Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Any writers trying to get published? v.5

Old May 17th, 2007, 11:33 am
MODLY CREW

Any writers trying to get published? v.5

Welcome to the fifth instalment of this thread!

For reference: version four

last posts of the previous version:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
I think children’s stories are actually much harder to write. You have to make it that much cleaner and simpler, without patronizing your readers and still having to relate to them. I have a lot of respect for truly good children’s authors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricHollow View Post
Ah. Right. Sorry. Basically, the first season of Buffy revolves around a thing called Heckmouth (to put it in terms that won't offend), which resides under the local high school. The Heckmouth is a portal to another dimension, which is where all the villans of the week and the Big Baddies come from.

It's the same basic premise here (even the locations are similar). Oblivion (that's the name of the main baddie - Sad I know) is from our dimension, but he wants to open the Mouth and release his army that was banished to the space between dimensions (the Void) by the people who developed the technology that my leads are using to combat him.

OK... Reading that, I'm confused. That's never a good sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
Lol, no, I get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricHollow View Post
Phew, that's good.

Pushing 50 sides of A4 in length now, so that should be pushing about 150 book-sized pages I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
I've been published in a journalistic sense but would like to publish an anthology some time. Maybe after school

Please go on!

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:07 pm
Suteki da ne

Re: Any writers trying to get published? v.5

I'd like to be a writer, and I have written a few short stories, and basically they are rubbish. I think a big part of being a writer is actually being able to write...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old May 17th, 2007, 12:10 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
I'd like to be a writer, and I have written a few short stories, and basically they are rubbish. I think a big part of being a writer is actually being able to write...
Yes, it helps!

Seriously though, I think practice makes a lot of difference. I wrote some absolute drivel when I was younger, but the more books you read and the more practice you get at constructing stories, the easier it gets. Fanfic is quite a fun way to practice. Just be careful not to do what I did and spend more time on fanfic than on publishable material!

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old May 17th, 2007, 3:45 pm
First Year

I write, but I don't have anything good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissPadfoot View Post
Yes, it helps!

Seriously though, I think practice makes a lot of difference. I wrote some absolute drivel when I was younger, but the more books you read and the more practice you get at constructing stories, the easier it gets. Fanfic is quite a fun way to practice. Just be careful not to do what I did and spend more time on fanfic than on publishable material!
I agree.

Practice makes perfect.
But if nothings perfect...
Why Practice?

Last edited by tcat75; May 17th, 2007 at 3:48 pm.
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:18 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Yeah, you’ve got to practice every day. No one was born a great writer.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:28 pm
Fifth Year

I'm writing a series of short stories for my little sister who, being a princess herself, will only independently read stories with princesses, prince charmings, and unicorns and the like. Really, it almost makes me sick, all these mushy, fantasy, romance themes with fairies and rainbows and whatnot.

If she likes them, I'd see if they were publish-worthy, since the whole reason I've got to write the junk is that we've been having a hard time finding young adult books with these horrible princess-in-pink themes.

Old May 17th, 2007, 11:33 pm
Registered Animagus

"Young adult", correct me if I wrong, but I see that as 13-17 age group. Meaning no offence of course.

Blast it all, I'm going to have to work tomorrow. Stupid exams. I was just getting in a good rythm and to the good bit too.

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Yeah, I’d consider YA and Teen the same thing and I can’t think of a single teen book that’s like that.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:37 pm
Fifth Year

who said princesses can't be teens? I was referring to that age group, as well. She'll read curriculum-required books like Catcher and Pride & Prejudice, but I need her to start reading on her own so that she can write better.

You all don't happen to have princess stories, do you? Save me the agony of writing more?

Old May 18th, 2007, 2:22 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Not besides the Princess Diaries. That’s the only one I know of, but it’s not like unicorns and stuff. I don’t think any teen books are like that.

She could always read the original Grimm’s but those can get pretty gruesome; they’re hardly the fairytales portrayed in Disney movies.

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old May 18th, 2007, 9:24 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
I'm writing a series of short stories for my little sister who, being a princess herself, will only independently read stories with princesses, prince charmings, and unicorns and the like. Really, it almost makes me sick, all these mushy, fantasy, romance themes with fairies and rainbows and whatnot.

If she likes them, I'd see if they were publish-worthy, since the whole reason I've got to write the junk is that we've been having a hard time finding young adult books with these horrible princess-in-pink themes.
You sound truly sickened by the whole thing!

She sounds like my kind of kid - I'm 24 and I still love all that mushy stuff! *watches street cred flying out of the window*

Seriously though, I can't think of any series of stories with that kind of theme. Does it specifically have to include princesses? When I was younger - I used to love reading the Faraway Tree series by Enid Blyton. It wasn't princesses - but it was definitely fantasy and had a fairy in it! Just a thought.

As for personally writing that kind of thing - I wish you luck! It's hard to write a decent children's story!

Old May 18th, 2007, 8:57 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron View Post
Welcome to the fifth instalment of this thread!

For reference: version four

last posts of the previous version:    

Please go on!
Thanks for the link-back. I can't remember half the stuff I said!

This probably includes the following question: How much feedback do you guys get on your writing? I ask because as I'm working on the new material, I worry that I haven't heard anything about what I've already written.

If this is more than the first time I've asked this one, I'll find another question to ask later on in life...

Old May 18th, 2007, 9:17 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissPadfoot View Post
You sound truly sickened by the whole thing!

She sounds like my kind of kid - I'm 24 and I still love all that mushy stuff! *watches street cred flying out of the window*

Seriously though, I can't think of any series of stories with that kind of theme. Does it specifically have to include princesses? When I was younger - I used to love reading the Faraway Tree series by Enid Blyton. It wasn't princesses - but it was definitely fantasy and had a fairy in it! Just a thought.

As for personally writing that kind of thing - I wish you luck! It's hard to write a decent children's story!
LOL, thank you for recognizing my odd sense of Internet humor, such things as frilly pink gowns and fluffy white clouds with rays of sunshine do indeed bring me feelings of deep irritation. But don't worry, I still think you're hardcore

And yes, the story MUST involve a princess (in pink, white, or yellow). I was given further direction last night; the princess must now overcome oppression (of the evil stepmother variety), and her journey must now end in absolute, wonderful harmony (I'm assuming with a joyous gathering of twittering birds and a shining, gold tiara).

But I am really ever so grateful that you've given me the name of a book that I don't think she's read yet. I'll definitely go and check the book out from the library for her. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMcGirt View Post
This probably includes the following question: How much feedback do you guys get on your writing? I ask because as I'm working on the new material, I worry that I haven't heard anything about what I've already written.
From whom have you requested feedback about your past works?

Last edited by YellowPoofBall; May 18th, 2007 at 9:20 pm.
Old May 18th, 2007, 9:22 pm
Sixth Year

Not yet, but I just started a great idea for a kids adventure book. I've started outlining the plot of the series and we'll see where it goes.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old May 18th, 2007, 9:32 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
LOL, thank you for recognizing my odd sense of Internet humor, such things as frilly pink gowns and fluffy white clouds with rays of sunshine do indeed bring me feelings of deep irritation. But don't worry, I still think you're hardcore
I laughed SO hard when I read that!

Quote:
And yes, the story MUST involve a princess (in pink, white, or yellow). I was given further direction last night; the princess must now overcome oppression (of the evil stepmother variety), and her journey must now end in absolute, wonderful harmony (I'm assuming with a joyous gathering of twittering birds and a shining, gold tiara).
If she is so clear on details - can she not write it herself? Btw - loving your sense of humour - and when you finish this story - I'd love to have a look!

Quote:
But I am really ever so grateful that you've given me the name of a book that I don't think she's read yet. I'll definitely go and check the book out from the library for her. Thanks!
There are a few of them - though I am having the hardest time remembering the full titles! Anyways they are really cool books - there are different lands at the top of the faraway tree every few days and the kids go on adventures there! I'm such a child!

Old May 18th, 2007, 10:08 pm
First Year

I would love to write a book, but right now I haven't the time to sit down and think of an idea, I'm having a hard enough time finding the time to work on my fanfic, let alone think of an idea of a book! I started to write one when I was younger (which was rubbish) about the beginning of Dragons, or something along those lines, maybe one day, I'm not even studying liture, I'm studying Science! Maybe I'll wait a few years and then when I've got enough experience (in life, I mean I'm only 18 after all... ) I'll write something....

Proud member of the Insane Beki Posse!Club Nick!And Captain of the S.S Switzerland Cookie and the Cookie Monster! Read Always Remember What You Can't Forget and A Mild Shade of Perfection by beki14 to understand!(also read the feedback, I wish you good fortune finding what you are looking for...)

Please feel free to read my fanfic A Werewolf's First Love (A Marauders Tale) and leave feedback here!
See my homepage!
The Time Turner a great RP site. Please make sure that if you want to be a canon character that you check it isn't already taken thank you!
Old May 25th, 2007, 6:02 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall
You need to get your hands on a copy of Melisande by E. Nesbit. It's about a princess who was cursed by an evil fairy at birth but ... well, let's just say that within the first page or two I had the weirdest feeling that it was J. K. Rowling writing under a pseudonym. It isn't, it was published about fifty years before she was even born, but Jo is so E. Nesbit's literary incarnation. She admits it too:

Quote:
Lydon: We're very privileged to have you here. I just want to ask you just some questions - ah - in what time we have left about, sort of, who formed you as a writer? People compare you to the Greats, I mean Jane Austen and Dickens, but also in our own century P.L. Travers, Roald Dahl, E. Nesbit, what did you read as a child, growing up ... and what is the sort of pantheon in which you - sort of find yourself?

JKR: Of the - of the three writers you just mentioned there, E. Nesbit is the one I - I'm most flattered to be compared to. Erm - I loved, and I still love her books, I really love her books. I'd - I recently read - I'd never read them before as a child - I read her fairy tales and I - it was just - I - I just loved them, and they are - they're very clo- ... in many ways I think they are close to what I do because there's a lot of sort of modern detail in among those fairy tales; you have princes advertising themselves for - for adventures, eligible princes and stuff, and it's a kind of a - it's quirky twist always on the more traditional form, and I think, you know, there's elements of that in what I do.

link

I met J. K. Rowling!

She said you should read my fanfics:
Sirius Black and the Drapery of DoomThe Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)
Regulus Kills Again (One-shot)Lily Evans and the Golden Lyre

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding
Old May 25th, 2007, 7:38 pm
Registered Animagus

I'm having a neural implosion I've got so many ideas! The book series of the moment is undergoing major reworking and additions, and I've got two spinoffs/continuations for that, and another two ideas on the side. Good lord, how do people find the time to get all these ideas down!?

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old May 25th, 2007, 7:47 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Shame I abandoned my first novel. It sounds like it would be right up your sister's alley. It was about a princess who lived in this beautiful land in a beautiful palace with gardens. Then she got sold into indentured servitude and had to escape to become queen of her land. Though, the fact that she became a queen and that the story was technically a piece of Star Wars fan fiction might disqualify it (plus, it was horribly written!).

Old May 25th, 2007, 8:03 pm
First Year

I'd love to write a story of my own, it's just getting the time to sit down and sort out all the details and write a basic walkthrough of the plot.

I end up gathering things that inspire me like pictures and bits of notepad paper that i've randomly written on and keep them all in a folder so that i can hopefully some day sift through them and make a story out of them.

At the moment i have basic outlines of characters in my mind but no plot, and that's the most frustrating thing about it. I don't really want to start getting into writing the story when i don't know what i'm writing towards (even though i've kind of wrote the first page and a bit as a rough outline of what i have in mind)

I'm like many i suppose where i've been inspired by the success of Harry Potter and want to have a go at writing for a living or even just for a hobby. The only things i write at the moment are fanfics and some random snippets of my own creations. (None of which have been competed, due to lack of planning and inspiration and perhaps motivation aswell)

But at the same time i feel that writing something like a novel isn't really worth it since there isn't a very good chance it would lead to anything. why write it when it's not likely to get taken seriously and published?

In anycase i will continue writing in my spare time because it's fun

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner