Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Eurovision 2012

View Poll Results: Which are your favourite entries for Eurovision 2012?
Albania 0 0%
Austria 0 0%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Belarus 0 0%
Belgium 0 0%
Bosnia and Herzegovina 0 0%
Bulgaria 0 0%
Croatia 0 0%
Cyprus 1 20.00%
Denmark 0 0%
Estonia 1 20.00%
FYR Macedonia 0 0%
Finland 0 0%
France 0 0%
Georgia 0 0%
Germany 1 20.00%
Greece 0 0%
Hungary 1 20.00%
Iceland 1 20.00%
Ireland 1 20.00%
Israel 1 20.00%
Italy 0 0%
Latvia 0 0%
Lithuania 0 0%
Malta 0 0%
Moldova 0 0%
Montenegro 0 0%
Norway 0 0%
Portugal 0 0%
Romania 0 0%
Russia 1 20.00%
San Marino 0 0%
Serbia 1 20.00%
Slovakia 0 0%
Slovenia 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
Sweden 0 0%
Switzerland 0 0%
The Netherlands 0 0%
Turkey 1 20.00%
Ukraine 0 0%
United Kingdom 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 27th, 2012, 11:47 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Eurovision 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
As for the UK, lol

Why do we even bother?
Because it gives challenging young British artists a shot for exposure on the Continent.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2012, 2:17 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
Englebert did okay - i thought the song was pretty good.

However it's so political these days the UK doesn't stand a chance!

I sat with my 2 daughters aged 18 and 21 and as each country voted we shouted out where their big points were going to go! We were right 90-95% of the time!

My husband came up with the idea that we should just have the voting and abandon the singing - the results are the same!

Either that or we should just not go for the next couple of years - I know we are one of the big 5, but the voting is based on so much more than music at the moment!
I know a lot of people in the UK say that, but I disagree. Apart from anything else, if the voting really were that predictable, the same country would win every year, but that doesn't happen.

Some countries do tend to vote predictably (e.g. the Cyprus/Greece mutual lovefest and a lot of mutual vote-giving between the former Soviet republics and former Yugoslavian countries), but even then it's not always pure politics - those countries will often field a singer who is a current star in the region, with a large fanbase in the neighbouring countries, or choose a song which draws on the region's musical traditions. Similarly, I imagine quite a lot of British people vote for Jedward because (a) they already know them from the X Factor - it's to an extent natural to vote for an act you are already familiar with (b) they perform the kind of bubblegum pop we're used to in this part of the world. But people rarely label that "cheating" or "political voting".

And there are so many countries voting now, it's impossible to win on the strength of "political" votes. "Political" votes might give e.g. Serbia or Russia an unfair 12-36 point advantage, but they wouldn't get anywhere near the top of the leader board without votes from Western countries, as well, and there's normally a far bigger gap than 36 points between the winner and the song that gets 2nd place, so that advantage makes no difference to the placing.

My favourites were Serbia, Cyprus and Greece (and I also liked Macedonia and Hungary). Maybe that reflects my interest in Balkan music, maybe it's just that they were good songs (my friends also liked similar songs to me and those songs tended to get a lot of votes from countries across Europe, not just from their neighbours).

Sweden didn't do it for me, at all, but I recognise it won fair and square - it probably also helped that they'd promoted it well and it's already a club hit in Europe. If voters have been hearing something on the radio for weeks and dancing to it in clubs, they're more likely to vote for it.

Far from being at a disadvantage, I think the UK, with the disproportionate access to world music markets conferred upon us by the fact that we are an Anglophone nation, would be at a huge unfair advantage if we did what many other nations do: (a) entered one of our biggest current stars (Adele? Plan B? Paolo Nutini? I don't know who's big at the moment, I'm too old) (b) promoted it properly.

Old May 27th, 2012, 3:44 pm
Eldest Gruff

I also don't think the votes are that predictable / political in the way that, let's say, a Austrian person always would support Switzerland. Even many former Soviet countries often voting Russia so high isn't imo a 'political' choice - there're just many Russian people still living in these countries and of course those vote for their own native country. In Estonia eg one third of the inhabitants are native Russians.
For the very same reason Turkey always got many votes from Germany over decades. One could of course say historical the backgrounds of that many non-native people living in one country is reason enough to make the voting 'political'. But I also believe in that case we always had winners from the same 4 or 5 countries. Sometimes people simply like different songs. It's maybe even rather a cultural choice - but I very much enjoy this.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old May 27th, 2012, 4:46 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
However it's so political these days the UK doesn't stand a chance!
I never understood this argument. No country would win if voting was solely dependent on neighbourly love. Sweden couldn't have won if only Scandinavian countries had given them 12 points. Germany would certainly not have won two years ago if political voting was a real issue. Yes, some countries always vote for their neighbours. But only a song that can convince the majority of countries will triumph.

The UK never seems to take Eurovision seriously, which is fair enough. It's a ridiculous contest. But complaining that someone like Engelbert Humperdinck doesn't win the love of millions in this day and age seems a bit off. My opinion. You're of course entitled to cheer for Engelbert Humperdinck.

Old May 27th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Another thing I keep hearing from my compatriots is "Well, there must be political voting going on, because, while I never expected Engelbert to win, his song was OK and definitely not the worst there - therefore, if the voting was fair, it would have finished in the middle of the table, not the bottom"

But that's not how voting works - viewers don't rate all 26 songs in rank order, they merely vote for their favourites. Therefore, a controversial song that 95% of viewers think is ear-bleedingly awful but 5% think is fabulous is going to pick up more votes than a song that everyone agrees is perfectly OK, not the worst there, but nothing special. It's precisely the "solid but beige" songs I would expect to end up at the bottom of the table.

Old May 27th, 2012, 6:27 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Albania was very Björk.
I don't like Björk then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
I also don't think the votes are that predictable / political in the way that, let's say, a Austrian person always would support Switzerland. Even many former Soviet countries often voting Russia so high isn't imo a 'political' choice - there're just many Russian people still living in these countries and of course those vote for their own native country. In Estonia eg one third of the inhabitants are native Russians.
For the very same reason Turkey always got many votes from Germany over decades. One could of course say historical the backgrounds of that many non-native people living in one country is reason enough to make the voting 'political'. But I also believe in that case we always had winners from the same 4 or 5 countries. Sometimes people simply like different songs. It's maybe even rather a cultural choice - but I very much enjoy this.
This is IMO the reason why Romania got so many votes. They're singing in Spanish, there are many guest workers in Spain and Italy. Put one and one together and you get a finalist.

I am always surprised about the amount of points Ireland and UK give to each other. The love is almost never mutual. Zero points for the Hump? This year I expected Jedward to do better. First because of the fanbase in GB and Ireland and second because I thought the song was catchy (when you keep your eyes closed and don't watch them). But to be honest their performance in the final wasn't their best, so I guess they deserved it.

The End of the Dream.
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:27 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Because it gives challenging young British artists a shot for exposure on the Continent.
so we sent Englebert Humperdink - at 76 the oldest male?

Old May 28th, 2012, 2:16 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Edgier than a room of dodecahedra.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 28th, 2012, 8:22 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
so we sent Englebert Humperdink - at 76 the oldest male?
Fun Fact: Humperdinck was older than 22 of the countries competing. Countries not participants.

The End of the Dream.
Old May 29th, 2012, 9:35 am
Fourth Year

That's a brilliant fact! Well worth knowing...

Old May 30th, 2012, 3:40 pm
Fourth Year

I think the main problem with the UK is that we don't take it seriously enough and other countries know that. People seem to forget what happened with Jade Ewen. That year she worked tirelessly going around different European countries and promoting her song, and gaining fans around the continent before the competetion, so that they were familiar with the song on the night and they had a connection with her. We can't just expect to rock up each year and hope people will like a song they've never heard, an artist they've likely never heard of, and expect to win.

I get the feeling what Europe would really respond to was us sending a succesful (current) artist who is already in the charts in the countries, so they know we're taking it seriously and it's somebody whose music they already buy. The problem is none of the artists who are currently successful want to "lower" themselves to Eurovision, which is a shame.

There's no doubt geographical voting is always going to happen. Greece/Cyprus, Spain/Portugal etc etc. We're just bitter because we give Ireland high points and they don't return the favour if we got the neighbourly points we'd be fine with it

I liked our entry this year, I thought it was a very sweet song. But it was very different to the winning song, and we went first. It just didn't work for us this year.

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old May 31st, 2012, 2:10 am
Fourth Year

I'm so sad the Russian grandmothers didn't win. They were so cute! Didn't like the Swedish song, but then, I very rarely like any of the songs in ESC. It's just not my kind of music.

And Norway came last in the finale... Again. Apparently, we're the country who's come last in the finale the most. We're also the country that's gotten 0 points most times. I find this a bit embarrassing. I didn't care for our song this year either, it was boring and the dancing didn't help. No idea how he won the Norwegian contest (we have a whole big show with five (I think) equally big semifinals first to determine who will be sent on to ESC), because I never watch anything but the ESC finale, if that. It's quite fun though, if I'm in the mood for it.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:01 pm

I've started a new thread. I'll move recent posts over and close this one. Keep chatting!

Closed Thread
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)