Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: Character Analysis

Old March 30th, 2013, 8:06 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
But she didn't do anything in OotP and HBP. Cut her from both those books and all you lose is Harry's dilemma and desire for her in HBP.
Not really, you cut her from these and you lose Harry's normalcy, happiness, best source of comfor and most especially his future.

Quote:
Cut Luna, though, and you lose a whole new viewpoint to Harry's world - plus an unexpected source of comfort and understanding for Harry, leading to his appreciation of who his real friends are, despite their not being "cool"; plus the whole Theastral story arch, which ends in Luna basically providing the transport to the battlefield at the end of OotP through her unique position in the books (as the "other" side of things).
Luna is not Harry's source of comfort, Ginny is. Thestral was not a story arc and she doesn't have a unique position other than to show interhouse connection which IMO was shown nicely thru the whole DA.

Quote:
Cut Neville, and you lose a whole facet to the prophecy story, Harry's understanding of his role, the crucial importnace of choices over pre-destination, and Voldemort's personality.
Neville has nothing to do with the prophecy because Voldemort didn't choose him other than he was also born at the end July.

Quote:
Ginny does nothing comparable to these, literarily, apart from providing the protagonist with a love life.
Read Chamber of Secrets, she was integral on the first and only Horcrux that Harry destroyed. I find it amusing how people belittle Ginny's importance in the series and to Harry. She provided Harry happiness, normalcy, and future. It is no coincidence that Ginny was the only one Harry thought about when he was facing his death...love is a major theme of the series and yes I think that because of her that Harry came back from death.

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2013, 1:34 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Guys, please can you label your opinions as such?

Old January 31st, 2014, 4:09 pm
Seventh Year

I would like to bring up who I think was the most underrated character in the entire series - Ginny Weasley Potter.

I see Ginny as a "breath of fresh air", so to speak. We never had to read "that's not fair!" "dang I've been traumatized and still keep hurting" speeches from her. She had to even remind Harry about the time she interacted with Tom Riddle's diary, became possessed, and almost died.

She never whined about not getting the guy she favored - she dated other guys instead (and not to make Harry feel jealous). She didn't complain about being too young for the Yule Ball - she got herself a date. She didn't burst into tears when she and Harry discussed his leaving to find horcruxes. She only briefly complained when told she couldn't fight in the final battle, and then went ahead and fought anyway. Even though he couldn't remember Ron's last name, Slughorn remembered Ginny after one brief meeting and knew she was someone who would be going places and invited her to join the Slugclub. He was right - she got the guy in the end, got a Quiddich career, got to write about Quiddich for Daily Prophet when she stepped down to have kids, and had three kids. I suspect Slughorn turned to her for his Quiddich tickets once Gwenog Jones stopped later (perhaps due to old age). Oh, and she had a great sense of humor at times. Telling people Ron had a Pygmy Puff tattoo was hilarious, i thought.

I think her biggest fault was her temper. If she didn't like you, you probably knew it. She called Fleur "phlegm" behind her back, and she was noted for her Bat Bogey hex.

All my own opinion.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old February 5th, 2014, 5:34 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I would like to bring up who I think was the most underrated character in the entire series - Ginny Weasley Potter.

I see Ginny as a "breath of fresh air", so to speak. We never had to read "that's not fair!" "dang I've been traumatized and still keep hurting" speeches from her. She had to even remind Harry about the time she interacted with Tom Riddle's diary, became possessed, and almost died.

She never whined about not getting the guy she favored - she dated other guys instead (and not to make Harry feel jealous). She didn't complain about being too young for the Yule Ball - she got herself a date. She didn't burst into tears when she and Harry discussed his leaving to find horcruxes. She only briefly complained when told she couldn't fight in the final battle, and then went ahead and fought anyway. Even though he couldn't remember Ron's last name, Slughorn remembered Ginny after one brief meeting and knew she was someone who would be going places and invited her to join the Slugclub. He was right - she got the guy in the end, got a Quiddich career, got to write about Quiddich for Daily Prophet when she stepped down to have kids, and had three kids. I suspect Slughorn turned to her for his Quiddich tickets once Gwenog Jones stopped later (perhaps due to old age). Oh, and she had a great sense of humor at times. Telling people Ron had a Pygmy Puff tattoo was hilarious, i thought.

I think her biggest fault was her temper. If she didn't like you, you probably knew it. She called Fleur "phlegm" behind her back, and she was noted for her Bat Bogey hex.

All my own opinion.
Fantastic post. I would only add that Ginny not only found herself a date for the Yule Ball, she honored that commitment after being offered the chance to go to the ball with Harry. She could have broken her date with Neville - and even justified doing so because Harry was required to have a partner for the champions dance and Neville wasn't. Neville probably wouldn't have even minded all that much since Ginny was his second choice anyway, but Ginny didn't even hesitate to say no when Ron mentioned it. She had an opportunity to go to the ball with the boy she'd had a crush on for years and she didn't take it because she had already made a promise to Neville. I think that speaks volumes about what kind of person Ginny was.

And Slughorn couldn't remember Ron's first name either.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old February 5th, 2014, 9:18 pm
I want to believe

Ginny is one of those characters I wish we'd seen more of. It's true we do get a sense of what she's like. We can easily see that she has a strong personality, and I agree with MerryLore that is probably one of the strongest characters in the series in terms of being able to handle adversity. It is nice that she was able to wait for Harry to come around to seeing her as a compatible romantic partner, that she wasn't so desperate to have him that she would do things like date other people to make him jealous.

That's not to say I think she's without flaws, because no character is. Her temper was a flaw IMO, and sometimes she was hard on Ron (though siblings do have a tendency to quarrel and be mean to one another at times).

To be honest though, I never really saw any overt chemistry between Ginny and Harry mainly because IMO they didn't really interact that much (especially as compared with Harry and Hermione, Ron, Neville, and even people like Dean and Seamus). That's my one thing with Ginny: while we do get an idea of her personality, she really isn't there on page as much as many of the other characters. I feel like Harry's eventual partner would have been on page a bit more than she is. But oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
I would only add that Ginny not only found herself a date for the Yule Ball, she honored that commitment after being offered the chance to go to the ball with Harry.
I'd forgotten about that. I agree, that was admirable.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies