Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Grammys 2012

Old February 4th, 2012, 4:39 am
Second Year

Grammys 2012

Wasn't sure wether to place this in the music or the TV section, feel free to move

So, here are the Grammy 2012 nominees!

Not too many surprises there...As usual, Britney's been completely snubbed (which, imo, is still ridiculous. Say what you want about her, she basically defines pop music and all she's gotten in her entire career is one grammy...I actually think "Femme Fatale" should have been nominated for best pop album), Beyonce and, um...oh yeah, please get Regina Spektor a freaking grammy already!!!

Okie, rant done Only real surprises for me were Beyonce's "4" not getting nominated for Best R&B album, Taylor Swift's "Speak Now" not getting nominated for best album, and Lady Gaga not getting more nominations (3??? that's strange...)

Any thoughts?

Old February 13th, 2012, 5:28 am
Registered Animagus

Re: Grammys 2012

The Grammy's never fail to surprise me with how out of touch they are with new exciting music. The same old artists win, or it's the flavour of the month.

Plus the fact that Chris Brown is performing is so tasteless.

Old February 13th, 2012, 8:30 am
Fourth Year

I believe Adele won 6 awards?

Well I think that shows that the Grammy's are in touch with modern music - her Rolling in the Deep vid on youtube ( the official one) has 231,617,263 views!

And she was able to sing at the awards? that's brilliant news as her throat problems have been very well documented...

Old February 13th, 2012, 1:46 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Plus the fact that Chris Brown is performing is so tasteless.
I turned off my television when he was announced - and didn't turn it back on, because there were a lot of performances and not enough award-giving for my taste.

But it's great that Adele won so much - her performance was stunning!

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old February 13th, 2012, 3:47 pm
Second Year

Really happy for Adele!!! She really deserved all her awards Her voice sounded amazing, as always. I expected her to have some trouble with her vocals after the operation, but she sounded absolutely perfect.

So many music legends performing last night!!! Bruce Springsteen, The Beach Boys, Glen Campbell, Paul McCartney!!! Alicia Keys and Bonnie Raitt's tribute to Etta James was also FANTASTIC. Their voices blended so well together.

I agree Chris Brown performing was tasteless, though. Still...he can certainly dance, I'll give him that.

Taylor Swift's performance of "Mean" was also amazing, imo. Her banjo playing was great, she is so so talented. Is there anything she can't do? Seriously My dad, who's always complaining about "the music nowadays" and was only really watching it for the Beach Boys and Paul McCartney, absolutely loved her song lol.

Old February 14th, 2012, 1:16 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
I believe Adele won 6 awards?

Well I think that shows that the Grammy's are in touch with modern music - her Rolling in the Deep vid on youtube ( the official one) has 231,617,263 views!

And she was able to sing at the awards? that's brilliant news as her throat problems have been very well documented...
My criticism was that they're not in touch with "new exciting music." (ie. something different) and "The same old artists win, or it's the flavour of the month." which I stand by. I'm not a fan of Adele though I can recognise she'd very talented. Having said that, she is not doing anything that hasn't been done before. She's talented, but not pushing boundaries or anything IMO.

Old February 14th, 2012, 2:14 pm
Fourth Year

Adele is unique with respect to our family - she is the only artist to be in all of our collections - and we are 49, 47, 21, 19 and 18!

OH likes prog rock and my son (19) is into rap and hiphop type stuff!

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:45 pm
Sixth Year

Looking forward to next years Grammys. Hoping to see Florence + the Machine get some recognition.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old February 19th, 2012, 1:20 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
My criticism was that they're not in touch with "new exciting music." (ie. something different) and "The same old artists win, or it's the flavour of the month." which I stand by.
But that's not the point. They exist to award excellence, not novelty.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)