Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Voldemort and Capricorn

Old July 26th, 2007, 7:06 pm
First Year

Re: Voldemort and Capricorn

It makes sense that Voldemort is a Capricorn, who are probably the most determined to get what they want.

I'm a Cap! lol Don't worry though. I'm not going to do a Voldie. But it explains some parts of why he is who he is.

This is only directed at Voldie people. Not all Caps. Don't bite my head off lol.

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2007, 8:34 pm
Third Year

...this doesn't seem to fit quite right either. Though if he was raised by at least his loving mother perhaps he would have been different.

What tree is Voldemort?

"Apple Tree, The Love
Of slight build, lots of charm, appeal and attraction, pleasant aura,
flirtatious, adventurous, sensitive, always in love, wants to love and
be loved, faithful and tender partner, very generous, scientific
talents, lives for today, a carefree philosopher with imagination"

Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:16 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Apple Tree, The Love
Of slight build, lots of charm, appeal and attraction, pleasant aura,
flirtatious, adventurous, sensitive, always in love, wants to love and
be loved, faithful and tender partner, very generous, scientific
talents, lives for today, a carefree philosopher with imagination
Well he was of slight build wasn't he? Charming, which gave him appeal and attraction, althought he was scheming he gave off a pleasant aura to those he wanted to charm for personal gain, the same with being flirtatious (Hepzibah), quite adventurous I'd say and he had significant scientific (magical) talent.

Old April 14th, 2008, 7:15 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeenyOwl View Post
What a letdown! I thought this thread was going to compare Voldemort as a villain with Capricorn in Cornelia Funke's Inkheart. Pooh.
don't be dissapointed I thought so too.

It really does seem that JKR may have thought through these start signs and such but maybe not as indepth as you have. Until I read you discription I would have had no idea about this. It has really opened my eyes to see how Voldemort is related to all around him.

ANIMAGUS FORM: Wolf
Old August 14th, 2008, 7:09 am
Fourth Year

How interesting... I am a capricorn myself, but I don't think I posses too many of these traits... Perhaps that's because I was born on the cusp of capricorn and aquarius??

Anywho... I think that the matter of zodiac for each character was carefully calculated and taken into consideration by JKR. I wonder... was there any mention of saturn in any of the astrology classes in the books?? Perhaps that would provide an example of it's influence.

Old August 14th, 2008, 12:11 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danluver View Post
I think that the matter of zodiac for each character was carefully calculated and taken into consideration by JKR. I wonder... was there any mention of saturn in any of the astrology classes in the books?? Perhaps that would provide an example of it's influence.
There is a mention of Saturn in the books. In one of the Divination classes, Trelawney says that Harry must have been born under the influence of Saturn because of ....., and Harry corrects her to say he was born in the summer. And then we have the "Mars is bright tonight" said by a centaur. In fact, the Centaurs use the planets for their predictions.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old August 15th, 2008, 7:59 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
Capricorn is the 10th sign of the Zodiac. Those born under the sign are said to be responsible, patient, ambitious, and shrewd. They can also be prone to rigidity, materialism, and coldness.
These characteristics fit Voldemort very well indeed - except that he is not very responsible. It's interesting that these characteristics also fit Snape, who was born on January 9 if my memory serves me. In fact, they fit the majority of Slytherin house to varying degrees. But of course, Voldemort these characteristics in Voldemort are twisted so that there's no good stemming from them.

Many of the other attributes of Capricorn, such as being associated with Mars, are evident in the series. As was pointed out, Mars is the god of war, and thus when it's bright, this is used as a foreshadowing to the gathering and increasing of Voldemort's strength. The significance of the number seven is also evident as the number of horcruxes Voldemort had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
In one of the Divination classes, Trelawney says that Harry must have been born under the influence of Saturn because of ....., and Harry corrects her to say he was born in the summer.
I wonder if that was Trelawney unconsciously seeing through Harry to the horcrux that resided within him.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old November 13th, 2008, 2:53 pm
Sixth Year

^ Perhaps it is also because of Harry's hatred of Voldemort?

(BTW, whoever made this thread is AWESOME. I love Astrology! Sorry, astrology freak speaking)

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old November 13th, 2008, 8:50 pm
Banned

Kingwidget, these are very interesting thoughts and discoveries. Things that I probably would have never seen. Perhaps JKR made Voldemort a Capricon on purpose, giving him these features.

Old July 29th, 2009, 7:27 pm
First Year

I absolutely love this thread, kingwidgit. You offer some incredible insights related to Voldemort, his astrological sign and the overall relationship to the mythology and symbolism surrounding Saturn.

I'm not entirely sure whether Rowling used astrological information in designing her characters, although that's certainly a possibility - but she may have just as easily selected their birthdays based on their personalities afterward. Most of the characters for whom we know birthdays seem to match their astrological signs pretty well, in particular Hermione (Virgo), Fred&George (Aries), Harry&Ginny (Leo), Arthur Weasley (Aquarius), and Dobby (Cancer).

I am curious, though, as to whether anyone knows if J.K. Rowling has ever given us Dumbledore's birthday? If not, what astrological sign would one believe him to have been born under? Perhaps Cancer, to be the polar opposite of Voldemort?

On a side note, perhaps not entirely related, this is a fabulous link: Harry Potter Astrology - It looks at how a person's astrological sign & the house they're sorted into would interact.

Here's Voldemort/Snape, Slytherin/Capricorn:

Quote:
The traits emphasized here will be ambition, determination, discipline, and pragmatism. You can't make that castle in the sky if you don't build a solid foundation under it, and Capricorns excel at building foundations. (Actually, they excel at planning the foundations and directing others to do the grunt labour. It's not that they're afraid to get their hands dirty, but large work usually requires delegation and a staff, and Capricorns are managers more often than not.) While not flamboyant or showy about it, Capricorns still tend to be obsessive overachievers, a common trait in House Slytherin. Too, wizards born under the sign of Capricorn are good at being discreet, secretive, and diplomatic; whereas the Libra's diplomacy is based on charm and a desire for harmony, the Capricorn's diplomacy is based on the knowledge that being on good terms with people is extremely useful in getting one's way or finding out sensitive information. These also are traits commonly associated with House Slytherin. They might not be sexy traits, but they're very handy.

"I don't wonder you're shocked, Potter," said Madam Pomfrey, with a kind of fierce approval in her face. "As if one of them could have Stunned Minerva McGonagall face-on by daylight! Cowardice, that's what it was... despicable cowardice..."

"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." -President Obama

Last edited by excusemydust; July 29th, 2009 at 7:32 pm.
Old August 13th, 2009, 4:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeenyOwl View Post
What a letdown! I thought this thread was going to compare Voldemort as a villain with Capricorn in Cornelia Funke's Inkheart. Pooh.
I thought the exact same thing!

I am a proud Gryffinpuff!

Ron Weasley, Fred Weasley, Sirus Black, Severus Snape, and Cedric Diggory are the best characters EVER!

AVPM and PPPs are amazing!
Old August 19th, 2009, 5:31 am
Third Year

I'm a Cappy.... you guys make us sound as if we are workaholics who are all ambitious to the point of being evil.... we're not all like that man! Give us a break... yeah you'll get a few bad apples in every barrel.... the Cappy's bad apple just happens to be more worm than apple.... so, FYI, Cap's aren't all evil or mean. Just most of us.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve