Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:10 am
Auror Emeritus

Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Molly Weasley. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here:Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed?

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?

3) Does Molly put Ginny before her other children?

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?

Last edited by Liselle; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:42 pm. Reason: DEathly Hallows
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 2:44 am
Third Year

Re: Molly Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
1) We saw a couple of new facets to Molly's personality in Deathly Hallows. Has your opinion of her changed?

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before?

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's?
1) Not at all-- I always loved Mrs. Weasley and how pertective and strong-willed she is and this just made me admire her even more.

2)I don't think we've really seen her as a fighter before we have seen how talented she is with magic around the house, she cooks enormous feasts out of very little and can keep a house together with nine people which takes a lot of magic in itself. She's also a gifted healer, like when Ginny got pushed down a bunch of flights of stairs by Fred and George's bewitched trunk and she batched her up perfectly although a fall like that could have killed her.

3) I don't think Mrs. Weasley necessarily puts Ginny first in the sense that she loves her more or cares for her more because I think it's obvious that she loves all her children equally and strongly but I think that having wanted a girl for so long makes her especially protective over Ginny and also she has admitted that she can no longer control the decisions of her sons because they are all grown up and thinking for themselves and Mrs. Weasley does not like losing control of her children so having Ginny as her only girl and still underage has forced her into a super-protective grasp on Ginny. I think she just can't bear to think of losing her youngest child or having her only little girl ripped away from her and so she pours all of the protectiveness and control that she wishes she could have on her boys into Ginny.

4)Oh yes. I can picture both Ron and Ginny being very hesitant about telling their mother that they're getting married or that they're pregnant because she would probably never let go of them and cry tears of joy for months....

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:14 am
Fifth Year

I love her now more than ever, actually. I don't think she's perfect, but besides my own mother, I'd pick her!

2) Molly had that unforgettable line where she confronted Bellatrix. We saw that she was a very skilled fighter. Have we seen flashes of this passion in her before? Certainly. Molly has always been protective of her family. Remember that Howler? Not to mention, Molly has always been ready to go to battle even with her own children and husband about their welfare - it becomes very clear that Arthur Weasley really had no intention of telling his wife about the Ton-Tongue Toffee left for Dudley by the twins in book 4, and you have to ask why. I think that it's because 1. he knows she won't let it go, and 2. he's a little intimidated by her himself.

No, I don't think so. Remember her boggart? Her sons (and Harry) were certainly present in her fears. And after the Quidditch World Cup, the first thing she did was run to Fred and George and start bawling and apologising for having let her last words to them be in anger. No, rather, I think that Ginny was treated specially not because she was favored, but because she was the only girl of the family as well as being the only child left who was underage. Molly's reaction to Bellatrix's attack on Ginny was, I think, a culmination of her desire to protect her daughter and her way of making Voldy's followers pay for what they'd done to her entire family at this point. In other words, Molly'd lost one child, and she wasn't about to lose another one.

4)Can you picture Molly as a doting Granmother to Ron and Hermionie's children and Harry and Ginny's? Oh. Yes. Those kids would probably be the most spoiled little brats in the world. You know the kind - the ones who beg to Grandma and Grandpa's house because Grandma lets them lick the icing out of the bowl and eat their dessert even if they don't finish their vegies. I also think that Molly would be just as fiercely protective of her grandkids as she was her own children.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:21 am
Zonko's Employee

Lovely. Simply lovely. Loved her last words in the book, unbelievable character, Molly.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:25 am
Third Year

Molly Weasely has always been strong and had a no B.S. kind of attitude. I have always admired her and now admire her more.

Absolutely. She has never been afraid to go at it with Fred and George and or even with Arthur. She has always seemes to have the last word in battles, and her fight with Bellatrix was no different!

No, I don't think so. She might have been a more protective of Ginny because she was her only daughter, but I do not think she felt Ginny was more important than the others. Her anger at Bellatrix casting the AK curse on her was inflated because of what happened to Fred. I think that if it had been Ron, or Bill her reaction would have been no different.

Yep. Thought she's tough, Molly has always been fiercly affectionate towards not just her own children, but to their friends as well ( Harry and Hermione). I am sure their grandchildren will grow up well-loved by Molly.

[br]Name: Spectacular Bid[/br]
[br]1976-2003
[/br]
[br]"The greatest horse ever to look through a bridle."[/br]
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:51 am
Third Year

1. If anything, my opinion of Molly Weasley is even stronger because of the way her personality changed in DH. It's very obvious that Molly is supposed to represent the "strong woman" character (not to say that the other female characters aren't strong, because they are) and her strength comes from her children and her role as a mother.

2. That line is the greatest ever. I laughed when I read it. Definitely I feel that it really shows all of Mrs Weasley's personality in that one sentence. There's no doubt that she has a lot of passion especially regarding her family (and by extension, Harry, who is practically part of the family) and that is what drove her to react so strongly.

3. Ginny is the youngest, but every child is different and in my opinion equal. Obviously by being the only girl she has a special place in her parents' hearts, but I don't think that it's something that can be "before" or "after" another.

4. I would be very surprised if Molly didn't spoil her grandkids rotten - it would not logically work at all. Considering how she tended to spoil Harry when he was at the Burrow, it's not hard to believe that she would be doubly as doting for grandchildren.

He was the bravest man Harry knew. ~Long Live Severus Snape~
Old July 24th, 2007, 4:08 am
First Year

How cool was she dueling with Bellatrix?

The floor beneath them firey and cracking. I LOVED IT! GO MOLLY!!!

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:58 am
First Year

I think there's a different relationship between parents and their sons and daughters. Not a double standard (although it happens), but anyone who's lived with sisters will tell you girls are more volatile than boys. Ginny has a stubborn streak wider than some of the brothers, and Molly knows it. Combine that with Harry's "saving people thing" and if I was a mom I'd be concerned, too! I don't think she's treated any differently than other only-girl-babies-of-the-family out there.

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:16 am
First Year

I've always loved Molly: she's clearly an amazingly able witch, keeping the Burrows going with no money and vast ingenuity. It was very cool when she took charge of the duel, truly like a grizzly bear mother protecting her cubs. Great to see the perfect homemaker take on the evil witch and, yes, she got the best line in the book. Hilarious and deadly serious at the same time. How Jo must have loved writing that scene. Grandkids? She'll be awesome as ever,

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:19 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme View Post

My opinion of Molly Weasley is pretty much the same. I have always loved this character, and being a short redheaded mom (of only 2), I always dress as her for the books and movies. If anything, I am more fond of her now than I was before.

Given that her children have all been pretty gifted, I had believed her (and most of the Weasleys in general) to be more powerful than they let on. Think of Fred and George - 3 OWLs each, and yet some absolutely amazing magic to make their products. Molly has the ability to fold socks with the twitch of a wand; Tonks, a quite skilled witch herself, can't do much more than cram the stuff all into Harry's trunk. I've always seen that she can be very firey, in a focused way. I've never quite gotten that in my Molly-ness.

I don't think she puts Ginny before her other kids. I think she may be more protective of her, being the baby of the family. Also remember, Molly had 2 older brothers, and later, of course, 6 boys herself. She was probably a bit doted on by her parents, and I can totally understand that in her actions towards Ginny. Plus, as mentioned before, she's had to let her boys go. Even Ron, who should still be at school, has been off with Harry and Hermione for the better part of a year at that point; Ginny's the only one left at home, the only one she's been able to keep safe.

Molly as a doting grandmother? Hmm, I dunno, er, OF COURSE!!! Holy cannoli, she's going to spoil them rotten. Talk about mollycoddling. You can be sure that these kids want for nothing when it comes to Grandma and Grandad Weasley. Arthur will be handing out pocket money while Molly feeds them all their favorite foods, regardless of how tedious these things might be. The grandkids will be eating souffles by age 3, lol. You know Ginny and Ron are going to have to tell their mother to quit knitting so many things for those kids. I can just imagine sweaters and socks, and scarves; Lily and her dollies will have matching outfits; and booties for the kids to wear on cold nights (and matching hats), oh and gloves, and probably blankets and quilts and ....

Last edited by Lil Red Head; July 24th, 2007 at 8:22 am.
Old July 24th, 2007, 8:27 am
First Year

I cried twice in this book.

The first time was when Harry opens the birthday gift from Molly and she explains that it was her brothers.

Her brother was killed by DE in the first war. This has to be a treasured keepsake of Molly's. She has passed it on to her surrogate son Harry. It says so much to me I may start crying again . She is a great woman.

WOMBAT 3-- I got an E!! Woohoo!!!
Old July 24th, 2007, 9:11 am
Second Year

Quote:
If anything i'm more impressed by her. Throwing herself into the battle like that shows how much she cares for her children. She also refuses others to join in because she cares for them as well
Quote:
We see anger in her many times when her sons are causing a ruckus around the burrow. We also see how much of the story that she is living in fear for the lives of her children, so that her rage is really understandable.
Quote:
It is said that she always wanted a daughter but I think it comes down to circumstance, She would have just as quickly thrown herself into any battle to replace any of her other children.
Quote:
I see her making those wonderful homemade sweaters for each and every one of them for the holidays. I see her as a very loving Grandmother to them. It would probably seem that she loves them more than her own children because she doesn't have to hell at them running around the house.

And I aim to misbehave
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:31 am
First Year

#3 is a really interesting question. Undoubtedly, Ron suspects that Molly's always wanted a daughter, seeing as how the locket Horcrux tortured him about it. She probably feels a bit more protective of her, but I don't think the Horcrux was right. I think Molly isn't the type to play favourites, especially recounting her boggart experiences in OotP.

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:39 am
Third Year

God damn, dont want cross Molly after reading that. O_O

she killed Bellatrix when so many others could not. "The floor beneath them firey and cracking"

I dont think she puts Ginny above her other children. maybe just a little, because after all Ginny was the youngest child.

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:48 am
Second Year

I just have to say, Molly Weasley reminded me of my mother in this book... but a little more tame.

Because we love our Vegemite!
We all adore our Vegemite!
It puts a rose on every cheek!
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:03 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I always knew she had it in her! Molly's my hero!!

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:08 pm
First Year

Molly is the epitome of motherhood in this. Her main passion and purpose is keeping those she love alive. That is the driving force behind all her actions in DH.

GO LIONS !!!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 24th, 2007, 4:10 pm
First Year

Remember, when Bellatrix took a shot at Ginny, Molly had already lost one of her children. All of her pain and grief went into her battle with Bellatrix.

I have always loved Molly, and more so now. She is everything a great mother is, tenderhearted and yet fierce when she needs to be. I was so touched when she gave Harry her brother's watch, and so proud of her when she destroyed Bellatrix. She is going to be the best Granny ever!

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:40 pm
Second Year

Molly absolutley rocked in Deathly Hallows! Up until DH we only ever saw her use her wand for house work, and in this we saw her duelling with and defeating one of the most feared Death Eaters that ever existed with the exception of Voldemort himslef! Go Molly!!!!!

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:54 pm
Second Year

i was cheering for molly and i had to laugh when she came flying into the battle and her "entrance speech" to Bellatrix. Molly is the type of mother that can go from motherly and gentle to vivacious and just plain scary in seconds as seen in the second book in the arrival of harry and the twins and ron. I think she is going to dote on her grandchildren but i think they are going to give her a run for her money just like Fred and George except now there are quite a few more than two.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies