Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Choosing the right End.

Old August 16th, 2012, 7:32 am
First Year

Choosing the right End.

I'm currently working on a novel, and don't plan out the entire story before I write because I'm the type of writer who just goes with the story...the ideas just come to me as I write. I've come up with two different endings to the story, two endings that I absolutely LOVE...but I'm having a terrible time choosing which ending is the right one! Usually I can feel what is right, but that feeling hasn't come to me...yet. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Ideas? Tips?

Old August 16th, 2012, 1:09 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Choosing the right End.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmasterofdeathB View Post
I'm currently working on a novel, and don't plan out the entire story before I write because I'm the type of writer who just goes with the story...the ideas just come to me as I write. I've come up with two different endings to the story, two endings that I absolutely LOVE...but I'm having a terrible time choosing which ending is the right one! Usually I can feel what is right, but that feeling hasn't come to me...yet. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Ideas? Tips?
I've been close to the end without having any idea how I'm going to wrap it all up, but never had to worry about choosing between two. My last one was that way. I was already on the last couple of pages before my fingers tapped out the right ending.

Since you're a pantser (like me), you might just want to start typing and see which way your fingers guide you.

Old September 6th, 2012, 10:01 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Use both. Do two final chapters featuring each ending. Let the reader decide for themselves which ending they prefer.

Old September 6th, 2012, 4:35 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Without knowing more about your story...

Does your novel have a particular theme? Does one ending tie into that theme more than the other one?

Is one ending more of a happy, expected ending and one more of a sad ending but is still satasfying? I'm particularly thinking about the endings to the book and the movie versions of My Sister's Keeper; the book ending is horrible, it's emotional and gut wrenching and so so sad... but it's also approriate and brings the story to a more satasfying ending. The end of the movie is how you thought the story would end all along, it's not exactly happy but it's more of the "hollywood" ending and it leaves you empty and feels predictable (it also left me really disliking the main character).

Perhaps you should find a local writing group to help you troubleshoot your ending, or find yourself an editor (a family member or a friend) who can read what you have written so far (not including your two endings) and can let you know what promises your story has made to them that should be resolved in the story's climax/ending. For instance, one of the promises made in the HP books is that there will be a final show down between Harry and Voldemort; if readers never got that show down we would have felt cheated. Readers were lead to believe that questions we had would be answered and if they weren't answered we would have been angry and frustrated with the books. Find someone that has never read your work and can tell you what promises have been made that need to be fulfilled or answered and then see if one of the two endings better suits or fits into those promises. Or maybe neither really fits and you have to come up with a third option?

Again, without knowing the premise of your novel and what the two endings are I find it hard to advise on how to chose which is the "right" ending because it could be either or it could be neither.

Old September 6th, 2012, 10:20 pm
Third Year

I tend to plan out my novel from start to end so that I know where it's going to go. If I can't think of an ending, I just jot down possible ideas that would make a good ending.
I think you should figure out which ending better wraps up the book or you can try to combine scenes/ideas from both endings, if you really can't choose.

Old September 10th, 2012, 1:52 am
Registered Animagus

Did something totally unprecedented for me. I'm about a quarter of the way through the wip when the ending came to me and I wrote it right then and there. It wasn't the way I originally intended for the story to go, but it works perfectly.

Old September 11th, 2012, 4:27 am
First Year

I have chosen the right ending for my novel...I've thought of My Sister's Keeper a lot while writing, actually! The ending is a bit unexpected, and terribly sad, but mine's not random and it teaches the main character a huge lesson on her life. The ending of My Sister's Keeper was very shocking to me but I loved it all the same. I feel that it's one of those endings where you'd just sit there and think back about the novel and be like, "Oh! That makes sense!" I wouldn't say that my story is predictable...at all. It's just not one of those random endings that you would be angry about (this has happened to me while reading novels before!)

I actually did the same thing! Haha, I'm about 1/4 done with the novel and I have this whole scenario planned out for the ending. I just play this scene in my head and cry! I can't wait to finish the book

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner