Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4



View Poll Results: Was Snape a good friend to Lily?
Yes, he couldn't have been a better or more devoted friend. 12 12.90%
Yes. If only she had appreciated him more he wouldn't have joined the DE. 13 13.98%
Kind of. He should have listened to her concerns instead of focussing on his jealousy. 49 52.69%
No. He sympathised with a group of pure-blood supremacist terrorists while he was friends with her. 23 24.73%
Absolutely not. SWM was only the last straw and he'd failed her before. 9 9.68%
Oh dear, that's one hell of a poll. *hides* 19 20.43%
A pony? 20 21.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
  #341  
Old March 19th, 2010, 4:17 am
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 6089 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 59
Posts: 9,778
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinCat
We are told any of this about Lily and Snape. Did they visit each other, or, was magic the only thing they had in common?
We know that Snape visited Lily's house because Petunia was upset that he might have gone into her room and seen her letter to Dumbledore. Snape told Lily that he wondered how Muggles could write letters to Hogwarts, and figured there must be wizarding spies at the post office who intercept the letters. I think that's pretty cute that he was trying to figure out of these mysteries of the Muggle/Wizarding world at the age of eleven, and that it involved spies!


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Sponsored Links
  #342  
Old March 19th, 2010, 5:36 am
RavenStar83's Avatar
RavenStar83  Female.gif RavenStar83 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4638 days
Age: 35
Posts: 718
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseCruciatus View Post
You make a good point there. IMO, Lily convinced herself tha, despite the fact Snape hung around the "junior DE's", he wasn't completely like them and he was better than Avery and Mulciber who practiced Dark Magic and called everyone "Mudblood". She was aware of Snape calling people that as well, but I suppose we don't really feel the full force of an insult until it's directed at us, so she kept convincing herself. I think it really hit her in the SWM incident that Snape was just another one of them and she really had been making excuses for him for too long.
Not to mention that Snape and Lily were friends since they were 10, and it seems they grew pretty close if they were able to each other best friends. Close friends won't just drop each other right off the bat when something goes wrong. A lot of buildup has to happen before any close relationship can end up completely. I'd say it would have been a bit unrealistic had she left Snape earlier than she did. But I get the feeling she'd be criticized for that as well.


__________________
In slow motion the flowers fell from my head an shattered like glass. And when I looked into the mirror, I was a beautiful milkmaid. Then I woke up crying, and I don’t know why. ~Snape from Potter Puppet Pals



"In a lot of cases I think being the canon love interest for a much-beloved male character is the female character's death sentence." ~ thirty2flavors regarding the hate of female characters in fandom




~I'm Lily's best friend because she doesn't have one.~
  #343  
Old March 19th, 2010, 9:36 am
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4740 days
Posts: 6,026
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
What about Lily's humiliation in this situation? She was in no way obliged to accept the apology, what he had said was accurately described as "unforgivable" by Harry. Why would she want to be friends with someone who saw her in that way, and made an exception for her because she was Lily, because she was powerful, because he loved her?
Of course she was at liberty to break off, if she wanted to.

“---to call me Mudblood? But you call everyone of my birth Mudblood, Severus. Why should I be any different?” - DH - TPT

She says Why should I be any different? And yet strangely, she was, both to Snape and herself. Snape never apologised for calling other muggleborns by the same name; Snape came to apologise to her. From her side, she never stopped him from calling other Muggleborns as Mudblood, but she did find it offencive when he called her one.

Quote:
And more mature than Snape for that matter, as he didn't show any sign of understanding just how humiliating that must have been for Lily - the friend she'd stood by and stood up for turning the most vile word in the wizarding world on her?
I disagree. I think it was because Snape knew how wrong he had been that he came to stay the night if necessary to apologise to Lily.

Quote:
I think the meaning behind that word is often overlooked in analysis of SWM. It is the most foul, demeaning word in the wizarding world, according to several sources. It implies the person it's directed at is inferior because of their birth. I think Lily had every reason not to want to be friends with someone who embraced that ideology and I don't see any evidence that she was looking for an excuse to end the friendship.
Have answered it below. (in Annie's post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenStar83 View Post
Maybe calling her mudblood made her realize that she shouldn't take that kind of disrespect from him anymore. Shouldn't we be glad that finally left?
I may have understood your post wrongly, but I feel this implies that Snape had been disrespecting her all the time and she had been taking it until he said Mudblood. I disagree. I don't think Snape disrespected Lily at all, except for that one time, for which there is no justification, but something which I can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
I would respectfully disagree on this. I feel Lily may well have been giving her long-term friend the benefit of the doubt, by extending more of a hand of loyality and trust to him, than the other friends negative comments whom she was excusing his behaviour too.
The question which arises for me is that if Lily thought the word Mudblood an unforgivable word, then was it not so, when her best friend called others by that name, when he was neither humiliated or furious.

If it was, then did not Lily give a warning to Snape about its use and demand he stop uttering it completely. If she did and then in his anger the word slipped out, I think Lily's contempt and anger is well justified.

If on the other hand, Lily never minded (I think she overlooked it, thinking it was a swear word Snape used; she makes no comment about Snape using racial words in any memory except the break up scene) Snape using such words against other Muggleborns and still found it unforgivable when it was used on her, then I wonder if Lily was angry because Snape used a swear word against her or because the swear word itself was unforgivable.

If it was the former, I can understand it better, for the indignation/anger is about the fact Snape got angry enough to swear at her and for Lily that was unacceptable from a person she thought was her friend.

If was because of what the word meant and why it should not be used at all, then to me that raises the question, why was it not taken up as an issue all these days/years as the case may have been. JMHO.


__________________
The man who, in my opinion, won the war against Voldemort for Harry Potter and the Light! Severus Snape!

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
  #344  
Old March 19th, 2010, 9:49 am
mysterious's Avatar
mysterious  Male.gif mysterious is offline
Oracle Octopus
 
Joined: 5367 days
Location: Was right here...
Age: 30
Posts: 4,005
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
From her side, she never stopped him from calling other Muggleborns as Mudblood
I don't think so. Just because its not mentioned in canon doesn't mean she must not have tried, but then the rift between them was widening due to the paths they had chosen and this would have thus reduced the friendly interferences. We all go through that face with some friends when we stop correcting them when they are wrong and everything. But what can we say, life is like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I may have understood your post wrongly, but I feel this implies that Snape had been disrespecting her all the time and she had been taking it until he said Mudblood.
I think that is what she meant and that I think is not entirely wrong. Disrespect doesn't mean just insulting someone. That is why they are two different terms. Disrespect can when you don't listen to what the person says to you, or ignore the advice of the person.
Well we see Snape doing both, not listening to her and not taking the advice of Lily. He had kind of taken her for granted. This would be one of the contributing factors for their rift.


  #345  
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:34 am
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4740 days
Posts: 6,026
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
I don't think so. Just because its not mentioned in canon doesn't mean she must not have tried, but then the rift between them was widening due to the paths they had chosen and this would have thus reduced the friendly interferences.
Maybe she did, but maybe she did not too. I think one can interpret either way.

Quote:
We all go through that face with some friends when we stop correcting them when they are wrong and everything. But what can we say, life is like that.
I feel when 2 people are friends or even closer, everything looks different and is interpreted differently and I feel with Lily and Snape too that happened. When Lily loved Snape as her friend, she saw Snape differently, from when she started moving away from Snape. Then, those things (calling Muggleborns names, his fascination with the dark arts) which had not been important until then, suddenly took a different colour IMO.

Quote:
I think that is what she meant and that I think is not entirely wrong. Disrespect doesn't mean just insulting someone. That is why they are two different terms. Disrespect can when you don't listen to what the person says to you, or ignore the advice of the person.
One can still disagree with/not listen to, a friend's point of view and still love them and respect them. JMO.

Quote:
He had kind of taken her for granted.
I disagree. I don't think Snape ever took Lily for granted. I think he loved her too much and respected her a lot to do that.


__________________
The man who, in my opinion, won the war against Voldemort for Harry Potter and the Light! Severus Snape!

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
  #346  
Old March 19th, 2010, 4:39 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4510 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
I would respectfully disagree on this. I feel Lily may well have been giving her long-term friend the benefit of the doubt, by extending more of a hand of loyality and trust to him, than the other friends negative comments whom she was excusing his behaviour too. If they had any early objections to him, they might have been along the lines of him looking weird, a loner, or simply being Slytherin, the latter we see from Harry's generation how at odds the Houses are. Lily accepts him despite those things so she may have dismissed any comments/objections, even as they grew and doubt started to creep in. It wasn't until directly faced with being called a Mudblood herself, it hit her very hard what her friend was becoming and the change he was undergoing. Imo.
Exactly the way I read it the first time, the way I see it still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I don't think Snape ever took Lily for granted. I think he loved her too much and respected her a lot to do that.
Such an intense guy, our Snape.

No, I don't think he took her for granted either, especially as he was terrified of losing her to people he disliked, (the Marauders), but I have to say that I don't regard expressing his ancient hatred of Lily's husband to Lily's son as at all appropriate, and I don't think that showed much respect for Lily's memory.

I'm not saying I think Snape was glad James was dead but speaking like that about James to Lily's son? -- that really wasn't on. If he was worried about Harry turning out like James, that was the wrong way to go about it. But that's a discussion for Snape's own thread, not here.


__________________
  #347  
Old March 19th, 2010, 4:52 pm
bellatrix93's Avatar
bellatrix93  Female.gif bellatrix93 is offline
Malum Veneficus
 
Joined: 4418 days
Location: The Dark Lord's HQ (Mordor) :p
Posts: 2,394
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
One can still disagree with/not listen to, a friend's point of view and still love them and respect them. JMO.

I disagree. I don't think Snape ever took Lily for granted. I think he loved her too much and respected her a lot to do that.
Then, what is the definition of love and respect? . If you love someone, then, I think you should take their advices and comments very seriously. Especially when those advices concern you and impact your life and future. JMO.


__________________



Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!


Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
  #348  
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:59 pm
CurseCruciatus  Female.gif CurseCruciatus is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3678 days
Posts: 231
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

The strained frienship between Lily and Snape was bound to break at some point. One was going down a Death Eater's path, and the other was totally against Dark Magic and had a very non-DE future ahead of her. However, I highly doubt she had been waiting for an excuse to end the friendship, it seemed to me like she valued it very much. I think she definitely cared about Snape, as she repeatedly advised him against the path he was going down, and I'm sure she meant well. She tried to show him what was right and she remained friends with him for quite long, when she had plenty of opportunities to end things before to SWM incident. I think that shows she did value their friendship very much and only ended it because she knew that it couldn't continue the way it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods:
I may have understood your post wrongly, but I feel this implies that Snape had been disrespecting her all the time and she had been taking it until he said Mudblood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
I think that is what she meant and that I think is not entirely wrong. Disrespect doesn't mean just insulting someone. That is why they are two different terms. Disrespect can when you don't listen to what the person says to you, or ignore the advice of the person.
Well we see Snape doing both, not listening to her and not taking the advice of Lily. He had kind of taken her for granted. This would be one of the contributing factors for their rift.
Yes. Another thing she could have meant was disrespect for Muggle-borns in general.


__________________
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
"I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good."

Proud supporter of: HWRKDJCKQ. I have yet to figure out what that means.
  #349  
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:24 am
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4481 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 35
Posts: 2,591
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
We know that Snape visited Lily's house because Petunia was upset that he might have gone into her room and seen her letter to Dumbledore. Snape told Lily that he wondered how Muggles could write letters to Hogwarts, and figured there must be wizarding spies at the post office who intercept the letters. I think that's pretty cute that he was trying to figure out of these mysteries of the Muggle/Wizarding world at the age of eleven, and that it involved spies!
I always thought it was downright cheeky of the pair of them to go snooping in Petunia's things and reading her letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I disagree. I think it was because Snape knew how wrong he had been that he came to stay the night if necessary to apologise to Lily.
He came to apologise because he'd upset Lily, imo. I don't think he recognised that she was humiliated and devastated by what the word means, more than by the word itself. This was something a simple apology wasn't going to change - he apologises for using the word, not for the attitude behind it. She had no reason to accept him back while that was still his view.


Quote:
I may have understood your post wrongly, but I feel this implies that Snape had been disrespecting her all the time and she had been taking it until he said Mudblood. I disagree. I don't think Snape disrespected Lily at all, except for that one time, for which there is no justification, but something which I can understand.
I can't see what is understandable about using racist language.


Quote:
If it was the former, I can understand it better, for the indignation/anger is about the fact Snape got angry enough to swear at her and for Lily that was unacceptable from a person she thought was her friend.
It's not just swearing, it's worse than that. This is the worst racial slur in the wizarding world, it implies someone is beneath you and inferior because of their blood. I think it seems like trivialising the seriousness of it to reduce the word to the level of regular swearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
Then, those things (calling Muggleborns names, his fascination with the dark arts) which had not been important until then, suddenly took a different colour IMO.
That could be interpreted as Lily coming to her senses about Dark Magic and prejudice.

Or, as has been suggested before, she didn't find out about his use of the word until after the Mudblood incident. Perhaps her other friends or others in Gryffindor let her know that it hadn't been a one-off.


Quote:
I disagree. I don't think Snape ever took Lily for granted. I think he loved her too much and respected her a lot to do that.
He loved her, yes. But at that point in time, he didn't respect her. How could he respect her when he considered her a Mudblood? Seeing someone in that way doesn't show anything like respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseCruciatus View Post
The strained frienship between Lily and Snape was bound to break at some point. One was going down a Death Eater's path, and the other was totally against Dark Magic and had a very non-DE future ahead of her. However, I highly doubt she had been waiting for an excuse to end the friendship, it seemed to me like she valued it very much. I think she definitely cared about Snape, as she repeatedly advised him against the path he was going down, and I'm sure she meant well. She tried to show him what was right and she remained friends with him for quite long, when she had plenty of opportunities to end things before to SWM incident. I think that shows she did value their friendship very much and only ended it because she knew that it couldn't continue the way it was.
I always see Lily's advice to Snape as being similar to trying to persuade a friend not to become involved in drugs or crime. That's what a good friend does.
And it's not a matter of "Lily not accepting Snape's choices of something different" - becoming a vegetarian is a fair lifestyle choice, converting to a different religion is a fair lifestyle choice, supporting a political party is a fair lifestyle choice. Supporting the sentiments of a group of criminal terrorists is not an acceptable lifestyle choice, it's the kind of thing any decent friend would try to talk someone out of. Eventually however, there may come a point when one realises they can't help someone who doesn't accept that it's a problem.


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; March 20th, 2010 at 12:29 am.
  #350  
Old March 20th, 2010, 9:34 am
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4740 days
Posts: 6,026
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Then, what is the definition of love and respect? .
Obviously not agreeing with everything the person I love asks of me. I don't know if I can define love correctly, but I can say that disagreeing with one's lover/friend is certainly not an indication of lack of love or respect. IMO.

I think love is a feeling that one has for another person in spite of what the other person's qualities are, what his habits are, what his behaviour is; at times, these things, which are very, very important to a person in order to get along with another, seems unimportant because of a feeling inside them that makes them care for the other person in spite of the qualities which we generally use as a yardstick to become friends, to communicate affably and laugh or work or be together.

I think Snape loved Lily in spite of her faults and I think he respected her too, though he also disagreed with her on a few things. I don't think such disagreement takes away anything from Snape or the love he had for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I can't see what is understandable about using racist language.
For me understandable was the circumstance. I also understand that the word was unforgivable. I don't blame Lily was breaking with Snape because of this; I simply wonder what made her accept this racial insult before.

Quote:
It's not just swearing, it's worse than that. This is the worst racial slur in the wizarding world, it implies someone is beneath you and inferior because of their blood. I think it seems like trivialising the seriousness of it to reduce the word to the level of regular swearing.
Then one wonders why Lily did not take it up when Snape was calling Muggleborns by that name.


__________________
The man who, in my opinion, won the war against Voldemort for Harry Potter and the Light! Severus Snape!

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
  #351  
Old March 20th, 2010, 4:47 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4510 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I think Snape loved Lily in spite of her faults
And for a long time she cared for him as a friend very much, despite his.

Quote:
and I think he respected her too, though he also disagreed with her on a few things.
Like that whole issue of other wizards despising people of her racial blood? Yup, that was certainly quite an area of disagreement between them.

Quote:
I simply wonder what made her accept this racial insult before.
We have no canon that she found it in any way acceptable before.

Quote:
Then one wonders why Lily did not take it up when Snape was calling Muggleborns by that name.
Maybe she did and he just didn't take any notice of her concerns.


__________________
  #352  
Old March 20th, 2010, 6:56 pm
bellatrix93's Avatar
bellatrix93  Female.gif bellatrix93 is offline
Malum Veneficus
 
Joined: 4418 days
Location: The Dark Lord's HQ (Mordor) :p
Posts: 2,394
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
Obviously not agreeing with everything the person I love asks of me. I don't know if I can define love correctly, but I can say that disagreeing with one's lover/friend is certainly not an indication of lack of love or respect. IMO.

I think love is a feeling that one has for another person in spite of what the other person's qualities are, what his habits are, what his behaviour is; at times, these things, which are very, very important to a person in order to get along with another, seems unimportant because of a feeling inside them that makes them care for the other person in spite of the qualities which we generally use as a yardstick to become friends, to communicate affably and laugh or work or be together.
I agree with you. People can love each other and still disagree on minor things. It happens between one and their family, friends and love, and it happens in everyday life. Hermione and Ron used to argue all the time and they still loved each other, for instance.
But the point here, which makes all the difference, is that Lily's advice and warning were in no way minor or simple. I don't think Lily would've broke the friendship if they had disagreed on a simple matter. (such as the amount of studying hours for a NEWT ). Also to point out that Lily and Snape had some other disagreements. Their house preferences differed and this didn't affect their friendship. At least from Lily's side (though I don't think Snape minded Lily's being a Gryffindor). It didn't affect their friendship because it was still a minor matter.

Quote:
I think Snape loved Lily in spite of her faults and I think he respected her too, though he also disagreed with her on a few things. I don't think such disagreement takes away anything from Snape or the love he had for her.
It didn't make his love less. Probably, his love wasn't enough, in the first place. . It was not enough to make him totally abandon his DE friends or forget his facinction with the Dark Arts.


__________________



Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!


Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
  #353  
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:11 pm
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4634 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I agree with you. People can love each other and still disagree on minor things. It happens between one and their family, friends and love, and it happens in everyday life. Hermione and Ron used to argue all the time and they still loved each other, for instance.
But the point here, which makes all the difference, is that Lily's advice and warning were in no way minor or simple. I don't think Lily would've broke the friendship if they had disagreed on a simple matter. (such as the amount of studying hours for a NEWT ). Also to point out that Lily and Snape had some other disagreements. Their house preferences differed and this didn't affect their friendship. At least from Lily's side (though I don't think Snape minded Lily's being a Gryffindor). It didn't affect their friendship because it was still a minor matter.



It didn't make his love less. Probably, his love wasn't enough, in the first place. . It was not enough to make him totally abandon his DE friends or forget his facinction with the Dark Arts.
I think one would have to ask, 'Did Snape love Lily, or did he love the idea of a Lily that would love him not matter how horrendously he behaved?'
To call anyone by a racial insult is bad enough, but to call someone that you are supposed to love a racial insult is almost unbelievable. But that is what happened. Severus called Lily by a word that was 100 times worse than any swearword invented. If he had sworn at her it would have been better, and I speak as someone who abhors profanity. Then he had the nerve to go to her and try to say that he was sorry he had called her by the name, not that he was sorry he thought the word was wrong, that being a racist was wrong, that he was wrong. That he was the worst possible friend to her and that he would change.
And by change I mean that he would change because being a racist is a terrible, horrible thing, not because he had called her by that terrible word. He didn't do this. He compounded his error. He said he was sorry for all the wrong things. He said he was sorry for what he did, not for what he thought. Lily did not owe him her understanding or forgiveness, he owed her much, much more.


  #354  
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:17 pm
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 5179 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 37
Posts: 6,435
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Yes, he did love Lily. That one at least we should be certain of. His love for Lily is one of the major plot facts building the novels' main theme. If it were anything less than actual love, it all loses all sense at once. Plus, Snape's remorse and conversion from a Death Eater into "probably the bravest man", which according to JKR is one of the backbones of the whole story, can't really be built onto "kinda sorta" love. In the context of these series and from the viewpoint of its theme, it was as much love as it can ever be.


  #355  
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:59 am
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4634 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Yes, he did love Lily. That one at least we should be certain of. His love for Lily is one of the major plot facts building the novels' main theme. If it were anything less than actual love, it all loses all sense at once. Plus, Snape's remorse and conversion from a Death Eater into "probably the bravest man", which according to JKR is one of the backbones of the whole story, can't really be built onto "kinda sorta" love. In the context of these series and from the viewpoint of its theme, it was as much love as it can ever be.
Love for whom or should I ask for what? The Lily that existed, a person in her own right? Or the Lily of Snape's fancy? The Lily that did not mind being called a disgusting name or the very real young girl who minded it very much? Snape loves, yes. But what exactly does he love?


  #356  
Old March 21st, 2010, 2:02 am
Slartibartfast's Avatar
Slartibartfast  Female.gif Slartibartfast is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3703 days
Location: Magrathea
Age: 38
Posts: 971
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
But what exactly does he love?
Something was brought to my attention whilst watching PoA. Lupin says something interesting:
"Not only was she a very talented witch but she was also a remarkably kind woman. She had a gift for seeing the beauty in others when they couldn't see it themselves." I never caught that line consciously before now. Really never thought of it before. I think this has a lot to do with why Lily was friends with Snape. She saw something in him that even himself couldnt see. However, she couldnt turn a blind eye forever. I think Snape loved her for that alone. She never judged him until it was too late.


__________________


Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
  #357  
Old March 21st, 2010, 2:08 am
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4634 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
Something was brought to my attention whilst watching PoA. Lupin says something interesting:
"Not only was she a very talented witch but she was also a remarkably kind woman. She had a gift for seeing the beauty in others when they couldn't see it themselves." I never caught that line consciously before now. Really never thought of it before. I think this has a lot to do with why Lily was friends with Snape. She saw something in him that even himself couldnt see. However, she couldnt turn a blind eye forever. I think Snape loved her for that alone. She never judged him until it was too late.
I don't think that Lily should have had to judge Snape at all. I think it was something that he forced on her. It certainly was not something that Lily wanted, but Snape's actions left her no choice. Even then she was not as harsh as she could have been. If Snape had loved her and valued her so much he would have walked out of Slytherin House and never gone back.


  #358  
Old March 21st, 2010, 5:47 am
snapes_witch's Avatar
snapes_witch  Female.gif snapes_witch is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5282 days
Location: afternoon tea at Granny's
Posts: 2,973
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
Something was brought to my attention whilst watching PoA. Lupin says something interesting:
"Not only was she a very talented witch but she was also a remarkably kind woman. She had a gift for seeing the beauty in others when they couldn't see it themselves." I never caught that line consciously before now. Really never thought of it before. I think this has a lot to do with why Lily was friends with Snape. She saw something in him that even himself couldnt see. However, she couldnt turn a blind eye forever. I think Snape loved her for that alone. She never judged him until it was too late.
Unfortunately as much as I liked that comment, Lupin says absolutely nothing like that in the books (that I can remember) so IMO it can't be used here as evidence about Sev's and Lily's friendship.


__________________

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
  #359  
Old March 21st, 2010, 7:15 am
Muggle_Magic  Male.gif Muggle_Magic is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4995 days
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 1,207
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

I don't think Snape was actually a "friend" to Lily. He was in love with her, which is different. He was attracted to her since childhood and since when they came to Hogwarts the same year, two "lost" children, Lily because she was Muggleborn and Snape because he wasn't the kind to make friends easily, they found solace in each other's company, at least at first.

But then they took different paths, Snape got involved in the Dark Arts and consorted with future Death Eaters, Lily, with her sunny personality, made friends with other students, then ended up dating James.

She still liked Severus, and tried to steer him away from his dangerous path, also took his defense until he said the unforgivable word, "Mudblood".

After that, and after she married James, Snape's love turned into obsession. It wasn't the kind of selfless love that makes one rejoice at the loved one's happiness, and his jealousy of James, transferred to Harry, was stronger than his love for Lily. Yes, he put himself in deadly danger, and ended up dying for his love's son. Yes, his Patronus was his love's Patronus. But imo, his kind of love was not a healthy kind of love, nor a "friendly" kind of love.

Sorry if I'm repeating things that have been said dozens of times before, I didn't read the whole of this thread, and none of the previous versions.


  #360  
Old March 21st, 2010, 8:48 am
snapes_witch's Avatar
snapes_witch  Female.gif snapes_witch is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5282 days
Location: afternoon tea at Granny's
Posts: 2,973
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggle_Magic View Post
I don't think Snape was actually a "friend" to Lily. He was in love with her, which is different. He was attracted to her since childhood and since when they came to Hogwarts the same year, two "lost" children, Lily because she was Muggleborn and Snape because he wasn't the kind to make friends easily, they found solace in each other's company, at least at first.

But then they took different paths, Snape got involved in the Dark Arts and consorted with future Death Eaters, Lily, with her sunny personality, made friends with other students, then ended up dating James.

She still liked Severus, and tried to steer him away from his dangerous path, also took his defense until he said the unforgivable word, "Mudblood".

After that, and after she married James, Snape's love turned into obsession. It wasn't the kind of selfless love that makes one rejoice at the loved one's happiness, and his jealousy of James, transferred to Harry, was stronger than his love for Lily. Yes, he put himself in deadly danger, and ended up dying for his love's son. Yes, his Patronus was his love's Patronus. But imo, his kind of love was not a healthy kind of love, nor a "friendly" kind of love.

Sorry if I'm repeating things that have been said dozens of times before, I didn't read the whole of this thread, and none of the previous versions.
Somehow I have trouble with the idea that Snape's hatred of Potter and Son overruled his love for Lily. If that were true, I doubt that his patronus would have been the pure silver doe. Also IMO the doe indicates that his love wasn't an obsession but truly love. My opinion is influenced by the following:

Quote:
. . . he loved, and showed loyalty to that love . . . and ultimately laid down his life because of it.
I think that says all that needs to be said about Severus's love for Lily. Oh BTW that's quote from a JKR interview, 7/30/07. Also see her quote in my sig.

I don't see anything in canon to dispute him being her friend. He certainly thought he was her friend up until the night she broke off their friendship. Of course they weren't friends after that . . .


__________________

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; March 21st, 2010 at 8:53 am.
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, lily evans potter, severus snape


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 3:06 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.