Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Music That Changed Your Life

Old March 6th, 2010, 12:21 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Music That Changed Your Life

I thought it might be interesting to have a thread about songs/albums that have had a massive impact on people. These aren't necessarily your favourite songs/albums, for which there are threads elsewhere (although some of mine are also my favourites), but ones which touched or changed your life in some big way, e.g.:

- they first got you interested in music
- they first introduced you to a genre which went on to become important to you
- they had a really extreme effect on you the first time you heard them
- you inextricably associate them with an important moment in your life
- they helped get you through a difficult time in your life

But those are just suggestions - they might be important to you for other reasons.

Mine are probably:

1. The song Planet Earth by Duran Duran
Released: 1981 I first heard: 1981

This wasn't actually the first pop music I ever liked/bought - prior to this, I'd been listening to my sister's Police records, had had a short-lived but acute obsession with Adam Ant and I got into Julian Cope, whom I liked even more, about the same time I got into Duran. However, I still, to this day, remember the massive initial impact this song had on me.

I don't think anyone under the age of 35 can really understand what it was like hearing synth-pop for the first time in the early 80s. There had just been nothing like it ever before - it was so new and modern and just seemed like a total break with the generations that had come before us. The cold, harsh futurist pure synths sound of artists like Gary Numan had always left me cold, but this was different - the use of synths to create a softer, more human, more romantic sound and marrying it with the more traditional guitar-band format. To this day, I still get a chill down my spine when I hear the opening bars, even though objectively I know it's not a great song.

2. The album Untitled/Four Symbols/Led Zeppelin IV by Led Zeppelin

Released: 1971 I first heard: 1982? 1983?

My sister was really into prog rock/hard rock when I was a teenager. I didn't get it at all, until she played me this album, which converted me.

3. The album The Wrong People by Furniture
Released: 1986, rereleased 2010 I first heard: 1986

Accidentally heard in concert on BBC Radio 1 when I was expecting a totally different band all together, one of the few bands I've loved so much on first hearing I had to go out and get the album immediately (although, actually, I was cheap enough to let my friend buy it, who had also fallen for it on first hearing, and just borrowed it - so it also brings back the memories of being a skint student, left home for the first time, at time struggling with independence, responsibility and making my own choices). There's something about their genre-busting eclecticism, boisterous enthusiasm and passion and their in-your-face, do-it-yourself, punk-influenced attitude that makes anyone listening to it want to be a musician too. Still my favourite band.

4. The album Secrets of the Beehive by David Sylvian
Released: 1987 I first heard: 1995

I'd quite liked Japan and Sylvian's first solo album as a teenager, but had lost track of him after about 1985. A friend played this bleak, heartbreaking, sorrowful album with its loose theme of depression and other mental illness to me when I was going through a really dark period of depression myself and this album literally saved my life. I've been obsessed with the guy ever since.

5. The album Sweet England by Jim Moray
Released: 2003 I first heard: 2007

Included because it's another album I had to go straight out and buy after hearing only once and because it's the album that converted me to the folk genre and made me realise that "folk" doesn't have to mean a middle-aged man with a beard singing through his nose.

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2010, 1:59 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Music That Changed Your Life

Ah how I love your music topics, Melaszka

They first got you interested in music
When I was about 9 years old my aunt came back from the UK and brought with her a bunch of CDs. She gave to me, Showbiz by Muse, Mechanical Animals by Marilyn Manson, and Placebo's debut self-titled album. All three have had a huge impact on my musical development. The whole reason I decided to learn to play guitar was so I could play along to Manson and Placebo songs (which I still do, over 10 years later). Muse was the main band I listened to when I was younger, but for the better part of my teen years Placebo and Marilyn Manson were two of my aboslute favourite bands and I've listened to all their albums probably hundreds of times.

They first introduced you to a genre which went on to become important to you
Sort of same as above really. Most of the music I listen to is pretty depressing which I think has kind of stemmed from what I listened to in the early days. Even now listening to Placebo depresses me to no end, but I love it so. Manson put me onto more pure gothic and industrial acts who have become favourites (Rammstein, Deathstars, Combichrist, Nine Inch Nails) and two of my favourite genres overall.

ETA: Placebo also got me onto David Bowie (he was a huge fan of theirs and helped them a lot in the early days) who kinda got me interested in that kind of glam rock.

They had a really extreme effect on you the first time you heard them
Hmm that's tricky. I think Radiohead really blew me away when I first listened to Kid A. That was the first really alternative rock I'd heard and it gave me a fresh perspective on music.

You inextricably associate them with an important moment in your life
Oh man, I wish I had a nice happy answer for this! I usually listen to my favourite music when I'm in a bad mood so most of the connections I can think of off the top of my head are unhappy memories The only real exceptions is when I hear a song and remember back to when I saw it performed live (if it was memorable enough). Oh and some friends and I entered an 'air band' competition once performing Fight Song by Marilyn Manson. That always brings back fond memories.
But no song I can think of reminds me of an important moment.

They helped get you through a difficult time in your life
Ah that's easy. While, as mentioned above, Placebo songs are extremely depressing (IMO at least) I do find that they help me feel better when I'm down about something. There's always one I can find that I can relate to in some way. I'm not sure that entirely answers the question, but that's the closest I've got

I'd agree with your inclusion of Led Zeppelin. I remember the first time I heard them the guitars just amazed me so much. I instnatly sat down and taught myself Stairway to Heaven by listening to it over and over and over drove my family insane. Then of course we have them to thank for all the prog rock they influenced.

Last edited by Hysteria; March 9th, 2010 at 2:04 pm.
Old July 7th, 2010, 6:27 am
First Year

There's one band that can answer all of those questions, and that's Green Day. I discovered American Idiot on November 11, 2005, during a really weird and rough time in my life [at least in comparison to what it could've been], and all of a sudden just out of one CD came everything I was looking for. Passion, anger, love, pain...disregard for the status quo, for rules and standards. Before I started listening to Green Day, I just sort of went with the crowd--bought name brands because other people had them, styled my handwriting to make it look "normal", stuff like that. But after AI, I learned about the Jesus of Suburbia, Whatsername, St. Jimmy...and, yes, not all of it worked out for them. But the idea they presented, the idea of being yourself and not giving a **** what others thought...that was what struck me. After that I discovered who I was and embraced it. I started forming views that I never would have even considered without Green Day. Then I started listening to more of them, bought every CD, and did the crazy obsessive research demanded by such an addiction. I learned about the band's background, their influences...and I discovered punk rock. Punk makes so much more sense to me than anything in the world--I can't even describe it. The anarchy. The individuality [for those who actually understand it]. The...the screaming guitars, creating passion around three chords, the singer twisting round the stage, falling into the pit, getting held up by the crowd. There's such a beauty in it for me...

And what Green Day also did for me, when reading about their influences...they got me into the Beatles, and I'm not even going to try to say what THAT did for me, but both of these bands are now permanently linked into my life, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

"You'll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort.
"I can help you there."

Old July 15th, 2010, 8:55 am
Third Year

I know it sounds stupid, but Avril Lavigne is really important to me. I first listened to her in 7th grade, I think, and her music made me reevaluate so much. It inspired me to break away from the crowd, to be myself and not care what people said about it. I might've taken that to the extreme at first, but the lessons I learned from her music have become core elements of who I am. She also broadened my taste and introduced me to rock and alternative - that's got me listening to so many other artists and bands that have also had huge impacts on me.

Flyleaf is another big one - I'm not religious at all, and I've never been faith filled or optimistic, but their music is just so inspiring, I can't help but think positively after I listen to them.

Bjork has had a huge influence as well. Her music is so original and creative, it's made me look at music with a whole new perspective and taught me to appreciate the unconventional.

Old May 28th, 2012, 1:53 am
First Year

I think the music that changed my life would have to be Owl City. I was getting withdrawn, never talking to anyone, being really rude, but then I remembered a song I heard on the radio, and decided to see what other songs the artist made. I heard Rainbow Veins, and my life turned around completely.

Old June 7th, 2012, 8:29 pm
First Year

- they first got you interested in music
My Chemical Romance

- they first introduced you to a genre which went on to become important to you
Katy Perry. I went through an obnoxious phase where I'd only listen to rock and alternative, but Katy got me back into pop in a major way.

- they had a really extreme effect on you the first time you heard them
Again, MCR

- you inextricably associate them with an important moment in your life
Lady Gaga

- they helped get you through a difficult time in your life
The Used

Old April 27th, 2013, 12:04 am
Sixth Year

Haendel's Messiah: Had it not been for that Messiah project 7 years ago, I wouldn't have realized that I love singing (and I'm not too bad at it); I wouldn't have joined a great choir that has helped me to keep streess, disappointments and other problems at bay, and where I've met wonderful people and made some of my best friends.

Bach's Suites for cello solo: Years and years of studying with this music in my mp3 have made it my favourite music when I need to concentrate.

I'm a Rock, by Simon & Garfunkel: There was a time in which I felt very identified with this song.

Nothing Else Matters (Apocalyptica version): Apart of being beautiful, this song made me get some interest for heavy, and eventually discover that it is actually very well written music, though I can't listen to it for very long.

Singin' in the Rain, by Gene Kelly: As I have a Bach mood, I have a Rain-singing mood. You know, when you're in love, and humming, and almost floating...

Old July 17th, 2013, 11:09 pm
Fifth Year

I think the one song that really changed my life and helped me through a really rough patch was When You Believe from Prince of Egypt, particularly the lyrics:

Quote:
Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill.
It made me realise that sometimes the only thing you really have to keep going is faith, and not necessarily religious type of faith either. Just faith that things have gotten better before, and will again.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old August 8th, 2014, 4:12 am
First Year

This thread is really old and probably no one will see my response, but I don't care because I like this question.

So honestly, wizard rock changed my life. It made me feel really a part of the fandom, which has been important to me since I was such a later-comer. I was still reading the series when Deathly Hallows came out and I didn't get involved in the fandom until 2009, which I think was when the next movie came out at midnight. Anyway, wreck makes me feel like I'm part of a community; even if that community sometimes feels like it's dying a slow death, it doesn't feel that way when I listen to Harry and the Potters or The Whomping Willows. And wizard rock just makes me feel so happy; it reminds me of the thing I love most in the world (Harry Potter) and it's just so positive.

Like I said, I showed up late to the Harry Potter fandom and therefore also to this forum, so you'll probably see this story of mine repeated a few times. A lot of people have comes to terms with the fact that Potter is over, but I'm not there yet and I don't think that will ever be the case for me. So yeah, I guess I just need to talk about it sometimes, ya know?

Old February 28th, 2015, 7:52 pm
Third Year

I don't know about changed my life so much. But there are certainly specific songs and or artists as a whole that have helped me through some really tough times in my life. Example: I don't think I could have made it through the night last year when I had to help my first service dog cross over, not without P!nks live concert that I had previously recorded on my DVR. I was out of my mind in grief. Music definitely soothes the soul. *cheers* to you P!nk.

Old July 4th, 2015, 5:58 am
Second Year

- they first got you interested in music: I've always been really interested in music, ever since I was little my dad would always have The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Simon and Grafunkel and The Beach Boys on. The first album I ever bought myself was Hilary Duff (cringes :P ) so probably her lol.
- they first introduced you to a genre which went on to become important to you: Amanda Palmer and Jason Webley. Until I heard them, I mainly listened to pop and the top 40 sort of music, which I still do, but they really introduced me to more variety, to more alternative music as well.
- they had a really extreme effect on you the first time you heard them: Many. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Regina Spektor, Tegan and Sara (especially the album 'Up From The Ground'), Sia, Arctic Monkeys, Bright Eyes ('Amy In The White Coat' has an effect on me no other song has), Snow Patrol, Lana Del Rey, Jason Webley.
- you inextricably associate them with an important moment in your life: Tegan and Sara. Also, Taylor Swift: there was a time when I was really depressed and her music just cheers me up completely. Same with Britney Spears, her music just lifts my mood
- they helped get you through a difficult time in your life: Pink Floyd. Again, Tegan and Sara, Taylor Swift, Britney Spears. Also My Chemical Romance, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, James Blunt.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)