Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Dumbledore's notes

Old December 6th, 2008, 12:40 pm
Knower of things

Dumbledore's notes

While I'm sure that all there's plenty in thread discussion about Dumbledore's notes, I'm going to create this thread to talk about them specifically.

After each Beedle's Tales, Dumbledore's notes and ideas are given to us. For me anyway, points of Canon have been cleared up like
  • What exactly is a Warlock - I'm now assuming Perkins is fearsome looking as opposed to being rewarded for great magical prowess!
  • Nearly Headless Nick's history
  • Dumbledore's real feeling about Lucius Malfoy
  • The Malfoys were always on the pureblood side of things!

Most of all Dumbledore's notes I think made me miss the Potterverse hugely.

I'd love to know what everyone else thinks!

Old December 6th, 2008, 1:33 pm
First Year

Re: Dumbledore's notes

It made me want that encyclopedia a whole lot more, thats for sure

Old December 6th, 2008, 4:00 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsome_devil View Post
It made me want that encyclopedia a whole lot more, thats for sure
Me too. I was quite interested in what had been told about Sir Nicholas. His death always seemed interesting from the first time he mentioned it.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old December 6th, 2008, 6:08 pm
Third Year

I would have thought that Dumbledore could have better notes on the passage of the Elder Wand, perhaps up to the wizard Gregorovitch took it from. They could be rated from "historical fact", "common knowledge", "hypothetical" to "pure speculation."

Since we know from GoF that the Ministry couldn't tell who used Harry's wand last, then perhaps it is too much to suppose that Dumbledore would have knowledge of the past owners.

Old December 6th, 2008, 6:46 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNEWTS
I would have thought that Dumbledore could have better notes on the passage of the Elder Wand, perhaps up to the wizard Gregorovitch took it from. They could be rated from "historical fact", "common knowledge", "hypothetical" to "pure speculation."

Since we know from GoF that the Ministry couldn't tell who used Harry's wand last, then perhaps it is too much to suppose that Dumbledore would have knowledge of the past owners.
JKR says, "Whether this commentary was written for his own satisfaction or for future publication, we shall never know." However, it is clear to me that these he wrote these thoughts on Beedle's tales with the idea of publication. If they were for his own synopses, I think they would be much more extensive.

I believe Dumbledore probably had extensive notes on the history of the Elder Wand, and the other Hallows, being a Quester himself. However, as I read it, he wrote his commentary on the Tale of the Three Brothers as if hiding the fact he was one of those believing in the three objects (though his knowledge on them is slightly contradictory). Thus, I hypothesize he did not divulge too much more history on the Elder Wand because it would have condemned him as a Quester.

I did find his note about the Invisibility Cloak interesting, as well: "Nobody has ever claimed to have found Death's Cloak." Since these were written eighteen months before his death, I find this deception earlier. We know he did discover Death's Cloak. The only aspect that makes his statement truthful is he never "claimed," to others, about it. This then brings us to what JKR said in the introduction, "The reason for any omission lies, perhaps, in what Dumbledore said about truth, many years ago..."

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old December 6th, 2008, 7:18 pm
Pernicious Blood Traitor

You know, it says that the notes were written some 18 months before Dumbledore died on the Tower, and in Deathly Hallows he says he that following Harry's escape from the cemetery he was sure that Voldemort would go after the Elder Wand. By the time of his death he already knew that Ollivander had been taken.

Knowing what he did, he may have written those notes with the foresight that if/when he died Hogwarts might fall under Voldemort's control and any of Dumbledore's writings on the subject could be used to help track the wand.

No better place to hide than in plain site.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:47 pm
Sixth Year

I greatly enjoyed Dumbledore's notes, they brought back one of my favourite characters : Dumbledore as he was in the first three books, not the rather sad and strained Dumbledore of the later books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Suki View Post
Knowing what he did, he may have written those notes with the foresight that if/when he died Hogwarts might fall under Voldemort's control and any of Dumbledore's writings on the subject could be used to help track the wand.
That’s a very good point, though IMO JKR’s reason to let Dumbledore keep his silence was not to spoil DH for those who will read the Tales before reading HP

Old December 7th, 2008, 12:38 am
Secret Keeper

I loved Dumbledore's notes. They gave quite a bit of insight to Potterverse while still not giving away too much. It was great to see Dumbledore as his wise but witty self

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 7th, 2008, 2:09 am
Third Year

We learned a little more about the Malfoy family, that's for sure. I liked learning about Nearly Headless Nick's death, too.

Old December 7th, 2008, 3:16 am
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Well, the info on Nick fit well with the poem that JK has on her site. So "Sir" Nick was a member of the Royal Court in his lifetime. A wizard actually obtained knighthood in muggle society and lived amongst muggles. Did they know he was a wizard, as the poem does seem to imply?

It was a mistake any wizard could make
Who was tired and caught on the hop
One piffling error, and then, to my terror,
I found myself facing the chop.
Alas for the eve when I met Lady Grieve
A-strolling the park in the dusk!
She was of the belief I could straighten her teeth
Next moment she'd sprouted a tusk.

I cried through the night that I'd soon put her right
But the process of justice was lax;
They'd brought out the block, though they'd mislaid the rock
Where they usually sharpened the axe.

Why would Lady Grieve believe a knight could "straighten" her teeth if she was unaware he was a wizard? And why would muggles allow a full-fledged wizard to live amongst them, especially considering the church and royal court's stance on magic and those who perpetrate it? And how would they know that stripping him of his wand would in effect make him unable to perform the simplest magic?

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:50 am
Knower of things

I think the detail and any of DUmbledore's notes shows just how much background information JK Rowling actually has - I agree with everyone saying that it makes them want the encyclopaedia/Scottish book even more!

Old December 7th, 2008, 5:59 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
I think the detail and any of DUmbledore's notes shows just how much background information JK Rowling actually has - I agree with everyone saying that it makes them want the encyclopaedia/Scottish book even more!
I never got as excited for it as much as now after reading the Tales of Beedle the Bard. There were some information I majorly enjoyed, also the way they were added. To get Nearless Nick's story really was neat!

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:47 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Why would Lady Grieve believe a knight could "straighten" her teeth if she was unaware he was a wizard?
The conclusion is: People knew he was a wizard.
Quote:
And why would muggles allow a full-fledged wizard to live amongst them, especially considering the church and royal court's stance on magic and those who perpetrate it?
In Rabbitty Babbitty a court-wizard is employed while all other magic folk is persecuted. The one is useful to the king (or so the king thinks ) so he can stay.
When you look at it historically, Nick’s lifetime, the fourteen hundreds, are marked by war. First the end of the hundred years war (which ended after Jean d’Arc, who was burned as a witch , won Charles’ VII the French throne), than the war of the roses. To have a wizard on your side, would be an asset that can make the difference in a (civil) war. And while all is fair in love and war, Sir Nicholas may have become a bit of a liability for Henry Tudor after he became king in 1485 and restored peace. So Henry VII may have looked for an excuse to get rid of him, making his court more respectable.
Quote:
And how would they know that stripping him of his wand would in effect make him unable to perform the simplest magic?
If Nick was openly performing magic people would know he used a wand. The importance of wands in wizardry is common knowledge in today’s Muggle world, I don’t see why the people in 1492, before the introduction of the statute of secrecy, should not have known about it.

Last edited by Murzim; December 8th, 2008 at 12:54 am.
Old December 8th, 2008, 9:41 pm
First Year

Also, did anyone note that one of the footnotes was credited to a "Granger"?

Old December 8th, 2008, 9:56 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinBlack2 View Post
Yeah I can't rmemeber which one but something like Hector ____ Granger right? Slughorn mentioned him too in HBP.

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 8th, 2008, 9:56 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinBlack2 View Post
Hector Dagworth Granger was mentioned in HBP. Slughorn said to Hermione:
HBP, chapter 9'Granger? Granger? Can you possibly be related to Hector Dagworth-Granger who founded the Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers?'
'No, I don't think so,sir. I'm Muggle-born, you see.'

Old December 8th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
Definitely! In her story, she's not just another character with their own story, she like plays "God" and she really knows everything there is to know without having to make it up as she goes along. I can't wait for the encyclopedia

My Deviantart Account

Old December 8th, 2008, 11:01 pm
Curse Breaker

It's rather a shame that Dumbledore's private notes on his own wand aren't a little more detailed. I was a little surprised about the "Favorite Death Eater" line, particularly since these notes were supposedly jotted down the winter after Dumbledore retrieved the Stone.

I liked the notes on Lucius complaining about children's stories, though. I also liked the nods to Brutus. On the synopses--they do seem rather like his comments prepared for Muggle publication of Whisp's work and Scamander's classic. Maybe this was a last project designed to soften the blow for Harry and to provide him with some information before he set off on his final task. Too bad Hermione won't release Albus' private notes.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:05 pm
Secret Keeper

well, apparently his goal came true

My Deviantart Account

Old December 8th, 2008, 11:54 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I was a little surprised about the "Favorite Death Eater" line, particularly since these notes were supposedly jotted down the winter after Dumbledore retrieved the Stone.
I think you got the time line wrong
introduction As far as we can tell, the notes were completed aroung eighteen months before the tragic events that took place at the top of Hogwarts' Astornomy Tower
That would be the winter before he retrieved the Resurrection Stone. During OotP, when Lucius was successfully using all his influence (and gold) to controll Fudge and the Ministry and publicly defame Albus.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard