Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Unanswered Questions

Old October 31st, 2008, 6:35 pm
First Year

Re: Unanswered Questions

Re : Naguini's wounds
How come Snape dies so quick that Hermione can't use Dittany on it ? I mean, Voldy knew he'd die as he didn't care to check and left as soon as Snape fell to the ground.
Yet it took much much longer for Arthur to be found and brought to StMungo and he was healed, so you'd think Voldy would've checked. I seem to remember Naguini stroke twice Arthur,a nd only once Snape (but I might be wrong)
It puzzles me, though, the difference between these 2 cases. Arthru can survive long enough to be healed, while Snape has hardly time to give Harry his memories then dies.

Old November 1st, 2008, 12:22 pm
Malum Veneficus

I've been wondering about what happened to those who didnt have OWLs or NEWTs. In the CoS exams were canceled and in HBP they didnt take their exams because of DD's death, how did seventh years got thier job, and how did fifth years like Ginny chose their subjects the following year?

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old November 1st, 2008, 6:31 pm
First Year

i have a couple of questions:

1) What would've happened if someone had stabbed Voldemort with say, a Basilisk fang, when he was in his stunted form without a body?
2) What would've happened if someone AKd Voldemort when he was back to his proper body? Would he have returned to the form he was in after he tried to kill Harry?

Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:58 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I've been wondering about what happened to those who didnt have OWLs or NEWTs. In the CoS exams were canceled and in HBP they didnt take their exams because of DD's death, how did seventh years got thier job, and how did fifth years like Ginny chose their subjects the following year?
I think it was just the school intern examinations which were canceled not the OWL's and NEWT's taken by the ministry. Another possibility is that the students had to take them over the summer at the ministry. But you're right, we don't know. All we know is that Harry Ron and Hermione never took their NEWTs, but all of them had ministry careers that ordinarily require top grade NEWTs. But that was of course a special case.

I also woneder what happened to all the muggleborn pupils who couln't start or missed a whole year at Hogwarts during DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooerr View Post
1) What would've happened if someone had stabbed Voldemort with say, a Basilisk fang, when he was in his stunted form without a body?
Nothing, as long as at least one Horcrux is still intact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooerr View Post
2) What would've happened if someone AKd Voldemort when he was back to his proper body? Would he have returned to the form he was in after he tried to kill Harry?
Yes, as long as he had a Horcrux his body would die and he would return to that 'less than a ghost' status.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 1:30 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murzim View Post

I also woneder what happened to all the muggleborn pupils who couln't start or missed a whole year at Hogwarts during DH.
I think they just had larger classes than normal for each Year level in the next few years after DH. I think that the would be 1st year Muggleborns denied their rightful place at Hogwarts during DH would have been allowed and encouraged to start First Year at age 12 instead of 11 at Hogwarts the September after DH instead. They'd be with the Muggleborn, Half and Half, and Pureblood kids who were only 10 years old on Septmeber 1st when DH started who would then be 11 the September after DH. I think the Muggleborn kids who were in 1st-6th year at the end of HBP were allowed to contunue where they'd left off after DH. They'd just start their 2nd-7th years one year later than they should have. Harry felt sick in DH when he thought of the Muggleborn kids eagerly awaiting to start Year 1 at Hogwarts who would not be able to. I strongly suspect he'd have suggested the kids get their chance at Hogwarts after DH. Harry being a hero and all, somehow I doubt his suggestion would have been ignored. Especially with Kingsley Shacklebolt as Minister For Magic, and Minerva McGonagall as Headmistress. I don't think they'd have had too much trouble finding room for the extra kids. These people could make two man tents on the outside have the space of a 3 room flat on the inside. They could also make normal Muggle cars carry 7 kids, 2 parents, several pets, and 7 trunks. How hard would it be to make the dormitories sleep 8 or 10 or 12 and not 5?

Tuesday. Hot. That lot from across the marsh have been at it again. Playing a stupid game on their broomsticks. A big leather ball landed in my cabbages. I hexed the man who came for it. I’d like to see him fly with his knees on back to front, the great hairy hog.
Giggles. Snorts. Gertie Keddle, I salute you. Wipes tears from eyes.
Old November 8th, 2008, 5:38 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murzim View Post

I think they were allowed to come back, and recieve their last year of education with other seventh years.

EDIT: sorry I didnt notice the post above!

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:58 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxsword View Post
Re : Naguini's wounds
How come Snape dies so quick that Hermione can't use Dittany on it ? I mean, Voldy knew he'd die as he didn't care to check and left as soon as Snape fell to the ground.
Yet it took much much longer for Arthur to be found and brought to StMungo and he was healed, so you'd think Voldy would've checked. I seem to remember Naguini stroke twice Arthur,a nd only once Snape (but I might be wrong)
It puzzles me, though, the difference between these 2 cases. Arthru can survive long enough to be healed, while Snape has hardly time to give Harry his memories then dies.
It is my opinion that with Arthur the wounds were not over any major arteries or veins, whereas I'm pretty sure that Nagini went straight for the neck and the nerves and arteries there, which would kill Snape quickly.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:51 am
First Year

Do you think Voldemort's Boggart would take the shape of Death?
His dead body, right? Should've done my googling before I asked.

One more question about Voldemort. Why didn't he try to get the Philosopher's stone earlier? Unlike Horcruxes, its existence was a well known fact. It was on chocolate frog cards! He could've gained immortality without making horcruxes. One possible reason is that he wanted to do something no other wizard had done before. It might've intrigued him more because it was dark magic. Or was it for the sake of the plot? Anyway, does the elixir of life make someone Avada Kedavra proof?
Sorry if it's been already answered, but there are too many posts and a lot of JK Rowling's interviews...

Last edited by mariella; November 17th, 2008 at 10:21 pm.
Old November 19th, 2008, 8:45 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariella View Post
Do you think Voldemort's Boggart would take the shape of Death?
His dead body, right? Should've done my googling before I asked.
Yes, mariella, you are correct! JKR confirmed this in an interview.

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/...t-anelli-2.htm

Quote:
Anelli, Melissa and Emerson Spartz. "The Leaky Cauldron and MuggleNet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Two," The Leaky Cauldron, 16 July 2005

ES: MuggleNet “Ask Jo” contest winner Asrial, who’s 22, asks, “If Voldemort saw a boggart, what would it be?”
JKR: Voldemort's fear is death, ignominious death. I mean, he regards death itself as ignominious. He thinks that it's a shameful human weakness, as you know. His worst fear is death, but how would a boggart show that? I'm not too sure. I did think about that because I knew you were going to ask me that.
ES: A corpse?
JKR: That was my conclusion, that he would see himself dead.

Quote:
One more question about Voldemort. Why didn't he try to get the Philosopher's stone earlier? Unlike Horcruxes, its existence was a well known fact. It was on chocolate frog cards! He could've gained immortality without making horcruxes. .
In HBP, Dumbledore shares his opinions with Harry, on why he thinks that Voldemort prefered to use Horcruxes, .

Quote:
HBP, Chapter23, 'Horcruxes'
'Why couldn't he make a Philosopher's Stone, or steal one, if he was so interested in immortality?
'Well, we know that he tried to do just that, five years ago.' said Dumbledore. 'But there are several reasons why, I think, a Philosopher's Stone would appeal less than Horcruxes to Lord Voldemort.
'While the Elixir of Life does indeed extend life, it must be drunk regularly, for all eternity, if the drink is to maintain his immortality. Therefore, Voldemort would be entirely dependant on the Elixir, and if it ran out, or was contaminated, or if the Stone was stolen, he would die just like any other man. Voldemort likes to operate alone, remember. I believe that he would have found the thought of being dependant, even on the Elixir, intolerable, Of course he was prepared to drink it if it would take him out of the horrible part-life to which he was condemned after attacking you, but only to regain a body.

Old November 19th, 2008, 10:38 am
First Year

I guess it's time for me to reread the HBP. Thanks a lot!

Old December 11th, 2008, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny_Spinner View Post
We kow how to get into the Gryffindor, Ravenclaw And Slytherin common rooms...how do you get into Hufflepuff?
JKR, answered this questions during the live webchat in 2007.

Quote:
J.K. Rowling and the Live Chat, Bloomsbury.com, July 30, 2007

Smallbutpowerful: On behalf of all harry potter fans who consider themselves to be hufflepuffs could you please describe the hufflepuff common room as it is the only common room harry hasn.t visited

J.K. Rowling: The Hufflepuff common room is accessed through a portrait near the kitchens, as I am sure you have deduced. Sorry - I should say 'painting' rather than portrait, because it is a still-life.
It is a very cosy and welcoming place, as dissimilar as possible from Snape's dungeon. Lots of yellow hangings, and fat armchairs, and little underground tunnels leading to the dormitories, all of which have perfectly round doors, like barrel tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelikeluna View Post
What were the Death Eater's patronuses (Mainly Voldemort, Bellatrix, and Lucius)?
She has also answered this question. Death Eaters don't need to use Patronuses.

Quote:
Samantha: Was snape the only death eater who could produce a full patronus

J.K. Rowling: Yes, because a Patronus is used against things that the Death Eaters generally generate, or fight alongside. They would not need Patronuses

Old January 5th, 2009, 12:47 am
Banned

How are portraits made? I have this theory that the soul or spirit of the person who died like get's magical transferred from the body to a portrait after the person dies and that's what animates it, but I'm almost positive that my theory isn't true. Did JKR ever answer this? It might have been mentioned in DH, but I don't own the book so I can't look back for reference.

Old January 5th, 2009, 1:05 am
Second Year

I;ve wondered that too. And what about things like chocolate frog cards, which are sometimes made when the person is alive. What would happen then, because Ron said on the Hogwarts Express that they liked to move around... that would mean there could be maybe 30 Dumbledores in one portrait! Or did i miss something?

Old January 5th, 2009, 11:13 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
How are portraits made? I have this theory that the soul or spirit of the person who died like get's magical transferred from the body to a portrait after the person dies and that's what animates it, but I'm almost positive that my theory isn't true. Did JKR ever answer this? It might have been mentioned in DH, but I don't own the book so I can't look back for reference.
Here's what JKR is saying about portraits:
jkrowling.com/faqs
Q: All the paintings we have seen at Hogwarts are of dead people. They seem to be living through their paintings. How is this so? If there was a painting of Harry’s parents, would he be able to obtain advice from them?

A: That is a very good question. They are all of dead people; they are not as fully realised as ghosts, as you have probably noticed. The place where you see them really talk is in Dumbledore’s office, primarily; the idea is that the previous headmasters and headmistresses leave behind a faint imprint of themselves. They leave their aura, almost, in the office and they can give some counsel to the present occupant, but it is not like being a ghost. They repeat catchphrases, almost. The portrait of Sirius’ mother is not a very 3D personality; she is not very fully realised. She repeats catchphrases that she had when she was alive. If Harry had a portrait of his parents it would not help him a great deal. If he could meet them as ghosts, that would be a much more meaningful interaction, but as Nick explained at the end of Phoenix—I am straying into dangerous territory, but I think you probably know what he explained—there are some people who would not come back as ghosts because they are unafraid, or less afraid, of death.

-----------------

I have one. We know that Fenrir bit Remus and that he did that because of some business between Remus' father and Fenrir. Do we know what kind of business that was?

The End of the Dream.
Old January 6th, 2009, 8:39 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
The Hufflepuff common room is accessed through a portrait near the kitchens, as I am sure you have deduced. Sorry - I should say 'painting' rather than portrait, because it is a still-life.
It is a very cosy and welcoming place, as dissimilar as possible from Snape's dungeon. Lots of yellow hangings, and fat armchairs, and little underground tunnels leading to the dormitories, all of which have perfectly round doors, like barrel tops.
HeeHee, this makes the Hufflepuffs sound like hobbits. Especially the round doors!

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old January 6th, 2009, 9:24 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi
I have one. We know that Fenrir bit Remus and that he did that because of some business between Remus' father and Fenrir. Do we know what kind of business that was?
It is not specified if the two did have any business between them:
HBP, A Very Frosty Christmas, Ch. 16, Page 335, American, HB"It was Greyback who bit me...My father had offended him.

All we know is Remus' father offended Fenrir, though how/why/etc. is still unknown.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigwijon View Post
And what about things like chocolate frog cards, which are sometimes made when the person is alive. What would happen then, because Ron said on the Hogwarts Express that they liked to move around... that would mean there could be maybe 30 Dumbledores in one portrait! Or did i miss something?
I think the chocolate frog cards are probably like the wizard photographs, that move but unlike the portraits do not talk. In CoS, Colin Creevey mentions using a potion to make the photographs move. Maybe, the same or a similar potion is used to make the pictures on the chocolate frog cards move.

Colin Creevey, CoS, Chapter 6
'and a boy in my dormitory said if I develop the film in the right potion the pictures'll move.'

Old January 17th, 2009, 8:17 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigwijon View Post
... that would mean there could be maybe 30 Dumbledores in one portrait! Or did i miss something?
I don't quite get that either. In Phineas Nigelus case there seems to be one figure moving between the portraits, i.e. his portrait self is either at Hogwarts or in his other painting. That gave me the idea, that maybe there can be only one life-like portrait-self of a witch or wizard, and the magical paintings are like frames for that existance. If a picture-wizard has more than one portrait, it's like having more than one house to live in, he can choose where to stay, but he can't be at two places at once.

Moving photos (and that IMO includes choclate frog cards) are different, IMO there can be an unlimited number of photographic-selves of a person, their possibility to act is far more limited than a paintings. They can move but they can't talk and they can hide or leave the picures but I don't think they can go to another photo, much less into a painting.

Last edited by Murzim; January 17th, 2009 at 8:41 pm.
Old January 25th, 2009, 4:15 am
First Year

Was Theodore Nott's fathers name ever revealed? The only references I've found so far simply refer to him as "Senior Nott" or "Nott Senior" ... did JK Rowling ever divulge his first name anywhere?

Old January 25th, 2009, 5:02 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Nott View Post
Was Theodore Nott's fathers name ever revealed? The only references I've found so far simply refer to him as "Senior Nott" or "Nott Senior" ... did JK Rowling ever divulge his first name anywhere?
I've checked the Harry Potter Encyclopedia site and it says he is listed as Mr. Nott no first name .

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References