be.

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?

Is the Pope Catholic? She'll feed them till they explode and buy them all sorts of things so they can give the same headaches to Ron that he gave to her when he was a child. And she'll love it.


__________________
I want to red-shirt grad school and get a job adapting Deathly Hallows into a movie.





(........and while I'm at it, I'd like a pony, too........)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #62  
Old February 23rd, 2008, 7:20 pm
Kimagine's Avatar
Kimagine  Female.gif Kimagine is offline
Sirius' Girl
 
Joined: 4908 days
Location: Make My Coffee Animagus Black
Posts: 2,113
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

JKR said that the fight scene between Molly and Bellatrix served two purposes... I have been very interested in the motivation for this:
Quote:
Molly was the one to finish off Bellatrix to demonstrate her other talents, and to show the clash of loves, Bellatrix's obsession with Voldemort and Molly's maternal love.
-- from AccioQuote
It certainly was a study in cotrasts -- I wonder, then if the message here is that Molly's fierce parental love was much more powerful a force than hatred and obsession, which certainly would underscore the theme.


__________________
That's how we roll.
See my Associated Content Articles Here.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old October 22nd, 2008, 9:40 pm
veelavouivre veelavouivre is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4569 days
Posts: 57
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

It is funny how I like Molly but she also makes me impatient. She certainly is the epitome of motherhood, sacrificing a lot for her children, tender, fussy and stern at the right time. Rowling really did a good job with her, and I was surprised but gratified at the same time to see her not only a good cook and housekeeper but also a good dueller taking Bellatrix down. She is always shown in the kitchen or cleaning or doing socks :-)

She definitly reminds me of my mother too for a few things.

However, a few points that show she is not perfect and that irritated me a bit (but who has never felt once that way with his/her parents??)

- she sometimes forces her husband to take action when he just wants to feel comfy after a day's work, especially where the twins are involved.
- she wants her twins to study when obviously they are not cut for academic future and they finally have to hide to continue to be creative.
- her attitude to Fleur at the beginning was short of cold and even rude, but instead of telling her directly what she doesn't like in her behavior, she does it almost slyly, with dirty looks and a refusal to try to know her.
- her attitude with Sirius is rough and even rude sometimes, considering she is a guest in his house, even if she amends later, what is said is said and certainly hurt a lot considering the circumstances
- finally her attitude with the trio at the beginning of DH when she tries to separate the 3 of them so that they won't be able to talk or to plan anything isn't very helpful.

In the end, she is a good mixture of a very good loving mother, just and stern and tender, but also she carries that too far to the point where her children can't breathe or grow up, or have their own opinions (Ron's jokes cut short) or desires (the twins or Ginny) or fancies (Bill's long hair). It is as if she was afraid to let them grow up and go on their own, which is a kind of disservice. She is way too protective.

But who can really hold it against her after all? I like Molly and she will be the best grandma ever!

She is kind hearted and fiercely loyal. I don't think she prefers Ginny over her boys. As someone else pointed out, her boggart is to see her family, including Harry, dead: all of them. And as a true mother, she knows how to forgive. The twins coming back from quidditch and the return of Percy bear witness!


Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old October 23rd, 2008, 1:26 am
vampiricduck's Avatar
vampiricduck  Female.gif vampiricduck is offline
Qvack...
 
Joined: 4866 days
Location: Cork, Ireland
Age: 28
Posts: 3,271
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed?

Not at all. I still think she's a wonderful and passionate woman, and one of the strongest characters in the books as a whole. I never found myself disliking her at all. She remains one of my favourite characters!

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?

We have seen flashes of her passion, but not in this extent, which made that line and that moment all the more important for closure of events. She had always been fiercely protective of charges she undertook, even of Harry- and this was her breaking point. She had simply had enough. She knew that if she didn't act, arguably someone would die. She had to make a choice between saving her children or letting them fight on. She did what a mother would often be seen as the typical thing, but she proved herself to be much more powerful than I had thought originally, at least in terms of physical strength.

3) Does Molly put Ginny before her other children?

I don't think so. I reckon that in this instance, she simply could not bear to see another of her children die. It seems necessary to think that she simply saw enough, thought enough, and watched an opportunity open up before her. She needed vengeance on someone- Bellatrix was a good example of the badness that took down her son. So I think she did it, not necessarily because it was Ginny, but because she needed closure. If it had been Bill, Charlie, Ron, Harry... George.. She would have done the same thing.

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?

Absolutely! I think she would be focused, finally, on the future instead of the past. She would take good care of the children to ensure that their future would be as happy as her past was tough and complex. The new generation needed to see the world as a clear and happy place- not the place she grew up in and lived in, and the times she saw go by.


__________________

THE DUCK.

Avatar comes from bluebison.net
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:11 am
Drusilla's Avatar
Drusilla  Female.gif Drusilla is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5620 days
Location: Caprica, before The Fall
Posts: 2,315
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Oh, yes- Molly would possibly be the ideal grandmother- the only difference between her as a mum and her as a grandmum would be that her hair might be a bit grey, and the children surrounding her wouldn't all be redheads (we know young Albus isn't :lol).


Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old October 23rd, 2008, 9:53 pm
AliceLongbottom  Female.gif AliceLongbottom is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4193 days
Location: Ravenclaw Common Room
Age: 25
Posts: 146
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed?

While I wasn't always such a big fan of Mrs. Weasley in the books before, I really liked how they pictured her as the true Gryffindor that I normally think of. Not to say that I didn't like her as a person. I thought she could loose her temper a little too easily, and that she was always a little harsh on Fred's and George's dreams of opening a joke shop, but I thought overall, she was a very good mother figure throughout the books. In the very end of the seventh book, I feel like you finally get to see the real bravery that Mrs. Weasley has, not just emotionally, but being able to fight, and fight well, and kick butt while she's doing it.

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?

I think that we rarely see something like this come out of her in the series. There are some glimpses where we see her sticking up for her children in numerous ways, I just think that this was kind of the way for it to be all summed up from the whole series. Especially where she sticks up for Harry in the fourth book when Mr. Diggory is trying to insult Harry, I think this line sums up how she will deal with anyone who tries to mess with her family.

3) Does Molly put Ginny before her other children?

I don't think that she really puts any of her children before her others, but I think that she can relate to Ginny a little better than the rest of her children, because Ginny is a girl, and I think she knows how Ginny feels sometimes, probably especially about how Ginny liked Harry, but he didn't like her back. I don't think it's necessarily putting Ginny before her other children, she can probably just relate to her wants a little bit easier.

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?

I don't think I would necessarily call it doting. I think she would rather treat her grandchildren just as he did her own children before they grew up. While I think she is capable of doting on her children and grandchildren every once in a while, I think it's more of her nature to be a maternal figure. Although, I'm sure she doesn't mind doting on them just a little bit more than her own children, since she knows she can just give them right back to their parents when she's done.


__________________

Thanks for the amazing signature Lisa_Turpin!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:40 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4720 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?

Oh my yes. All of the time. Molly is a loving wife and mother and great to her kids, but Molly Weasley is a NAG. A very passionate nagging woman. I personally couldn't handle it, but Arthur seems to ignore her or take her nagging in stride. I hope Ginny didn't turn out like that or I feel sorry for Harry.


Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?

Sure, she'll be a great grandma, loving and generous, supplying them with treats and such. But unfortunately she'll likely nag them to death also. She nags everyone to death.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:14 pm
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 4912 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,036
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?

The passion, yes. The skill, no. We never saw Molly excelling at magic. She was paralysed with fear when she faced the Boggart. Considering what her Boggart was, this is quite understandable, but it doesn't exactly say skilled fighter. I don't think that Molly was untalented but that she devoted her life to her family. The scene with Bellatrix felt wrong to me. Bella's life was all about fighting and duelling and she had the passion that comes with madness and fanaticism. Molly was first and foremost a housewife and mother. She had a temper, yes, but that doesn't equal mad duelling skills. Her work for the Order didn't necessarily put her in a position where she had to duel very often. Personally, I think that's unlikely.


Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:45 pm
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4331 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 33
Posts: 1,974
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?

The passion, yes. The skill, no. We never saw Molly excelling at magic. She was paralysed with fear when she faced the Boggart. Considering what her Boggart was, this is quite understandable, but it doesn't exactly say skilled fighter. I don't think that Molly was untalented but that she devoted her life to her family. The scene with Bellatrix felt wrong to me. Bella's life was all about fighting and duelling and she had the passion that comes with madness and fanaticism. Molly was first and foremost a housewife and mother. She had a temper, yes, but that doesn't equal mad duelling skills. Her work for the Order didn't necessarily put her in a position where she had to duel very often. Personally, I think that's unlikely.
I have to disagree and pull the mommy card on you here. *pulls card and waves around*

People say this all the time, and it is irritating to hear it if you aren't a parent, but there really is nothing that compares to what you feel when the life of your child is in danger. I've never been in a real fight before in my life but there is no doubt in my mind I would tear apart anyone who tried to harm one of my kids.
As for Molly's magical ability, I thought that JKR's way of showing us she was actually a very good witch was clever; Hermione, who is undoubtedly an excellent witch and very skilled for her years, was absolutely horrible at cooking, at any spells even remotely to do with making a meal. Molly's ability to make really good food and have several spells going on at once does hint to me that hey, there is a lot there we don't see.
I also wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Molly learned a bit of dueling after her brothers died in the first Voldemort war.

So while we may not have seen her in action before, and while she may not have been as good of a fighter as Bellatrix under ordinary circumstances, I don't think those were ordinary circumstances. Someone was threatening her child and she had already lost one. I'd say that is more than enough fuel to turn her into someone extremely dangerous even if only for a little while.


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:49 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4720 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

I would agree with both of you. I think that when one's child is in danger, one can do magnificent things (remember the story about the mother that lifted a car when her child was under the wheel?) So I could see her rise in power to meet the moment happen.

On the other hand, I think that JKR made Bella lose it. She truly was a great warrior and not only had incredible past experience, but also she had recently been doing a lot of dueling. That aside, she also had Bella move into "taunting" mode - like she did with Sirius. That is fine - except there is no reason in canon for her to take that attitude with Molly. With Sirius - yes - absolutely, but not with Molly. In my opinion, she would have just quickly sent an avada kedavra curse and -- the end. Now Having Molly somehow defeat her in spite of her doing that could be realistic because of the mother's formidable love aspect - but that is what had to happen for it to be realistic to me because Bella simply had no reason to move into full on taunting mode. She did toy with her prey, but even with Sirius, her taunting was not a long drawn out duel of play because she knew the danger. At the final battle, the danger was not only Molly, but all of the other goodsiders around and Bella would be taking way too great a risk to draw out a battle with Molly. But she did and that made it not feel right to me in the way Moriath felt.

And Moriath makes another good point. Molly was paralyzed with fear when she faced the Boggart and in that scene her children were dying also. The fact that she could not defeat the Boggart adds to her unrealistic portrayal at the final battle in that regard. Kind of Riddikulus (okay both an old and bad joke )


__________________

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; December 20th, 2008 at 12:56 am.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old December 20th, 2008, 1:18 am
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4331 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 33
Posts: 1,974
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
And Moriath makes another good point. Molly was paralyzed with fear when she faced the Boggart and in that scene her children were dying also. The fact that she could not defeat the Boggart adds to her unrealistic portrayal at the final battle in that regard. Kind of Riddikulus (okay both an old and bad joke )
I'm going to disagree with that - she wasn't watching her children die with the boggart, she was faced with their dead bodies. Huge, absolutely huge difference. If there is a chance I can still do something, anything, for my child I'm going to take it no matter how slim it is. But if all I see is my son's dead body in front of me I'm going to be glued to the spot.

I think there is a large difference between being able to take action to save your child and knowing that no matter what action you take your child is gone.


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old December 20th, 2008, 3:14 am
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4008 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
On the other hand, I think that JKR made Bella lose it. She truly was a great warrior and not only had incredible past experience, but also she had recently been doing a lot of dueling. That aside, she also had Bella move into "taunting" mode - like she did with Sirius. That is fine - except there is no reason in canon for her to take that attitude with Molly. With Sirius - yes - absolutely, but not with Molly. In my opinion, she would have just quickly sent an avada kedavra curse and -- the end. Now Having Molly somehow defeat her in spite of her doing that could be realistic because of the mother's formidable love aspect - but that is what had to happen for it to be realistic to me because Bella simply had no reason to move into full on taunting mode. She did toy with her prey, but even with Sirius, her taunting was not a long drawn out duel of play because she knew the danger. At the final battle, the danger was not only Molly, but all of the other goodsiders around and Bella would be taking way too great a risk to draw out a battle with Molly. But she did and that made it not feel right to me in the way Moriath felt.
Bella taunting Molly seems entirely in character to me and also I agree that JKR made her lose it.

The scene showed me two things: firstly, that Bella was complacent -- hey, it's only silly old Molly Weasley, who's bothered? -- and secondly, that Molly was a dark horse.

I have to confess that Molly drives me nuts for most of the series but I could actually buy what JKR was selling me here: that, as Mexicant says, she was a pretty accomplished witch.

I take your point, Wick, that it was daft for Bella to taunt Molly when all the other goodsiders were present but Molly made a point that this duel was hers alone. "She is mine!"


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old December 20th, 2008, 3:30 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4720 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Bella taunting Molly seems entirely in character to me and also I agree that JKR made her lose it.

The scene showed me two things: firstly, that Bella was complacent -- hey, it's only silly old Molly Weasley, who's bothered? -- and secondly, that Molly was a dark horse.

I have to confess that Molly drives me nuts for most of the series but I could actually buy what JKR was selling me here: that, as Mexicant says, she was a pretty accomplished witch.

I take your point, Wick, that it was daft for Bella to taunt Molly when all the other goodsiders were present but Molly made a point that this duel was hers alone. "She is mine!"
Yeah, I can see both sides. But the thing is, Moriath is correct in that there seems little opportunity for Molly to have obtained dueling experience. I mean, she had the kids pretty much one after another and then raised them through the first war. In the second, she did start to assist, so maybe she did some dueling practice in light of that? Maybe she didn't have to be that good and this was simply another example of the power of love winning over magic and dueling expertiese (a greater force than magic according to Dumbledore). However, that was supposed to be pretty singlular to Harry.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old December 20th, 2008, 3:59 am
CoeurDeLyon's Avatar
CoeurDeLyon  Female.gif CoeurDeLyon is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4349 days
Location: Currently in my head
Age: 32
Posts: 380
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed?
Not at all. She acted just how I expected her to. She was one character who stayed somewhat flat to me. We never saw any real depth to Molly Weasley. She was a very loving, protective mother and that was that.


2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?
We have. When she confronted the Boggart in OotP, but nothing so dangerous. She never dueled before, and the only magic we really saw her perform was household chore type magic. She cooked, she cleaned, but when she attacked Bellatrix, that was the first Wizard on Wizard combat we saw Molly perform.

3) Does Molly put Ginny before her other children?
I dont believe so. Ginny is the youngest, as well as the only girl, so I imagine that she is more protective of her, but Ginny is one of the most self-reliant of all the Weasleys. Ironic how that happened. I dont think she put her first, but she treasured her dearly. She loves all of her children, as we saw with the boggart scene. Notice how we saw a dead Ron, a dead Fred, and a dead Harry even, but I do not recall a dead Ginny.

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?
Oh of course! Harry children are going to be nastily spoiled by her. Not because she favors Ginny over Ron, but because Harrys children dont have any other grandparents, and I imagine Ginny being a little closer to her mother than Ron was. Did Bill and Fleur have children as well? I just cant remember at the moment. Either way, I believe she would be enthralled by all of her grandchildren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Yeah, I can see both sides. But the thing is, Moriath is correct in that there seems little opportunity for Molly to have obtained dueling experience. I mean, she had the kids pretty much one after another and then raised them through the first war. In the second, she did start to assist, so maybe she did some dueling practice in light of that? Maybe she didn't have to be that good and this was simply another example of the power of love winning over magic and dueling expertiese (a greater force than magic according to Dumbledore). However, that was supposed to be pretty singlular to Harry.
I think that in extraordinary circumstances everyone can make things happen that wouldnt ordinarily happen for them. We have the strength, but we may not always use it. I dont know how spectacular of a fighter Molly Weasley was before she had seven children to care for, but I think she would have done EVERYTHING in her power to make sure her precious Ginny wasnt harmed. IMO, I dont think it was love over dueling expertise, but passion, conviction, determination. I dont think it was "I love my kids, so im going to win this fight". The fight meant much more to Molly than to Bellatrix.


__________________


****************************************
Im baaack =]

"I am not afraid, I was born to do this"-Joan of Arc

Last edited by CoeurDeLyon; December 20th, 2008 at 4:18 am.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old December 20th, 2008, 4:06 am
hermy_weasley2's Avatar
hermy_weasley2  Female.gif hermy_weasley2 is offline
Unspeakable
 
Joined: 5604 days
Age: 30
Posts: 2,133
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
However, that was supposed to be pretty singlular to Harry.
Maybe Dumbledore meant it that way, but I think Molly is one of the reasons it's universal in the books. I like the idea that killing Bellatrix is Molly's love being more powerful than magic. Fake Moody tells the kids in GoF they wouldn't be able to kill him by just pointing their wands and saying the words, and Bellatrix tells Harry he really has to mean it to cast the Cruciatus Curse. Harry couldn't, and Sirius's death was still fresh on his mind. If the two curses are the same, it just shows how murderous Molly was in protecting her children. If her love for her children made her feel that way, you're right and love was more powerful.

I think that's how it happened anyways. I don't have my books on hand to check.


__________________
Avatar created by Vita
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old December 20th, 2008, 4:16 am
vampiricduck's Avatar
vampiricduck  Female.gif vampiricduck is offline
Qvack...
 
Joined: 4866 days
Location: Cork, Ireland
Age: 28
Posts: 3,271
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Maybe Dumbledore meant it that way, but I think Molly is one of the reasons it's universal in the books. I like the idea that killing Bellatrix is Molly's love being more powerful than magic. Fake Moody tells the kids in GoF they wouldn't be able to kill him by just pointing their wands and saying the words, and Bellatrix tells Harry he really has to mean it to cast the Cruciatus Curse. Harry couldn't, and Sirius's death was still fresh on his mind. If the two curses are the same, it just shows how murderous Molly was in protecting her children. If her love for her children made her feel that way, you're right and love was more powerful.

I think that's how it happened anyways. I don't have my books on hand to check.
This is also what I would have said. She meant it, because it was her defence of what she loved most and best and the things that were dearest to her heart. I like to think that she was central to the Order of the Phoenix because of her overwhelming capacity to love. Even when economically, the Weasleys struggled, Molly was able and willing to care for Hermione, Harry, and her grown up children Bill and Charlie- without ever asking anything in return. We all became complacent about her because she seemed to offer little other than moaning in the last few books- but that was worry, compounded by the fact that she loved Hermione and Harry just as she did her own children. Love triumphed over any sense of weakness she had (though as a Gryffindor, I doubt there was any weakness of courage) to make her come good overall. She really impressed me in her final moments of action in the series.


__________________

THE DUCK.

Avatar comes from bluebison.net
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old December 20th, 2008, 6:46 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4720 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Maybe Dumbledore meant it that way, but I think Molly is one of the reasons it's universal in the books. I like the idea that killing Bellatrix is Molly's love being more powerful than magic. Fake Moody tells the kids in GoF they wouldn't be able to kill him by just pointing their wands and saying the words, and Bellatrix tells Harry he really has to mean it to cast the Cruciatus Curse. Harry couldn't, and Sirius's death was still fresh on his mind. If the two curses are the same, it just shows how murderous Molly was in protecting her children. If her love for her children made her feel that way, you're right and love was more powerful.

I think that's how it happened anyways. I don't have my books on hand to check.
Oh it is definitely universal. I simply mean that it cannot be used as total justification for her actions because she didn't have Harry's capacity for love - she was actually casting spells (contrasted with Harry ejecting Voldemort from his body without magic and when even Dumbledore was helpless to assist him with his formidable magic spells). So it worked for many people in many ways - just not to the same extent (JKR would not have Dumbledore say that Harry had a greater capacity than everyone else without later retracting it if it were not true). So I think Molly would have to have some talent behind her efforts (like having practiced in order to work for the Order) - and I also think that is why JKR had Bella taunt her as if she would be an easy kill - to show that Bella was not on her game completely.

But the Bella part makes little sense - she absolutely discounted Molly, that was evident in the writting. But that she would do so in that particular situation makes her look daffy.


__________________

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; December 20th, 2008 at 6:48 am.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:50 am
TreacleTartlet  Female.gif TreacleTartlet is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4783 days
Posts: 2,036
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

I think that it is a combination of both skill and maternal love that gave Molly the power to finish off Bella. I believe that Molly was a talented and powerful witch, much like her daughter Ginny, who very probably took after her mother and inherited some of her abilities. Molly, most likely had acquired all these skills before she was married. She just never had the opportunity to demonstrate her powers in her role of wife to Arthur, and mother to seven children. It is possible for her to be a mother and also have other skills.

We know Molly had at least two brothers and as, mexicant pointed out she easily could have learnt duelling skills from them. I also doubt that Bella really took Molly as a serious threat. Yet, another example of underestimating a mother's love.

If I remember correctly, JKR said that she wanted Molly to defeat Bella to show the power of maternal love over obsessive love.



Last edited by TreacleTartlet; December 20th, 2008 at 12:26 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:21 pm
birdi86's Avatar
birdi86  Undisclosed.gif birdi86 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4118 days
Location: Ravenclaw Common Room
Posts: 737
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
But the Bella part makes little sense - she absolutely discounted Molly, that was evident in the writting. But that she would do so in that particular situation makes her look daffy.
I don't think so. Arrogant, yes but daffy?

But why shouldn't Bella be arrogant - Harry Potter was dead (as far as she knew), Voldemort had won and all that was left was to finish off the good side which was almost entirely made up of schoolchildren. Oh, and the frumpy middle-aged housewife that thought she could take on the Voldemort's favorite Death Eater.

Really, it makes more sense for Bella to be arrogant with Molly than it would have for her to react the same way towards Sirius. He was a Black who, like her knew the Dark Arts, like her had survived Azkaban intact and who had fought on the side of the Order for years. He should have been a credible threat to her and if she could laugh him off than Molly charging at her must have seemed like the biggest joke in the world.


__________________
"Scorpius has a lot going against him, not least that name. However, I think Scorpius would be an improvement on his father, whom misfortune has sobered!" - JKR

JKR said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Ravenclaw here but Gryffindor on Pottermore | Add me, I'm LightStar74.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old December 20th, 2008, 9:53 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4720 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Well Sirius didn't make a booming statement of kill and head toward Bella with death in his eyes. He was taunting her back. That is why the reciprocal action made sense to me. Here, Molly is patient fury, and although mainly a housewife, she had been working for the Order since GoF and if she had no dueling skills (which I doubt) she would have practiced when she joined up because she was going out on missions. So that is why Bella's actions seem daffy to me.


__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, molly weasley


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:49 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.