Seventh Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.17

Awesome, thanks!!

Old December 11th, 2009, 7:39 am
Fifth Year

Re: Buckbeak's execution

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Wasn't Hedwig killed by Avada Kedavra? .

Anyways, I think beheading is more traditional than cursing, when it comes to execution. . As for inventing the curses, I'm sure they were planned much earlier than that.
traditional yes but more cruel too as far as i can tell the A.K. curse means you just stop living.I can imagine in some cases it is like helping something out of its misery.Perhaps they did this to show both sides have cruel characters.

Old December 11th, 2009, 4:45 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't know if there is a thread on Bellatrix's character, but I was wondering if she was in love with Voldie, or just infatuated with him.

Old December 11th, 2009, 5:20 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I don't know if there is a thread on Bellatrix's character, but I was wondering if she was in love with Voldie, or just infatuated with him.
Yes,according to JKR Bella was in love with Voldemort.

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/...st-anelli.html

"PotterCast Interviews J.K. Rowling, part twoJKR...And Bellatrix, was, as I think is clear-- you know, I doubt that people will be particularly shocked to hear, 'cause I'm sure they've deduced, that Bellatrix is madly, romantically in love with Voldemort. This is-- you know, that's the obsession of her life

Old December 12th, 2009, 2:16 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
Yes,according to JKR Bella was in love with Voldemort.

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/...st-anelli.html

"PotterCast Interviews J.K. Rowling, part twoJKR...And Bellatrix, was, as I think is clear-- you know, I doubt that people will be particularly shocked to hear, 'cause I'm sure they've deduced, that Bellatrix is madly, romantically in love with Voldemort. This is-- you know, that's the obsession of her life
I think in some weird way he was in her too seeing how he responded to her death

Btw has anyone else also noticed how no one ever fails at Hogwarts must be a pretty easy school for wizards

Last edited by Nandi; December 12th, 2009 at 3:01 pm.
Old December 12th, 2009, 3:23 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandi View Post
Btw has anyone else also noticed how no one ever fails at Hogwarts must be a pretty easy school for wizards
I believe Crabbe and Goyle failed some of there OWLs (Defence Agains the Dark Arts is one if I'm not mistaken) and Marcus Flint failed a year (though only due to a mistake on JK's part)

Old December 12th, 2009, 3:46 pm
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

In CoS Lockhart was bragging about a charm/spell to change werewolves back to human form. Is there really such a spell or was that just another of his fables?

Why was there never a "graduation" ceremony for the Seventh Years who were finishing their studies and moving on to their careers?

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old December 12th, 2009, 3:56 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

I think it's logical that there would be a graduating ceremony, since pretty much any school has them. The way I see it, Harry just never attented one because the people who he was close to either never graduated (Fred and George) or were in his own year and well their seventh year was a disaster. I imagine Harry did attended the graduation of Hermione and his other friends post Deathly Hallows.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old December 12th, 2009, 4:45 pm
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I think it's logical that there would be a graduating ceremony, since pretty much any school has them.
Not in Britain - though they are becoming more popular. At the time JKR was at school they were virtually unheard of. When you leave school here you are unaware of your exam results (they arrive a month or so later) so it's premature for a celebration and once you have the results who wants to go back to school?

Old December 12th, 2009, 6:59 pm
Third Year

Hey there, I was just reading CoS and something struck me. How come Dumbledore never found about the CoS? He was a very powerful, deductive and intelligent man. I mean, he could have just questioned Myrtle and figured out everything else.

Old December 12th, 2009, 7:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
Hey there, I was just reading CoS and something struck me. How come Dumbledore never found about the CoS? He was a very powerful, deductive and intelligent man. I mean, he could have just questioned Myrtle and figured out everything else.
Great question! One would think that Dumbledore would have known everything about Hogwarts having been a student, then teacher, and finally Headmaster. Wouldn't he have known about Myrtle since he was teaching when she was killed?

Something else I've wondered about -- in CoS, when Harry and Ron take the Polyjuice Potion they have to assume Goyle and Crabb's characteristics, voices, etc. When Crouch, Jr. "became" Moody, he was good enough for months and months to fool Dumbledore and many others who knew Moody very well. How did he know Moody well enough to be able to do this?

To prove me wrong.
Spent without you.
Old December 12th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Caninophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
when Harry and Ron take the Polyjuice Potion they have to assume Goyle and Crabb's characteristics, voices, etc.
They only kept their own voices in the movie, in the book the polyjuice potion changed their voices as well.
As far as imitating Moody, his habits and paranoia were apparently well-known.

Introducing the father & son team of Ricky and Jasper! (They might be related to the Malfoys, possibly maybe)

Ricky: One day you shall be a pretty as I, my boy.
Jasper: Yes father!

I'm just Slytherin' around...
Old December 12th, 2009, 7:28 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
I do not think there has been a clearcut answer for this yet by JKR. However, we know Dumbledore could not have entered the Chamber, even if he knew where it was, because he could not speak Parseltongue. Why he did not know where the Chamber was/what was in it, I think, is because a lack of information. He may have thought the basilisk was the monster, but he did not have the information about/from Aragog or from Harry hearing a disembodied voice. I expect Dumbledore thought the monster was a basilisk (given the strangled roosters and the petrification), but he did not have the necessary information to protect the students against it (i.e. he did not know how it was moving around and attacking students).

He may not have known about where the Chamber was, too, because Myrtle refused to tell him all of her story, or else Dumbledore never asked. Myrtle was fairly smitten with Harry by the end of the book, which is why I think she was so keen to reveal the story of her death. She may have hidden that information from Dumbledore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat
Something else I've wondered about -- in CoS, when Harry and Ron take the Polyjuice Potion they have to assume Goyle and Crabb's characteristics, voices, etc. When Crouch, Jr. "became" Moody, he was good enough for months and months to fool Dumbledore and many others who knew Moody very well. How did he know Moody well enough to be able to do this?
That is only in the films. In the CoS book, Harry's and Ron's voices change with Polyjuice Potion:
CoS, Ch. 12, The Polyjuice Potion, Page 217, American, PB"Are you two okay?" Goyle's low rasp of a voice issued from his mouth.
"Yeah," came the deep grunt of Crabbe from his right.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old December 12th, 2009, 7:33 pm

So, when you put whatever bit of the person you're turning into in the potion, it might contain a "memory" of that person and make you assume their characteristics and maybe some of their own memories and abilities? Like you said, Harry and Ron did have Crabb and Goyle's voices in the book. I'd forgotten about that.

To prove me wrong.
Spent without you.
Old December 12th, 2009, 7:48 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat
So, when you put whatever bit of the person you're turning into in the potion, it might contain a "memory" of that person and make you assume their characteristics and maybe some of their own memories and abilities? Like you said, Harry and Ron did have Crabb and Goyle's voices in the book. I'd forgotten about that.
I believe that Polyjuice Potion provides a physical copy of the person you want to transform into. This is why you look the same and act the same as the person you are imitating. You also share the same physical abilities/limitations as that individual. For instance, Harry and Ron could probably have lifted heavier items when they impersonated Crabbe and Goyle than they could have done otherwise. However, I do not think you have the same thoughts or memories as the person - you maintain your original mind. For example, Ron had to consciously hold his arms "sort of stiff." Maintaining the correct appearance and attitude of Crabbe, in some cases, required conscious effort from Ron, rather than habitual reaction (as it would have been for Crabbe).

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:52 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
Dumbledore deduced, after revealing Barty Crouch Jr, that he kept the real Moody in the trunk under the Imperious Curse, so he was able to question him about his life and mannerisms, therefore more able to trick Dumbledore.

How is it that Harry never noticed Barty on the map prior to the night when he dropped the egg?

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old December 13th, 2009, 1:01 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
How is it that Harry never noticed Barty on the map prior to the night when he dropped the egg?
I don't seem to remember Harry using the map prior to that night so far during his fourth year. I think he largely only used it when he had some sneaking around to do -as he did with the Cloak.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old December 13th, 2009, 1:07 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Actually he did notice a "Barty Crouch" on the map, but he thought it's Crouch sen. No idea when exactly he saw it though.

The End of the Dream.
Old December 13th, 2009, 1:50 am
Second Year

Do you think Tonks could have changed genders with her metamorphagus powers?

Brought to you with help from the eternally awesome DarkLord7.

Future Ruler of the ENTIRE TRI-STATE AREA!!!! *Dramatic lightning*

I lost The Game.
Old December 13th, 2009, 2:56 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsRSkary View Post
Do you think Tonks could have changed genders with her metamorphagus powers?
Since we never see it happen, I'd say no.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References