Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Dumbledore's notes

Old June 1st, 2009, 9:52 am
Fourth Year

Re: Dumbledore's notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
I think that there were parts of the commentary that were a little too self congratulatory from the Dumbledore that we know from the series. Even in private moments and in a book of private notes that he thought would not be seen I have trouble accepting Dumbledore is how he's presented in parts.

All in all though, I just take it as it is, I thought they were a wonderful touch and it made the book for me.
I agree with this. I was not just a little taken aback when I finished the first story The Wizard and the Hopping Pot and then turned to Dumbledore's notes and the first thing I read was this.

A simple and heart-warming fable, one might think - in which case, one would reveal oneself to be an innocent nincompoop.

I blinked. A lot.

But though the commentary seems a bit different from the Dumbledore we knew from the first six books, after DH he seemed more human with all his flaws and correspondingly greater for all of them, and I think I can see him writing as he did in this book, with all the "Such as myself"s.

The tales were all the more enjoyable for his notes, and I missed him terribly.

Old August 30th, 2009, 3:33 pm
First Year

#52 Lysandersgirl,where is the mention of couple compatibility mentioned,I must have missed that.I love the mention of the WADA.I really really want to know more about it.Was it a castle? What were the lessons? Were certain classes the same as Hogwarts,such as Divination and Potions etc.?
I like the saying to have a hairy heart and Nick's history. I really like the idea of wizarding philosophers too,how does a witch or wizard get in to that I wonder? Is that what's done at the DoM? That'd be cool to work there at some point.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:43 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypotterfab
#52 Lysandersgirl,where is the mention of couple compatibility mentioned,I must have missed that.
This is in Dumbledore's notes on The Tale of the Three Brothers:
The Tales of Beedle the Bard, The Tale of the Three Brothers, Dumbledore's Notes, Pages 100-101, AmericanCertain wands (and therefore their owners) are supposed to be incompatible:

When his wand's oak and hers is holly,
Then to marry would be folly.

or to denote flaws in the owner's character:

Rowan gossips, chestnut drones,
ash is stubborn, hazel moans.

And sure enough, within this category of unproven sayings we find:

Wand of elder, never prosper.

Quote:
I love the mention of the WADA.I really really want to know more about it.Was it a castle? What were the lessons? Were certain classes the same as Hogwarts,such as Divination and Potions etc.?
I think they may have had these core classes, but there would be a concentration in magical theatre, pantomimes, music, etc. I like to think that the Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts taught the "magic" art of music (as Dumbledore mentions in his first speech in SS/PS).
Quote:
I really like the idea of wizarding philosophers too,how does a witch or wizard get in to that I wonder? Is that what's done at the DoM? That'd be cool to work there at some point.
I think you could call Unspeakables "philosophers," in a sense (though I see them more as scientists). I would think there are many aspects of magic that would promote philosophy, so I do not think it would be difficult to make a career of it.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 13th, 2009, 9:04 pm
First Year

Thanks for that.I remember it now,looking at it.I liked it when reading it because of the rhymes,I like the beat of it Perhaps Unspeakables are scientists then.It still seems cool.Writing would always be good,or something-Potions related It gives me an idea to start a thread based on the other career aspects mentioned in the notes.

Old November 1st, 2009, 9:25 pm
First Year

I loved Dumbledore's notes! They were funny, but they also helped you understand the stories more! Plus, I liked picturing him writing them

I am a proud Gryffinpuff!

Ron Weasley, Fred Weasley, Sirus Black, Severus Snape, and Cedric Diggory are the best characters EVER!

AVPM and PPPs are amazing!
Old November 6th, 2009, 2:43 am
First Year

I also liked Dumbledore's notes. I also remember from DH that Hermione recognized extra drawings that Dumbledore put in the book for her to see. LIke the snake ( could that mean Nagini is a horcrux hint to her?) and the crown that was on another heading. MMM We just aren't told a lot of what he obviously left for Hermione to figure out on her own.

Old March 15th, 2010, 8:37 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanksha View Post
I agree with this. I was not just a little taken aback when I finished the first story The Wizard and the Hopping Pot and then turned to Dumbledore's notes and the first thing I read was this.

A simple and heart-warming fable, one might think - in which case, one would reveal oneself to be an innocent nincompoop.

I blinked. A lot.
I love that line - it makes me laugh so much.

I think that Dumbledore's notes are great, especially his anecdotes about the Hogwarts production of The Fountain of Fair Fortune and his reference to the letters with Lucius Malfoy:

Quote:
My response prompted several further letters from Mr Malfoy, but as they consisted mainly of opprobrious remarks on my sanity, parentage and hygiene, their relevance to this commentary is remote.

I think it's clear that, in most cases, the commentary isn't supposed to be taken too seriously.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:58 pm
Second Year

^I agree, the commentary wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. But it was genius, nonetheless.

Proud supporter of: HWRKDJCKQ. I have yet to figure out what that means.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:19 pm
Sixth Year

Dumbledore's commentary was light-hearted, well thought-out, and very "Dumbledore", in a manner of speaking. I borrowed the book from the library yesterday, and I would turn to the commentry after each story. Wizarding tales are much better than the ones our Muggle ones.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old June 21st, 2010, 1:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseCruciatus View Post
^I agree, the commentary wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. But it was genius, nonetheless.
My sentiments, exactly.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Book! And cleverness! There are more important things, like friendship and bravery.

Old August 10th, 2010, 1:09 pm
First Year

I loved Dumbledore's notes. I loved the self deprecating jokes about him being the most brilliant wizard to live and it gave us a little bit more of JKR's writing (which I had sorely missed!!). I loved the back story it gave us about the Malfoys too, it cleared up a lot of questions I had about their heritage and the origin of some of their attitudes.

Old August 13th, 2010, 1:57 am
Orvakki

I thought Dumbledore's notes were more entertaining than the actual stories themselves.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 7:25 am
Second Year

OMG I just loved Dumbledore's commentary! It was like Luna commenting during that Quidditch match in HBP! Like someone above me has said: It was genius and very much Dumbledore-ish.

Okay, I am on story number 2 (re-reading) The Fountain of Fair Fortune and Dumbledore's notes after the story about the sad case of the Hogwarts' pantomime and Proff. Kettleburn is hilarious.

Did anyone else think of the whole 'Hermione-Ron-Lavender' mess in HBP when they read about the disastrous attempt at an adaptation of the story?

I cracked up quite a bit when I read about

Quote:
Little did he know that the students playing "Amata" and "Sir Luckless" had been boyfriend and girlfriend until one hour before the curtain rose, at which point "Sir Luckless" transferred his affections to "Asha".
Quote:
While the enormous fiery eggs it had laid at the foot of my Hill ignited the floorboards, "Amata" and "Asha" turned upon each other, dueling so fiercely that Professor Beery was caught in the cross fire---
Ron as "Sir Luckless"
*cracks up*

Wonder what Hermione thought about when she read about this particular note of Dumbledore's :P

Old April 25th, 2011, 2:08 am
First Year

I love his notes. It gave me a whole new perspective on his personality. The whole Kettleburn incident in the great hall was hilarious but sad in the same time. . I also loved his quarrel with Lucius. I always saw Dumbledore as too diplomatic but his great response gave him more of a "fire" personality.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 4:36 am
First Year

Aw, Dumbledore's notes were just hilarious, and are a great way to tie these stories into the Harry Potter world we all know and love.

I also love how (in some cases) they gave a little bit more insight into the back-story of certain characters, and a little bit more information of events that occured in the HP past.

...Ravenclaw at heart

Slythenclaw!
Sig pic by the amazing GryffSolider

Last edited by emmareth; August 22nd, 2011 at 4:42 am.
Old April 12th, 2012, 8:47 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

I enjoyed reading Dumbledore's notes and one part that really made me smile was finding out that Professor Mcgonagall ended up staying on as Headmistress .

As for the notes, at times I laughed and at times I saw that he could be slightly egotistical at times. But overall, he was human and it showed. Both for good and for bad.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old June 15th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
As for the notes, at times I laughed and at times I saw that he could be slightly egotistical at times. But overall, he was human and it showed. Both for good and for bad.
I thought Dumbledore's comments in Beedle showed a much more bluntly egotistical side of him than did the seven books. Given that here we saw his personal commentary it does not surprise me, but I think JKR opened up Dumbledore's true character to us in those notes. While we do see a bit of arrogance in the books, the commentary highlights it, and I think it is an important collection to consider in Dumbledore's character analysis.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard