Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Order of the Phoenix : Group Character Analysis

Old October 15th, 2012, 2:36 am
Seventh Year

Re: Order of the Phoenix : Group Character Analysis

I know, it's a discussion about Alice Longbottom, but seeing as she doesn't have her own CA thread and she was, after all, an Order Member, this discussion fits better here than in Lily's CA thread.

Should we start a thread for Frank and Alice??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_chick_div View Post
I don't know. Some how I've always been under the impression she [Alice] was [an auror]. Thanks for correcting me then.
[I made some clarifications in brackets to the above quote so that it made sense]

It seems at times to me that Alice being an auror is almost a fandom assumption but her Harry Potter Wiki page says that she was an auror and she is included in the list of 1970s OOTP members on the Lexicon where it is said that she is an auror.

What is said in GOF by Barty Crouch Jr is that he and others were accused of capturing an auror, Frank Longbottom, and subjecting him and his wife to the cruciatus curse. Dumbledore also says that Frank, specifically, was an auror and that he and his wife were tortured but Alice's profession or inclusion in the profession of being an auror is never mentioned.

Yes, she was a member of the OOTP, but so were James and Lily and Sirius and Peter and Remus and Molly and Arthur and Mundungus and Bill and Charlie and on and on... and none of them were aurors.

Yes, she and her husband defied Voldemort three times, but so did James and Lily and that proves that you don't have to be an auror to thrice defy the most powerful dark wizard of the age.

However, in OOTP Neville's grandmother says this:

OOTP, ch. 23"They were Aurors, you know, and very well respected within the Wizarding community. Highly gifted, the pair of them."

Which, I think, is the only mention of Alice possibly being an auror. Was this JKR's revision from GOF to OOTP, from "Frank, the auror, and his wife" to "the Longbottom aurors?" Or was it ingorance on the part of Barty Crouch Jr. in not knowing that Alice was an auror as well as her husband? Was she not... certified or whatever yet? Had she only recently passed through auror training? Had she taken a medical leave when she became pregnant with Neville so that she wasn't, technically, an active auror when she and her husband were captured and tortured?

Old October 15th, 2012, 3:05 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
However, in OOTP Neville's grandmother says this:

OOTP, ch. 23"They were Aurors, you know, and very well respected within the Wizarding community. Highly gifted, the pair of them."

Which, I think, is the only mention of Alice possibly being an auror. Was this JKR's revision from GOF to OOTP, from "Frank, the auror, and his wife" to "the Longbottom aurors?" Or was it ingorance on the part of Barty Crouch Jr. in not knowing that Alice was an auror as well as her husband? Was she not... certified or whatever yet? Had she only recently passed through auror training? Had she taken a medical leave when she became pregnant with Neville so that she wasn't, technically, an active auror when she and her husband were captured and tortured?
Leaving aside JKR's intentions, IMO if her mother-in-law says Alice was an auror that ought to make it pretty certain that she was. I mean, wouldn't Augusta know?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; October 15th, 2012 at 3:08 am.
Old May 11th, 2014, 4:02 pm
Zonko's Employee

Regarding the prophecy and the whole "thrice defied aspect" I am thinking that the Longbottoms and Potters must have done the exact same thing at the exact same time. Otherwise you would get a total of six times defying Voldemort (three times for each couple) and I don't know that Voldemort was that dumb..

Old May 18th, 2014, 6:42 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Leaving aside JKR's intentions, IMO if her mother-in-law says Alice was an auror that ought to make it pretty certain that she was. I mean, wouldn't Augusta know?
I think that Augusta would definitely know, and she's not one to embellish nor mince words.

....I miss David Tennant....
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies