Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Planning Your Novel

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:09 am
Registered Animagus

Re: Planning Your Novel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon View Post
I've been planning my novel for about a year and a half now and only have about 2000 words written on it.

I keep pretty much all of my planning details in my head. I have the first chapter outlined, and then general plot points I want to happen through the course of the novel. My problem right now is characterization and dialogue. I have basic traits and personalities for the main characters, but figuring out exactly how they interact with each other causes me a lot of writer's block.
You need to let your characters tell you who they are. In my first novel, the villain refused to stay the villain and it was much better that way.

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2012, 7:50 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
You need to let your characters tell you who they are. In my first novel, the villain refused to stay the villain and it was much better that way.
I love when they surprise you like that!

I'm a pantser usually, so only a few notes, no outlines. I do however keep a timeline, but that's because I have Book 1, Book 2 almost done, Book 3 nagging me to start that and 2 short stories completed in the series. The timeline helps me know where things happen.

I have another book that is partially done and has a lot more notes. But it takes place over 550 years, so it's more difficult to keep straight.

I adore every part of this process.

Old December 7th, 2012, 3:44 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayla View Post
I love when they surprise you like that!

I'm a pantser usually, so only a few notes, no outlines. I do however keep a timeline, but that's because I have Book 1, Book 2 almost done, Book 3 nagging me to start that and 2 short stories completed in the series. The timeline helps me know where things happen.

I have another book that is partially done and has a lot more notes. But it takes place over 550 years, so it's more difficult to keep straight.

I adore every part of this process.

Yeah, I'm a pantser, too. When I started writing my first novel, I followed the rules and started writing character bios. That lasted about half an hour. The story was just bursting out of my head and I needed to get it down.

Timelines are very helpful. How much of one I keep depends on the length of the novel. I keep character notes at the end of the file.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner