Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Ethnic Characters in the Series

Old July 1st, 2009, 2:35 am
Fourth Year

Ethnic Characters in the Series

Jo has always pushed a very progressive agenda, and lately I got to thinking about all the different characters in the series who are not of European ancestry.

Angelina Johnson, Dean Thomas, and Lee Jordan are of African descent
Parvati and Padma Patil are of Indian descent
Cho Chang is of Asian descent

Am I forgetting any?

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:24 pm
Third Year

Re: Ethnic Characters in the Series

Um... I always thought that Lavender was of African descent because in Prisinor of Azkaban(the movie), she was, but now she's White/Caucasian which is very wierd. You'd think they would keep the ethnicy...

I can't really think of any other characters

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.

Last edited by Queen_Princess; July 2nd, 2009 at 5:26 pm. Reason: Clear up some confusion...
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:31 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Princess View Post
Um... I always thought that Lavender was of African descent because Prisinor of Azkaban, she was, but now she's White/Caucasian which is very wierd. You'd think they would keep the ethnicy...

In the movie?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:06 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActingDude17 View Post
Am I forgetting any?
Kingsley Shacklebolt, Blaise Zabini and I'm not sure about this, but I think Gwenog Jones, as well, are all described as being black.

Last edited by Melaszka; July 1st, 2009 at 11:15 pm.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:38 am
Hogwarts Graduate

What about Professor Grumbly-Plank? She has short gray hair, wears a monocle, and smokes a pipe. I have read that there are some women that live in the Deep South of the U.S.A. that look like her. They live in the Appalacian Mountain area, such as the Carolinas, parts of Florida, or West Virginia. I have not been to Great Britian so I am not sure if she is British or not.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 1:48 am
First Year

^ Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Grubby Plank is British since JKR's mentioned that there are no Americans at Hogwarts.

Snivellus x Luscious = OTP?

"And to Harry's horror, Slughorn threw out an arm and seemed to scoop Snape out of thin air toward them." - The Unbreakable Vow, HBP
Old July 2nd, 2009, 1:52 am
Second Year

Anthony Goldstein was the only character I remember with a Jewish name.

Conservatives want to be your daddy, telling you what to do and what not to do. Liberals want to be your mommy, feeding you, tucking you in, and wiping your nose. Libertarians want to treat you as an adult
Old July 2nd, 2009, 2:02 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
Kingsley Shacklebolt, Blaise Zabini and I'm not sure about this, but I think Gwenog Jones, as well, are all described as being black.
Can't believe I forgot Kingsley. Anyone think of any others?

Old July 2nd, 2009, 2:49 am
First Year

Yep, Gwenog Jones is African-American, at least according to the illustration on JKR's Wizard of The Month section. Can't think of any others, except those that have been mentioned.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 2:55 am
Third Year

I always thought Cho was Asian. Even though JKR only described her as "a very pretty Ravenclaw girl" I always imagined her to be Asian, and I am very very happy with Katie playing her part.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 4:14 am
Sixth Year

Seamus Finnigan is Irish, right? But wouldn't that be of European decent? I'm just thinking of the ones not of English decent.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old July 2nd, 2009, 4:27 am
Sixth Year

It strikes me as weird to hear that JKR says that there are no Americans in the series. Isn't Kendra Dumbledore a Native American?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
Seamus Finnigan is Irish, right? But wouldn't that be of European decent? I'm just thinking of the ones not of English decent.
Isn't Ireland in Great Britain? Or did they seperate from Britain? I've forgotten.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old July 2nd, 2009, 4:41 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
It strikes me as weird to hear that JKR says that there are no Americans in the series. Isn't Kendra Dumbledore a Native American?
Jo never says that Kendra is Native American, just that Harry thinks her features are similar to pictures he had seen of Native Americans. IMHO, that's not enough to go by to call her non-English.

In terms of minor characters, the Quidditch World Cup referee (whose name I'm not sure of but I think it was Hassan Mustafa?) was Egyptian and Ali Bashir who wanted to import flying carpets is characterized as being probably either Arabic, Persian, or North African. Celestina Warbuck's "Wizard of the Month" card on Jo's website depicts her as black.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old July 2nd, 2009, 4:57 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristen03 View Post
I always thought Cho was Asian. Even though JKR only described her as "a very pretty Ravenclaw girl" I always imagined her to be Asian, and I am very very happy with Katie playing her part.
Teehee... so ravenclaws can't be Asian??

I'm only joking with you, I know what you mean I think her (last) name is what clues many in for explaining her family origin.

Does Hagrid count? Do we know if his mother was a European giantess, or was she from somewhere else and liked to travel before being round up and forced to the mountains? Am I grasping straws?

And I never imagined Lavender as black when reading. I know in the third movie she's casted by a black actress, but I could've sworn in one of the earlier books there was a description of her being blonde.. but I honestly don't remember ^^;

You've got to make the effort, and love every moment of it
Old July 2nd, 2009, 5:31 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post

Isn't Ireland in Great Britain? Or did they seperate from Britain? I've forgotten.
Northern Ireland is part of The UK but The Republic of Ireland is an independant state.

Kendra can be a female form of the name Kendrick - From a surname which has several different origins. It could be from the Old English given names Cyneric "royal power" or Ceneric "bold power", or from the Welsh name Cynwrig "high hill".

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 5:43 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

I may be wrong but I always thought that 'no Americans' meant no exchange students. I don't think American descent was ruled out or occasional American travelers. There were Americans present at the Quidditch word cup.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 7:57 am
She Who Walks Behind

That is correct. She said that Americans don't attend Hogwarts, because they have their own Wizard school in the States (in Salem I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_G135 View Post
And I never imagined Lavender as black when reading. I know in the third movie she's casted by a black actress, but I could've sworn in one of the earlier books there was a description of her being blonde.. but I honestly don't remember ^^;
I think that because of her last name (Brown) people imagine her with a dark skin, like I always do. A black (brown skinned) girl with a lavender coloured dress.

The End of the Dream.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 9:30 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karleecakes View Post
Yep, Gwenog Jones is African-American, at least according to the illustration on JKR's Wizard of The Month section.
She's most likely British though, so she can't be African-American.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 9:41 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Princess View Post
Um... I always thought that Lavender was of African descent because Prisinor of Azkaban, she was, but now she's White/Caucasian which is very wierd. You'd think they would keep the ethnicy...

Actually, Lavender Brown was never described in the books. Harry never noted her hair color, skin color, or anything else that would help the reader know what she actually looked like.

However, there is one scene from HBP where Harry notes that Ron and Lavender are wrapped around each other so tightly that he couldn't tell whose hands were whose. The fact that he couldn't tell her hands from Ron's implied that Lavender was white.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 9:43 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Do the Veela count as ethnic characters? They come from Slavic mythology, which is European, but they're alnos not entirely human... The wizarding world seems to have a more complex demographics than ours...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References