Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Old October 20th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Inconceivable!

Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

JK Rowling has given us some new information on Molly during her New York City tour, Oct 19, 2007:
JKR interview-NYC, from TLCHow did you decide that Molly Weasley would be the one to finish off Bellatrix?

I always knew Molly was going to finish her off. I think there was some speculation that Neville would do it, because Neville obviously has a particular reason to hate Bellatrix. ..So there were lots of optios for Blelatrix, but I never deviated. I wanted it to be Molly, and I wanted it to be Molly for two reasons.

The first reason was I always saw Molly as a very good witch but someone whose light is necessarily hidden under a bushel, because she isn't in the kitchen a lot and she has had to raise, among others, and george which is like, enough... I wanted Molly to have her moment and to show that because a woman had dedicated herself to her family does not mean that she doesn't have a lot of other talents.

Second reason: It was the meeting of two kinds of - if you call what Bellatrix feels for Voldemort love, I guess we'll call it love, she has a kind of obsession with him, it's a very sick obsession ... and I wanted to match that kind of obsession with maternal love... the power that you give someone by loving them. So Molly was really an amazing exemplar of maternal love. ... There was something very satisfying about putting those two women together.
I really liked what JKR said about Molly. I never thought that Neville would be the one to kill Bellatrix, but I never thought it would have been Molly, either. I love the way Molly's maternal love beats out Bellatrix's hate. It fits with the whole theme that love is the most powerful force there is.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2007, 2:17 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Thanks for the quote SusanBones111 . That really puts Molly's character in perspective for me. Like you, I loved the contrast between Molly's eternal love and Bellatrix's obsessive love, and how love can be such a huge driving force. I fully respect JKR for her decision of Molly to kill Bella.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old October 20th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Lycanthrope

I was also gratified with JKR's acknowledgement of Molly as a strong witch with respect to her magical abilities. I have remarked upon Molly's sudden ability in battle in the past as she had trouble with the Boggart. However, this puts to rest the notion that she was not lucky or moved to defeat Bella by motherly instinct alone, but instead a talented female figure in the series. Another stride forward for equality which is a very good thing imo.

Old October 20th, 2007, 3:17 pm
First Year

I was really glad that Molly would be the one in the end to get rid of Bellatrix, all this while I've been disgusted by Bellatrix's 'love' towards Voldemort, and Molly's shown everyone what REAL love is. Although I expected Neville to do the killing off, I now agree that Molly is the best person to do so, although ths dea has never occured to me.

Old November 17th, 2007, 1:08 am
Hogwarts Graduate

1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed?
I love her even more. I love how stressed out she got before the wedding at the Burrow, yet still had the time and want to throw Harry a birthday party. Even though it didn't go as planned she wanted to make it special for him.

She was a little manipulative in how she tried to keep the trio apart, but she did it out of love and worry for them above anything else and I think that is an important point.

I loved her taking out Bella, it was totally surprising and I could not have predicted it.

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?
First off, it just goes to show never get between a mother and her cubs. You can never underestimate what a woman might do if her child's life was threatened. That is instinct. I think we got a clear view of her fiestyness and ability to stand her ground many times throughout the series, but I can't remember an exact point where we got to see her actually fight, so this was a pleasant surprise.

3) Does Molly put Ginny before her other children?
Well, in view of safety maybe, but I think it was just because she could. She was a mother of 7 for years she mothered children and one by one they left the nest to do what they wanted to do. Ginny was the last one left, the last one that still had to mind her. We saw her exercise this in OoTP when Ron was still under her rule, but she succumbed to the fact that Harry would fill him in, so we see her displace all of her motherhood onto the one person she still could, Ginny. I think that happens very often with the baby. It doesn't mean that they love or protect that one more, it just means that for so long they are a mother in charge. Her children were her job (IMO the best job). Ginny got the brunt of it because she was the youngest, not because she was favored IMO.

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?
Absolutely! As stated above she raised seven children. Motherhood is what she does. I am sure she got pretty lonely and the Weasley sweaters would have piled up throughout the years. So, when the grand babies came I think she would have doted on them and loved them, just like any grandmother.

Old November 17th, 2007, 2:31 am
Second Year

1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed?
Yes, in that I admire her even more after the fight with Bellatrix.

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?
We've her passion before (and somtimes her temper), but I think this is the first time we see how skilled a fighter she is.

I don't think that Molly puts Ginny before her other children, but I do think that she is more protective of Ginny, because Ginny is her youngest child.

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?
Yes!

Old November 17th, 2007, 4:09 am
Inconceivable!

I can't think of any particular instances in the book that has Molly showing favoritism when it came to Ginny. It seems like the only children she treats differently are the twins.

I can imagine, though, that she would have treated Ginny a little differently just because she is the only girl. Mothers and daughters have a different relationship than mothers and sons. But we see Molly having both boys and girls preparing dinner and setting the table, for example. So my guess is that any differences in treatment have more to do with what kind of person they are rather than simply being a girl or being the youngest.

Old November 17th, 2007, 4:39 am
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
posted by SusanBones111
I can't think of any particular instances in the book that has Molly showing favoritism when it came to Ginny. It seems like the only children she treats differently are the twins.
I agree with the first sentence and though I don't know in what context you meant what you had written about the twins, I always thought she had a soft corner for them, ebven though she says often and loudly that Paragon Percy is the best, because she had named the twins for her brothers and she is reminded of them often. Did you mean the same thing as I did?

Last edited by The_Green_Woods; November 17th, 2007 at 4:41 am.
Old November 17th, 2007, 4:55 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I agree with the first sentence and though I don't know in what context you meant what you had written about the twins, I always thought she had a soft corner for them, even though she says often and loudly that Paragon Percy is the best, because she had named the twins for her brothers and she is reminded of them often. Did you mean the same thing as I did?
I think you said a whole lot more about the twins then I did. I think that Molly was hardest on the twins because she wanted them to take life seriously. She never considered their joke shop idea to be a proper future for them. She wanted them to be like their older brothers who all happened to be former prefects and all went into relatively safe careers. The joke shop was an extremely risky venture.

The only time I saw the soft spot for the twins was when they came back from the World Cup. There must be some others, though.

Old November 17th, 2007, 5:20 am
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
posted by SusanBones111
I think that Molly was hardest on the twins because she wanted them to take life seriously. She never considered their joke shop idea to be a proper future for them. She wanted them to be like their older brothers who all happened to be former prefects and all went into relatively safe careers. The joke shop was an extremely risky venture.
So you did mean something else entirely!

I agree with what you say, but in addtion I always thought after reading that bit about her brothers and how the twins were named for them, she had a soft spot for them.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 4:09 pm
Second Year

I always wondered why the twins were frightened of Molly. There was no other authority figure in their lives that they held true respect/fear for, but when Molly got angry, the twins seemed genuinely scared.

I felt all along that there was a tiger in the laundry basket with Molly, but until she meets our darling Bella, we never really got to see it. As I read the fight with Bella, I can distinctly remember thinking "Hah! I knew Gred and Forge had a reason to fear their mum!"

It is really nice to see a woman who is extraordinarily talented choose to be a housewife and not have that diminish her talents when it comes down to the wire.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 5:23 pm
Sixth Year

[quote=GingerR;4917050]I always wondered why the twins were frightened of Molly. There was no other authority figure in their lives that they held true respect/fear for, but when Molly got angry, the twins seemed genuinely scared.
[quote]

Well, I would be scared, too. We see how Molly can be in DH.

I think Molly is kind of a stereotyp of a loving, pleasant mother (or maybe not so pleasant sometimes ) who can be VERY protective of her children. "A tiger in the laundry basket, as GingerR said. I also always liked how she included Harry into the Weasley family. That saw sweet of her.

Old February 6th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Only for the better. I really love that Molly was represented as a strong woman, who had chosen to stay at home and look after her children. Although she was a stay-at-home mother that didn't affect how strong or powerful she was as a witch, and I loved that she could hold her own against Bellatrix. One thing that did slightly annoy about her in DH was her constant fussing of Harry, Ron and Hermione before they went to search for the Horcruxes. She wouldn't stop fussing and telling them to stay - I understand her reasons as she was upset and didn't want anything to happen to the three of them, but it was still pretty frustrating as a reader.

I think we have seen falshes of her anger and passion a few times, but nothing to this kind of scale before.

I don't think she has a favourite of her children, but I think perhaps she was more protective of her daughter. She didn't have to worry about her sons quite as much. Also, I think mothers do have a slightly stronger bond with their daughters than their sons. But I don't think she loved Ginny any more than the boys, and I'm sure if one of her sons had been in danger she would have reacted in exactly the same way.

Most definitely! I think she'd love it and really enjoy being a grandmother.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old February 6th, 2008, 3:58 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
Most definitely! I think she'd love it and really enjoy being a grandmother.
She'd probably spoil them rotten .

I also agree that she didn't consciously favor any one child over any other one, but she feared equally for all of them. Her boggart in OoTP (dead Percy, even, who was estranged at this point) showed this to me. That being said, seeing her daughter in danger gave her that extra "oomph" to go and take on Bella.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old February 6th, 2008, 5:05 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
I also agree that she didn't consciously favor any one child over any other one, but she feared equally for all of them. Her boggart in OoTP (dead Percy, even, who was estranged at this point) showed this to me. That being said, seeing her daughter in danger gave her that extra "oomph" to go and take on Bella.
Hmm...that's a good point! Her boggart did showed us that she loved all of her family equally, and she thinks of Harry as part of the family. When I saw that, I thought, "Awwwwwww, that is so sweet!" She is a very loving and caring woman who cares equally for each member of her family. And I agree with you about her fighting Bella; her only daughter was in danger, so she natually went in for the fight. And she did a good job of it, too. We get to see how protective of her children she can really be. I think of her as a lioness protecting her cubs.

Old February 7th, 2008, 2:04 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Only to love her more. I always loved her for her motherly-ness. I loved the paradox in her, that she could be so gentle and kind, and yet so ferocious as to frighten the kids. I loved her for including Harry in her family and looking at for him like a mother.

I always suspected she was powerful (like mother, like daughter), but I never expected to see it in such a splendid way as in DH. That was fabulous. It just made me love her more. (For me, being a Weasley fan includes the parents )

Quote:
I think we saw flashes of the power, but obviously not to that extent. Her anger at the twins was one such thing. She was always described in menacing, powerful terms when confronting the twins (ferocious tiger, for instance). We've seen her overdo her magic when upset (cooking if GoF and sending potatoes shooting out of skins, is that common?). We've had reason to suspect her power, we just never saw it so well.

But no matter how much we suspected her of power, I doubt anyone expected that line. We've definitely never seen that.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? I don't see any evidence that Molly favors any of her children above the others. She is a concerned, loving parent. It is true that she makes mistakes (mostly with Ron, see corned beef and maroon sweaters), but she doesn't love any of them more or less then the others. She's just busy.

Quote:
Yes. Very much so. Those lucky children.

Do you guys think she makes Weasley sweaters for all the children , spouses, and grandchildren, or just the grandchildren? If the former, she must be working all year! (although, I guess with an empty nest what else is she to do?)

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old February 12th, 2008, 4:35 pm
First Year

I always loved Molly, especially in the later books, because even when times were tough she could inject a bit of common sense. I'm not saying she doesn't get upset about stuff, look at her boggart, but the way she's always cooking these huge meals and looking after everyone makes me think of her house as a sort of sanctuary: whenever you were there you were safe. The death eaters at the wedding shocked me way more than they should have because they were violating that.
Her line to Bella didn't really shock me, because it was such a perfect reaction to what was happening. I loved it though, go Molly! I wonder how it made Ginny feel?
People have said that Molly was like the opposite of the Dursleys. I think you can also compare her approach to Harry with Sirius', think of what they both said when the DA was set up.

Last edited by iamda; February 12th, 2008 at 4:39 pm.
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:17 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I have always loved Molly's character and have identified with her a bit just on a motherly level. Throughout the series she has always seemed to me to be a great example of unconditional love and I was always glad that Harry had her in his life, and we can see that he really appreciated it in DH when he goes so far as to try and put all the unsaid things he didn't have words for into his hug to her. Becoming a mother really does change your world, and there is nothing you wouldn't do for your children anymore. As soon as she stepped into the fight with Bella, I knew who was going to win because I know that I would let no one harm either of my kids and I think JKR probably feels the same.
I admit I was really gratified to hear that JKR said Molly has always been formidable and a powerful witch in her own right. I was also really glad that the trio found out that good food is not easy to make even with magic, and I enjoyed the implications it had as far as what kind of talent Molly must have possessed.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old February 13th, 2008, 6:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
Do you guys think she makes Weasley sweaters for all the children , spouses, and grandchildren, or just the grandchildren? If the former, she must be working all year! (although, I guess with an empty nest what else is she to do?)
I reckon everyone. If she makes them by magic couldn't she just make several at once? I always wondered whether she does make them by magic (like Hermione's elf hats) or not, it seems a bit impersonal.

Old February 13th, 2008, 8:31 pm
Fifth Year

I've wondered that too!

It's possible she has helpers! Maybe Hermione's knitting skills have improved over the years?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies