Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe)

Old February 17th, 2012, 10:56 am
Zonko's Employee

Re: The Woman in Black (starring Dan Radcliffe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post

Spoiler: show
The film itself struck me as a little generic: man arrives at a village, is warned by the villagers not to approach that spooky house, but he has business there and doesn't entirely believe in supernatural stuff, so he goes anyway. Might as well be the first scene from Dracula.
Yes ... in the book and the 1989 film, the villagers of Crythin Gifford are guarded and wary and certainly don't want to talk about Eel Marsh House and its history, but in the new film everybody (except nice Sam Daily) is as mad as a box of frogs. However, I do think this classic horror trope works, in the film.

As for 'appeasing' the ghost ... I don't want to spoil the book for you if you haven't read it, but the new film has a different take.

The opening scene was terrific, IMO.

Also agree with you about Dan's performance, which I really liked, and how beautiful the film looks.

Old February 19th, 2012, 9:03 pm
Curse Breaker

I saw the film today; I was unfamiliar with the novel or previous production. I think it's a well made film, nicely shot, and Dan's performance was solid & credible. I loved the actress who portrayed Sam's wife, and think the house itself should have been listed on the credits.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:57 am
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

The twist in this adaption was pure brilliance! This is just my impression, someone else might've come away with a different interpretation.
The children appeared to be trapped by The Woman in Black even after she manipulates their deaths; those spirits where gaunt, grey and in turmoil. In contrast, Arthur's boy in death, looked healthy and calm, and free to go with his father and mother. Although Jennet Humphrey still refused to forgive and mercilessly hunted another innocent child, I wonder if Arthur's empathy and willingness to reunite Jennet with Nathaniel, promoted her release of Joseph in death.

Dan Radcliffe gave a wonderful performance, utterly convincing as Arthur!

I do think Jennet Humphrey's ghost in the 1989 TV adaption was more menacing and chilling, perhaps because they focused more heavily on the lady's acting (facial expressions and sheer presence) with some make-up, as opposed to special effects.

I've read the novel, seen the sensational theatre production, plus the 1989 TV production, however the lights going out step by step down the hall and the stain spreading across the bed where the boy emerged from, still felt like a slight semblance to Ju-on (the Grudge films). So, I won't be surprised to learn if the Hammer productions used some aspects they knew might appeal to the new (younger) generations they are introducing themselves too. There was the typical Hammer Horror fashion to be found, namely the villagers reaction to a new face, plus particular sound effects.

Last edited by Annielogic; February 21st, 2012 at 2:27 pm. Reason: grammar
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:20 pm
First Year

I'll definitely look this up once it comes out on DVD.

Old February 20th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
The twist in this adaption was pure brilliance! This is just my impression, someone else might've come away with a different interpretation.
I've commented below, Annie.

Quote:
The children appeared to be trapped by The Woman in Black even after she manipulates their deaths; those spirits where gaunt, grey and in turmoil. In contrast, Arthur's boy in death, looked healthy and calm, and free to go with his father and mother. Although Jennet Humphrey still refused to forgive and mercilessly hunted another innocent child, I wonder if Arthur's empathy and willingness to reunite Jennet with Nathaniel, promoted her release of Joseph in death.
Yes ... although the ending in the new film is sad, there's a sort of poetic beauty to it. It's more hopeful and far less ghastly than either the book ending (devastating) and the 1989 film (even worse, with Arthur and his family dead and Jennet completely triumphant in her evil purpose).

Quote:
Dan Radcliffe gave a wonderful performance, utterly convincing as Arthur!
I thought so. I don't buy that he was too young for the part. Canon Arthur is in his early 20s: it would be completely normal, in the early 20th century, for a young man that age to be married with a young child.

I like Arthur. He's a very compassionate character, and tries to do the right thing. He even feels empathy for the lonely, tragic, bereaved mother whom Jennet was. He really doesn't deserve what comes upon him! (Especially in the book and the 1989 film.)

Quote:
I do think Jennet Humphrey's ghost in the 1989 TV adaption was more menacing and chilling, perhaps because they focused more heavily on the lady's acting (facial expressions and sheer presence) with some make-up, as opposed to special effects.
I complete agree with this. Pauline Moran was amazing as Jennet. She is scary even when just seen at a distance, a slender figure all in black staring straight at the camera. And the malice in her expression was truly unnerving. I still can't steel myself to watch the scene when she comes flying through the window at Arthur. Holy moly.

The 2012 Jennet worked for me best when we glimpsed her in shadows.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; February 20th, 2012 at 1:54 pm.
Old February 20th, 2012, 1:54 pm
Fourth Year

I can't wait to see it! sadly a couple of my kids are ill at the moment and I keep having to postpone my cinema trip! Given that last week was half term it really is frustrating - we had so many plans and had to cancel all of them..

Old February 26th, 2012, 12:42 am
First Year

Went to see it yesterday, it's pretty good! Radcliffe looks a lot better than he doid in the Harry Potter movies (Better haircut, no weird glasses and just generally better). For some reason I still recognise him from the first HP movie though, it's mostly the way he speaks. I think it's really unique how the ghost kills her victims. It was defenitely thrilling, but I wouldn't say it was scary (Though it was rated '16' in my country, I'm lucky to look way older than I actually am). Some scenes are extremely thrilling, almost to the point where you just want to look away because you can't take the tension any more. There are a lot of scenes that make you jump out of your chair, giving you a little heart attack. The last scene was defenitely unique, and quite beautiful yet implies a terrifying message. All in all, it was a bit creepy, but not the kind of movie that'll turn you into a complete insomniac for weeks. It's well acted, and you will be able to recognise Radcliffe as the little boy from Harry Potter. It defenitely has a good story, and doesn't just focus on the scary part, but also on the emotional, sad part. It's not the kind of movie that is only made to be scary, it has a rather strong story. I really enjoyed it, and I'd reccomend it to anyone who can take a healthy amount of tension.

You say Death Eater as if it's a bad thing!

sorted
Old March 2nd, 2012, 9:16 pm
First Year

I watched it a while ago. I didn't expect it to be any good at all-I was only going to see it because of Daniel Radcliffe. It was surprisingly good, though! A bit cliche in my opinion, but still good nevertheless.

Like canon pairings, especially Harry and Ginny? This is the website for you!

Hufflepuff and Proud Pottermore Sorted!
Old September 25th, 2012, 5:12 pm
Third Year

I really liked this movie when I saw it in the theatres. It was scary and chilling enough to be labeled a scary/horror movie but not so much that I wasn't able to sleep with the lights off (I think it was rated PG-13 which is a fitting rating). I really liked the setting and the visual appeal of the movie too, I thought that was well done. The Jennet character was pretty creepy
but the ending made her seem less menacing even though I guess she still was pretty creepy. Especially when she looked at the viewers in the last shot!
And even though Arthur and his boy died in the end, it wasn't as sad as you'd think. I was almost happy for them because Arthur had been mourning over his wife the whole time and finally they were reunited, even if it was in death.

Overall, a really good movie.

Old September 27th, 2012, 5:25 am
Fifth Year

Thought it was great! I was actually terrified while watching it, which doesn't happen in most horror movies. And the scenery was beautiful!

Old October 14th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Suteki da ne

Is it just me, or did the 1989 version have the guy who played James Potter as the main character?

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old October 14th, 2012, 3:11 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
Is it just me, or did the 1989 version have the guy who played James Potter as the main character?
It's not just you. It actually was the same guy who played James Potter.

AsphodelJinx on Pottermore
Old October 14th, 2012, 3:38 pm
Suteki da ne

Oh good. I thought I was going strange. I remember seeing it a while back. I haven't seen the Dan Radcliffe version yet, but I'm planning to at some point

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old October 14th, 2012, 4:27 pm
Fourth Year

Nope - you're not going strange - it did star Adrian Rawlins.

I did see it - if you have read the book then you need to fotget the story - because they have played about with it so much that it doesn't bear much resemblance to the book...

And having read the book - I HATED the ending...

Old October 14th, 2012, 11:18 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
Nope - you're not going strange - it did star Adrian Rawlins.

I did see it - if you have read the book then you need to fotget the story - because they have played about with it so much that it doesn't bear much resemblance to the book...

And having read the book - I HATED the ending...
Interesting. I've been wanting to read the book ever since I've seen the movie, and was wondering if there was any huge differences. (Besides the ending, I already knew how the book ended before I saw the movie, so I was prepared for something bad to happen)

Did you like the movie? Or were the differences from book to film too hard to look pass?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion