Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Things That Took Several Readings To Catch v. 8.0

Old August 5th, 2007, 3:42 pm
Second Year

Re: Things You Didn't Catch at First

I haven't cought anything I actually missed yet, but after re-reading Snape's death scene I have realized that maybe he did want to see Lily's eyes when he told Harry to look at him. The first time through I thought he only wanted Harry to see him as he was, loyal and brave.

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2007, 4:56 pm
Third Year

Yes, ghosts could be wonderful destractions. And I think Peeves would be the best of all. Can Peeves be killed? Because he could do some bold things to the DEs. Also, he can't make himself invisible, which is helpful. McGonagall knew this, she sent Filch to get Peeves right away.

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream."

~ Vincent Van Gogh

Unrequited love is the curse that hurts the most.

I am a proud Potter addict.
Old August 5th, 2007, 5:24 pm
First Year

I also missed why Snape told Harry to look at him while he was dying. I thought it had something to do with Harry seeing how Snape had sacrificed his life for him. It didn't occur to me that Snape just wanted to see Lily's eyes in his last moments.

Old August 5th, 2007, 6:52 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjessis View Post
I also missed why Snape told Harry to look at him while he was dying. I thought it had something to do with Harry seeing how Snape had sacrificed his life for him. It didn't occur to me that Snape just wanted to see Lily's eyes in his last moments.
That didnt occur to me either until harry put his memories in the pensieve, but i didnt even register what was coming out of his face until harry put it in there either.

"The tank is empty let it dry,
I'm suffering.
A passion ending,
So the world ceases turning."
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:33 pm
First Year

im not even sure if i should read the book agan, ill get too depressed =/

Old August 5th, 2007, 10:57 pm
Third Year

I had to re-read (but as i was reading the book) the last pages of "Godric Hollow"'s chapter, the snake coming out of Bathilda, i couldn't understand it! it was so comlicated, si very well written, as well as the Voldemort Scene in that same chapte.

PS: Maybe it's me who didn't catch it and re-read 3 times the same pages, but im from Argentina and i speak Spanish, but i do know a lot of english

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjessis View Post
Wow, i thought the same, i thought Snape told Harry to "look" at him, to look at the memory. Then reading the forum i saw people who understand that Snape watned to see Harry's eyes for the last time

Last edited by LudwigVan; August 6th, 2007 at 1:30 am.
Old August 6th, 2007, 3:33 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
I had to re-read (but as i was reading the book) the last pages of "Godric Hollow"'s chapter, the snake coming out of Bathilda, i couldn't understand it! it was so comlicated, si very well written, as well as the Voldemort Scene in that same chapte.

I had trouble comprehending that scene the first time too. It could have been because I was reading too fast and too late for me to fully understand what it was saying.

I also completely missed Harry undressing before going into the water to get the sword. It was my second read that I got it and when I looked at fanart between them and they showed harry half naked I was SUPER confused.

~ Vincent Van Gogh

Old August 6th, 2007, 9:00 pm
Fifth Year

On my latest re-read, I caught that the prisoners within the Malfoy Manor are imprisoned in the same hidden room beneath the drawing room that Draco tells Harry and Ron (while Polyjuiced) about during CoS.

Old August 6th, 2007, 9:25 pm
Third Year

I was re-reading the Wedding chapter yesterday and Aunt Muriel comments that Ginny's dress is too low-cut and Ginny turns around, grins at Harry and winks. I didn't catch that the first time.

Old August 6th, 2007, 9:54 pm
Fifth Year

I just started book one again, and I realised that Sirius’s motorbike is quite symbolic: it’s how Harry first arrived at the Dursley’s, and how he left.

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:07 pm
Second Year

All the thing about the Elder Wand in the Flaw of the Plan was a bit confusing to me, so I re-read it.. all that disarming and the true master of the wand simple confused me.. maybe I'll read a second time.

"...Don't worry. You're just as sane as I am."

Luna Lovegood <3

My Last.fm
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:04 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
On my latest re-read, I caught that the prisoners within the Malfoy Manor are imprisoned in the same hidden room beneath the drawing room that Draco tells Harry and Ron (while Polyjuiced) about during CoS.
I didn't realize that. That is a good catch. I think that's important to the fact that Dobby rescued them, because I don't know if any other house elf would know where to find them.

~ Vincent Van Gogh

Old August 7th, 2007, 2:04 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloric View Post
I didn't realize that in the first chapter, the "wailing" we hear after Voldemort says he will kill Harry Potter, after which he tells Wormtail to "take care of the prisoner", was actually from...Ollivander. In my rushed first read I had thought it referred to Charity Burbage.
Yeah I noticed this too eventually. I thought it was a good lead up to when Harry and everyone are in the dungeon and they can hear what Bellatrix is doing to Hermione, which is important cos then they know to tell Griphook to say that the sword is a fake! The Malfoy Manor must have very thin walls and floors...

Old August 7th, 2007, 2:11 am
Second Year

Another thing I noticed. A connection that I made between Harry and Voldemort.

Dumbledore said in HBP that Voldemort had always called Hogwarts his home. Harry says that Hogwarts was his home. So this could be the reason why the final battle takes place. It was the place where they were both the most happiest.

Old August 7th, 2007, 3:42 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Lovegood View Post
Another thing I noticed. A connection that I made between Harry and Voldemort.

Dumbledore said in HBP that Voldemort had always called Hogwarts his home. Harry says that Hogwarts was his home. So this could be the reason why the final battle takes place. It was the place where they were both the most happiest.
I think the final battle being there is really significant. Both Harry and Voldemort escaped a terrible childhood to find 'fame'[historical for harry and self-made for voldemort], friendships[or admirers for voldemort], and happiness but Harry found so much more there than Voldemort. Voldemort found evil, great evil, hatred, and the importance of blood status. Harry found real friendships, love, family, his past, trust, and a great tolerance for others. And I think that is one of the reasons Harry won.

~ Vincent Van Gogh

Old August 7th, 2007, 3:45 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleSnowyOwl View Post
Mods, I searched and nothing came up; apologies if this already exists!

I’m slowly re-reading DH, and taking notes on the little things that I didn’t catch at first.

One, that I love, is at Harry’s birthday dinner. Ron compliments Hermione, and Harry “had a funny notion that he would find a chapter on compliments when he found time to peruse his copy of Twelve Fail-Safe Ways to Charm Witches” (pg. 101 UK). Then, Harry compliments Mrs. Weasley on the Snitch cake, and Ron gives Harry thumbs up and mouths “good one”. I didn’t notice at first, but Ron was under the impression that Harry had been reading that chapter on compliments!

Another one is when the trio is discussing Horcruxes, and Ron asks how they can posses someone. Hermione says, “You’re in trouble if you get too fond of or dependant on the Horcrux.” (pg. 91 UK) That’s exactly what happened to Dumbledore – he was so fascinated at having one of the Hallows he’d once dreamed of finding, that he allowed himself to become too close.

Are there any other things that you didn’t catch at first?
Oh My God. I so did not catch the 'good one' part. Whoa...wierd...

Old August 7th, 2007, 3:46 am
Banned

i didn't fully get how voldemorts curse hit him instead of harry at first but then the whole malfoy manor disarming helped and i got itand thought it was an awesome way to have voldemort kill himself..

Old August 7th, 2007, 3:48 am
Second Year

Quote:
I didn't quite get it either, had to reread the chapter starting from when they entered her house

Make sure to leave Suggestions, etc. here!!
Old August 7th, 2007, 3:55 am
Sixth Year

I totally did not comprehend Dumbledore's explanation in the weird mid-veil place. I had to go back and re-read that before I got what Dunbledore was yammering about.

Old August 7th, 2007, 3:59 am
Sixth Year

I missed a lot as I was reading the first time and kept having to backtrack 2 pages later and reread (took me forever!) but the second time didn't have anything I really didn't notice the first time around. All the small little things between Hermione and Ron were much more enjoyable the second time, though, cause I wasn't as anxious for answers and disregarding anything else as pretty much unimportant (like the love stuff).

"When you really trust someone, you have to be ok with not understanding some things."

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References