Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Comic Books & Graphic Novels

The Sandman

Old July 22nd, 2008, 2:42 pm
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

The Sandman

Wow - a whole section on comics and graphic novels and no one's brought up Neil Gaiman's award-winning series yet? I'm shocked! (I did a search, really. If I missed something, feel free to dope-slap me and lock this up.)

So, basically, the series revolves around seven anthropomorphical beings known as The Endless. They are Death, Delirium, Destruction, Destiny, Desire, Despair, and Dream - aka The Sandman, aka Morpheus. (For you Twilight fans, Death - many fans' favorite character - is a doppelganger for Alice. I'm not kidding - I'm half-convinced Stephenie Meyer has read these.) Dream is the Lord of The Dreaming - the world you go to whenever you lose consciousness, whether it's a daydream, a fantasy, a nightmare, you're in his realm when you're asleep.

My username, Caliope, is a reference to a muse that Morpheus rescues in Book 3. (I spelled it wrong - it's supposed to have two L's - but by the time I signed up, it was too late to fix it. Oops.) So, any fans about?

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2008, 1:32 pm
First Year

Re: The Sandman

Probably the only Graphic Novel I would read... Neil Gaiman never disappoints me (except if you count Beowulf).
My favourite character is Delirium... She's so awesome!

Old October 21st, 2008, 3:36 am
Qvack...

Would you believe that I have every single one of these in my house and yet have never read them? And I'm such a huge Gaiman fan, shame on me!!!!

THE DUCK.

Old October 21st, 2008, 1:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
Would you believe that I have every single one of these in my house and yet have never read them? And I'm such a huge Gaiman fan, shame on me!!!!
Big BIG shame on you. You won't regret if you can't let down those books!

Old July 12th, 2009, 7:37 pm
Third Year

I have read most of the series many times. It's just sad that my budget is so tight that I cannot buy the books for myself and our library does not have all the volumes. Hmm... I guess I could orser them from another libraries. Why on earth have I not thought of that before? Silly me. They definitely are wort reading. And they won't get old.

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Old August 23rd, 2009, 7:30 pm
Fourth Year

I bought the first Sandman volume when I was in London, because I had heard so much about the series an I decided to give it a chance. I very much regret this, I wish I had bought them all. I hope I can buy them on the Internet, but I can't let my parents discover it. (You should have heard them when I came back from two days of shopping in London without a single piece of clothes for myself, only twenty books and a graphic novel. )

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old January 12th, 2010, 6:43 pm
Fourth Year

My parents were in Oslo (the capital of Norway) this weekend, and they bought volume two and three of The Sandman series! I was so happy, I almost jumped up and down, they're impossible to get here, except from the internet, and the shipping is usually very expensive. But now I've got three volumes, my Sandman library is growing! I've read them all though, because my school library has them.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old April 9th, 2011, 1:04 am
Fifth Year

I just got the first one to start this weekend. I find it difficult to switch from reading words to interpreting images, so graphic novels pose a challenge. Fingers crossed!

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old July 13th, 2012, 3:14 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Neil Gaiman has announced he will be writing a new Sandman book due in 2013 -- the 25th anniversary of the publication of Sandman #1.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 14th, 2012, 6:09 pm
Sixth Year

I had to read "A Game of You" for my graphic novel class. It was pretty good, but I accidentally threw it away when we were getting rid of all my college books. Oops.

Old September 25th, 2012, 5:04 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Just ordered the complete set in a slipcase. It's due for release in November.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Comic Books & Graphic Novels