Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Worst movies ever!

Old July 8th, 2012, 3:33 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Worst movies ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Never saw Spaceballs, but I didn't mind Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Found Blazing Saddles to be less funny.
Saddles is one of my all time favourite movies.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2012, 6:40 pm
First Year

Battlefield Earth

Old August 19th, 2012, 8:39 pm
Banned

The sequel to "Village of the Damned", the 1950's B&W version. The movie's so bad that I've forgotten its title. It may have been "Children of the Damned".

Old August 20th, 2012, 5:41 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Never saw Spaceballs, but I didn't mind Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Found Blazing Saddles to be less funny.
Perhaps showing my age (I was a young and impressionable kid when these movies came out) and my less than discerning taste in stupid comedy but I love Spaceballs and Men In Tights! "We're men - Manly men! We're men in tights! YES!" And the verbally dyslexic Sheriff of Rottingham... my symapthies got out to him as I, too, am plagued by a similar condition

Also, my family finds Spaceballs to be an incredibly quotable film; when we're feeling silly on road trips and are at metered on-ramps getting back on the freeways, invariably once we get the green light someone in the car will yell, "Ludacris speed! GO!!!" or whenever sizes of anything comes up one of us will say to the other, "I see your Schwarts is as big as mine!"

Old August 22nd, 2012, 3:29 am
First Year

she wolf in paris , a very old movie that sucked big time!

Old August 22nd, 2012, 4:43 am
Second Year

Robot Monster (1953) is ghastly awful and the 'monster' is pathetic. Costuming must have had a budget of about 50 cents.

Another movie that has the distinction of being the only one I ever fell asleep in the theater while watching is Eyes Wide Shut, memorable for how boring the supposed erotic scenes were, and the total lack of chemistry between the then-married co-stars, Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, both of whom I've liked in other things.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 12:41 am
First Year

Nacho Libre. Dire.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 7:53 am
Banned

Marie-Antoinette (the Sofia Coppola version) - the poor queen must be spinning in her grave.

Old September 4th, 2012, 5:06 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows View Post
Marie-Antoinette (the Sofia Coppola version) - the poor queen must be spinning in her grave.
To me this movie suffered mostly because of Kirsten Dunst being cast as Marie. She didn't have the gravitas to pull off that role and looked too contemporary. (the same criticism I have for Kierra Knightly as Elizabeth Bennet) Also I never really understood the very modern, graphic-pop type marketing it got. I remember the commercials being very confusing; was this a stylized, fantasy movie a la Heath Ledger's A Knight's Tale where it's set in the past but has modern twists on fashion and music or was it a period piece? Watching the movie it comes off as a straight up period piece so I remain confused by its marketing campaign.

Old September 4th, 2012, 7:03 pm
First Year

The Village by M. Night Shyamalan. That movie was absolutely awful in my opinion.

Old September 4th, 2012, 11:13 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows View Post
I actually liked that movie, from what I saw of it...

Green Lantern. *shudder*

Old September 27th, 2012, 5:19 am
Curse Breaker

Green Lantern has a lot of faults (not least of which, in hindsight, is the criminal misuse and underuse of Michael Clarke Duncan's voice talents) but it wasn't in the same failure weight class as, say, Batman & Robin. Captain America was meant to be a retro piece and it suffered from that extended musical interlude in the middle, but I actually thought it was a decent movie.

Kirsten Dunst is a little hit-or-miss. She has talent, and when she shows up she does well, but occasionally, the results are bad (*cough*Spiderman 3*cough*). I think an example of a truly bad movie with her in it is probably Elizabethtown. It runs just over two hours. The DVD I watched felt like four.

More recently, New Year's Eve, and The Killers were tremendous disappointments (the only funny joke in The Killers was a single line about stag antler decor; eesh). What To Expect When You're Expecting was about like New Year's Eve except that Liz Banks' character was more aggressively unsympathetic than Katherine Heigl's character. Ouch.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old September 27th, 2012, 2:20 pm
Zonko's Employee

There was a Woody Harrelson movie called Defendor that is really really hard to watch. The main character is a poor dolt who desperately wants to be a Batman-type protector of the innocent, but he keeps getting his tar whupped, though he actually gives some victims a chance to escape.It has a small sort of cult around it, and I confess I would like to see the end of it (I could not make it through in one sitting), but it's like watching Schindler's List or The Passion of the Christ, in that you have to endure a steady stream of misery after misery. But unlike those two movies, it is not nearly so well made.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old September 29th, 2012, 3:28 pm
First Year

the american

For Phantom has fallen this day!!!!!!!
12-26-14
The Fall of Phantom
Never forget
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:28 am
Third Year

Some of the movies I had to watch in Film Studies were unbearably boring but the one that comes to mind is Shane. It was awful.

Old January 6th, 2013, 5:51 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
Some of the movies I had to watch in Film Studies were unbearably boring but the one that comes to mind is Shane. It was awful.
Modern audiences have a hard time "getting" Shane because we're so far removed from the production code. In fact, I didn't really get it the first time I saw it because I didn't really understand the straitjacket it was bound up in.

On second viewing, though (when I knew a lot more detail about what the production code allowed), I found the film quite creative. It's pushing the family-friendly boundaries about as far as it was allowed to in 1953 under the Hays Code, and so the love triangle is all put into subtext. It's actually one of the most tension-laden films I've ever seen. The interaction between Alan Ladd and Jean Arthur smoulders... precisely because absolutely nothing can happen between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelkinCooper View Post
Robot Monster (1953) is ghastly awful and the 'monster' is pathetic. Costuming must have had a budget of about 50 cents.
I can't begin to tell you how much I love Robot Monster. It's one of the most surrealistic movies I've ever seen, between the weird ape-suit/diving helmet costuming, the bubble machine, and Ro-Man's soliloquies. But then I do have a weakness for the theater of the absurd.

(No, I'm not arguing that it's a great - or even a good - or even a not-that-terrible movie. I'm just saying that I absolutely adore it. We own it on DVD. Thanks for reminding me that we are way overdue for a viewing. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Saddles is one of my all time favourite movies.
It has one of my all-time favorite moments in film... Count Basie.

Hmmm... so what are some new titles I can contribute to this thread?

How about Jess Franco's Jack the Ripper, starring Klaus Kinski? How do you make Jack the Ripper boring? How, for that matter, do you make Klaus Kinski boring? Well, Jess Franco found a way. It's an absolutely appallingly bad film... with terrible story, terrible production values, and terrible acting.

But it's still nowhere near as bad as Al Adamson's Dracula vs. Frankenstein or Ray Dennis Steckler's The Incredibly Strange People Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies - both of which I probably mentioned upthread.

Now those are the dregs of cinema.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; January 6th, 2013 at 6:32 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion