Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Unanswered Questions

Old July 30th, 2007, 2:36 am
Second Year

Re: Unanswered Questions

Quote:
Why is Snape really horrible to Neville?
Snape is always horrible to Neville because he was the other one that the prophecy could have been refering too. Probably every day snape remembers lily and the fact that if voldemort had gone after Neville instead Harry then Lily would still be alive.

this is baby E signing off
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2007, 5:42 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
Sirius may well just have rented a flat - it doesn't say he actually bought anything, as far as I can remember.
Where is it said that he rented a flat (or bought a house)? I don't remember ever seeing that, all I remember is that he ran away at 16 and stayed with the Potters.

Old July 30th, 2007, 8:53 am
Second Year

I was looking through this thread and i found that there were ALOT of realy fascinatng questions, and also ALOT of questions that were just being repeated, so i thought i would write up a list of all of the questions that have been asked so far and i added a few of my own. Im sorry that i didnt reference everyone that asked questions, but thank you to you all!

Im going to post the answers to the questions that have already been covered too..

If anyone can think of any other questions let me know and i will add it to the list!

THE DURSLEYS
  1. What did Dudley see with the Dementors?
  2. What did Dumbledore mean about the Dursleys harming Dudley? was Dudley supposed to have gotten a Hogwarts letter?
  3. What was behind Dudley's transformation
  4. Also, J.K. stated that Dumbledore had kept in contact with her before. Is this a reference to the fact that she had written him years ago begging to be accepted to Hogwarts or had she written him years later, just prior to Lily's death?
  5. What is it that dumbledore is referring to 'Remember my last, Petunia.’
  6. What happened to the Dursleys after they went into hiding? Did Harry ever catch up with them after?
  7. What is it Petunia wants to say to Harry when she finds herself alone with him for the last time

THE POTTER’S & THE EVENTS SURROUNDING THEIR DEATHS
  1. What were the contents of the letter Albus left on the doorstep with baby Harry?
  2. How did James and Lily defy Voldemort three times? How did the Longbottom’s do it?
  3. What were Harrys' parents professions?
  4. Was Crookshanks originally the Potters' cat?
  5. Why didn't either of Harry's parents have their wands on them the night Voldemort came after them? Had they been planning what they did?
  6. Why didn’t James become secret keeper for Godric’s Hollow like Bill Weasley did for Shell Cottage and Arthur Weasley for the Burrow?
  7. How did Hagrid retrieve Harry from the ruins of his parents' house if he was not told the location by the secret-keeper?
  8. What was the ancient magic that Lily used to save Harry?
  9. How did Dumbledore know what had happened at Godric's Hollow? He knew within 24 hours that Lily had died for Harry and that consequently Harry would be safe with his mother's family and was able to create the neccessary charm around 4 Privet Drive.
  10. What happened in the one day before Harry was brought to the Dursleys?
  11. Why did James and lily marry? What happened to redeem him in her mind?
  12. Why are we told that James's wand was excellent for Transfiguration and Lily's was good for Charms?
  13. If Voldemort lost his body at Godric's Hollow, then who retrieved his wand?

MAGICAL RELATIONS
  1. Were the Peverell brothers descendents of Salazar Slytherin, or were the Gaunts descended from him by way of a different line?
  2. Considering that Harry and Voldemort were both descendents of the Peveralls, what relation to each other were they??

WHAT HAPPENED TO…
  1. The Malfoy’s
  2. Hagrid
  3. Minerva McGonagall
  4. Luna Lovegood
  5. Xenophilus Lovegood
  6. The Weasley’s – specifically George
  7. Dennis Creevey
  8. Dean Thomas
  9. Lavender Brown
  10. specifically did she become a werewolf
  11. Seamus Finnigan
  12. The Patil Twins
  13. Lee Jordan
  14. Did he continue Potterwatch
  15. Alicia Spinnet/Angelina Johnson/the rest of the Gryffindor quidditch team
  16. Cormac McClaggan
  17. Cho Chang & the other Ravenclaw members of the DA
  18. Hannah Abbot
  19. Susan Bones
  20. Zacharius Smith
  21. Justin Finch-Fletchly
  22. Ernie Macmillan
  23. Gregory Goyle
  24. Pansy Parkinson
  25. Blaise Zabini
  26. Professors Flitwick, Slughorn and Sprout
  27. Firenze & the other centaurs
  28. Grawp
  29. The other members of the Order of the Phoenix
  30. The other Death Eaters
  31. Bagman
  32. Florean Fortescue
  33. Aberforth Dumbledore
  34. Madam Rosmerta
  35. Rita Skeeter
  36. The granger’s
  37. Winky
  38. Griphook
  39. Crookshanks
  40. Fang
  41. Buckbeak
  42. Pig
  43. Mrs Norris
  44. Filch & the other teachers and employees of Hogwarts
  45. Fluffy
  46. Fawkes
  47. Umbridge

THE EPILOGUE
  1. Which Weasley was the father of Victoire?
  2. What was Percy doing at the Station? Was he still pompous even after all the events of the book – Harry is ‘glad of a reason not to stop and say hello’
  3. Who did Draco Marry?
  4. What jobs did the trio end up having?
  5. Who did Teddy Tonks live with?
  6. Why aren't more families Harry and the others know at King's Cross waiting on the Hogwarts train? Seems like there'd be other former students they knew waiting there with their own kids, like Draco Malfoy...

HOGWARTS
  1. Who was Headmaster or Headmistress after Snape?
  2. Did Snape get a portrait?
  3. Did Voldemort's curse lift off the DADA job?
  4. Did Harry, Ron & Hermione ever go back to do their 7th year at Hogwarts or sit their NEWTs?
  5. Was it just the Muggleborns who were delayed a year in finishing their Hogwarts education? or did everyone have to repeat that year?
  6. Who exactly died at the Battle of Hogwarts? We're never given a definitive list

SNAPE
  1. Who was Snape's source that provided him with the information of Harry's departure from Privet Drive? If it was Dumbledore's portrait, who did Snape say was the source? And where did the portrait get that information?
  2. Did Snape really help in the capture and death of Emmeline Vance as he said in HBP?
  3. Did Snape have a funeral akin to Dumbledores considering his role in Voldy's downfall?
  4. And how did Snape get into the Headmaster's office before he became headmaster?
  5. What was Snape's animagus?
  6. What was Snape's boggart and his greatest fear?
  7. Assumedly Snape was given the choice between Gryffindor and Slytherin (Dumbledore's comment to him- perhaps we sort to early) why did he chose Slytherin esp after Lily was made a Gryffindor.)
  8. Did Snape end up loving/caring for Harry? Did he do so from the beginning? When he replys “Always” to Dumbledore after doing the patronus what does he mean? He cares for Harry?or “Always” has done or he only loves Lily?
  9. Did Snape end up loving/caring for Harry? Did he do so from the beginning? When he replys “Always” to Dumbledore after doing the patronus what does he mean? He cares for Harry? or “Always” has done or he only loves Lily?
  10. Was Snape jealous of Harrys relationship with Dumbledore? i.e did Snape see a father figure in Dumbeldore or something?

THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
  1. How did Dumbledore defeat Grindelwald in a duel if Grindelwald had the elder wand?
  2. why did voldemort not know of the deathly hallows
  3. How did Malfoy become the master of the Elder Wand?
  4. What happened to the Resurrection Stone? I know they just left it in the forest, but did anyone ever find it?
  5. How did Grindelwald become master of the Elder Wand? He stole it from gregorovich

MAGIC, SPELLS AND CURSES
  1. What curse did Molly use to kill Bellatrix?
  2. How did Voldemort manage to fly, where did he learn it?
  3. Why was Harry able to see into Voldemort's thoughts again? Did Voldemort stop exercising occlumency?
  4. If Bill Weasley was the Secret-Keeper for Shell Cottage, how was Ron able to speak its name and location in the Malfoys' dungeon? And how was Harry able to see it when he and Dobby first arrived?
  5. Did we find out what spell Dumbledore used in OotP?
  6. If Ariana gave up magical tendencies after her run in with the muggles, then why werent the dursleys able to quash the magic out of harry when they tried so hard to do so??
  7. what was the spell snape did on the sword of grifindor
  8. How did the sword of Gryffindor end up back in the hat?

THE LINK BETWEEN HARRY AND VOLDEMORT
  1. If Voldemort having Harry's blood kept Harry from really dying so long as Voldemort was alive, does that mean that Harry would have been protected from anyone's killing curse, or only Voldemort's? and how far would that protection have extended to other, more destructive, methods of killing him?
  2. When the part of Voldemort’s soul, inside, Harry, was destroyed, could he still speak parseltounge?
  3. Does Harry still have the extraordinary powers that made him unique?
  4. A patronus will go to the person intended. The place is not important. Why did Dumbledore wait until Phineas came with the information of the place Harry was staying at before telling Snape to send the Sword and the silver doe?
  5. what was the magic harrys wand did on his own
  6. How did Harry escape the killing curse once again? The Avada Kedavra kills; it does not distinfuish between a soul and a soul or is the spell designed to distinguish between the host soul for a lack of a better word and a foreign soul?
  7. Why did Dumbledore (and Voldemort) insist that Voldemort had to kill Harry? Wouldn't anybody else have done as well? The horcrux would still have been destroyed and Harry still wouldn't have died because Voldemort had some of his blood in him

REGULUS BLACK
  1. Why did Regulus regret his former decisions
  2. How did Regulus find out about the Horcruxes and know Voldemort had more than 1?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
  1. Did Dumbledore kill his sister?
  2. Why was Dumbledore so uncaring of Snape when Snape was the only man in Voldy's inner circle and was sacrificing so much?
  3. The way Dumbledore dismisses Snape's death speaks poorly of him. Why did
  4. Dumbledore not make provisions to ensure Snape and Harry would meet and work together?
  5. How did Albus Dumbledore break his nose the second time
  6. Why was Dumbledore so uncaring of Snape whose contribution to the Light was so phenomenal and valuable. Dumbledore could not have done half the things he has if it weren't for Snape. Why was he treated like scum?
  7. Why did Dumbledore not give a portrait to Harry? Everything would have been so simple.
  8. Could Dumbledore see through invisibility cloaks?In general or just Harrys becouse he had on of the Hallows?
  9. Was Dumbledore a good man?

THINGS JK HAS TALKED ABOUT IN INTERVIEWS
  1. Who got a reprieve from death?
  2. What were the other titles for the book?
  3. Who was managed magic late in life?
  4. Will JKR ever release the entire Black Family Tree or the contents of Nature's Nobility?
  5. Why do some wizards turn into ghosts, and others don't?
  6. Lily green eyes? What was the significance? Harry's glasses, why are they important?
  7. Why did Harry have to wear glasses? JKR commented on the Italian audiobook cover of HP I think, when they had Harry without glasses "Can't they see that is his weakness?" was what she said. What weakness?

THE DEPARTMENT OF MYSTERIES
  1. Where did the Veil come from and what was its purpose?
  2. And what about the locked "Love Room" in the MoM?
  3. What about the other rooms (the brains, the planets)

MISC THINGS IN THE BOOK
  1. Is Draco Malfoy a werewolf??
  2. What do they do with Voldemort's body?
  3. How did Kreacher get to Hogwarts?
  4. Was Tom Riddle ever mentioned in that book Percy had, Prefects Who Gained Power?
  5. If Ron's imitation of Harry speaking Parseltongue was sufficient to open the Chamber of Secrets, does that mean that anyone can learn to speak/understand Parseltongue? (like to the extent of being able to understand what a Parselmouth is saying, but not necessarily what a snake is saying?)
  6. Did Harry ever return Draco's wand to him?
  7. Who ended up the new Minister of Magic?
  8. How did Hagrid get away from all those spiders?? Did Voldy intervene?
  9. How did Aberforth get the other mirror?
  10. What did Dumbledore actually see in the Mirror of Erised in the first book?
  11. How did Ron and Hermoine enter the Chamber of Secrets without knowing parseltongue?
  12. What happened to McGonagall? Is she the new headmistress?
  13. Where did Harry really go in the chapter "King's Cross"?
  14. How did Aberforth know to contact Harry at important times?
  15. What happened to Umbridge the night she was taken by the Centaurs
  16. Who was the leader of the Order of the Phoenix through the book?
  17. what was the point of the fight between lupin and harry?
  18. what happened (exactly) to Ariana Dumbledore?

EVENTS AFTER THE ENDING OF DH
  1. Did Harry ever go back to Godric's Hollow and into the house-turned-shrine?
  2. Did anyone ever suggest Harry Potter as Minister of/for Magic?
  3. What house did Albus Severus Potter end up in? and Lily?
  4. Does Harry ever let any of his kids take either the Cloak or the Marauder's Map to Hogwarts?
  5. Why isn't Harry taking care of Teddy Remus?
  6. Does Harry still have his invisibility cloak?
  7. Does Kreacher still serve Harry?
  8. Where do Harry and his family live?
  9. What happened to the issues that plagued the wizarding world?
  10. What happened to Hermione's SPEW?
  11. Kingsley Shacklebolt is the new Minster of Magic. What changes does he make at the Ministry? Does he sack Umbridge?
  12. Does Ollivander re-open his wand shop in Diagon Alley?

MISC
  1. Are house elves freed or treated differently now?
  2. If the Dementors can breed, do they raise baby Dementors? or do Dementors come into being already fully able to fend for themselves?
  3. How come Voldemort repeated all of his mistakes from the first time around?
  4. why did tonks and lupin have to die?
  5. Where are the other Potters?
  6. Sirius died before he could clear his name. He was still known to the wizarding world as the man who betrayed the Potters. Did the Ministry give him a posthumous pardon?

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:22 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnaxela View Post
[font="Trebuchet MS"]

WHAT HAPPENED TO…
Lavender Brown - specifically did she become a werewolf
Lupin wasn't mentioned as being in werewolf form that night so I suspect the same happened to Lavender as to Bill.

Quote:
THE EPILOGUE
Which Weasley was the father of Victoire?
Bill

Quote:
HOGWARTS
Did Voldemort's curse lift off the DADA job?
Yes

Quote:
SNAPE
Who was Snape's source that provided him with the information of Harry's departure from Privet Drive? If it was Dumbledore's portrait, who did Snape say was the source? And where did the portrait get that information?
It seems to be the other way round: Dumbledore's portrait suggested to Snape to Confund Mundungus that Polyjuice be used to disguise six Harrys. Dumbledore's portrait seemed to know the correct date already, so one of the Order must have told it.

Quote:
THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
why did voldemort not know of the deathly hallows
As Dumbledore said, Voldemort does not value children's stories.
Quote:
How did Malfoy become the master of the Elder Wand?
Malfoy Disarmed Dumbledore on the Astronomy Tower, thereby gaining mastership of the Elder Wand.

Quote:
REGULUS BLACK
How did Regulus find out about the Horcruxes and know Voldemort had more than 1?
He didn't. He thought that destroying the locket would make Voldemort mortal and therefore someone else would be able to kill him.

Quote:
THINGS JK HAS TALKED ABOUT IN INTERVIEWS
Who got a reprieve from death?
Arthur Weasley
Quote:
What were the other titles for the book?
One was "Harry Potter and the Elder Wand"
Quote:
Why do some wizards turn into ghosts, and others don't?
It seems to be connected to being afraid of death.
Quote:
Lily green eyes? What was the significance? Harry's glasses, why are they important?
Harry's eyes being like Lily's remind Snape to protect Harry out of a duty to Lily. Harry's glasses show his vulnerability.

Quote:
MISC THINGS IN THE BOOK[*]How did Aberforth get the other mirror?
Mundungus sold it to him in HBP (Silver and Opals)
Quote:
How did Ron and Hermoine enter the Chamber of Secrets without knowing parseltongue?
Ron imitated it to get in.

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:42 am
First Year

In book 6, when Dumbledore takes Harry in to the memories, how does Dumbledore seem to understand what the Gaunts are saying when its all in Parceltongue?

maybe he speaks parsletongue[/quote]

lol i dont think dumbledore could speak parcel tongue

hey also thanks jenny.

i have another question!
why does dumbledore ask snape to tell harry that he is a horcrux, why not mcgonagal or lupin, who harry trusts already. doesnt poor snape have a tough enough life after dumbledores death anyway?(dumbledore is so cruel to snape, me thinks)

Last edited by HannahAdams; July 30th, 2007 at 10:49 am.
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:25 pm
Second Year

THE DURSLEYS
What did Dudley see with the Dementors?
I was really hoping to find out the answer to this one..
So far the ideas that I have read about are that he either a) witnessed the terrible things he and his parents had done to Harry or b) that he saw what his life would be like if he was orphaned by Harry (although I think that would be more of a Boggart than something that he would see with the Dementors as they show you your worst memories don’t they?)
These threads will be of interest to this question Im sure:
Dudley Demented: What did Dudley See/Hear
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....dley+dementors
Dudley "Big D" Dursley: Character Analysis
Dudley "Big D" Dursley: Character Analysis DH Version

What did Dumbledore mean about the Dursleys harming Dudley? was Dudley supposed to have gotten a Hogwarts letter?
I don’t think Dudley was supposed to get a letter – I think that is the sort of thing that JK would tell us in the books and Dudley has shown no evience of magical skill. I think what Dumbledore was referring to was the fact that Dudley had been abused in that he had grown to be selfish, loveless (although that changed somewhat in DH), and obese.
What was behind Dudley's transformation
The book would lead us to believe that it was due to Harry saving his life, but is it possible that it also had something to do with what he saw with the Dementors?
This thread may also be of help here too:
Dudley "Big D" Dursley: Character Analysis DH Version

Also, J.K. stated that Dumbledore had kept in contact with her before. Is this a reference to the fact that she had written him years ago begging to be accepted to Hogwarts or had she written him years later, just prior to Lily's death?
I believe that this was reference to the letters exchanged when Petunia wished to be accepted into Hogwarts.
These threads may be of help here:
Petunia Evans Dursley : Character Analysis
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=107842
So Dumbledore's LAST is not his FIRST...
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....nia+dumbledore

What is it that dumbledore is referring to 'Remember my last, Petunia.’
This is the link to JK’s official FAQ where she addresses this
What did Dumbledore's Howler to Aunt Petunia mean? ('Remember my last'?) http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/faq_view.cfm?id=55

What happened to the Dursleys after they went into hiding? Did Harry ever catch up with them after?

What is it Petunia wants to say to Harry when she finds herself alone with him for the last time
What was Aunt Petunia going to say?
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....hlight=petunia

THE POTTER’S & THE EVENTS SURROUNDING THEIR DEATHS
What were the contents of the letter Albus left on the doorstep with baby Harry?
Im really of the opinion that it contained information on the death of the Potter’s and the charm that will protect Harry and what it would mean if he couldn’t call 4 Privet Drive home.
Dumbledore's Letter to the Dursleys
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....ore%27s+letter

How did James and Lily defy Voldemort three times? How did the Longbottom’s do it?
Lily and James - Meddlers who thrice defied Voldemort?
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....=thrice+defied
What were Harrys' parents professions?

Was Crookshanks originally the Potters' cat?
I quite like this theory – it would explain why he was suspicious of Sirius at first, but then understood what was going on and why he helped Sirius track down peter/scabbers

Why didn't either of Harry's parents have their wands on them the night Voldemort came after them? Had they been planning what they did?
I don’t think that Harry’s parents had planned what they did – you can tell even from Voldemort’s memory that they were taken offguard by Voldemort’s arrival. I disagree with other posts that it was stupid of James and Lily not to carry their wands around in the house.
For one they had complete trust in their friends and would not think that Peter would ever betray them, and also they probably thought that they would have some warning of Voldemort’s arrival if he did find out the location somehow.

Why didn’t James become secret keeper for Godric’s Hollow like Bill Weasley did for Shell Cottage and Arthur Weasley for the Burrow?
My little theory on this one is that the potter’s themselves were the secret that was kept, not Godric’s hollow and that it why James was unable to be secret keeper.
Why wasn't James secretkeeper?
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....=secret+keeper
The Fidelius Charm – Revisited
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....ves+with+harry

How did Hagrid retrieve Harry from the ruins of his parents' house if he was not told the location by the secret-keeper?
The Fidelius charm
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....=secret+keeper

What was the ancient magic that Lily used to save Harry?
My impression is that it was Love.
If anyone knows of a thread discussing this please let me know

How did Dumbledore know what had happened at Godric's Hollow? He knew within 24 hours that Lily had died for Harry and that consequently Harry would be safe with his mother's family and was able to create the neccessary charm around 4 Privet Drive.
What happened in the one day before Harry was brought to the Dursleys?
Im sure there are threads on this but I cant find them.. can someone post a link?

Why did James and lily marry? What happened to redeem him in her mind?
James and Lily
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....ly+marry+james

Why are we told that James's wand was excellent for Transfiguration and Lily's was good for Charms?

If Voldemort lost his body at Godric's Hollow, then who retrieved his wand?
How did Voldemort get his wand back?
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....emort%27s+body

MAGICAL RELATIONS
Were the Peverell brothers descendents of Salazar Slytherin, or were the Gaunts descended from him by way of a different line?
My interpretation is that the gaunts were descended from the peveralls from a different line than that of Salazar Slytherin
Peverell Family Trees
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....azar+slytherin

Considering that Harry and Voldemort were both descendents of the Peveralls, what relation to each other were they??
Given how long ago the Peverall brothers lived, it would be an EXTREMELY distant relation

WHAT HAPPENED TO…
I'll address these last, there are so many..

THE EPILOGUE
Given the frenchness of the name, you could presume that it is Bill an Fleur’s daughter

What was Percy doing at the Station? Was he still pompous even after all the events of the book – Harry is ‘glad of a reason not to stop and say hello’

Who did Draco Marry?
I don’t think that it is Pansy, although you would think that the trio would have recognised whoever it was given that you cant imagine Draco marrying someone that wasn’t pureblood – unless it was someone foreign and therefore educated abroad and not at Hogwarts. Although of course she could have been a slytherin – or someone from any house other than Gryffindor really, although I doubt that – from a younger year level.

What jobs did the trio end up having?
They all worked at the ministry – Harry as Head of Aurors, Ron as an auror and Hermione in Magical Law Enforcement

Who did Teddy Tonks live with?
The general consensus appears to be that he lived with Andromeda – not Harry because Harry was only 17 – but Harry was an active godfather
Why aren't more families Harry and the others know at King's Cross waiting on the Hogwarts train? Seems like there'd be other former students they knew waiting there with their own kids, like Draco Malfoy...

HOGWARTS
Who was Headmaster or Headmistress after Snape?
I imagine McGonagall would have held the position in the interim until the suitable replacement that JK has told us became the Head was chosen

Did Snape get a portrait?
He didn’t appear to be there at the end of DH as Dumbledore’s was there at the end of HBP… although perhaps he was there but sleeping (as DD’s was doing when first hung) so Harry didn’t notice.. or he could have simply chosen not to be in his portrait when Harry entered – not wishing to hear Harry’s reaction to the memories; recall that he didn’t want DD to ever tell Harry about his feelings for Lily.

Did Voldemort's curse lift off the DADA job?
Yes

Did Harry, Ron & Hermione ever go back to do their 7th year at Hogwarts or sit their NEWTs?

Was it just the Muggleborns who were delayed a year in finishing their Hogwarts education? or did everyone have to repeat that year?

Who exactly died at the Battle of Hogwarts? We're never given a definitive list

SNAPE
Who was Snape's source that provided him with the information of Harry's departure from Privet Drive? If it was Dumbledore's portrait, who did Snape say was the source? And where did the portrait get that information?
From his memory he was definitely consulting with DD’s portrait – which clearly told him to confund mundungas and give him the idea of the 7 potters, but it doesn’t state where the information of the date is coming from.
I don’t think it came from Mundungas – Snape would just say “oh yeah I got the information out of Mundungas Fletcher” when Voldemort asked where the info was coming from.
My theory is that the source was the portrait of Dumbledore – who was getting his information from his other images in the chocolate frog cards - remember he said that he ddnt care what they did as long as they didnt remove him from the chocolate frogs?!

Did Snape really help in the capture and death of Emmeline Vance as he said in HBP?
Im not sure on this one, I have a feeling that he did, encouraged by Dumbledore – another death for the greater good perhaps?

Did Snape have a funeral akin to Dumbledores considering his role in Voldy's downfall?
I think there was probably a mass funeral/memorial for all those that lost their lives in the battle of Hogwarts.

And how did Snape get into the Headmaster's office before he became headmaster?
I think he would have been allowed in because the castle – in particular the Headmaster’s office – would have known about the plan between DD and Snape. From Dumbledore’s request “keep the students safe” I presume that he intended for snape to take over as headmaster. The room sealed itself from Umbridge because the previous head, dumbledore, didnt approve the takeover, whereas with Snape, DD constructed the plan for him to become headmaster

What was Snape's animagus?
I wasn’t aware that he had one

What was Snape's boggart and his greatest fear?

Assumedly Snape was given the choice between Gryffindor and Slytherin (Dumbledore's comment to him- perhaps we sort to early) why did he chose Slytherin esp after Lily was made a Gryffindor.)

I didn’t take it that he had been given the choice, I just felt that he obviously showed greater characteristics of slytherin than any other house in his first year so that’s why he was sorted there, but then by the time he was older, when he showed enormous bravery, he would have been better suited to Gryffindor which would have nursed this trait rather than his slytherin traits.

THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
How did Dumbledore defeat Grindelwald in a duel if Grindelwald had the elder wand?
I think that the myth of the wand being unbeatable was just that, a myth. Sure it was extremely powerful – more powerful than most wands – and extremely adaptable to different owners – but that doesn’t make it unbeatable. It was mastered by many people who clearly defeated the previous masters – im sure not every change in mastery was due to similar circumstances to that of the first owner, the oldest peverall brother, who was killed in his sleep. Dumbledore was simply the better wizard and was able to overcome the power of the wand.
The Elder Wand
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....ght=elder+wand
How did Dumbledore beat Grindelwald?
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....eathly+hallows

why did voldemort not know of the deathly hallows
As has been said by many others, voldemort didn’t believe in the power of chldren’s stories and so wouldn’t have taken note of the story – even if he had heard it which I doubt. Also, true believers of the deathly hallows – and those that know the title – seem very few and far between. Even Ron, who had grown up with the fairy tale had never heard of the “deathly hallows” or had heard any rumour the story might be based on fact.

How did Malfoy become the master of the Elder Wand?
Because he disarmed, and therefore, defeated Dumbledore and claimed ownership of the wand.

What happened to the Resurrection Stone? I know they just left it in the forest, but did anyone ever find it?

How did Grindelwald become master of the Elder Wand when He stole it from gregorovich
There was something that I missed on the first reading, but picked up the second time around which is CRUCIAL to this point: Grindelwald stunned Gregorovich, and therefore defeated him, before he jumped out the window, making him the new master of the Elder Wand

MAGIC, SPELLS AND CURSES
What curse did Molly use to kill Bellatrix?
Isnt AK the ONLY killing curse? Obviously people can be killed in other ways, but AK is the only curse that can directly kill someone

How did Voldemort manage to fly, where did he learn it?

Why was Harry able to see into Voldemort's thoughts again? Did Voldemort stop exercising occlumency?
My take on this is that as Voldemort became more and more obsessed with finding the Elder Wand, the less he was thinking about harry – of course he was thinking about harry, that’s why he wanted the elder wand, so he could defeat harry no worries, but he wasn’t concerned about finding harry until he had found it.

If Bill Weasley was the Secret-Keeper for Shell Cottage, how was Ron able to speak its name and location in the Malfoys' dungeon? And how was Harry able to see it when he and Dobby first arrived?
I don’t think it matters that he said the name and location – because even though he has said it, if the DE’s went there, they still wouldn’t be able to find it because Bill hadn’t told them. As for Harry being able to see it, I don’t have my book on me, but doesn’t it just say that he sees some people in the distance? My thoughts were that Dobby could take Harry to where it was because he had been there, but Harry had to wait until bill came over and told him where it was.

Did we find out what spell Dumbledore used in OotP?
If Ariana gave up magical tendencies after her run in with the muggles, then why werent the dursleys able to quash the magic out of harry when they tried so hard to do so??
Ariana knew that she was magical and so therefore knew what it was that she was inhibiting (although I personally think that her assault/torture inhibited her magic, not that she made a conscious decision to stop using it – merope decided to stop using her magic and didn’t have magical outbursts – that we know of – as ariana did), whereas Harry didn’t even know what it was that was causing the strange happenings around him

what was the spell snape did on the sword of grifindor?
To the author of this question, do you mean what spell was it that duplicated it?

How did the sword of Gryffindor end up back in the hat?
The same way that Harry got it out in COS – it will come to any true Gryffindor. I suspect that it was somewhere else, not in the hat, when Harry pulled it out, just as it was with Griphook before Neville pulled it out.

Old July 30th, 2007, 1:23 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:

THE EPILOGUE
Given the frenchness of the name, you could presume that it is Bill an Fleur’s daughter.
Nice list. Jo has stated that Victoire is Bill and Fleur's eldest daughter. I don't know if that means there is more than one daughter or just the general term "eldest daughter" meaning she is the "first child".

Old July 30th, 2007, 2:39 pm
First Year

Is Fang dead?

Does anyone know if Fang, (Hagrid's dog), died?

Every time I use the "Search" button to find out, I keep getting threads about the basillisk fang and not Fang the dog.

Is the story inconclusive on this?

Old July 30th, 2007, 5:25 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Is Fang dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky_pixie View Post
Does anyone know if Fang, (Hagrid's dog), died?

Every time I use the "Search" button to find out, I keep getting threads about the basillisk fang and not Fang the dog.

Is the story inconclusive on this?
He was alive at the end of HBP so there's no reason to think he'd died during DH.

Old July 30th, 2007, 5:48 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Who did Teddy Tonks live with?
I would asume his grandmother Andromeda as we have seen this happen in Neville's case when his parents were injured beyond repair.

Quote:
What was Snape's animagus?
We are never told that Snapw was an animagus. Jo might not have been able to reveal it because I think it is very possible that the animagus form is the same as the patronus (as in the case of James) so if this is so then she would have not been able to disclose the information of what Snape would be if he was an animagus because the doe would give it away.

Quote:
If Ariana gave up magical tendencies after her run in with the muggles, then why werent the dursleys able to quash the magic out of harry when they tried so hard to do so??
Whatever happened to Ariana she chose to not want to practice magic anymore, therefore she never learned how to control her powers and that is why she reacted the way she did when she was charged emotionally. Harry didn't know that he had magical powers therefore could never make the choice not to learn how to control them. When he did find out he made the choice to go with Hagrid and then attend Hogwarts.

Quote:
How did the sword of Gryffindor end up back in the hat?
The same way it appeared in the CoS. It seems like Godric put a connection on his hat and the sword so that when a Gryffindor was in need it would appear in the hat if they put it on

Quote:
Did Dumbledore kill his sister?
I think we are meant not to know this one. It was a mystery for all the people there. I think the important part to get out of it that Dumbledore blammed himself for her death and had to live with that guilt for his whole life.

Quote:
Who was managed magic late in life?
Jo said in the interview today that she never included that part.

Old July 30th, 2007, 6:58 pm
Mrs Grawp

The JKR Chat gives a few answers from the opening post

Why did Rita Skeeter (apparently) survive?
Well, not only she survived but she continues writing and even writes a Harry Potter biography

What was the fate of Toad Umbridge?
Trial for crimes against muggleborns and Azkaban. Not enough for my personal taste though.

Draco was still around, but what were the fates of his parents?
They 'weasled they way out of arrest.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old July 30th, 2007, 7:40 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Re: Is Fang dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenEye View Post
He was alive at the end of HBP so there's no reason to think he'd died during DH.
Fang also appeared in the battle in DH and he didn't die, at least it wasn't mentioned. So we can assume that he really is alive.

The End of the Dream.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:10 pm
Squee-worthy

I bet any questions that we have will be answered in the Encyclopedia. It's almost as if the Encyclopedia is going to be made just to answer our questions.

I don't have any questions myself that I felt were important to the plot, just I wanted more in the Epilogue.

Old July 30th, 2007, 11:15 pm
First Year

Your list is great ardnaxela. It just seems to me like you've spent more time gathering question than thinking them through. I can answer a lot of them just from the top of my head. And many you can mostly guess a very reasonable answer for after reading the books.

The one thing I really don't get is how people are always asking what "Rember my last" mean as it was explained in OotP that it was the letter DD left with Harry when the Dursleys took him in.

Some are just totally off the chart, things there might have been one sentence in a random book that might have given 1 person the impression of something obscure.

That being said, some of them where answered in the chat today.
Great work!

Old July 31st, 2007, 7:19 am
Second Year

Yeah i just went through all the posts and collected everyones questions because the same things just kept being asked..

Alot of them were common sense to me too and were defnitely answered in the books - but i just hadn't around to answering them all.. I started answering them in my second post but only got about a third of the way through.. will add to it soon (once uni work is out of the way!)

Old July 31st, 2007, 10:17 am
Zonko's Employee

All the questions I wanted to ask have been listed down, but what I'm really interested in is the future relationship between Dudley and Harry. Surely Harry kept in contact with him after the war? Because their parting words were sort of heartwarming and I honestly didn't think that Dudley of all people would be the one to step up and break the ice.

Dance Pretty
Old July 31st, 2007, 4:56 pm
First Year

The biggest question that I had at the end of the book was who ended up as the headmaster/mistress of Hogwarts? I would think that it would have been McGonagal, but who knows. And also what class was Neville teaching? I'm assuming it must be Herbology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotionA View Post
All the questions I wanted to ask have been listed down, but what I'm really interested in is the future relationship between Dudley and Harry. Surely Harry kept in contact with him after the war? Because their parting words were sort of heartwarming and I honestly didn't think that Dudley of all people would be the one to step up and break the ice.

I was surprised when that happened also. I'm glad that she made things right with Harry and his family. I'm sure that Harry kept in contact with all of them.

Old July 31st, 2007, 5:31 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermione1975 View Post
And also what class was Neville teaching? I'm assuming it must be Herbology.
Yes, it's Herbology

DH, Epilogue
"Outside, yeah, but at school he's Professor Longbottom, isn't he? I can't walk into Herbology and give him love. . . ."

19 years later the new Headmaster/mistress is a new random person.

The End of the Dream.
Old July 31st, 2007, 9:03 pm
First Year

ahh, nice. need to read a bit more careful =)
Even better

Old July 31st, 2007, 10:01 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahAdams View Post
In book 6, when Dumbledore takes Harry in to the memories, how does Dumbledore seem to understand what the Gaunts are saying when its all in Parceltongue?

maybe he speaks parsletongue

lol i dont think dumbledore could speak parcel tongue

hey also thanks jenny.

i have another question!
why does dumbledore ask snape to tell harry that he is a horcrux, why not mcgonagal or lupin, who harry trusts already. doesnt poor snape have a tough enough life after dumbledores death anyway?(dumbledore is so cruel to snape, me thinks)
dumbledore does speak parceltongue, gobbledegook and mermish.

snape has to be the one to tell harry because snape is the only one who will be able to see when the time is right:
"when LV stops sending Nagini out to do his bidding and keeps her close"

plus, who among his friends and loved ones will be able to send harry to his death?

jen

Last edited by jen68; July 31st, 2007 at 10:03 pm. Reason: correction

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References