Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Quantum Physics and Harry Potter

Old January 3rd, 2008, 7:23 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Quantum Physics and Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkwolf View Post
(Disclaimer: I am reasonably clueless in terms of physics, therefore feel free to disillusion me. My knowledge of quamtum physics all comes from reading Timeline, since I avoided math-related classes like the plague whenever I could... )

According to quantum physics, the world is split (and continues splitting) into an infinite multitude of slightly different alternate universes, and particulate matter sometimes reacts to other particles which do not actually exist in our own universe.

Could Potterverse-style magic be based on quantum physics? Rather than making a pineapple dance across the desk, does the spell simply propel you into a universe where the unlikely event of a dancing pineapple occurs, so that you swap places with your alternate-universe selves? Or does it form a link between the pineapple in your universe and the pineaple in another universe (which has some reason of its own to be dancing across a desk.) Does Felix Felicus simply make sure that you inhabit the universe where everything goes according to plan? Does apparating move you to a universe where you just happened to be where you wanted to go, and time-turners simply put you in another universe that is not as chronologically far along?

Or, alternately, could magic be based on particle behavior, in the same way many Muggle inventions are based on quantum physics? And could that be the reason many Muggle inventions can't work properly around magic spells?
I think rather than swapping objects in and out of parallel universes, we'd just stay put in one; magic would simply exist in one of those parallel universes where it's laws of physics allow for it, unlike our universe.
As stated earlier, String Theory accounts for 10 dimensions, and M Theory eleven; so perhaps manipulation of or within those hidden dimensions is the key to the apparent suspension of cause and effect and other Newtonian laws of physics with which we're so familiar.
I'm no physicist either, but I've always had a fascination with it all, so, I'm sort of a hobbyist.

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2008, 1:51 am
First Year

wow, this thread is interesting. i remember seeing a paper on string theory in the hp universe over on the leaky website. i didn't read it because i was too lazy though. if anyone reading this wants an intro into string theory, go to www.pbs.org/nova and look up the elegant universe movie. it is about two hours long and very interesting.

this is sorta off topic, but using my limited knowledge of string theory, i have explained some big religous mysteries i think. if anyone wants to hear my theories then say something, but i don't want to make a big post that would clog up the thread.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 5:51 pm
First Year

As a Noetic Scientist, and having studied Physics at a Astromical, cosmological and quantum mechanics perspectives, I have delved into a similar theory on Harry Potter and the world in which it exists.

As investigations get deeper and deeper you find areas that are without explanation (e.g. The invisibility cloak of Harry's, to become invisible indefinetly, the cloak must have some property which changes the DNA of one's particle's allowing them to become so far seperated one appears invisible, this isn't the problem, it could in theory been done. However changing back once the cloak comes off is where we cannot understand it.)

But we do not truly understand our own Universe, there comes a time when scientists cannot explain a phenomena; our best figure is that made up of assumptions. I'm not sure if anyone is aware of 'Black' or 'Dark' energy or matter something scientists use to explain the phenomena of the orbiting of a galaxy isn't what the formulae promises.

Therefore it is easy for us to just assume that magic exists in our universe, but it is controlled by 'Dark Energy', scientists claim we cannot sense Dark Energy to the best of our ability; therefore this 'Dark matter' could well be the wizarding world since us meer muggles have no hope of uncovering it.

In terms of Noetic Science, one theory is that this universe is ultimately Potters, after all Potter performed Magic that even the Dark Energy (or magical) laws cannot explain. This theory places Potter at the centre of the universe, we cannot be sure what this being is, but that in this bieng of consious, it beleives to have a body, and calls itself harry potter. Everything that happened in Harry's life happened because it was all in his 'mind'/consious. Thats why he couldn't be killed in life threatening situations. All of the characters only existed inside Harry's head, that is to say that this bieng was indeed called Harry or had what we call a head.

Last edited by WulfricMarvolo; April 22nd, 2011 at 5:52 pm. Reason: content missed
Old May 28th, 2011, 6:39 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrControl View Post
To quote Arthur C. Clarke:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

For argument's sake imagine that you travel back in time to, say 1920, with some of today's technology like a voice activated light switch and that you use this to wire out your new house in 1920.

When a 1920's guest see you turning on or off the lights in your house by a voice command -- which can be surely made to be activated by some "magic" words -- it will be, for the said guest, like magic.

Think about it, is the concept of Apparition in HP books that different from a personal, portable, transporter device from Star Trek?

Or are the flying brooms that different from anti-grav units that respond to the user's thoughts?

So, I think, that many, many things that we see in HP might come to be some day, while others might not.
I've always thought that our cell phones are like "a muggle's wand" because we depend on them so much to get through the day And remote controls are very similar to wands, and would have looked like magic to someone from a past century.Perhaps we could have a more Harry Potter-ish world if science focused on the connection between the mind & our external environment?

I think that's where the magic's at

Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved
Old May 28th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Fifth Year

The only problem with using Quantum Mechanics to describe the effects of Harry Potter is the most obvious, basic one: the strange, seemingly impossible and/or illogical behavior and properties of subatomic particles and their interactions only apply to the realm of the infinitesimally small -that is, at the level of the atom; once you start dealing in molecules, elements, and compounds, etc.. your basic Newtonian physics takes over. (unless maybe you could accelerate those things beyond the speed of light somehow..?)

Old August 23rd, 2011, 3:23 pm
First Year

Harry Potter and Quantum Physics -- Explained!!

Greetings all,

An event called "Quantum Physics and Harry Potter" was recently held in Waterloo, Canada, hosted by the Institute for Quantum Computing.

A quantum researcher (and HUGE Harry Potter fan) teamed up with a magician to create a free, educational 90-minute show about the real science underlying concepts in Harry Potter!

You can watch a full video of the event here:

http://quantumfactory.wordpress.com/...-harry-potter/

Enjoy!

Old September 20th, 2011, 12:20 pm
First Year

Quote:
Could Potterverse-style magic be based on quantum physics?
If it was all just quantum physics? How do wizards and witches go into this other world or other dimension? Won't you need flat-out magic to do that?

And Hermione's time-turner does not conform with the quantum-physics theory that you have to travel faster than the speed of light to go back in time.

Pottermore: HazelSilver
Wand: hornbeam and dragon heartstring, thirteen and three-quarter inches, solid
House: Slytherin and proud.

adfoot:
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve