Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Snow White and the Huntsmen

Old June 7th, 2012, 3:19 am
Fourth Year

Re: Snow White and the Huntsmen

I haven't seen this movie yet, and I don't know if I even still want to now. The funny thing is, the guy who reviews movies on my news channel gave it an A, which is strange because he's usually really tough on films. The whole film itself looks beautiful though, but I can imagine that's one of the only things good about it.

Edit: I've seen the movie! You know, I think you guys brought down my expectations so much, that when I saw it, I actually liked it. Everything was beautiful, and the story was very enjoyable! I did have a couple problems with it though, the dwarves were hard for me to understand sometimes, and the whole William+Snow+Huntsmen was confusing. I'm kind of glad they didn't rap that up because I would have been unhappy either way.

Last edited by RikuStark; June 13th, 2012 at 4:34 am.
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2012, 8:51 am
Sixth Year

I finally saw this movie yesterday. The previews had looked amazing but I held off because the reviews hadn't been very positive. However, there was nothing else out I cared to see when I went to the theate so it ended up winning out by default.

It was overall very disappointing. The script was terrible with no character development whatsoever. I can't believe they have green lit a sequel! I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. Visually the movie was beautiful - the setting, the costumes, etc. The main story,though, was incredibly thin. Maybe that is the best they could do with the source material. I don't know. The actors, especially Kristen and Chris just had no chemistry at all. I found myself bored out of my mind during the entire midsection of the film. The only part I liked during the forest scenes were the visual efx with the fairies and that white stag that reminded me of HP. The queen by far was the most interesting character. Still, after awhile I got tired of all her yelling too. I think Charlize did the best she could with what she was given though.

Old June 19th, 2012, 4:51 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post
It was overall very disappointing. The script was terrible with no character development whatsoever.
Tell me about it.

Quote:
I can't believe they have green lit a sequel!

Really?

Wow, Hollywood really has completely sold out to box office returns.

Quote:
Visually the movie was beautiful - the setting, the costumes, etc. The main story,though, was incredibly thin. Maybe that is the best they could do with the source material. I don't know. The actors, especially Kristen and Chris just had no chemistry at all. I found myself bored out of my mind during the entire midsection of the film. The only part I liked during the forest scenes were the visual efx with the fairies and that white stag that reminded me of HP. The queen by far was the most interesting character. Still, after awhile I got tired of all her yelling too. I think Charlize did the best she could with what she was given though.
See, I'd be completely down with a prequel all about the Queen - that's really on the only part of the movie I really liked - hearing about how she got her powers and her life pre-marriage to the king. That would be awesome. There's no where to go with Snow White's character; as a heroine she's really boring because she has no faults and is perfect in every way. You know she's going to win, you know she's going to be with the love of her life, you know she's going to get everything she wants... boooooring.

Old July 14th, 2012, 4:10 am
Curse Breaker

The previews were expertly cut. Visually, a lot of it is gorgeous, but the script is...wow, was that sad. It was probably as bad as or worse than Red Riding Hood (and that was an absolute mess). Here's the thing, Charlize Theron actually carries the movie...or makes a reasonable attempt at it...when she isn't screaming. Unfortunately, most of her major scenes are her screaming. I don't know who's idea it was to give Kristen Stewart a dumbed down St. Crispian's Day speech, but whoever it was failed miserably. Also, they dressed her in that armor like Hollywood's idea of Joan of Arc and then had her do absolutely nothing. The most interesting experiments were with the various accents. The Queen had a South African accent, the subjects and dwarves were English, the Huntsman was...was he a Scot; and Snow White was just flat--unaccented American (Midwest?). This transported us to the mystical land of Nowhere. They got real heavyweights to play dwarves, had a milquetoast noble's son (rather the same problem that Mirror, Mirror had). Somehow, Snow White was supposed to literally be the rebirth/regenesis of nature blessed by the mystical White Hart (which they got from where and normally does what?)

Yikes.

I wanted to like this more than Mirror, Mirror as a Theron fan, but both were failures. Where is there story for a sequel in this. The Queen is dead, long live the rightful Queen.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion