Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Rubeus Hagrid: Character Analysis

Old June 22nd, 2013, 9:57 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Rubeus Hagrid: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Another problem with Hagrid's statement is that he does not give it a time limit. Instead, he makes it sound as if he is referring to witches and wizards throughout the history of Wizarding Britain.

Pottermore information, however, indicates that historically there is a roughly even distribution of Dark witches and wizards from Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Hufflepuff historically has the fewest Dark witches and wizards, but it does not have zero.

In other words, a majority of Dark witches and wizards are historically from Houses other than Slytherin. Slytherin does seem to be over-represented among the Death Eaters, but it is not over-represented historically.

So the question is: where did Hagrid get this idea? Is he taking his personal issues into this discussion and blaming the entire House for what Riddle did to him? Or is this perhaps a typical Gryffindor prejudice against Slytherin?

Whatever its origins, Harid's statement - whether he is fully conscious of it or not - is false.
I agree, Hagrid is hardly an authority on Dark Wizards imo, and he may be drawing on personal experience all be it unconsciously.

Last edited by TreacleTartlet; June 22nd, 2013 at 10:57 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:23 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
That may be your opinion, but it's not mine. And actually he is right, Sirius was never a DeathEater, and Peter is dead as far as Hagrid knows.
Quote:
“Better Hufflepuff than Slytherin,” said Hagrid darkly. “There’s not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn’t in Slytherin. You-Know-Who was one.”
(PS, Ch 5 "Diagon Alley")

I would think that Hagrid would consider the person who betrayed James and Lily to Voldemort and who killed all those muggles and Peter (and I am referring to Sirius) as someone "who went bad." I don't think it turning out to be Peter would make much of a difference. Both Sirius and Peter were in Gryffindor. I think someone can "go bad" but not necessarily be a Death Eater.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old June 23rd, 2013, 3:20 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post

I would think that Hagrid would consider the person who betrayed James and Lily to Voldemort and who killed all those muggles and Peter (and I am referring to Sirius) as someone "who went bad." I don't think it turning out to be Peter would make much of a difference. Both Sirius and Peter were in Gryffindor. I think someone can "go bad" but not necessarily be a Death Eater.
Neither Sirius nor Peter were in Gryffindor when they supposedly went bad. They were done with school.

I got the feeling that Hagrid was talking about wizards who went bad while actually in Slytherin and attending Hogwarts. I think that as far as Hagrid knew, it was a true statement, though I do not think it was actually truly universally true. It seems likely to me that over the course of history, and sometimes secretly, students in any House could have been doing bad things. I think Hagrid's statement was hyperbole.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:56 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMotherCrow View Post
Neither Sirius nor Peter were in Gryffindor when they supposedly went bad. They were done with school.

I got the feeling that Hagrid was talking about wizards who went bad while actually in Slytherin and attending Hogwarts..
I guess I don't see it that way from the context. IMO, Hagrid isn't a good judge of potential danger and tends to overlook things. He was in Gryffindor, he had problems with Slytherins (namely Voldemort) and tended to lump them all together. He also called Hufflepuffs "duffers" which is also very general. My guess is there are "duffers" in every house, although perhaps most "duffers" are Hufflepuffs. Hagrid also has good relationships with many dangerous creatures and seems to lump them all into a "misunderstood" category, rather than seeing the genuine threat to others. He assumes that, since he gets along with Aragog, Aragog will also like Harry.

I also see the comment about Slytherin, along with Harry's encounter with Draco, as meant to be the reason Harry doesn't want Slytherin when he's sorted, and necessary to the plot.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old June 23rd, 2013, 4:31 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Hagrid didn't necessarily call all Hufflepuffs "duffers." He said "everyone says Hufflepuff are a lot o' duffers, but--"

He's making a statement about how most people see Hufflepuff. Plus, the "but" does suggest that if he weren't interrupted, he'd go on to say the opposite, or something like, "but only some/not all/just a few/none are duffers."
Now, he does make yet another generalization, that being that "everyone" thinks Hufflepuffs are useless, which isn't true either-- himself being a key example if he really was about to defend them.

I see Hagrid's statement about Slytherin House as heavily exaggerated. He is very particular about how he words it: "not a single" bad wizard wasn't in Slytherin. That wording strikes me as very adamant, even if the statement itself is erroneous. I think his personal history with Tom does indeed contribute to Hagrid's view of Slytherin, along with the fact that Hagrid has been around Hogwarts pretty much ever since the rise of the DEs (a single group of Dark wizards, but not comprising all Dark wizards), many of whom-- but not all-- were Slytherins. Combine the two, and any example of a Slytherin who became a DE would serve to "prove" the impression Hagrid got of Slytherins from Tom.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me

Last edited by ignisia; June 23rd, 2013 at 4:35 pm. Reason: I forgotted that the DEs weren't the only evil peeps
Old June 23rd, 2013, 5:04 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Hagrid didn't necessarily call all Hufflepuffs "duffers." He said "everyone says Hufflepuff are a lot o' duffers, but--"

He's making a statement about how most people see Hufflepuff. Plus, the "but" does suggest that if he weren't interrupted, he'd go on to say the opposite, or something like, "but only some/not all/just a few/none are duffers."
I disagree, from looking at the entire context.

Quote:
“And what are Slytherin and Hufflepuff?”
“School houses. There’s four. Everyone says Hufflepuff are a lot o’ duffers, but —”
“I bet I’m in Hufflepuff,” said Harry gloomily.
“Better Hufflepuff than Slytherin,” said Hagrid darkly. “There’s not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn’t in Slytherin. You-Know-Who was one.”

Harry asked about Hufflepuff and Slytherin. I think, by combining his comments, what Hagrid was going to say was:

"School houses. There’s four. Everyone says Hufflepuff are a lot o’ duffers, but better Hufflepuff than Slytherin. There’s not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn’t in Slytherin."

I don't think he was defending Hufflepuff any more than he was Slytherin. I don't think he was going to continue to say, 'And look how wrong they are about Slytherin!"

And I will say, Always.
- source unknown

Last edited by MerryLore; June 23rd, 2013 at 5:22 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies