Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.8

View Poll Results: Snape's main feeling for James would be...
Loathing 25 15.53%
Contempt 16 9.94%
Envy 27 16.77%
Hatred 17 10.56%
Jealousy 59 36.65%
Regret 0 0%
You're evil for restricting the options and not even putting up my favourite. 17 10.56%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 13th, 2008, 9:20 pm
Second Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post

Nothing but a torn photograph, half a letter to someone he despises, and his memories of Lily.
Oh, don't... I cry like a faucet these days (can't watch TV anymore in case one of those ads against child or animal cruelty appears....)

Good lord, Snape would be sooo contemptuous!

Blessed be the Giver
Cursed be the Thief
May fortune smile
Upon the True
And Liars come
To Grief

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be (a) Simon Cowell or (b) scared or (c) just hasn't met me yet
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2008, 3:29 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9and3quarters View Post
Can a Tiger change their stripes in this aspect?
I agree that in ways people can change; and in HP we saw people change all the time in this or that way. However, I feel Snape had a sour disposition as a child, likely due to his home life - and continued to have one even at Hogwarts based on what we saw. Becoming a Death Eater didn't help I wouldn't imagine and by the time of his change in life, it seemed to be a fundamental character trait. I think if being around a lot of good siders for some eleven years, including Dumbledore, didn't work to change his disposition, nothing could have. I feel Snape's change came in the form of rejecting evil and then working through his Death Eater views he'd had since young.

But JKR wrote Snape to be that way and it allowed for a variance in the storyline. This is like Hagrid's personality, Fleurs or Lupins; Mundungus, Vernon, Sirius', the twins or Molly's. When they entered the scenario, it added a different flavor to the story in those moments to me, like Snape's, imo, overwhelmingly negative one did. JKR wrote a lot of strong personality types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
Nothing but a torn photograph, half a letter to someone he despises, and his memories of Lily.
I think the fact that he stole the photo and the letter, treasures belonging to someone else who would not have wished for Snape to have them, takes away from the sentimental aspect completely. Snape had his memories - possibly reduced in number because many of them were negative, but those are the memories he forged - his life and what he made of it. In my view, he attempted to steal someone else's happy memories (Harry and Sirius' of all people) to add to his own which in my opinion is an example of what JKR meant when she called Snape a small man. I appreciate that some people have pity for Snape in that regard, but it only makes me see Snape as extremly selfish, obsessed with his vision of Lily and morally deficient.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; August 14th, 2008 at 3:25 pm.
Old August 14th, 2008, 6:57 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
In my view, he attempted to steal someone else's happy memories (Harry and Sirius' of all people) to add to his own which in my opinion is an example of what JKR meant when she called Snape a small man. I appreciate that some people have pity for Snape in that regard, but it only makes me see Snape as extremly selfish, obsessed with his vision of Lily and morally deficient.
Hmm.... I know what you mean....but I'd prefer to see it as profound loneliness which clouds all other things from his mind when thinking about Lily (and I was the one who called him selfish above - and here I am defending him! go figure!) .

And I don't think they were happy memories for him ; not in the usual sense of "happy" at least. Because the one thing about his relationship with Lily that always strikes me is how it underscores his aloneness and emotional illiteracy.The memory scenes are about regret ("Mudblood" comment) or failures in communication. Ultimately, they're about his personality and moral choices having failed to attach her, aren't they? The biggest failure and grief in his life - and at the same time, ironically, the happiest (what's the betting that his thought when conjuring the Patronus is about her, of course?).

I guess we could debate forever whether what he felt for her was "love", since that word covers a multitude of virtues and sins.....

Blessed be the Giver
Cursed be the Thief
May fortune smile
Upon the True
And Liars come
To Grief

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be (a) Simon Cowell or (b) scared or (c) just hasn't met me yet
Old August 14th, 2008, 7:35 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewberryblu View Post
Hmm.... I know what you mean....but I'd prefer to see it as profound loneliness which clouds all other things from his mind when thinking about Lily (and I was the one who called him selfish above - and here I am defending him! go figure!) .
Well it is expected in discussions; especially with ambivalent characters.

I respect your viewpoint; I look at Snape like all of the other characters though. For example, I don't consider Mundungus' profound need for money as likely clouding all other things from his mind. To me he was simply a thief, lacking morals and indifferent to the fact that what he was taking didn't belong to him and might have value to another beyond its monetary worth. I see Snape's action in the same way. To me, Snape's mind wasn't so clouded that everything else was wiped from his mind. After ripping the photograph in two, the text reads that Snape placed it with the 1/2 letter into his robes "throwing the portion showing James and Harry back onto the floor, under the chest of drawers." In my view, a person acting with the focus you spoke of where all things are wiped from the mind, would perhaps simply allow the 1/2 photo to fall to the ground, or unconsciously place it on the dresser - but JKR indicates he threw it and the gesture says to me that it was a conscious decision; especially in light of the fact that he loathed both of the people in that portion of the photograph.

Snape stole a picture of Lily smiling while watching her son play as he was chased by her husband - that was captured in a photograph and given to Harry as a treasured keepsake because the photos of such moments are rare or more likely non-existent and Harry has no memory of them. In my judgment, Snape wished to have that smile shine upon him so that he could create a happy make-believe moment for himself. I think he either neglected to consider or disregarded the fact that he'd assisted in taking Harry's parents away from him in the first place, and I feel he added to that pain by stealing this treasured momento for his selfish purpose. That is the type of consideration that I feel Snape should have taken into account.

Another factor that Snape didn't appear to take into account was that someone from the Order could have walked in on him. Believing he'd killed Dumbledore, they would attempt to arrest or kill him and what would Snape do in such a circumstance? Harm or kill them in self-defense? Blow his cover by sharing the truth against Dumbledore's wishes? Was this risk really worth stealing a photo and 1/2 letter - on top of all of the other reasons, imo, he should not have taken them?

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; August 14th, 2008 at 8:02 pm.
Old August 14th, 2008, 8:43 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I feel he added to that pain by stealing this treasured momento for his selfish purpose. That is the type of consideration that I feel Snape should have taken into account.

Another factor that Snape didn't appear to take into account was that someone from the Order could have walked in on him. Was this risk really worth stealing a photo and 1/2 letter - on top of all of the other reasons, imo, he should not have taken them?
But both points assume a level of conscious, rational thought being put into use, I suspect ........I'm not convinced that he was thinking rationally at that point or would even have examined the impulse which made him take the photo. A craving is a craving, no? A subsconscious, or at best, semi-conscious impulse?

And I don't think Harry's loss even featured on his mental or emotional horizon.....he just wanted to possess what remained of Lily....

I suppose what I'm saying is that Snape is a schismatic character -presenting as rigidly logical, rational, intellectual (as well as brilliant in practice) but surging underneath all of that control and disdain for the uncontrollable world of emotion is one of the most emotional characters in the book - and when that self-control slips, it really slips in a big way and takes him out of himself.

I really am trying not to romanticise him, you know!

Blessed be the Giver
Cursed be the Thief
May fortune smile
Upon the True
And Liars come
To Grief

Old August 14th, 2008, 8:59 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
But both points assume a level of conscious, rational thought being put into use, I suspect ........I'm not convinced that he was thinking rationally at that point or would even have examined the impulse which made him take the photo. A craving is a craving, no? A subsconscious, or at best, semi-conscious impulse?

And I don't think Harry's loss even featured on his mental or emotional horizon.....he just wanted to possess what remained of Lily....

I suppose what I'm saying is that Snape is a schismatic character -presenting as rigidly logical, rational, intellectual (as well as brilliant in practice) but surging underneath all of that control and disdain for the uncontrollable world of emotion is one of the most emotional characters in the book - and when that self-control slips, it really slips in a big way and takes him out of himself.

. I understand and respect what you are saying, but we'd prolly just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm pretty much out of quarters when it comes to Snape.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; August 14th, 2008 at 9:03 pm.
Old August 14th, 2008, 9:31 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:

It's a good point imo.

It provides the perfect reason for his distain for sentimentality - The simple fact that he spends so much of his time and energy trying to contain his own. That he sees it as something that is so overwhelming that it could destroy him gives him apmle reason to loath and distrust it in others.

I find this a very realistic possibility.

My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittling View Post
It provides the perfect reason for his distain for sentimentality - The simple fact that he spends so much of his time and energy trying to contain his own. That he sees it as something that is so overwhelming that it could destroy him gives him apmle reason to loath and distrust it in others.
His life circumstances would make such a belief logical, I would point out. It literally could destroy him. If Voldemort should ever have a hint of it, Snape's story (he's over Lily, he understands why Voldemort had to kill her, she was just an object of desire) would collapse.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old August 15th, 2008, 8:53 pm
Second Year

Absolutely - but I think the suggestion of emotional repression is there even in his childhood, as he skims over Lily's question about his terrible home life by merely saying "Fine"...

I noticed a colleague had GoF on her desk today and asked her about it; she has never read the HP books.....pause for stupendous shock

She has deliberately avoided them because she felt the media frenzy and hype probably meant they weren't very good....but having read PoA she has totally fallen in love with the series and has got to GoF.

I asked her if she thought Snape was on the side of good or bad, or somewhere in between and her view was that he was involved in an elaborate double (triple?) bluff - that we are meant to think he was bad, converted to good, but will turn out to have been Voldy's man all along...I just nodded and smiled, of course....

But you know what ? I was sooooo envious of the experience she is having of reading the series for the first time and not knowing the outcome.....know what I mean? sigh....

Blessed be the Giver
Cursed be the Thief
May fortune smile
Upon the True
And Liars come
To Grief

Old August 15th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Absolutely - but I think the suggestion of emotional repression is there even in his childhood, as he skims over Lily's question about his terrible home life by merely saying "Fine"...
As he tears the leaves in his hands, yes.

Quote:
But you know what ? I was sooooo envious of the experience she is having of reading the series for the first time and not knowing the outcome.....know what I mean? sigh....
Never again. Though, I will read it to my sons, so I can watch them go through itm anyway. That, and rereading with the certainty of what was happening with Snape and Albus, is sort of interesting too. Certain things just look and feel differently. The last third of PoA especially, for me.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old August 15th, 2008, 9:10 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I feel the same way about all HP, really. All the twists and mysteries are solved, and that sort of suspense will never be there again...

But at least it's nice to know that as we speak, other readers are going on the same journey we took...and perhaps thinking "What is up with that Snape guy? "

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old August 15th, 2008, 9:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
But at least it's nice to know that as we speak, other readers are going on the same journey we took...and perhaps thinking "What is up with that Snape guy? "
When I first read them I thought, about Snape, "Jeezalu, I would totally fall for him in RL"....and then realised how sick that was and why I am single....

Blessed be the Giver
Cursed be the Thief
May fortune smile
Upon the True
And Liars come
To Grief

Old August 15th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Quote:
When I first read them I thought, about Snape, "Jeezalu, I would totally fall for him in RL"....and then realised how sick that was and why I am single....
It's wrong to fall for Snape?

Oops. Too late.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old August 15th, 2008, 9:31 pm
Inconceivable!

Very interesting discussion.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old August 15th, 2008, 9:33 pm

Sorry Susan. I couldn't resist.

Maybe a scene from the books?

Quote:
"So..." said Snape softly. "We'll see about this...."

He strode across to his fire, seized a fistful of glittering powder from a jar on the fireplace, and threw it into the flames.

"Lupin!" Snape called into the fire. "I want a word!"

Utterly bewildered, Harry stared at the fire. A large shape had appeared in it, revolving very fast. Seconds later, Professor Lupin was clambering out of the fireplace, brushing ash off his shabby robes.

"You called, Severus?" said Lupin mildly.

"I certainly did," said Snape, his face contorted with fury as he strode back to his desk. "I have just asked Potter to empty his pockets. He was carrying this."

Snape pointed at the parchment, on which the words of Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs were still shining. An odd, closed expression appeared on Lupin's face.

"Well?" said Snape.

Lupin continued to stare at the map. Harry had the impression that Lupin was doing some very quick thinking.

"Well?" said Snape again. "This parchment is plainly full of Dark Magic. This is supposed to be your area of expertise, Lupin. Where do you imagine Potter got such a thing?"

Lupin looked up and, by the merest half-glance in Harry's direction, warned him not to interrupt.

"Full of Dark Magic?" he repeated mildly. "Do you really think so, Severus? It looks to me as though it is merely a piece of parchment that insults anybody who reads it. Childish, but surely not dangerous? I imagine Harry got it from a joke shop --"

"Indeed?" said Snape. His jaw had gone rigid with anger. "You think a joke shop could supply him with such a thing? You don't think it more likely that he got it directly from the manufacturers?"

Harry didn't understand what Snape was talking about. Nor, apparently, did Lupin.

"You mean, by Mr. Wormtail or one of these people?" he said. "Harry, do you know any of these men?"

"No," said Harry quickly.

"You see, Severus?" said Lupin, turning back to Snape. "It looks like a Zonko product to me --"

Right on cue, Ron came bursting into the office. He was completely out of breath, and stopped just short of Snape's desk, clutching the stitch in his chest and trying to speak.

"I -- gave -- Harry -- that -- stuff," he choked. "Bought -- it... in Zonko's... ages -- ago..."

"Well!" said Lupin, clapping his hands together and looking around cheerfully. "That seems to clear that up! Severus, I'll take this back, shall I?" He folded the map and tucked it inside his robes. "Harry, Ron, come with me, I need a word about my vampire essay -- excuse us, Severus --"

Harry didn't dare look at Snape as they left his office. He. Ron, and Lupin walked all the way back into the entrance hall before speaking. Then Harry turned to Lupin.
What's Snape thinking here?
How worried about Harry was he?
How much did his rivalry with the Marauders play into this?
Other thoughts?

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me

Last edited by ignisia; August 15th, 2008 at 9:38 pm.
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:04 pm
First Year

This time a quotation from CoS:    

Goyle's potion exploded, showering the whole class. People shrieked as splashes of the Swelling Solution hit them. Malfoy got a faceful and his nose began to swell like a balloon; Goyle blundered around, his hands over his eyes, which had expanded to the size of a dinner plate - Snape was trying to restore calm and find out what had happened. Through the confusion, Harry saw Hermione slip quietly into Snape's office.

"Silence! SILENCE!" Snape roared. "Anyone who has been splashed, come here for a Deflating Draft - when I find out who did this -"

Harry tried not to laugh as he watched Malfoy hurry forward, his head drooping with the weight of a nose like a small melon. As half the class lumbered up to Snape's desk, some weighted down with arms like clubs, others unable to talk through gigantic puffedup lips, Harry saw Hermione slide back into the dungeon, the front of her robes bulging.

When everyone had taken a swig of antidote and the various swellings had subsided, Snape swept over to Goyle's cauldron and scooped out the twisted black remains of the firework. There was a sudden hush.

"If I ever find out who threw this," Snape whispered, "I shall make sure that person is expelled."

Harry arranged his face into what he hoped was a puzzled expression. Snape was looking right at him, and the bell that rang ten minutes later could not have been more welcome.

"He knew it was me," Harry told Ron and Hermione as they hurried back to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. "I could tell."

Hermione threw the new ingredients into the cauldron and began to stir feverishly.

"It'll be ready in two weeks," she said happily.

"Snape can't prove it was you," said Ron reassuringly to Harry. "What can he do?"

"Knowing Snape, something foul," said Harry as the potion frothed and bubbled.

Quote:
  • Do you interpret this scene differently after DH?
  • Was Snape's reaction possibly influenced by his feud with James Potter?
I read this scene differently when I re-read the series after finishing OotP... because I knew for certain at that point that Prof. Snape was a master Legilimens and Occlumens (sp?). It was clear that Prof. Snape knew Harry was to blame for the firecracker, but that he did nothing to actually discipline Harry for it. I also suspect that Prof. Snape noticed Hermione going into his storage cupboard - not just because he can read minds, but also because he is an experienced teacher. After reading this scene I wondered how much Snape knew about the Polyjuice Potion and the Trio's attempts to learn more about the CoS.

I don't think that Prof. Snape's reaction was coloured by his interactions and conflict with James, but rather his interaction and lingering feelings for Lily. It is my own opinion that in this case, like others in the books, that Snape is actually testing Harry to see if he is like his father - whom he looks like - or like his mother - whom he acts like. I think that if Snape is reacting emotionally, it is because in Harry he sees so much of the woman that he loved when he was at Hogwarts.

Quote:
Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?
I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean by "moved on" here... but I will try to answer the question as I see it I think that if Lily and Harry had lived, but James had died, I think that Snape would have felt a mix of emotions because James would be dead - no more bullying or arrogance possible on his part - and he might wonder if he could try to have a relationship with her again.

I don't think that relationship would necessarrily be romantic, but I think that Snape would want to try to re-connect with the one person who had made his adolescence bearable. I definately think he would have tried to communicate his remorse over the "mudblood" slur and that he would have helped Dumbledore and the Order to defeat Voldemort. I think that The Dark Lord nearly kiling his sweetheart would be what would turn him.

Prof. Snape may not be very expressive of his feelings and emotions, but he still has them... and I think those emotions and feelings are what ultimately led him to seperate from Voldemort and side with Dumbledore and the Order.

Quote:
Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius.
This made me consider that I had been right about Snape all along, which made me happy. I also thought that it made Prof. Snape that much more interesting as a character, as I think he is the most powerful and intelligent Wizard in the whole series. Much like Dumbledore, Snape's feelings and emotions caused him to hurt someone he loved deeply (calling Lily a "mudblood") and the guilt and remorse associated with that whole event stayed with Prof. Snape for the rest of his life... and I think that it is what gave him such strength and courage. I believe that Snape's love for Lily is what saved him in the end.

Quote:
Why do you think Snape chose to become a Death Eater?
I think that Snape became a Death Eater because he was desperate to belong, to feel connection, support, stregnth, acceptance and community. Because Severus grew up in a very disfunctional home, where there was both spousal and child abuse, he was a very wounded individual. I think being a Death Eater was for Snape a chance to be part of a "family" with a "father figure" - which is sad to me because it was such a dysfunctional family model!

Like Harry's treatment at the hands of the Dursleys, the treatment that Severus recieved during childhood in many ways deprived him of a chance to grow in empathy and social abilities. He had to be tough because in his home environment, any weakness was exploited and used to bring humiliation and pain to the weak. I think from what Severus experienced in his childhood that he could have been as bad as Voldemort, if not more so, as I think Snape was a genius, whereas Voldie was a sociopath/psychopath of average intelligence.

Quote:
How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?
The revelations of OotP, HBP, and DH all convinced me that from the very beginning in PS when Hermione told everyone that Snape was helping and protecting them, she was right. Snape was protecting Harry and Neville in his own dysfunctional and cynical way, and that he did it because they didn't have parents to protect them. I think Severus really connected with that because of his own childhood, and he was trying to be some kind of a father to them.

Quote:
Do you believe Snape came to care about Harry?
I think Severus cared about Harry from his birth because he was Lily's son. I think that he wanted to protect Harry in a way his father couldn't, as a way to honour Lily's memory and life.

Quote:
What do you think about Snape's relationship with Dumbledore? Did they become friends or was Dumbledore a substitute father figure for him?
I think that Dumbledore knew about Severus' wound, about what he had to endure growing up, and knew that he was looking for acceptance and a family. I think this is why Dumbledore knew that Snape was not really evil - he wanted connection with others, which is the opposite of what Dumbledore always emphasized about Voldemort... DD always pointed out that the Dark Lord wanted to be completely autonomous, independent, unique and unencumbered by emotional and physical attachments. That is the opposite of what Snape wanted and felt.

I think that Dumbledore and Severus' relationship may have begun as being superior/inferior or headmaster/professor as that is what Severus wanted and needed at that time... I think he needed a mentor type relationship to help him work through his "father baggage" at that point in his life. I think that the relationship may have developed over time to one in which Dumbledore saw Snape as an equal - a fellow professor and wizard - which is something Voldemort would not have ever done. Viewing Snape as an equal would be a sign of honour and would show Snape that DD trusted him and viewed him as a competent individual.

Quote:
Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere?
Yes, and I think it is a good thing he was sorted into Slytherin. Snape is the biggest hero in the series behind Harry (IMO) and it helps to remove the bad name that Voldemort and the Death Eaters gave to Slytherin house. (This may just be because I always get sorted into Slytherin!

I voted contempt by the way, as I agree with others in the thread that Snape likely only felt jealousy later on when James and Lily hooked up... before that I think he only felt contempt for James. IMO the contempt came from James having so much and taking it all for granted while picking on and bullying those who had less. I also felt contempt for James after reading OotP because he was such an arrogant jerk... and I even felt sorry for Harry, as it might've been better if he had never "met" his father at all rather than seeing those actions of him.

Quote:
It's wrong to fall for Snape?

Oops. Too late.
Hey, he's smart, liked dark cool places, is either an INTP or INTJ on the Myer's - Brigg's Scale, and has a dark sense of humour... just my type. Oh yeh, and he has a snazzy black wardrobe. If only he would tolerate a SO who loves ice hockey, I coulda had a major crush on him. (tee heee)

PROUD DEFENDER OF SNAPE SINCE OotP!!!

Your in-depth results are:
Slytherin - 13 Ravenclaw - 11
Gryffindor - 11 Hufflepuff - 8

Yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often. Best to say nothing at all, my dear man.

Last edited by Prof_Weasle; August 15th, 2008 at 11:16 pm.
Old August 16th, 2008, 7:17 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Weasle View Post
as I think he is the most powerful and intelligent Wizard in the whole series.
I truly think that title goes to Dumbledore.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old August 16th, 2008, 8:21 am
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
What's Snape thinking here?
Livid about the Marauders, I think.

Snape by then must have guessed correctly that it was a map of Hogwarts and that Harry had used it to go to Hogsmeade.

Snape could have very easily kept the map with himself. Harry could not have done a single thing about it IMO. I think that Snape called Lupin, because he wanted to return the Map to Harry once Black was arrested IMO.

If Snape had the map with him, then he would not have been able to return it to Harry, because there was no way he could approach Harry and hand the map which had insulted him so. That would reflect Snape poorly with Harry and indeed with others IMO.

So, I think Snape called Lupin, who he knew would definitely make sure that the map was confiscated and so Harry would not go into Hogsmeade and therefore be safe, and Lupin would also give the map to Harry once Black was arrested, and, Lupin would also use the Map to check for Black. Snape knew that Lupin would never reveal how the map worked to him, so he did the next best thing.

I think this was why Snape was so very angry, when Black was captured. Lupin had the Map and Snape must have felt that he was protecting Sirius and Peter (because Lupin also never sees Peter and reports to Dumbeldroe).

So I think Lupin failed the test of trust with Snape and Snape outed him (at the end of the year) IMO.

Quote:
How worried about Harry was he?
He was worried about Harry, which is why he called Lupin in the first place IMO.

Quote:
How much did his rivalry with the Marauders play into this?
Other thoughts?
It did not play at all IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
I truly think that title goes to Dumbledore.
I think Dumbledore, Snape and Voldmeort were the three most powerful and intelligent wizards in the HP universe, in that order I mean.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old August 16th, 2008, 9:09 am
The Next Great Adventurer

We've had others size up both Dumbledore and Voldemort as students. Griselda Marchbanks said Dumbledore did things with a wand that she had never seen before, and she's certainly done her share of testing students. And Dumbledore thought Tom Riddle was the most brilliant student that Hogwarts had ever seen. But I can't remember anyone sizing up Snape's abilities that way--other than Ron saying the Prince was brilliant, and Ron was hardly the one to size up magical ability.

Snape was obviously a talented wizard, but we can't know that he was in Dumbledore's league. We know he was an accomplished Occlumens since he was able to conceal his role as a spy from Voldemort. And he did invent a few spells, but other wizards have done the same or there wouldn't be spells. However, we don't know what the remaining wizarding world was doing in the way of creating spells. Therefore, we have no idea if what Snape did as a student was extraordinary.

For instance, the Marauders created the map and it's an amazing tool. And they became Animagi as students, which was also a difficult accomplishment. Also we've been told the Marauders were bright students at the top of the class, which is more than we've heard about Snape. This isn't intended as a Marauders vs. Snape comment, rather it illustrates that we have evidence that shows that Snape was bright and talented, but no evidence that he was extraordinary like Dumbledore or Voldemort. So lacking a reliable assessment from another character in the story, we can't know exactly where on the spectrum his abilities lie.

Sometimes dreams do come true

Last edited by ComicBookWorm; August 16th, 2008 at 9:12 am.
Old August 16th, 2008, 9:41 am
Always Indy's Girl

Snape, I felt was the better than Voldemort, because yhe was able to fool Voldmeort for over 18 years. His brilliance could be seen in the Potions book and his mastery in 2 subjects at least; Potions and DADA, not to mention knowledge of the Dark Arts, Occlumency and Legilimency and he could fly.

No one really spoke highly of him, because we were seeing everything through Harry's eyes and we all know what Harry thought of him until he saw the memories.

Snape was also the only person Dumbledore trusted, as much as he trusted another anyway, I supoose.

So I concluded that Snape was indeed better than Voldmeort and ranked 2nd only to Dumbledore.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References