Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Old August 1st, 2009, 7:22 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
She's getting up there in age, but she still looks amazing
She's getting up there in age??? Kate Beckinsale is 36 years old. Christian Bale is 35.

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2009, 7:46 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
She's getting up there in age??? Kate Beckinsale is 36 years old. Christian Bale is 35.
Hmm, I thought she was in her early 40's. Regardless, men tend to look better and/or deteriorate less as they age...not so with women

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; August 1st, 2009 at 8:46 am.
Old August 1st, 2009, 6:56 pm
Sixth Year

I hope there aren't a lot of bad guys, the story would be more diffuse. I don't think they can repeat the Joker's intensity in any case, but I think that the more bad guys, the less interesting they are, because the script can't devote them enough time.

Old August 1st, 2009, 11:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
I hope there aren't a lot of bad guys, the story would be more diffuse. I don't think they can repeat the Joker's intensity in any case, but I think that the more bad guys, the less interesting they are, because the script can't devote them enough time.
I agree. I think the limit should be two like in The Dark Knight. I would say like in Batman Begins too, but Scarecrow wasn't really much of a villain. I'm hoping that we see both Catwoman and the Riddler, though.

Old December 7th, 2010, 12:56 am
Banned

The Dark Knight is no longer a good movie in my eyes. It is below average and a chore to sit through. Suspending disbelief is extremely difficult each time I watch it. What's difficult is being able to swallow that the Joker managed the feats he did without saying the film is contrived and poorly written. The fact that almost everything goes according to his plan, that almost every piece falls perfectly into place, is so far-fetched that the film becomes ridiculous and makes me think it must be a caricature on the idiocy of many comic books. That's not the intention, of course, but the film makes it seem that way. The lack of subtlety in the commentary on the Patriot Act is terrible and always will be. I recall thinking this when I first saw it at the cinema. Rachel is poorly written, as is the case in regards to females in every Nolan-written film, as she exists only to cause emotional pain for Bruce and Harvey. It's a testament to Nolan's writing abilities that the female lead in his version of Insomnia is the best-written female in his filmography; he didn't write the script. The poor female characters trend continues with Inception.

I have noticed that Nolan's films, to me at least, seem to be excellent on the first couple of viewings and then deteriorate in quality with each subsequent viewing, with the exception of Insomnia and The Prestige (I can't say for certain here because I've only seen it twice). If that will happen with Inception is too soon to determine. I will be viewing it tomorrow and if it seems worse in my eyes than it did back when it was released theatrically, I'll know my answer.

Last edited by NumberEight; December 7th, 2010 at 1:02 am.
Old December 15th, 2010, 1:31 am
Banned

TDK is only made more awesome in my eyes by associating the Joker with MacGyver. Nostogia^2 sways my bias. Plus I was happy to see "Sad Turtle" get blown up.

Old December 15th, 2010, 2:26 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeLaPointe View Post
TDK is only made more awesome in my eyes by associating the Joker with MacGyver. Nostogia^2 sways my bias. Plus I was happy to see "Sad Turtle" get blown up.
It's funny. I think I wasted time purchasing Inception as the plot hole I discussed in the relevant thread is bothering me even more after people defend it. I know I said it didn't bother me, but now it is. I think I will eventually come to hate it just like I came to hate TDK.

Old December 27th, 2010, 9:26 am
Banned

The Dark Knight Movie is awesome. I have seen both the parts and now i am waiting for the next part The Dark Knight rises.But their is still much time for its release.

Old December 27th, 2010, 9:05 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
I have noticed that Nolan's films, to me at least, seem to be excellent on the first couple of viewings and then deteriorate in quality with each subsequent viewing
His two Bat-movies certainly do. They are a little too gritty and realistic.

Compared to Tim Burton's Bat-movies, they seem rather dull and mundane.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 4:21 pm
Seventh Year

AH! So frustrated I can't find a Batman Begins thread!

Forgive me for posting this here but it is sort of related.

I recently heard a review of Batman Begins equating the plot of the movie with the biblical story of Sodom and Gomorrah where Gotham is the city full of wickedness, Bruce Wayne is Abraham bargaining with god to save the city so long as there are X number of good people (i.e. faithful people) remaining, and Ra's al Ghul stands in for god. (There are tons of other parallels including Bruce and the blue flower and lots of things Ra's al Ghul says, this is the wham-bam-thank-you-m'am description of the similarities)

I'm wondering if anyone has seen a similar parallel in The Dark Knight? Not necessarily to a biblical story, but to any other well-known story out there. Just curious.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 3:01 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Given that Batman is a Campbellian archetype, I'd say a few.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion