Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Any writers trying to get published? v.5

Old May 25th, 2007, 7:04 pm
Third Year

Re: Any writers trying to get published? v.5

I would like to be published someday. I have written a short book already, but it is mostly about a personal experience in becoming a mother, and I have an "outline" for my second book which is about raising children.

My goal this year is to send out "query" letters to potential publishers and see what happens. I like writing about personal experiences, and I keep a blog as well. It just seems very overwhelming to try to get published, especially when you are already working and you are raising a family. (I wish I had pursued it more in college, but then I didn't have anything to write about! LOL)

I have a daughter with special needs and she is my writing inspiration. I had an idea recently to do some children's stories about a girl like my daughter and how she grows up, but I sometimes think it would be too emotional to write. I've also thought of writing stories as if "my daughter were normal" but that too might be difficult.

Some suggestions give to me by already published authors is to try to get short stories printed in magazines, or enter them in writing contests. This will help your query letter to potential publishers. It also helps to seek out potential audiences and sell potential publishers on that too!

Someday though, I hope to see it happen!

Old May 25th, 2007, 7:32 pm
Second Year

Well, YellowPoofBall, if you wait long enough, a certain book will come out about a princess who has to go on this long journey to save her mother (the queen), the kingdom, and the rest of the world in a grand total of 13 days. I dont know whether or not it will have a totally joyous ending, though... its a kind-of dark-ish book... I mean, someone has to be ki-- wait, I dont want to spoil the book for you (or your sister)!

So, if your sister is still into that princess stuff within the next 5 years...

PS: Have you read to her Once Upon a Marigold? It perfectly fits your sisters book requirements! And its a cute, quick, easy read.

Quote:
Good lord, how do people find the time to get all these ideas down!?
Um, I don't. But I have a special place inside my head just for my ideas. I just got an idea last night after a dream I had (which was really kind-of a nightmare) that came out of watching Freedom Writers right before I went to bed, and now I have a really awesome idea! The problem is, I think the story that would come out of it would be too cliched. I don't know. I still might go on and write it anyways and see what would happen. But I do know for sure that the climax would be kind-of dark and scary... Heck, it scared (and still does!) the heck out of me!

Old May 25th, 2007, 7:48 pm
Registered Animagus

Cliche? Paolini seems to be doing alright and he's ripping off Star Wars (according to some, I personally feel he's writing a similar piece, but not to the extent that some say it is).

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:36 am
Second Year

Star Wars? Hmm...I thought more of Lord of the Rings...

I just want to make it as origional as possible once I do get to developing it in the future. I want to pull off something that is totally me and never entirely done before. I hope I can! But before I begin the new one (officially) I must get further on in my current one, otherwise I would never get done with it.

Old May 26th, 2007, 10:53 am
Registered Animagus

Blast it all, I thought I'd be good at big fight scenes. But then again, I don't really know how exactly what I want to happen will happen.

Oh, minor thing that won't play any major role - Hoverboards, any chance of them being made commercially availible by 2012 at the latest?

My blog:
Old May 26th, 2007, 9:27 pm
Second Year

I thought writing large battle scenes for my book would be easier than I thought, but they actually are pretty hard. I feel your frustration, GodricHollow!

Hoverboards: Well, if anyone remembers in the 2nd Back to the Future movie, every kid in 2015 had a hoverboard, so... maybe? I doubt though. But...I just dont know.

Old May 26th, 2007, 9:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think hoverboards in 2012 are acceptable.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:12 pm
Registered Animagus

Good. That means I can nod the old noggin to the traditional sci-fi without making it completely ludicrous.

Unfortunately, summer's here, my brother's home and he's dumped practically everything he owns between my bedroom door and my computer, so the work rate is really going to drop for the next 3 months I think.

My blog:
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:15 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Sorry.

Me, I’m just stuck. I’ve written a little bit of stuff that really is not supposed to be included in the book, but I write it anyway because I want to know for myself what happened. I’ve done a little of that lately, but not much for the book.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 28th, 2007, 6:29 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiledOracle View Post
But at the same time i feel that writing something like a novel isn't really worth it since there isn't a very good chance it would lead to anything. why write it when it's not likely to get taken seriously and published?
I know how you feel. I think, though, that there comes a point where it's good to make things just because you want to. I know that not everything I've worked on will ever be published, and I don't really want everything I've written to be out there for people to see, but creating it was a wonderful experience. I try not to worry too much about publication.

I have the same problem with plots, though. It seems I develop my characters long before I develop a coherent plot.

Old May 28th, 2007, 8:54 am
First Year

YellowPoofBall, Your sister should read the book, Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. It's not exactly princessy, but I think she'd enjoy it. It's all about the old fairy tales like Baba Yaga and it has all the history behind many of them too. Orson Scott Card is a fantastic writer. I hated sci-fi until I read his book, Ender's Game. But yeah, he's a very good writer. I think she'll enjoy it. hmmm... what else...I'm a huge fan of fantasy novels. Maybe not the romance part but everything else I love. One really good one is Ella Enchanted (book is much better than the movie) and then I'm currently reading a book called Faerie Wars which besides giving me visions of kittens being thrown into a furnace (the kittens were saved though) is pretty good thus far. If she's into the more eh..."naughty" fantasy books there's the Meredith Gentry series, the first book of the series is called "A Kiss of Shadows" and it's about an elven princess. I've always love the Everworld series by K. A. Applegate, The Last Vampire series by Christopher Pike is really good though that also isn't about princesses. The main character seems to think she's a princess though lol. If I think of any more I'll post, but I really can't think of many "princess" novels

Ender's Shadow
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:47 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMaenid View Post
I know how you feel. I think, though, that there comes a point where it's good to make things just because you want to. I know that not everything I've worked on will ever be published, and I don't really want everything I've written to be out there for people to see, but creating it was a wonderful experience. I try not to worry too much about publication.
That's why i write fanfiction and post my own short stories on fictionpress but i'm at a stage where i should be thinking what i want to do in the future and it just crosses my mind that i should be doing something more constructive you know?

I like writing, i really do and i like to get feedback and constructive critasism, but i doubt i'd ever have the determination to actually write a full novel while also concentrating on another profession.

Perhaps i'm just making excuses.

But then again i've still got a lot to learn about writing and how to write effectivly.

And then i suppose JK didn't get published till later on in her life after being a teacher so i think you're right and i shouldn't worry about the publication aspect of writing until i have atleast completed a multy chapter story lol

Old May 28th, 2007, 3:42 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricHollow View Post
Unfortunately, summer's here, my brother's home and he's dumped practically everything he owns between my bedroom door and my computer, so the work rate is really going to drop for the next 3 months I think.
Pen and paper.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 28th, 2007, 3:43 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Pen and paper.
My sentiments exactly!

I actually prefer writing with pen and paper! That way I can go out into the garden and enjoy the sunshine while I'm writing, instead of being shut in my room.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old May 28th, 2007, 3:45 pm
Registered Animagus

You have no idea how hard it is to translate my handwriting.

My blog:
Old May 28th, 2007, 9:28 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don’t really like using pen and paper. I tend to get distracted, and I never finish it. While I’m on the computer, though, I don’t get distracted so much, and it’s much easier to edit.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 28th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
I donít really like using pen and paper. I tend to get distracted, and I never finish it. While Iím on the computer, though, I donít get distracted so much, and itís much easier to edit.
I find the computer pretty distracting. I tend to sit down, open the document, write a few lines then think "I'll just have a game of Minesweeper" which leads to a quick look on CoS and other forums, and then I just think "Actually, I'll write later" I am terrible! At least if I write things on pen and paper I am actually thinking instead of procrastinating.

And my novel may actually get written if I sat down and concentrated on it for once. I have too much time on my hands.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old May 28th, 2007, 9:39 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissPadfoot View Post
I find the computer pretty distracting. I tend to sit down, open the document, write a few lines then think "I'll just have a game of Minesweeper" which leads to a quick look on CoS and other forums, and then I just think "Actually, I'll write later" I am terrible! At least if I write things on pen and paper I am actually thinking instead of procrastinating.

And my novel may actually get written if I sat down and concentrated on it for once. I have too much time on my hands.

No, I can't concentrate to well on a computer for writing stories. I HAVE to write it down first, so I can be motivated and it reminds me what I am doing, becuase I have CRS. (Cant-Remember-"Stuff") Though It can be hard to read my own handwriting occasionally.

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:01 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I sit and concentrate every night and every day, still nothing gets written. It’s infuriating, and yet I love it for some stupid reason.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 29th, 2007, 3:40 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
I sit and concentrate every night and every day, still nothing gets written. Itís infuriating, and yet I love it for some stupid reason.
Ha, welcome to the life of a writer.