Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Ask the Staff v8

Old August 11th, 2011, 4:41 am
First Year

Re: Ask the Staff v8

What is wrong with discussing the email thing though? People wanted to see a pattern (what days/ages got them, etc - and while "I got my email!" was annoying, there was nothing annoying about the pattern (which day, what email provider, age, etc) that required constant deletion. LeakyLounge was fine with people talking about the pattern and what days people registered on the main forum, and I was wondering why COS wasn't, especially because so many people want to know the pattern. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it (But youre a mod so I guess you don't need the invitation)

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2011, 4:57 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

It has been stated a number of times every day since this began that you are free to chat about who got the email and who didn't here: Pitchside: Halftime (and Pottermore registration) Chat v. 17

The reasons why we want to keep the Pottermore thread as free of chatter as possible has also been stated often enough. Nobody who wants to find any kind of relevant information about pottermore wants to wade through page after page of 'I got email', 'I havent got email yet' and 'has anyone got email?'.

Old August 11th, 2011, 5:07 am
First Year

Alright, so we agree haha. Its unnecessary to say "I got this email!" or "OMG I haven't got this email yet what should I do!" That is repetitive and unproductive. But when people were trying to figure out the pattern (U13 and Day 1 and 2 seemed to be the trend) isn't that fine? Especially because people want to know how the order will be, and now we are seeing emails come out in a specific order, isn't that talk-worthy? I understand nobody wants to see pages of "Yay, Pottermore e-mail!" but an actual discussion of day/email correlation doesn't need to be deleted, especially as it had just started.

Other members seemed to have similar concerns and left the site because of this- the over moderation of the thread. I guess in short is wasn't that productive enough (or not non-productive enough) to keep?

Thanks for answering though and keeping the site an enjoyable place (minus this issue haha)

Last edited by BostonAggie; August 11th, 2011 at 5:22 am.
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:44 am
Eldest Gruff

The problem is really simple to understand: if people don't stop to read the thread before they post, but post first, it get's impossible to read the thread. We had around to 20000 single hits on this site when the Quill tasks started. A huge part of this was people trying to read or post in Pottermore thread.

Alas, they couldn't, because the thread grow 20 pages every few minutes, additionally with very repetitive posts. And with posts complaining that the thread grows too fast (thirty or forty times in a row as well).

We could give more leeway if we were a forum with only a few hundred active members. CoS just simply is too huge to allow chatting in discussion threads. Please don't ever think you're the only one who asks exact this question in the minute you post it.
Currently staff still constantly patrols the threads and deletes posts which don#t add to the discussion, because way too many members post first, but read later.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old August 11th, 2011, 3:43 pm
First Year

I was a little confused on how those character accounts (like Ginny Weasley) work. Could you explain that?

Old August 11th, 2011, 4:06 pm
First Year

how do i accept an owl that ive recived to join the hufflepuffs ??

Old August 11th, 2011, 4:16 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat1 View Post
I was a little confused on how those character accounts (like Ginny Weasley) work. Could you explain that?
The staff can use the character account during contest to start threads and answer questions in the Quibbler forum or participate in the social groups or Hogwarts Common Room thread. They are not used daily because of our other duties but we do play with them from time to time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLuna86 View Post
Here you go:

How do I find my Common Room invite:    

When you have logged into the board, a link to 'Your Notifications' may be displayed in the 'Welcome' box near the top of the forum. 'Your Notifications' will show if you have any one of the following:
  • Unread Private Messages (?)
  • Unread Profile Visitor Messages (?)
  • Profile Visitor Messages Awaiting Approval
  • Incoming Friend Requests (?)
  • Requests to Join Your Social Groups (?)
  • Invitations to Join Social Groups
  • Unread Picture Comments (?)
  • Picture Comments Awaiting Approval

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old August 11th, 2011, 8:04 pm
Sixth Year

[HM related question removed by staff. Owl sent]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLuna86 View Post
This took me a while too - scroll to the very bottom of the window and there's two little buttons there - one to accept, the other not to.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:33 pm
First Year

Two things. One, How do you get the password to enter the US Political discussion thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
The problem is really simple to understand: if people don't stop to read the thread before they post, but post first, it get's impossible to read the thread. We had around to 20000 single hits on this site when the Quill tasks started. A huge part of this was people trying to read or post in Pottermore thread.

Alas, they couldn't, because the thread grow 20 pages every few minutes, additionally with very repetitive posts. And with posts complaining that the thread grows too fast (thirty or forty times in a row as well).

We could give more leeway if we were a forum with only a few hundred active members. CoS just simply is too huge to allow chatting in discussion threads. Please don't ever think you're the only one who asks exact this question in the minute you post it.
Currently staff still constantly patrols the threads and deletes posts which don#t add to the discussion, because way too many members post first, but read later.
Not to be offensive, really, but this doesn't actually answer the question BostonAggie and now I am asking.

There is a huge difference between saying "I got my email!" and "It seems the emails are coming out in this order because...." I fail to see how this is any less productive or discussion worthy than, let's say, whether we will be able take lessons and do homework. Both are equally speculative and have been talked about before.

It is completely valid that meaningless chatter should be kept out of the thread as it is not relevant nor helpful but finding a pattern in the emails, posting theories, and speculating hardly seems like meaningless chatter just because it has to do with the emails.

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:48 pm
Eldest Gruff

Yup, that's true. That's why we don't delete such posts as chatter, but ask to read the posts already being made in the thread carefully. To avoid twenty or thirty pages with the exact same speculation going in circles. We simply can't effort it.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old August 12th, 2011, 2:37 am
Fifth Year

Hi Staff!

I was wondering why some people have special titles (like Assistant to Professor Snape) as opposed to the actual titles associated with their post/year count.

Thanks in advance!

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Old August 12th, 2011, 2:49 am
I want to believe

Many of those usertitles were prizes for winning contests.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 12th, 2011, 2:56 am
Fifth Year

Ahhhh....so is there any chance that something like that will be available again, or was it a one time deal?

(submits motion for another chance....)

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Old August 12th, 2011, 2:58 am
I want to believe

At the moment there aren't any contests being offered, but that could certainly change in the future.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 12th, 2011, 3:08 am
First Year

Can we expect a section of the forum to be related exclusively to Pottermore? I think it would make things a lot easier and what not, and it was thrown up earlier at the Pitchside. Just thought i'd ask if it's even a possibilty.

[Pottermore Beta Tester & Your Friend]
MarauderWalnut
Old August 12th, 2011, 3:17 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarauderWalnut View Post
Can we expect a section of the forum to be related exclusively to Pottermore? I think it would make things a lot easier and what not, and it was thrown up earlier at the Pitchside. Just thought i'd ask if it's even a possibilty.
I think we're going to wait and see what Pottermore actually is before we do that...

At least a few of us are going to be let in at some point early so we'll be able to see what it is and isn't and then we (the staff) will figure that out

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 12th, 2011, 5:23 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan101 View Post
Hi Staff!

I was wondering why some people have special titles (like Assistant to Professor Snape) as opposed to the actual titles associated with their post/year count.

Thanks in advance!
In the same vein of questioning... is there a reason that some of the user titles are bold?

Old August 12th, 2011, 5:52 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnylarak View Post
In the same vein of questioning... is there a reason that some of the user titles are bold?
It's a choice made by the one who gave that title.

Old August 13th, 2011, 10:56 pm
First Year

How come some people chose titles under their names and the rest of the people have "first year" or something?

Oh, never mind, sorry, I didn't scroll up far enough. I only saw the question about the bold titles.

Last edited by TabbyCat1; August 14th, 2011 at 12:30 am.
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:00 pm
She Who Walks Behind

That question was answered in the posts above yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Many of those usertitles were prizes for winning contests.

The End of the Dream.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services