Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1081  
Old August 9th, 2011, 1:35 am
RemusLupinFan's Avatar
RemusLupinFan  Female.gif RemusLupinFan is offline
I want to believe
 
Joined: 5797 days
Location: The office in the basement
Posts: 5,897
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

I have a feeling Remus didn't really know that Snape and Lily were the best of friends. Since Lily wasn't part of the Marauders' circle of friends, and Snape was, well, not one of his friends, I don't think he'd have paid that much attention to the association between Snape and Lily.


On another note, in re-reading PoA, I'm noticing that Remus really makes an effort to (I think) get to know Harry and check up on him to make sure he's ok. First, when Hermione and Ron go to Hogsmeade, he invites Harry into his office for tea. This is the first time he gets to speak to Harry alone. I have a feeling he was probably very curious to know what Harry was like. During this meeting, I think both characters gain additional respect for one another, with Harry finding out that Remus says Voldemort's name, and with Remus discovering that Harry's greatest fear is fear itself.

Later, after Remus returns from being ill after the Quidditch match, he offers Harry his sympathies regarding the match and his destroyed broom. I like how he allays Harry's self doubts that he is weak by telling him why the dementors affect him so badly. It must have been really disconcerting to Lupin when Harry tells him what he experiences when the dementors get near him. The sudden motion he makes as if to grip Harry's arm says that he would like to have comforted Harry, but likely decided it was inappropriate.

I'm sure there are more instances, but this is as far as I've gotten in the book.


__________________

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #1082  
Old August 10th, 2011, 9:33 pm
hpfan101's Avatar
hpfan101  Female.gif hpfan101 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5198 days
Location: RoR Retrieving the HBP's book
Posts: 911
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I have a feeling Remus didn't really know that Snape and Lily were the best of friends. Since Lily wasn't part of the Marauders' circle of friends, and Snape was, well, not one of his friends, I don't think he'd have paid that much attention to the association between Snape and Lily.
Hmmm, I'm split on this. James clearly liked Lily in SWM, and it seemed that all of his friends knew this as well (based on Lupin/Sirius talking to Harry in OotP, where they said that James was always a bit of a fool around Lily). It's possible that James targeted Snape simply because Snape and Lily were friends (please note: I said possible :P) and he was jealous/wanted to humiliate Snape in front of Lily. Of course, it seems that James and Snape hated each other on site (per Sirius and Lupin in OotP) so they probably hexed each other regardless of who was around! So if Snape and James/Sirius were constantly hexing each other, I think that the Marauders would have, at some point, seen Snape and Lily together, especially since SWM occurs after the OWLs in their fifth year. Five years of friendship is kind of hard to ignore.

But....I do agree it's possible that Lupin did not notice. I think he would have, of all of the Marauders, cared the least of what Snape and Lily were doing/who they were hanging out with.


Quote:
On another note, in re-reading PoA, I'm noticing that Remus really makes an effort to (I think) get to know Harry and check up on him to make sure he's ok. First, when Hermione and Ron go to Hogsmeade, he invites Harry into his office for tea. This is the first time he gets to speak to Harry alone. I have a feeling he was probably very curious to know what Harry was like. During this meeting, I think both characters gain additional respect for one another, with Harry finding out that Remus says Voldemort's name, and with Remus discovering that Harry's greatest fear is fear itself.
I noticed this as well and it's one of the reasons I respect the adult Lupin and actually prefer his relationship with Harry to Sirius'. He notices that Harry is similar to James in many ways, but he does not mistake Harry for James. He sees Harry as an individual. I have no doubt that when he started working at Hogwarts, Lupin was probably very curious about Harry.

I've always wondered why Harry and Lupin did not seem to be as close as Harry and Sirius. Lupin was also one of his father's best friends, but Harry was immediately drawn to Sirius, not Lupin. Lupin strikes me as more calm and measuring, the kind of person who would give rational, sound advice.


__________________


Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Reply With Quote
  #1083  
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:50 pm
maraudersnitch  Female.gif maraudersnitch is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3164 days
Age: 26
Posts: 14
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

I may be straying a bit from the original premise of this thread...and I apologize if this has been discussed already here (or elsewhere) but...

Does anyone have any theories as to why James/Sirius suspected that Lupin was the traitor in their group before the murder of Lily and James? I mean, from my perspective, I'd have thought it would be quite clear that if one of them was leaking information to Voldemort, it would be Peter. Surely they had all spent enough time with him to realize he was a bit of a coward. So why would they think it was Lupin? I believe Lupin mentions at one point in DH that James would always trust his friends beyond the shadow of a doubt unless he had real reason not to.


__________________
"Reading between the lines, I'd say she thinks you're a bit conceited, mate."
Reply With Quote
  #1084  
Old August 11th, 2011, 7:48 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5418 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraudersnitch View Post
I may be straying a bit from the original premise of this thread...and I apologize if this has been discussed already here (or elsewhere) but...

Does anyone have any theories as to why James/Sirius suspected that Lupin was the traitor in their group before the murder of Lily and James? I mean, from my perspective, I'd have thought it would be quite clear that if one of them was leaking information to Voldemort, it would be Peter. Surely they had all spent enough time with him to realize he was a bit of a coward. So why would they think it was Lupin? I believe Lupin mentions at one point in DH that James would always trust his friends beyond the shadow of a doubt unless he had real reason not to.
I always assumed that Peter was constantly around while Remus may not have been if Dumbledore used him to gain the trust of other werewolves in the first war as well. And if Peter dropped a suspicion here and a little remark there, this may have added up to Remus looking highly suspicious.


Reply With Quote
  #1085  
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:07 am
kittling's Avatar
kittling  Female.gif kittling is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4397 days
Location: UK
Posts: 1,071
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraudersnitch View Post
I may be straying a bit from the original premise of this thread...and I apologize if this has been discussed already here (or elsewhere) but...

Does anyone have any theories as to why James/Sirius suspected that Lupin was the traitor in their group before the murder of Lily and James? I mean, from my perspective, I'd have thought it would be quite clear that if one of them was leaking information to Voldemort, it would be Peter. Surely they had all spent enough time with him to realize he was a bit of a coward. So why would they think it was Lupin? I believe Lupin mentions at one point in DH that James would always trust his friends beyond the shadow of a doubt unless he had real reason not to.
What Moriath said but I think it is also possible that however much James & Sirius believed they didn't hold his being a werewolf against Lupin that this did add weight to thier suspicions &/or was used by Peter - after all in this series nobody is all good (or all bad except LV)


__________________


My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
Reply With Quote
  #1086  
Old August 16th, 2011, 9:53 pm
missbrunettgirl  Female.gif missbrunettgirl is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4772 days
Location: the south
Age: 27
Posts: 107
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
I've always wondered why Harry and Lupin did not seem to be as close as Harry and Sirius. Lupin was also one of his father's best friends, but Harry was immediately drawn to Sirius, not Lupin. Lupin strikes me as more calm and measuring, the kind of person who would give rational, sound advice.
I think that this was the case because Sirius was a lot like a kid himself being locked up for so long and that's why he and Harry got a long well because they were on the same page on a maturity level. With Remus the relationship always felt like he was the adult and Harry the adolescent. I think that if Remus had lived and when Harry got older the relationship would have perhaps been closer


__________________

Pottermore House
Wand: Elder, Unicorn Tail, 14 1/2, hard.
Reply With Quote
  #1087  
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:27 pm
iluvsnape17  Female.gif iluvsnape17 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4551 days
Location: in the blue room
Age: 24
Posts: 359
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Is it true that JKR said that Lupin is bisexual. I've found a quote saying: “For those of you asking, Lupin was bisexual and David Thewlis was told to play him as a gay man in POA.” but I don't know if it's genuine.

I'm hoping it is - I've always seen him as bisexual anyway.


__________________
'You're too old to be so shy'

[center]SEEING OTHER PEOPLE
~Rose and Scorpius' story about love~
Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:31 pm
missbrunettgirl  Female.gif missbrunettgirl is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4772 days
Location: the south
Age: 27
Posts: 107
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsnape17 View Post
Is it true that JKR said that Lupin is bisexual. I've found a quote saying: “For those of you asking, Lupin was bisexual and David Thewlis was told to play him as a gay man in POA.” but I don't know if it's genuine.

I'm hoping it is - I've always seen him as bisexual anyway.
Well I haven't heard that so I don't know if it's legit or not. I did read that JKR said that him being a werewolf was a metaphor for the stigma of illness and AIDS. Other than that his sexuality is up to conjecture.


__________________

Pottermore House
Wand: Elder, Unicorn Tail, 14 1/2, hard.
Reply With Quote
  #1089  
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:24 am
snapes_witch's Avatar
snapes_witch  Female.gif snapes_witch is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5287 days
Location: afternoon tea at Granny's
Posts: 2,973
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsnape17 View Post
Is it true that JKR said that Lupin is bisexual. I've found a quote saying: “For those of you asking, Lupin was bisexual and David Thewlis was told to play him as a gay man in POA.” but I don't know if it's genuine.

I'm hoping it is - I've always seen him as bisexual anyway.
I don't recall JKR ever saying that. Recently it was reported that Cuaron suggested this to Thewlis for PoA. I don't recall the source, but it seemed to be legit.


__________________

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Reply With Quote
  #1090  
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:53 am
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4639 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbrunettgirl View Post
Well I haven't heard that so I don't know if it's legit or not. I did read that JKR said that him being a werewolf was a metaphor for the stigma of illness and AIDS. Other than that his sexuality is up to conjecture.
This is Rowlings quote about Lupin:

Quote:
Professor Lupin is a "damaged person, literally and metaphorically. [....] His being a werewolf is really a metaphor for people's reactions to illness and disability." Conversations with JK Rowling, p. 40


She did not make a specific mention of AIDS.

David Thewlis did say in interview that Cuaron did direct him to play Lupin as gay and he thought that he was until Rowling made it clear that Lupin was in love with Tonks.


Reply With Quote
  #1091  
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:58 am
ardnaxela  Female.gif ardnaxela is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5871 days
Location: Grimmauld Place
Posts: 98
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
This is Rowlings quote about Lupin:



She did not make a specific mention of AIDS.

David Thewlis did say in interview that Cuaron did direct him to play Lupin as gay and he thought that he was until Rowling made it clear that Lupin was in love with Tonks.
That's really interesting about Cauron. I always had the impression - and I know I am not the only one -that Cauron implied in POA that Lupin was in love with Lily.


__________________
Pottermore Username = UnicornCharm
Reply With Quote
  #1092  
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:14 pm
iluvsnape17  Female.gif iluvsnape17 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4551 days
Location: in the blue room
Age: 24
Posts: 359
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnaxela View Post
That's really interesting about Cauron. I always had the impression - and I know I am not the only one -that Cauron implied in POA that Lupin was in love with Lily.
Yeah one of my friends said that too. When he talks about her 'uncommon kindness', but my friend reckoned that everyone was a bit in love with Lily.


__________________
'You're too old to be so shy'

[center]SEEING OTHER PEOPLE
~Rose and Scorpius' story about love~
Reply With Quote
  #1093  
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:18 pm
ardnaxela  Female.gif ardnaxela is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5871 days
Location: Grimmauld Place
Posts: 98
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsnape17 View Post
Yeah one of my friends said that too. When he talks about her 'uncommon kindness', but my friend reckoned that everyone was a bit in love with Lily.
haha alot of people have that opinion! Slughorn and Sirius are 2 others I've heard.

For me it wasn't so much what he said, it was the fact that they focused on his relationship/friendship with Lily and left out the info about the Marauders - implying, to me, in the films that his relationship with Lily was more important than his relationship with the other marauders.


__________________
Pottermore Username = UnicornCharm
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old August 17th, 2011, 1:28 pm
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4639 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnaxela View Post
haha alot of people have that opinion! Slughorn and Sirius are 2 others I've heard.

For me it wasn't so much what he said, it was the fact that they focused on his relationship/friendship with Lily and left out the info about the Marauders - implying, to me, in the films that his relationship with Lily was more important than his relationship with the other marauders.
All the films have been guilty of bad adaptations. I don't think any of the films have been faithful to the text. POA was a very good film but not that great an adaptation.



Last edited by eliza101; August 17th, 2011 at 1:33 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old August 17th, 2011, 8:31 pm
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5418 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

*checks thread* Yes, Legilimency Studies. Which is where we discuss the characters as they appear in the books. The movies are off topic here. Please discuss them in Muggle Studies.


Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old August 17th, 2011, 9:00 pm
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4639 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
*checks thread* Yes, Legilimency Studies. Which is where we discuss the characters as they appear in the books. The movies are off topic here. Please discuss them in Muggle Studies.
Sorry, I really am. I forget about Muggle Studies, thanks for the reminder.


Reply With Quote
  #1097  
Old August 18th, 2011, 3:44 am
HedwigOwl's Avatar
HedwigOwl  Female.gif HedwigOwl is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 5693 days
Location: Surfing a Probability Wave
Posts: 6,970
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbrunettgirl View Post
I think that this was the case because Sirius was a lot like a kid himself being locked up for so long and that's why he and Harry got a long well because they were on the same page on a maturity level. With Remus the relationship always felt like he was the adult and Harry the adolescent. I think that if Remus had lived and when Harry got older the relationship would have perhaps been closer
Harry was close to Lupin; you'll recall that Lupin was included in the "resurrection stone" group (those closest to Harry's heart).


__________________
http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/401694897da473df47.png[/img]
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...

....I miss David Tennant....
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:48 am
missbrunettgirl  Female.gif missbrunettgirl is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4772 days
Location: the south
Age: 27
Posts: 107
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Harry was close to Lupin; you'll recall that Lupin was included in the "resurrection stone" group (those closest to Harry's heart).
Harry was defiantly close to Lupin but I think if Lupin had lived and Harry grew up and matured the relationship would have changed and Harry would have been on equal footing with Lupin =)


__________________

Pottermore House
Wand: Elder, Unicorn Tail, 14 1/2, hard.
Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old November 5th, 2011, 6:03 pm
Justincase  Female.gif Justincase is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3193 days
Location: Spain
Age: 23
Posts: 155
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Something that always surprises me is how fans talk about Remus always as a mature person. In my opinion he's just as immature as Sirius is. When he was at school he may had been the most mature of them all but now he's not anymore. I like to think about it as just as immature as Sirius but turning out to be just the opposite. They all had horrors in their lives. They're childhoods were marked by a terrible family and the 'curse' of being a werewolf and then, at their early twenties, they had to face the dead of a friend and the fact that he had been killed by another friend. Sirius reacted to this turning to be very daring and not caring about rules or not even death while Remus became (although he had already been like this for a while then) unnervingly careful with everything and absolutely non self confident. I think you can see how really immature he was when in DH he's scared off at the prospect of having a children and tries to run away with the Trio. He had the kind of reaction a teenager would have. I think it's finally Tonks and having a son that make him become an adult. What do you guys think?


__________________
'No story lives unless someone wants to read it. The stories we love best DO live in us forever. So whether you come by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you HOME.' - J.K.Rowling.
'And I just wanna say that, amm... I've loved every minute and thank you all very very much' -Dan Radcliffe

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Proud member of the POTTERMORE BATTALION
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old November 7th, 2011, 8:59 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5418 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justincase View Post
I think you can see how really immature he was when in DH he's scared off at the prospect of having a children and tries to run away with the Trio. He had the kind of reaction a teenager would have. I think it's finally Tonks and having a son that make him become an adult. What do you guys think?
I would not call it immature. It isn't a decision that gains him any brownie points in my book but it's made by a character with low self-esteem who's been discriminated against all his life. One can see the same pattern when it comes to Harry. Remus does not contact Harry before Dumbledore calls on him to be the DADA teacher. And even though they grow closer and Harry holds him in high regard, Remus withdraws immediately the moment Sirius appears in Harry's life. He seems to think that he has no right to be in Harry's life or anyone's really. I think his reasons for not wanting to be with Tonks and their child are valid on their own. It is dangerous for him to be around a baby. But of course he should have thought this through before agreeing to marry Tonks. When he leaves he doesn't do it because he doesn't want the responsibility but because he doesn't want to ruin Tonks and the baby's lives. It's a decision fuelled by panic and Harry's right to chastise him severely but, as I see it, it's a far cry from a teenage father running away from responsibility.


Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, remus lupin, the marauders


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:01 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.