Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Unanswered Questions

Old May 25th, 2009, 10:29 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Re: Unanswered Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
Oh, I agree with you both. I wasn't giving a serious answer. I just thought it would be amusing if Dumbledore was sitting in the Hogs Head as Umbridge was so adamant that he wouldn't be.
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if he was sitting in the Hogs Head a few times during all that. I just don't think he would have been staying with his brother for any length of time.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2009, 1:41 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
We were never given a specific location, but Dumbledore did tell Harry that he was on his way to Grimmauld Place the night that Sirius was killed. Sirius was asked to stay behind to tell Dumbledore what happened because he was due to arrive any minute, but chose to give that task to Kreacher instead because he wanted to help rescue Harry.

I don't think Dumbledore would have stayed at the Hog's Head - not in the sense of living there - but I do think it's likely that he went there at times. He and Aberforth didn't have the best relationship, but Aberforth was part of the Order and they did communicate - Dumbledore used the Hog's Head as a cover in HBP and Aberforth told Harry in DH that Dumbledore had told him what the mirror was and how it worked.

I think Dumbledore did a lot of traveling during that time - most likely collecting some of the memories that he showed Harry in HBP. And he was probably trying to gather more people to join the Order - or at least convince them that Voldemort had returned.
Well, I agree with the part about what Dumbledore did,but I don't think he managed to get many memories in the time gone. Perhaps he was um.... I will post again after more thought.

Old May 26th, 2009, 7:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan795 View Post
Well, I agree with the part about what Dumbledore did,but I don't think he managed to get many memories in the time gone. Perhaps he was um.... I will post again after more thought.
Well, I wasn't saying that he got all of those memories during the few months he was away from Hogwarts in OOTP. But I think it's likely that he was talking to people who had some kind of connection to Voldemort during that time - and might have gotten one or two of the memories then. Maybe Bob Ogden or Hokie the house-elf. And not everyone he talked to gave him a memory or told him anything. Remember, he told Harry that many of the people who had been students with Tom Riddle were reluctant to talk about it and/or refused. He wasn't able to get much information about Voldemort during his time at Hogwarts or the years after he left before he returned as Lord Voldemort.

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old May 26th, 2009, 9:38 pm
First Year

Re: Unanswered Questions from the HP Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
What jobs (if any) did the trio end up having?
Head of the Auror Department.-Harry [JKR/TLC Podcast]

After graduating she joined the Ministry of Magic, where she forged a successful career, first in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, and then in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.-Hermione [JKR/TLC Podcast]

Rather than going back to Hogwarts to take his final year with Hermione, he instead went on to work with George in Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, helping George through the loss of his twin brother in the battle. Once the business was thriving again he let George take sole charge of the shop and joined the revolutionized Auror Department of the Ministry.-Ron [JKR/TLC Podcast]

Proud Slytherin

My Wife!!
Old May 28th, 2009, 5:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_This_Punk View Post
Head of the Auror Department.-Harry [JKR/TLC Podcast]

After graduating she joined the Ministry of Magic, where she forged a successful career, first in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, and then in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.-Hermione [JKR/TLC Podcast]

Rather than going back to Hogwarts to take his final year with Hermione, he instead went on to work with George in Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, helping George through the loss of his twin brother in the battle. Once the business was thriving again he let George take sole charge of the shop and joined the revolutionized Auror Department of the Ministry.-Ron [JKR/TLC Podcast]
Just adding a correction about Ron - he joined the Auror department with Harry after the final battle. Kingsley offered them - and others who were of age that had fought - the opportunity to become Aurors even though they had not completed their NEWTs and Harry and Ron jumped at the chance.

At some point - Jo never specified when as far as I know - Ron started moonlighting with George at the joke shop in his spare time because George needed the companionship and Ron needed the extra money. So he did both at once - full time Auror with Harry and part time at the joke shop with George.

Old May 28th, 2009, 6:37 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Just adding a correction about Ron - he joined the Auror department with Harry after the final battle. Kingsley offered them - and others who were of age that had fought - the opportunity to become Aurors even though they had not completed their NEWTs and Harry and Ron jumped at the chance.

At some point - Jo never specified when as far as I know - Ron started moonlighting with George at the joke shop in his spare time because George needed the companionship and Ron needed the extra money. So he did both at once - full time Auror with Harry and part time at the joke shop with George.
If the Leaky Cauldron podcast is correct, though, JKR seems to have Ron's path reversed from what you noted. Not_This_Punk quotes JKR saying that Ron joined the Auror department later, after helping George get back on his feet with the twins' business.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old May 28th, 2009, 7:22 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
If the Leaky Cauldron podcast is correct, though, JKR seems to have Ron's path reversed from what you noted. Not_This_Punk quotes JKR saying that Ron joined the Auror department later, after helping George get back on his feet with the twins' business.
Oooooo which to believe!! I think I would agree more with the second one however, because I think being an Auror would be so full on, you wouldn't be able to do part time work as well. Just my opinion

Old May 28th, 2009, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I listened to both of those episodes of Pottercast - the two part interview with Jo - and that's not what Jo said at all. I'm not sure where Not_This_Punk got that from - as far as I know, Jo has never said anything like that. She was actually very specific in the Pottercast interview.

PotterCast Interviews J.K. Rowling, part oneSU: Oh, speaking of Ron/Hermione--

JKR: Yeah, did they graduate from Hogwarts?

SU: Yes, did they?

JKR: Harry and Ron didn't go back, Hermione did. Did you bet right? You must've, I mean, come on. No one's gonna think Hermione wouldn't go back.

SU: I predicted, yeah.

JKR: Of course she'd go back. She has to get her N.E.W.T.s. Ron was really done with schooling. It would be kind of tempting to go back just to mess around for a year and have a break, but he goes into the Auror department. He's needed. Anyone. Anyone who was in that battle on the right side, Kingsley would want them to help clean up the-- I mean, anyone who's old enough to do it, who's over-age. But Kingsley would've wanted Ron, Neville, Harry and they would've all gone, and they would've all done the job. And I think that that would've been a good thing for them, too. Because to go through that battle and then be religated to the sidelines, I think they would've felt a need to keep going and finish the job. So that would've been rounding up, really, the corrupt people who were doing a Lucius Malfoy and trying to pretend that they weren't really involved.

The confusion about Ron's job resulted from a question about George on the live web chat Jo participated in after DH was released. In a previous interview, Jo had said that Ron and Harry became Aurors and Hermione went on to work in the Magical Law department at the Ministry. When asked about George on the web chat, she commented that Ron helped George out at the joke shop and they did very well. So people were confused as to what Ron's job actually was. Later - during one of the readings she gave in the US in October, 2007 - she was asked for a clarification about Ron's job and she said that he did become an Auror with Harry and also moonlighted with George at the joke shop because George needed the compansionship and Ron needed the extra money.

So he was doing both at the same time essentially - full time Auror, part time at the joke shop. I like to think he needed the extra money because he was saving up to buy an engagement ring for Hermione.

I also like that she included Neville in that - I had been wondering what Neville did prior to Professor Sprout retiring. I think it fits that he would have been an Auror with Ron and Harry for a while before becoming a teacher.

Old May 28th, 2009, 12:15 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I listened to both of those episodes of Pottercast - the two part interview with Jo - and that's not what Jo said at all. I'm not sure where Not_This_Punk got that from - as far as I know, Jo has never said anything like that. She was actually very specific in the Pottercast interview.

PotterCast Interviews J.K. Rowling, part oneSU: Oh, speaking of Ron/Hermione--

JKR: Yeah, did they graduate from Hogwarts?

SU: Yes, did they?

JKR: Harry and Ron didn't go back, Hermione did. Did you bet right? You must've, I mean, come on. No one's gonna think Hermione wouldn't go back.

SU: I predicted, yeah.

JKR: Of course she'd go back. She has to get her N.E.W.T.s. Ron was really done with schooling. It would be kind of tempting to go back just to mess around for a year and have a break, but he goes into the Auror department. He's needed. Anyone. Anyone who was in that battle on the right side, Kingsley would want them to help clean up the-- I mean, anyone who's old enough to do it, who's over-age. But Kingsley would've wanted Ron, Neville, Harry and they would've all gone, and they would've all done the job. And I think that that would've been a good thing for them, too. Because to go through that battle and then be religated to the sidelines, I think they would've felt a need to keep going and finish the job. So that would've been rounding up, really, the corrupt people who were doing a Lucius Malfoy and trying to pretend that they weren't really involved.

The confusion about Ron's job resulted from a question about George on the live web chat Jo participated in after DH was released. In a previous interview, Jo had said that Ron and Harry became Aurors and Hermione went on to work in the Magical Law department at the Ministry. When asked about George on the web chat, she commented that Ron helped George out at the joke shop and they did very well. So people were confused as to what Ron's job actually was. Later - during one of the readings she gave in the US in October, 2007 - she was asked for a clarification about Ron's job and she said that he did become an Auror with Harry and also moonlighted with George at the joke shop because George needed the compansionship and Ron needed the extra money.

So he was doing both at the same time essentially - full time Auror, part time at the joke shop. I like to think he needed the extra money because he was saving up to buy an engagement ring for Hermione.

I also like that she included Neville in that - I had been wondering what Neville did prior to Professor Sprout retiring. I think it fits that he would have been an Auror with Ron and Harry for a while before becoming a teacher.
I'd like to know where you get your informtion

But thanks for clearing that up

Old May 28th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_xx View Post
I'd like to know where you get your informtion

But thanks for clearing that up
The quote was from part 1 of the Pottercast interview with J.K. Rowling - I labeled it with the fieldset tags. You can look it up at TLC by following the link to the Pottercast page - where you can either listen to the podcast or read a transcript of it.

You can also look that up on Accio Quote! - a very useful site that has archived nearly all of the interviews that Jo has given as well as info from her official website. You can find a transcript of the questions and answers from the live web chat Jo did after DH was released there as well - that was where the question about George came up that caused the confusion about Ron's job. They have things organized by date with summaries or you can use the search feature if you are looking for specific terms. If you're looking for a quote from Jo, that would be the first place to look cause they have almost everything.

Much more difficult to find are the questions Jo answered during those readings that she gave in October, 2007 because not all of them were transcribed and released. Someone from TLC attended the one at Carnegie Hall and they did transcribe that one - you can find it on Accio Quote! And a few of them were summarized in various articles with some of the questions and answers mentioned. But the majority of those are not available in transcript form as far as I know. I'm hopeful they will turn up online someday.

But you can find some from fans who attended. I found the clarification about Ron's job on another forum - their daughter had attended the reading in Toronto and she posted pics from the event and a summary of what Jo talked about.

Faith Meets J.K. RowlingMy 13 year old daughter had the opportunity of a lifetime this past Tuesday. She attended a reading and Q&A with JK Rowling at the historic Wintergarden Theatre in Toronto, 3rd row seats no less!! She cried when Ms. Rowling came on stage and was thrilled to the high heavens when she said she liked Faith's hair. The questions were pre picked so she didn't get to ask whatever became of Dudley. Ms. Rowling talked about the birth of the idea of Quiddich and how she wanted it to reflect women's ability to multi task, the seed of the idea came after a 'run in' with an old boyfriend. She also said that she knew the ending of the book when she started. She told the audience that after Ron became an Auror he moonlighted in George's joke shop because 'Ron needed the money and George needed the companionship. I've also included a picture of my 16 year old Marley dressed up as Bellatrix Lestrange on the eve of the release of 'The Deathly Hallows'.

Hope that helps.

Old May 29th, 2009, 12:26 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
The quote was from part 1 of the Pottercast interview with J.K. Rowling - I labeled it with the fieldset tags. You can look it up at TLC by following the link to the Pottercast page - where you can either listen to the podcast or read a transcript of it.

You can also look that up on Accio Quote! - a very useful site that has archived nearly all of the interviews that Jo has given as well as info from her official website. You can find a transcript of the questions and answers from the live web chat Jo did after DH was released there as well - that was where the question about George came up that caused the confusion about Ron's job. They have things organized by date with summaries or you can use the search feature if you are looking for specific terms. If you're looking for a quote from Jo, that would be the first place to look cause they have almost everything.

Much more difficult to find are the questions Jo answered during those readings that she gave in October, 2007 because not all of them were transcribed and released. Someone from TLC attended the one at Carnegie Hall and they did transcribe that one - you can find it on Accio Quote! And a few of them were summarized in various articles with some of the questions and answers mentioned. But the majority of those are not available in transcript form as far as I know. I'm hopeful they will turn up online someday.

But you can find some from fans who attended. I found the clarification about Ron's job on another forum - their daughter had attended the reading in Toronto and she posted pics from the event and a summary of what Jo talked about.

Faith Meets J.K. RowlingMy 13 year old daughter had the opportunity of a lifetime this past Tuesday. She attended a reading and Q&A with JK Rowling at the historic Wintergarden Theatre in Toronto, 3rd row seats no less!! She cried when Ms. Rowling came on stage and was thrilled to the high heavens when she said she liked Faith's hair. The questions were pre picked so she didn't get to ask whatever became of Dudley. Ms. Rowling talked about the birth of the idea of Quiddich and how she wanted it to reflect women's ability to multi task, the seed of the idea came after a 'run in' with an old boyfriend. She also said that she knew the ending of the book when she started. She told the audience that after Ron became an Auror he moonlighted in George's joke shop because 'Ron needed the money and George needed the companionship. I've also included a picture of my 16 year old Marley dressed up as Bellatrix Lestrange on the eve of the release of 'The Deathly Hallows'.

Hope that helps.
Thanks meesha

Quote:
Ally, I think perhaps that meesha got it from a interview by JK
Yes, I know that lol, but I wouldn't have known where to look.

Old June 29th, 2009, 7:03 pm
Second Year

I'm not sure if I missed something or not, but...

in The Goblet of Fire, right at the beginning when Harry sees Frank Bryce get killed, he sees it through a third person point of view. He says he saw Frank fall dead and saw what Voldemort looked like in the chair. I assumed he saw this because of how he saw stuff from Voldemort (like Avery, Sirius, Nagini attacking Mr. Weasley) but if that is the case, why didn't he see this scene as Voldemort? Was it a mistake, or did they end up explaining it?

Old June 29th, 2009, 7:39 pm
First Year

What I'd like to know is....
What did Snape do in his free time for all those years when Voldemort was first destroyed by baby Harry, when Snape didn't have to be a double agent. Like, what did he do on his summer vacations? Makes you wonder if Snape had any hobbies. Probably just spent his holidays reading up on books about the dark arts.

Last edited by Melfina; June 29th, 2009 at 7:53 pm.
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:08 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melfina View Post
What I'd like to know is....
What did Snape do in his free time for all those years when Voldemort was first destroyed by baby Harry, when Snape didn't have to be a double agent. Like, what did he do on his summer vacations? Makes you wonder if Snape had any hobbies. Probably just spent his holidays reading up on books about the dark arts.
He was teacher by then and probably did what other teacher do during their summer holidays. Preparing for next year, testing some potions, thinking about how to bother Harry...you know the usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno View Post

in The Goblet of Fire, right at the beginning when Harry sees Frank Bryce get killed, he sees it through a third person point of view. He says he saw Frank fall dead and saw what Voldemort looked like in the chair. I assumed he saw this because of how he saw stuff from Voldemort (like Avery, Sirius, Nagini attacking Mr. Weasley) but if that is the case, why didn't he see this scene as Voldemort? Was it a mistake, or did they end up explaining it?
Sometimes he sees it with Nagini's eyes sometimes with Voldemort's. Could it depend on whether Voldemort "allows" Harry to watch his mind? When it was "accidentally" he sees the things through Nagini's eyes, when Voldemort wanted it to happen like in Sirius case, then it went via him. No idea, to be honest, that's my only guess.

The End of the Dream.
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

What did Voldemort do before he first came to power in the 70's? I think it was about 30 years since he killed Hepzibah Smith. He made a horcrux about that time. I think it was his second or third. First, when he killed Myrtle, then he killed his father and his grandparents, then what happened? Not sure when he went back to Hogwarts to ask for a teaching position. It's still a long time when he wasn't doing anything.

Old June 29th, 2009, 11:39 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno View Post

Before Voldemort is returned to his body, Harry sees his visions/dreams from a third person perspective. It is only after Voldemort is returned to his body at the end of GoF that Harry starts to see his visions/dreams from Voldemort's perspective. When Harry sees through Nagini, it is because Voldemort is possessing Nagini at the time as Snape explains in OotP.

OotP, Occlumency 'You seem to have visited the snake's mind because that was where the Dark Lord was at that particular moment,' snarled Snape.'he was possessing the snake at the time and so you dreamed you were inside it, too.'

Old July 1st, 2009, 6:00 am
First Year

1 question what did Dumbledore really see when he looked into the mirror

We are given: two hands to hold, two ears to see, two eyes to see, but why only one heart?? Because the other one was given to someone else for us to find!!
Old July 1st, 2009, 6:05 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralma97 View Post
I forget whether this has been officially answered or not, but I imagine he saw much the same thing Harry did: his family, alive, well, and whole.

Old July 1st, 2009, 6:05 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralma97 View Post
He saw his family, just like Harry.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 3:52 am
First Year

These all have to do with the family tree
1. Who are Harry's grandparents? ( Mostly on James' side)
2. If many characters like Sirius, Malfoy etc.. All have easily known ancestors why does Harry not have the same?
3. In the Black family many females married other pure-blood males, where did those families come from?
4. Who founded the magical world in general e.g. Schools, Minestry etc..

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References