Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Old August 11th, 2010, 7:57 pm
First Year

Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

^ Your right, his army really wasn't all that big, I think you're taking it too much at face value. You're forgetting two things that Voldemort was really good at: Fear and intimidation.

He had most of the wizarding world cowering under him from the mere threat of him. They wouldn't say his name. He turned people against each other, people were scared of saying the wrong thing to the wrong person. Doubt is a powerful emotion.

"We walk proud, and we talk tough.
We've got heart, and we've got nerve...even if we are a bit disturbed"
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2011, 1:55 am
First Year

I feel like Voldemort's not all that much more evil or genius than most other villains. But I do think he has a much more interesting and thought-out rise to power. Most villains don't really get as fully explained and their evilness just seems inherent. Voldemort's development is shown throughout the novels, from child to evil mastermind. I thought that was something pretty interesting and unique about him, rather than just having a generic inherently evil person as the Dark Lord.

Old July 6th, 2012, 8:03 am
Second Year

Villans like Voldemort

I couldn't think of the right place to post this so I apologize if I got it wrong

As we all know J.K.Rowling said that Voldemort if pure evil and has not got even a small part of good, I was thinking if there are other villans like this in literature, cinema etc....

The only one that came into my mind was The Joker from the Dark Knight.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Draco Dormiens Numquam Tintillandus

"J.K. Rowling's Imagination should be ensured to the Loyds in London for two or three billion dollars"
-Stephen King-

I know JKR denied it, but unless she gives me proof with a Deathly Hallows Sequel, in my head Harry and Ron are going to go back to hogwarts for their last year!
Old July 6th, 2012, 2:45 pm
Second Year

I once did a thought experiment with a friend as to who would win between Sauron, Galbatorix, and Riddle if all three were at the heights of their power. The consensus we came to was that Riddle would claim the One Ring for his own and Galbatorix would eventually die of old age waiting for the other two to stop being so immortal.

Last Update: Episode 4.2 - Dying in the Past (9/21/2011)
When lives are at stake, there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Old July 6th, 2012, 6:08 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbyOwnsYouAll View Post
I say it again: Lord Voldemort is the greatest villain of all time, in every medium. He is the pinnacle of corrupt humanity and heartless hatred. Bravo, Rowling.
He ain't a patch on Randy Flagg, IT, Vlad Tepes, Mr Wednesday, Darcula or Frank Begbie.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 14th, 2012, 7:07 pm
First Year

Tom Riddle/Voldemort is a very complex villain, to be sure. We get to see some of how and why he became what he became. I find it interesting that in the end, although he lost all of the 'good' parts of humanity (if he ever really possessed them, which is arguable) he was left with the very human fear of death and what lies beyond.

The most effective villains are those in which we can, if however briefly, see ourselves. That makes them all the more frightening. As Friedrich Nietzsche said, "If you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." In that regard, Voldemort is one of the most effective villains in modern literature.

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't sympathize with Randall Flagg; "It" was inhuman and therefore beyond understanding; Dracula was a product of his times. (No offense meant; these are also all good villain examples.) The real horror of villains to me is when I can see them hold up a mirror and show me the parts of myself I would rather not know I have. In that, Tom Riddle succeeds.

― Roald Dahl
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:14 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_O View Post
The real horror of villains to me is when I can see them hold up a mirror and show me the parts of myself I would rather not know I have. In that, Tom Riddle succeeds.
That's real good reasoning, but I would have to disagree in one respect. For me the scariest villain is Hannibal Lecter. The chances of meeting up with Voldie, Randall, or It is kinda tiny. But Hannibal, he is one real human character and he scared the pants off of me. Micheal Corleone was also really scary. You're right though, it's the humans you have to look out for.

Last edited by MsJPotter; July 29th, 2012 at 12:46 pm.
Old September 15th, 2012, 12:17 am
Second Year

The thing about Voldemort that always seemed to irk me is that for some reason, he always seemed too cartoony. There's just something about his personality that's almost generic and simple. Other then what he can do magically, he never really struck me as an imposing character psychologically or socially.

For example, Hannibal Lecter is an imposing villain because he's intelligent and knows exactly how to screw with people psychologically and emotionally, and he does it himself. He doesn't rely on other people to do stuff for him like Voldemort does.

One thing I think would've made Voldemort more imposing is a complete and utter disregard for anyone, even if he used terrorism and murder of muggles as a way to screw with the Ministry of Magic and utterly jeopardize the secrecy of their lives that the magical world holds so dear.

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Last edited by SeverusSnapeHBP; September 15th, 2012 at 12:22 am.
Old September 30th, 2012, 9:42 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think one of the things that downgrades Voldemort for me as a supervillain is his appearance. If he had retained his good looks he would have been much scarier to me because he wouldn't have appeared to be the evil maniac that he was. The snake-face and red eyes made it obvious to anyone that saw him that he was wicked. Young Tom Riddle charming Slughorn into talking about horcruxes when he had already committed 3 murders and framing Hagrid for a monster he was setting off around the castle is more horrifying to me than Voldemort with his army of DEs and Inferi because everyone was deceived by him.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:30 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverusSnapeHBP View Post
The thing about Voldemort that always seemed to irk me is that for some reason, he always seemed too cartoony. There's just something about his personality that's almost generic and simple. Other then what he can do magically, he never really struck me as an imposing character psychologically or socially.

For example, Hannibal Lecter is an imposing villain because he's intelligent and knows exactly how to screw with people psychologically and emotionally, and he does it himself. He doesn't rely on other people to do stuff for him like Voldemort does.
IMO, Voldemort knows quite well how to mess with people's heads. He knows how to manipulate people - in his Riddle youth and Voldemort older days, he knew how to deceive people and harm them emotionally. He psychologically scarred two children at the orphanage when he was nine or ten years old. He deceived practically everyone at Hogwarts, he charmed Hepzibah Smith. He knew exactly what to do to lure Harry to the Ministry - he knew how to mess with people emotionally.

I think that having followers made Voldemort more dangerous - he could get like-minded followers, lure them with the promise of power and prestige, the opportunity to torture and kill, etc. More people to take the risks, less risk for his supremely important self.

Quote:
One thing I think would've made Voldemort more imposing is a complete and utter disregard for anyone, even if he used terrorism and murder of muggles as a way to screw with the Ministry of Magic and utterly jeopardize the secrecy of their lives that the magical world holds so dear.
Personally, I think Voldemort had that utter disregard for others in spades. He was the only one that mattered everyone else was disposable, everyone else was an object. Even his minions were just tools to make sure he got what he wanted. And I think it's clear that he wasn't too bothered about the Statute of Secrecy - very open and public attacks show that. Attacks on Muggles, murdered for fun show that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I think one of the things that downgrades Voldemort for me as a supervillain is his appearance. If he had retained his good looks he would have been much scarier to me because he wouldn't have appeared to be the evil maniac that he was. The snake-face and red eyes made it obvious to anyone that saw him that he was wicked. Young Tom Riddle charming Slughorn into talking about horcruxes when he had already committed 3 murders and framing Hagrid for a monster he was setting off around the castle is more horrifying to me than Voldemort with his army of DEs and Inferi because everyone was deceived by him.
Mostly, I'm glad that JKR changed Voldemort's appearance. Take a look at the amount of fans Lucius has - his evil actions - in particular, attempting to murder children - don't matter because he's rich and good looking. I shudder to think how many HP fans would side with Riddle if he had kept his good looks. If we had seen a dignified-looking, handsomely ageing, sixty-something Riddle rather than a hideous Voldemort, I imagine he would have quite as many people saying his crimes don't matter as Lucius does.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 7:13 pm
First Year

It's odd. Tom/Voldy shares a childhood similar to mine. But to me, love's something I cherish twice as much.

In my own wizard series, Ceinlys Swift, I wanted to create a villain who is the exact opposite to Voldy, but who acts quite the same, it resulted in one of the most intriguing characters who makes you wonder all the time.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 9:36 pm
Second Year

Quote:
The snake-face and red eyes made it obvious to anyone that saw him that he was wicked.

I found that rather cartoonish, myself. Many science-fiction/fantasy writers have a bad habit of doing this.

Quote:
Mostly, I'm glad that JKR changed Voldemort's appearance. Take a look at the amount of fans Lucius has - his evil actions - in particular, attempting to murder children - don't matter because he's rich and good looking.

Not all fans have viewed Lucius in that manner. In fact, I don't recall encountering that many fans who have.

Old July 12th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I still think Christian Coulson in COS was the best version of Voldemort. I like Ralph Fiennes a lot but by that point Voldemort is just too inhuman. He looks like a Roswell alien. I liked the description JKR gave of him when he met Dumbledore to ask for a job in the flashback scene where he was still recognisable but his features were slightly burned out. That would have sufficed.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve