Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Dark Shadows

Old May 14th, 2012, 5:23 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Re: Dark Shadows

I liked Depp in the movie. I thought the ending was a mess, but regarding the points that Midnightsfire brought up in the Spoiler tag, I think the film was just putting as many old DS plotline in-jokes into the story as possible. I don't think Burton or Depp were really thinking about spinning this thing out into a series of movies, despite the final image - which is really just a tribute to a horror movie cliche, not an indicator of future films. So...

Spoiler: show
Toss in the Phoenix (David's mother), toss in the destruction of Collinwood (1995 plot), toss in a variation of Julia cleaning Barnabus' blood (one of the early Barnabus plotlines, except that here, Julia has a completely different agenda).

I think a lot depends on what the viewer wanted from the film. I wasn't expecting much more than I got, so I was reasonably satisfied.

But I agree that it's not a great movie. I found it entertaining, and I'll see it again. So I gave it a B.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2012, 1:46 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I understand Jonathan Frid did a cameo in the movie, so I'd imagine he thought it was OK or wouldn't have agreed.
I have no idea who Frid played in this movie.

Did anyone recognize him?

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old May 14th, 2012, 2:25 pm

He was a party guest, arriving with Lara Parker, Katherine Leigh Scott, and David Selby. Depp welcomed them at the door to Collinwood.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old May 14th, 2012, 4:01 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I understand Jonathan Frid did a cameo in the movie, so I'd imagine he thought it was OK or wouldn't have agreed.
More likely that he was asked if he wanted to do a cameo and agreed. I doubt he would have been given details of the script.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 14th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
More likely that he was asked if he wanted to do a cameo and agreed. I doubt he would have been given details of the script.
That's likely. It seems he had an enjoyable exchange on set, though, with Johnny Depp (according to Katherine Leigh Scott).

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old May 15th, 2012, 1:03 am
Second Year

A few of Depp's lines in the movie were quite nice...such as the thing about Victoria's name...and his observation to Angelique near the end. They captured the courtly Barnabas well. Too bad there weren't more of them.

Old May 15th, 2012, 1:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelkinCooper View Post
A few of Depp's lines in the movie were quite nice...such as the thing about Victoria's name...and his observation to Angelique near the end. They captured the courtly Barnabas well. Too bad there weren't more of them.
Those were famous lines from the show actually.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old May 15th, 2012, 1:41 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Those were famous lines from the show actually.
Ahhh...so that's why they felt so right. It's been so long since I've seen the original, I didn't remember.

Old May 15th, 2012, 6:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelkinCooper View Post
Ahhh...so that's why they felt so right. It's been so long since I've seen the original, I didn't remember.
I didn't remember either. I think it was my friend who wrote his dissertation on Dark Shadows who pointed it out.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old May 28th, 2012, 5:31 am
First Year

I was unaware this was a remake. Saw an earlier comment that most of the funny parts are in the trailer...hope that's not right. I'll still probably see it anyway, because I like Depp.

Old May 29th, 2012, 1:28 am
First Year

I never saw the TV series either, never even heard of it actually until I got part of an interview with Johnny Depp. I wasn't really sure what to expect. I expected it to be odd because Johnny Depp is a little odd, though he did a good job with his character. There were, however, some parts I didn't really care for at all. The only reason I saw it in the theater because my husband wanted to see it. Otherwise I would have waited until I could rent it on DVD, or at least gone to see it when it got to the $2.00 theater.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion