Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

The Fountain of Fair Fortune

Old December 4th, 2008, 9:35 pm
Snidget of Champions

The Fountain of Fair Fortune

This is the second installment in Beedle's tales, and possibly the favorite amongst magical children.

Each year, one miserable individual is allowed the chance to bathe in the Fountain of Fair Fortune to change one's life for the better. Three witches divulge their grievances and promise to help each other. One of the women is chosen, and she brings along the other two. The third witch accidentally brings along a non-magical knight (Sir Luckless). They undergo a series of trials until the finally reach the fountain. By that time, each of the witches understands their misfortune and has seen how to better her situation. The allow the knight to bathe, one of the witches marries the knight, and all four live "happily ever after."

From Dumbledore's journals, we also get some insight into the history of Hogwarts, and its failed attempt at a pantomime. Discuss our knew knowledge of Professor Kettleburn, Lucius Malfoy's attempt to ban this story from Hogwarts (because it promotes magical/non-magical marriage), the quality of the story, or anything else.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2008, 5:31 am
Sixth Year

Re: The Fountain of Fair Fortune

This was my favorite of the stories. The last sentence was just awesome. It really supported the idea that people are in control of their own happiness, which is an idea I've always liked.

I also thought that the letters between Lucius and Dumbledore were a nice touch.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old December 5th, 2008, 2:39 pm
Zonko's Employee

This one ay my favourite. And I agree Spirit the last sentence was good, it's nice to see that it wasn't the fountain that was special but the journey.

I found the panto. story amusing, it's nice to get to hear Hogwarts stories too

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old December 5th, 2008, 4:24 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit
I also thought that the letters between Lucius and Dumbledore were a nice touch.
I found this reference to Lucius advocating the ban of certain books very similar to the Harry Potter opposition (though with different reasons, of course). It was nice, though, to see how easily Dumbledore rebuked Lucius and hence started their feud. Not only did he refuse Lucius, he insulted the purity of the Malfoys' blood, which I very much enjoyed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucybird
I found the panto. story amusing, it's nice to get to hear Hogwarts stories too
I found the similarities between Professor Kettleburn and Hagrid shocking. Despite Dumbledore's comment about Kettleburn in PoA about his remaining limbs, I did not expect him to be as monster-loving and careless as Hagrid. It was nice to see the possibility that Dumbledore did not just hire Hagrid because of sentimental reasons. He had dealt with Professor Kettleburn's eccentricities many times and probably did not think Hagrid's fancies would be any worse for the students' education (which I do not believe they were. A giant Ashwinder!).

The final sentence is a classical fairy tale ending, but I do not complain. I think it necessary for JKR to have treated these as classic fairy tales, so some of the elements will inevitably be cliché. Nonetheless, it is a great message and certainly one of my favorite tales. I can understand its popularity among the Wizarding children.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old December 5th, 2008, 9:46 pm
Fourth Year

Anyone thought that the FFF and Felix Felicis have a connection?
And maybe Felix Felicis is just water and lemon juice?

Old December 5th, 2008, 10:40 pm
Secret Keeper

I like this better than the hopping pot one (i'm posting as I read). Just one question, why didn't Kettleburn just engorge a flobberworm?

apparently his classes would've been even more dangerous

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 5th, 2008, 10:54 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausBaudelaire View Post
Anyone thought that the FFF and Felix Felicis have a connection?
And maybe Felix Felicis is just water and lemon juice?
Like Ron who thought he'd had some and got lucky :
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I found this reference to Lucius advocating the ban of certain books very similar to the Harry Potter opposition (though with different reasons, of course). It was nice, though, to see how easily Dumbledore rebuked Lucius and hence started their feud. Not only did he refuse Lucius, he insulted the purity of the Malfoys' blood, which I very much enjoyed.
So is Beatrix Bloxam's approach to 'fill the pure minds of our little angels with healthy, happy thoughts, keeping their sweet slumber free of wicked dreams and protecting the precious flower of their innocence'

Old December 5th, 2008, 10:59 pm
Fourth Year

I had a feeling this was going to be a fan favorite. It's one of mine too.

For me, what made it so great is that it touched so many themes in about 14 pages: friendship, alliance, courage, solidarity, love, etc. Just great! It had a little bit of everything. I love the overall theme of taking their own destinies in their hands. They all had big problems, but were set on doing something about it. I'm VERY proud of the three heroins in this tale.

And OMG, I laughed out loud a couple of time while reading Dumbledore's commentary. Just awesome.
I guess that now we see Hagrid in a whole 'nother light. He is not as bad as we thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausBaudelaire View Post
Anyone thought that the FFF and Felix Felicis have a connection? And maybe Felix Felicis is just water and lemon juice?

That's a quite nice connection, actually.
Particularly as it was shown with Ron & his Quidditch skills.
But I'm pretty sure Felix Felicis is a legitimate potion,

Sig made by the awesome cybobbie

You wish we were in your House

The ASP at Hogwarts”, “Hogwarts Staff Meeting” and “The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel)”: All by Inkwolf

Old December 5th, 2008, 11:40 pm
Secret Keeper

This kind of reminds me of the Ganges River in India, except that has religious meaning . It's not really cleaning out sins of bathers but at long as they beleive in it

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 6th, 2008, 3:23 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I did too. I was very much pleased about finding out how Kettleburn had lost some of his limbs. I think I recall asking about that. I also enjoyed getting that tidbit about how Malfoy came about to wanting to get rid of Dumbledore, and Dumbledore wanting to rid Malfoy of being Voldemort's favorite DE.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old December 6th, 2008, 6:37 am
Pernicious Blood Traitor

With Kettleburn being on probation no less than 62 times in his Hogwarts career, the thought almost makes Hagrid appear quite tame, doesn't it? After all, to our knowledge he'd only been called on the carpet twice and one of those times was absolutely unwarranted.
  1. Malfoy and Buckbeak
  2. Umbridge unfairly placed him on probation

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old December 6th, 2008, 9:09 pm
First Year

I liked this one as well. Probably my favourite out of the five.

It also reminds me a bit of "Wizard of Oz". Four people going on a quest to get something; but what they want, they already have within them.

To reply to the Felix Felicis comments: I believe that Felix Felicis does work (in the Potterverse of course ). Harry, in HBP, just makes too many right choices out of nowhere. Ron just had to feel confident about keeping his goalposts.

Old December 6th, 2008, 10:06 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by phe_de View Post
I believe that Felix Felicis does work (in the Potterverse of course ). Harry, in HBP, just makes too many right choices out of nowhere. Ron just had to feel confident about keeping his goalposts.
IMO part of the effects of Felix Felicis is that self confidence the knowledge that you will be lucky gives you. It's described when Harry takes it, and that part is what Ron and Sir Luck(less)y get too. I think that this is a very important part of FF, but agrre that it's not the only one.

Old December 7th, 2008, 12:39 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I liked this one as well. Probably my favourite out of the five.

It also reminds me a bit of "Wizard of Oz". Four people going on a quest to get something; but what they want, they already have within them.

To reply to the Felix Felicis comments: I believe that Felix Felicis does work (in the Potterverse of course ). Harry, in HBP, just makes too many right choices out of nowhere. Ron just had to feel confident about keeping his goalposts.
still, Kettleburn's been there much longer

My Deviantart Account

Old December 7th, 2008, 2:04 am
Third Year

What I loved most(my top favorites are the 1Wizard with the Hairy Heart, and 2The Tale of the Three Brothers), but this one was awesome as well, I loved the illustration of the fountain! Probably cause it had the symbols of Mercury, Saturn, and Jupiter. Do you think they might sell miniatures of it? I couldn't make out the writing, or other symbols on it.

The letters between Malfoy and Dumbledore were cool, too. I wish they would've been included.

Last edited by persian85033; December 7th, 2008 at 2:07 am. Reason: Wasn't complete
Old December 7th, 2008, 4:06 am
Pernicious Blood Traitor

The dragon fountain is beautiful. The alchemical symbols are a nice touch:

The top is siderite or iron & this represents the planet Mars.
Just below it is the symbol for platina or platinum & this represents Uranus .
Next is tin & it also represents Jupiter.
Followed by the last letter of the greek alphabet: Omega, which can be used to represent the density of the universe.
Next is the alchemical symbol for mercury & the planet Mercury.
Followed by Ergon, alchemical symbol for the right eye of the soul which is directed toward the eternal; conversely, this could be Parergon, the left eye of the soul that looks towards time.
Next to last is the symbol for lead & it also represents Saturn.
Under that is the Deathly Hallows symbol: Cloak, Stone, Wand

So cool!

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.

Last edited by Kat_Suki; December 7th, 2008 at 4:14 am.
Old December 7th, 2008, 6:01 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Four people going on a quest to get something; but what they want, they already have within them.
I liked this fairy tale for exactly this reason the most as well. It was a very true and very nice truth hidden behind it. All in all the story had some very warmth and kind atmosphere I think.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old December 8th, 2008, 9:02 am
Fifth Year

I LOVED this story - I think it was my favourite! Off-topic slightly, but is there/can we have a poll about everyone's favourite stories in the book? It'd be very interesting to see.

I think things I liked best about this story were its predictibility (is that a word?) and its memorability (word?:hmm). This one seems the most likely to enter Muggle fairytales, IMO.

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old December 8th, 2008, 3:07 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post
Off-topic slightly, but is there/can we have a poll about everyone's favourite stories in the book?
In progress.
ETA: done.

Last edited by Alastor; December 8th, 2008 at 5:22 pm.
Old December 8th, 2008, 8:36 pm
Fifth Year

Thank you! Wow, good service round here...let's see...please can you give us all lots of money?

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard