Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

J.K.Rowling compared to Enid Blyton

Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:43 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape/Trapdoor Champion

J.K.Rowling compared to Enid Blyton

Who do you rate higher? j.k.rowling, enid blyton or you feel they cannot be compared.

I cried, when I saw the "It all ends!" banner!!

But now I know, it never will....
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2007, 1:18 pm
Sixth Year

Re: J.k.rowling Vs Enid Blyton

I think it's hard to compare the two now - it might have been possible after PS. Enid Blyton primarily wrote "traditional" children's books - fun adventures without any serious danger, where kids never grew up and celebrated their victory with lashings of ginger beer. I loved those books as a kid, and some fo them are great little adventures, but JKR has moved quite far away from that style of storytelling now.

Since about PoA, the HP books have really blurred the lines between "children's literature" and "young adult literature" - is it really possible to say OotP or HBP are kids' books? Death, snogging, racism, political commentary, depression, disillusionment, a general coming of age theme ... Although it isn't always handled with the grittiness of a lot of young adult fiction, the issues are always there, which is perhaps what makes it one of the most widely read series ever written - the issues add depth and seriousness for the teenage and adult readers, but it's written in such a way that it doesn't alienate children.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 1:58 pm
Suteki da ne

They can't be compared. They write about two different subjects, Blyton has written hundreds of books and stories, Rowling only one extremely successful series. Blyton wrote in the 40s, Rowling, the 90s and 00s. Sorry for ranting, but I can't see any way in which they can be compared. Sorry

If you change your mind
Old March 22nd, 2007, 2:01 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Well Ginny and Hermione certainly wont play mum and keep fixing Harry and Ron sandwiches and lashings of ginger beer, they've got better things to do.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 2:27 pm
Suteki da ne

Hehe could you imagine the look on their faces if Ron and Harry even suggested it

If you change your mind
Old March 22nd, 2007, 3:08 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
They can't be compared. They write about two different subjects, Blyton has written hundreds of books and stories, Rowling only one extremely successful series. Blyton wrote in the 40s, Rowling, the 90s and 00s. Sorry for ranting, but I can't see any way in which they can be compared. Sorry
I don't know if I agree with you. "Malory Towers" and "Twins at St. Clare's" are about British school kids dealing with friends and growing up- much like the HP novels, which are at their heart about growing up and dealing with monsters (be they puberty or trolls- interchangeable now thanks to Joss Whedon). And Blyton's "Famous Five" and "Secret Seven" books are about groups of school children who solve mysteries and have adventures. They may not seem directly related, but there are bits and pieces that are very similar. The character descriptions are telling- Anne Kirrin of the Famous Five could be Hermione.

I think they can be compared, if you look past the obvious lack of "abracadabra" in the Blyton's books. I think her characters created their own magic and the friendships are just as true.

And. um, ginger beer = butterbeer

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.

Last edited by Lillbet; March 22nd, 2007 at 3:31 pm. Reason: oopsie!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 3:48 pm
First Year

Re: J.K.Rowling compared to Enid Blyton

"Would you like some tinned fish with your crackers, Ron? This is so exciting!"

Oh my, I can just picture that...>_>
---

Back on the actual subject, I would say that her "_ of Adventure" and Mallory Towers books were a little more towards the HP range, but they are still different styles. Blyton's is more fanciful and carefree, light reading. PS and CoS were light, but still held heavier undertones than Blyton's work. They appealed to the same audience during their time, though. Literary taste changes, so now you're more likely to see 9 year olds reading HBP, but would traditionally read Blyton-esque material. Hard to compare, but both great authors in different ways.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 6:58 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Well Ginny and Hermione certainly wont play mum and keep fixing Harry and Ron sandwiches and lashings of ginger beer, they've got better things to do.
I think that the books are completely different in style, but I definately prefer J K Rowling. Like you said, Face of Boe, Enid Blyton was very traditional, and I think she plays on the stereotypical roles of the time, with the female characters making the tea and the male characters mainly doing the exciting things. Of course, that is an exaggeration, but I think JKR has completely thrown off any moulds presented by modern day writing. Don't get me wrong, I loved Enid Blyton when I was little, it's just I now prefer JKR

Old March 22nd, 2007, 8:47 pm
Fifth Year

Well Jo claims to have read a lot of Enid Blyton as a kid, though I got the feeling she wasn't overly fond of them now. Here's some of what she has to say on the subject:

Quote:
"A problem you run into with a series is how the characters grow up ... whether they're allowed to grow up. The characters in Enid Blyton's Famous Five books act in a prepubescent way right through the series."

"My books are ultimately more moral. An unfashionable word, but there you go. They're not moralistic, but there is often a good-versus-evil subtext. They're not absolutely black and white, though. Harry breaks a lot of rules. He's not good in the Enid Blyton sense."

link

I met J. K. Rowling!

She said you should read my fanfics:
Sirius Black and the Drapery of Doom The Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)
Regulus Kills Again (One-shot) Lily Evans and the Golden Lyre

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:06 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by capella_black View Post
Well Jo claims to have read a lot of Enid Blyton as a kid, though I got the feeling she wasn't overly fond of them now. Here's some of what she has to say on the subject:
Ooh, thanks for that quote!

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:51 am
Third Year

They both are gifted writers, but writing in and for different generations, there are many similarities e.g British Boarding schools, children solving complex problems and mysteries on their own and friendship but they are written in different ways.
In some ways Enid was more of a factory line author, getting a new book out every month or so whereas we all know Jo likes to take her time to perfect her stories.

Old April 27th, 2007, 9:54 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillbet View Post
The character descriptions are telling- Anne Kirrin of the Famous Five could be Hermione.
I don't really agree with that. Anne is not really a fleshed out enough character to be compared to Hermione. Anne's role in the Famous Five was to cook, clean and mother everybody. She was basically being driven along by Julian, Dick, and George, following wherever they went. Hermione actively plans things. She also doesn't appear to have anywhere near Hermione's level of intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillbet
And Blyton's "Famous Five" and "Secret Seven" books are about groups of school children who solve mysteries and have adventures
I agree with that. Both Blyton's groups and Harry, Ron and Hermione also have a reluctance to invove adults in their adventures.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old April 27th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Fourth Year

I see where the comparison can come from. Harry Potter has the elements of the bording school, like malory towers and the mystery of the Famous Five. The eras that the two books are completely different can you imagine Hermione asking for spotted dick with lashings of cream or Jo saying Bloody Hell. While Enid Blyton did write very good stories and I did read them when I was younger. There is a lot of prejudice in her books, ie no one is as good as the English when a french girl joined the school, maybe this is due to the era that the books were written in. I enjoy Harry Potter more than I did Enid Blyton. JKR manages to make her world more enticing and imaginative. She manages to allow her characters to grow up as they go through the years at school and deal with more adult problems, relationships, death etc.

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old April 29th, 2007, 2:35 am
Second Year

I dont think blyton and rowling can be compared in the subject matter of their books but i think its odd that both have received fairly similar criticism-blyton for the blatant sexism(and alleged racism what with the whole golliwog fiasco) and rowling has been challenged for her lack of strong female characters(if you dont count hermione that is).both are also among the banned books list,so in terms of public backlash they've had ver similar experiences.

Old April 29th, 2007, 3:16 pm
ASA Signature Champion

One way to compare Enid Blyton and Jo Rowling is in their impact on children and their enjoyment of reading. The Potter books have encouraged millions of kids to read during an age when video games are far more popular than books. And I remember from my childhood how much I adored Blyton's Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair series. I had stacks and stacks of her books and read them over and over, even after we got our first computer (a Spectrum )

Enid Blyton's stories had a huge impact on me and encouraged me to read and to love reading. In that, she and Jo are just the same.

Currently... enjoying my wood-burning stove

Riddle Thread * Ask the Brits * Chocolate!
Old July 7th, 2007, 9:27 pm
Sixth Year

The seventh Harry Potter book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows of Adventure.....
Remus Lupin, the children's secret agent companion, takes them on a holiday to a mountainous locale, making it seem like he's on a peaceful vacation when he's actually hot in pursuit of a dangerous band of Death Eaters. Through a mysterious twist of fate,the children become separated from Remus and are hopelessly lost, but luckily managed to bring along a can opener, a length of rope, find a store of canned food, and a conveniently located and well hidden cave.
Harry and Ron set Ginny and Hermione to the task of sweeping the cave, preparing the meals, and looking after Kiki, the mischievous Fwooper while they explore their surroundings and track down the people who their food belongs to. After a series of ever more dangerous adventures, the four of them find the hidden treasure in the underground chamber, and cleverly capture the bad guys. Then Remus finds them, brings them home, and hits on Molly, and Kiki the Fwooper says something highly witty that makes them all laugh like idiots.
Oh, and Ron and Ginny get into numerous shockingly violent fights that involve boxing each other's ears.

Old July 8th, 2007, 9:20 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhgrt View Post
The seventh Harry Potter book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows of Adventure.....

Now that you mention it, I think I've read that story - did it involve smugglers? It was one of my favourites as a child.

My Pottermore username: DawnNox88

Old July 8th, 2007, 9:00 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Now that you mention it, I think I've read that story - did it involve smugglers? It was one of my favourites as a child.
lol. I think I drew inspiration from Valley of Adventure....

Old July 9th, 2007, 2:04 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhgrt View Post
Remus Lupin, the children's secret agent companion, takes them on a holiday to a mountainous locale, making it seem like he's on a peaceful vacation when he's actually hot in pursuit of a dangerous band of Death Eaters. Through a mysterious twist of fate,the children become separated from Remus and are hopelessly lost, but luckily managed to bring along a can opener, a length of rope, find a store of canned food, and a conveniently located and well hidden cave.
Harry and Ron set Ginny and Hermione to the task of sweeping the cave, preparing the meals, and looking after Kiki, the mischievous Fwooper while they explore their surroundings and track down the people who their food belongs to. After a series of ever more dangerous adventures, the four of them find the hidden treasure in the underground chamber, and cleverly capture the bad guys. Then Remus finds them, brings them home, and hits on Molly, and Kiki the Fwooper says something highly witty that makes them all laugh like idiots.
Oh, and Ron and Ginny get into numerous shockingly violent fights that involve boxing each other's ears.
That was beautiful.

Old July 11th, 2007, 10:43 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyma View Post
That was beautiful.

Seconded.

Back on topic, while the famous five are clearly children's stories, I think George is a stronger female character than anything JKR's come up with. She always did what she wanted to do and never let the boys walk all over her. Whereas Hermione has been hopelessly in love with Ron for years and still can't see (unlike Luna) that he is occasionally just not worth it. Does she sound like a spokesperson for feminism? haha.
I loved Mallory Towers when I was little and have recently in a spot of nostalgia re-read them. On an adult perspective I've noticed they do cover topics like growing up, bullying, stealing, controlling one's temper, friendship, jealousy...hundreds of little topics disguised as a children's book which is very clever. JKR tends to be a bit more blatent when covering important topics.
Although, I do find the prejudice in Enid Blyton a bit irritating; the idea that the British are the best at everything (why should the american girl suppress her accent? And yet she does it. because the british are the best, obviously) it's best to remember that these are books of their time; written in the 50's, so pointless to discuss them in light of today's society. I'm sure that in 50 years time Harry Potter will also seem to be a bit dated - BUT still with those issues that are relevant in any time.

"Go tell the world I'm still around. I didn't fly, I'm coming down."
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve