Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

So many ideas, so little time

Old March 3rd, 2013, 3:53 am
First Year

So many ideas, so little time

I've begun writing four different novels, and I have ten more planned -ten!
I'm very far in one, halfway through another, and in the beginnings of others. I can't help myself...I just have to write them all!
See, I write depending on my mood...(ex. if in one book the character is depressed and I'm having a bad day, I'll work on that book.)
The more I do this, the more I realize that if I continue doing this, I may not finish a single novel for a very long time...and I really would like to finish one by summer and begin searching for agents by June/July!!
This also hurts my writing, because I'll forget some of what I wrote and the writing doesn't sound as good...the furthest I've gotten in a book (55k word count so far) needs to be rewritten! Ugh!
Does anyone have tips for keeping my focus on one novel at a time??

Old March 4th, 2013, 3:23 am
Registered Animagus

Re: So many ideas, so little time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmasterofdeathB View Post
I've begun writing four different novels, and I have ten more planned -ten!
I'm very far in one, halfway through another, and in the beginnings of others. I can't help myself...I just have to write them all!
See, I write depending on my mood...(ex. if in one book the character is depressed and I'm having a bad day, I'll work on that book.)
The more I do this, the more I realize that if I continue doing this, I may not finish a single novel for a very long time...and I really would like to finish one by summer and begin searching for agents by June/July!!
This also hurts my writing, because I'll forget some of what I wrote and the writing doesn't sound as good...the furthest I've gotten in a book (55k word count so far) needs to be rewritten! Ugh!
Does anyone have tips for keeping my focus on one novel at a time??
Pick one and stick to it. Take the others off your hard drive and put them into dropbox so you don't even see them.

Believe me, it will take you so long to find an agent, you'll have plenty of time to finish a second book while you wait. Then you have to wait for the agent to sell the book to a publisher which gives you even more time to finish the third book. And since it takes about 12-18 months after that to publish, during which time they will not publish another book, you'll have time to finish the fourth.

ETA: Before you send out any queries, make sure your book is thoroughly checked for errors and formatting and I don't mean just spell-checking.

Last edited by Desraelda; March 4th, 2013 at 3:25 am.
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:13 pm
Third Year

I agree with Desraelda's suggestion.
Pick just one book to work on and don't work on any of the other books until you've either finished the first book or at least finished the first draft of your first book.
I would recommend you work on the book that you've gotten the farthest in. Or else work on the book that appeals to you most.
To help you focus, I would recommend you put away any notes/files you have on your other novels so that they don't distract you from your current goal. Just keep yourself motivated by looking up inspirational quotes/poems (idk but that works for me!).
Good luck with your novels!

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:02 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Put more simply by Neil Gaiman: "Write. Finish things. Keep writing."

Repeated with varying degrees of un-family friendliness (you have been warned) here.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 3rd, 2013, 3:35 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Put more simply by Neil Gaiman: "Write. Finish things. Keep writing."

Repeated with varying degrees of un-family friendliness (you have been warned) here.
Words to live by. I like that photo. Writers write. So true. We can't help ourselves.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner