Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

HBP Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Old July 22nd, 2009, 3:37 am
Banned

HBP Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

So I picked up the score this past Saturday and I have listened to it nonstop. I think it is quite excellent and superior than OotP's score.

The first track, titled "Opening", is great and the booming theme used for the Death Eaters' attack on London is used again later in the score ("Into the Rushes").

There are two instances in the film, and two tracks on the soundtrack, that use a "four-note motif" from John Williams's music for the Quidditch match in PoA (this is mentioned in the score's liner notes). It sounds slightly different but the same four notes are used and Hooper has expanded on it. I really like that he has done this. "Hedwig's Theme" has some appearances as well. yoshi2542, those portions were not plagiarized. Williams is given credit.

My favorite track is "Malfoy's Mission". It is really haunting and the inclusion of a piano makes it even even better than it already is. It is a dark track, quite gloomy as well and it fits those scenes in the film perfectly. This song is an example of why I prefer Hooper over Williams.

Dumbledore also has a theme and it is titled "In Noctem". You can hear portions of the track throughout the film. "Dumbledore's Farewell", also an excellent song though quite said, has a cello solo which is based on the opening portion of "In Noctem".

There is also a song that's not in the film that should have been. It is called "Wizard Wheezes" and it should have been played during the appropriate scene in the film. It's a wacky song.

If you buy the score, you have access to exclusive content. You can download the score in 5.1 surround sound for free, you can view a behind-the-scenes score session, you have access to ringtones (those are not free), and you can download the rock song played during the scene after the Quidditch game.

Have any of you bought it? Do you think it is good? Which songs do you like the most? Which do you dislike?

PS. You can listen to the score in full here on YouTube.

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2009, 4:44 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Re: HBP Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

I picked it up an hour before I went out to stand in line for HBP. I have to say I loved it. My favorite is Journey to the Cave, is simply beautiful and I consider it 'epic' like someone described it on another thread. I didn't really like that Hooper had taken from previous soundtracks, except for Hedwig's theme. That's just a must in every Potter soundtrack. After awhile though it's grown on me, and I don't really mind it much. I also love Ginny and Farewell Aragog. Inferi in the Firestorm is really nice as well; I enjoyed the soundtrack as a whole.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 22nd, 2009, 4:53 am
Second Year

Haha I've got YouTube open in another window right now; I've been listening to Journey to the Cave and a couple others for like an hour!
I really enjoyed the soundtrack of this one. A lot of people are saying it's worse than all the other HP movies, but I'm becoming a Nicholas Hooper fan...I plan to buy it when it gets to stores in my area

Old July 22nd, 2009, 5:18 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletkate607 View Post
A lot of people are saying it's worse than all the other HP movies, but I'm becoming a Nicholas Hooper fan...I plan to buy it when it gets to stores in my area
I would hazard a guess that they like cheerful scores, which is what the first four soundtracks mostly consist of. I would also say that they like catchy tunes, which do not really exist on the OotP and HBP scores. That's another reason why I like them more than the others.

Last edited by NumberEight; July 22nd, 2009 at 5:09 pm.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 9:41 am
Third Year

My absolutely favorite tracks in HBP are Ron's Victory and Wizard Wheezes. They just get to me

Old July 22nd, 2009, 4:21 pm
Second Year

I like a lot of it, I didnt listen to it before watching the film but Im listening to it now. The ones I really noticed in the film were Malfoys Mission, Aragogs Funeral, Slughorns Confession and Journey to the Cave. I do like Malfoys Mission a lot. Its quite haunting and you can hear the despair alright.

I like the score overall, might just buy it. (have never bought one before. Had to play Philosophers Stone in my orchestra and we abandoned it we disliked it so much! It put me off HP scores)

i like Wizard Wheezes alright, would have been good at the joke shop rather than the piece from OotP.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 5:28 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
I would hazard a guess that they like cheerful scores, which is what the first four soundtracks mostly consist of. I would also say that they like catchy tunes, which do not really exist on the OotP and HBP scores. That's another reason why I like them more than the others.
I'm not sure what you mean by this...both scores for Goblet of Fire and Prisoner of Azkaban were by no means 'cheerful'. I would assume that the first four scores are more popular because they are better scores by more talented composers. Meh, its all a matter of opinion anyway.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 5:40 pm
Second Year

I've actually been thinking about getting it. I know the music in the film was really good...and I agree, it is better than the last film. I've been listening to the little clips of the songs on the Harry Potter website and I think I might get the soundtrack sometime soon!

Old July 22nd, 2009, 5:55 pm
Banned

Quote:
I've been listening to Journey to the Cave and a couple others for like an hour!
"Journey to the Cave" is very good as well.

Quote:
I really enjoyed the soundtrack of this one. A lot of people are saying it's worse than all the other HP movies, but I'm becoming a Nicholas Hooper fan...I plan to buy it when it gets to stores in my area
This is the first CD I've bought in eight months though I must say that I did not get a good deal on it at Best Buy. If you live in the US, do not get it at Best Buy. $14.99 is too much for a CD. Target has it for $9.99 if you can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumples View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this...both scores for Goblet of Fire and Prisoner of Azkaban were by no means 'cheerful'. I would assume that the first four scores are more popular because they are better scores by more talented composers. Meh, its all a matter of opinion anyway.
I meant the first two scores. My mistake. I honestly don't think Williams is a great composer. Some of his music sounds the same. I said this in the HBP Review thread, but all you have to do is compare the Quidditch music from the first two films with music he created for Star Wars and compare "Christmas at Hogwarts" from the first film to the music he created for the Home Alone films. It's almost identical. I am also of the opinion that he is not too good at creating haunting music, but all of this is to be discussed in the HP Soundtracks thread, whenever that section of the board is opened again.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Yeah I loved it as well, definately can't be the worse than all the other HP movies in my opinion, I'm curious if John Williams could do a better job, I mean I love John Williams work, but THIS soundtrack is epic...Hooper did fantastic.

Alot of ppl seem to think only John Williams can be good for Harry Potter but thats not the case with me. I'm pretty much happy with all the soundtracks, except maybe Ootp, but It had some good pieces tho.

Quote:
Yeah, tho those soundtracks did have their dark bits of course, If John Williams comes back for Deathly Hallows, since I guess Hooper isn't returning from recent news, I doubt we'll be getting those cheerful scores and cute melodies in Deathly Hallows.

I sure hope Williams comes back, since it seems we wont have Hooper, If not I want Doyle, I would be kinda worried if they had a whole new composer for the series.

Last edited by BubbleSnake; July 22nd, 2009 at 6:37 pm.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
If you live in the US, do not get it at Best Buy. $14.99 is too much for a CD. Target has it for $9.99 if you can find it.
Thanks for the heads up!
I'm a little nervous about John Williams coming back for DH...I feel like he scored the first 2 movies as little kid movies (which they were back then, gotta give him that...). They sound cheesy to me for some reason. And I personally think most of his music sounds the same. We'll see!

Last edited by tripletkate607; July 22nd, 2009 at 6:58 pm.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:47 pm
First Year

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up!
I'm a little nervous about John Williams coming back for DH...I feel like he scored the first movies as little kid movies (which they were back then, gotta give him that...). They sound cheesy to me for some reason. And I personally think most of his music sounds the same. We'll see!
Have you listened to the Prisoner of Azkaban score? It's miles better than the first two scores and wasn't cheesy at all.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:52 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumples View Post
Have you listened to the Prisoner of Azkaban score? It's miles better than the first two scores and wasn't cheesy at all.
Nope, only the first 2 movies. I'll look into that though...the only one I've heard all the way through is Buckbeak's Flight.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 7:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleSnake View Post
Haha yeah, If John Williams comes back for Deathly Hallows, since I guess Hooper isn't returning from recent news, I doubt we'll be getting those cheerful scores and cute melodies in Deathly Hallows.
I meant the first two scores. That was a huge typo I made.

Here is some information on the tracks from Hooper himself.

"The aim of this CD is to give you a feeling of the film through the medium of the music, together with a sense of how the score was created. The tracks mostly run in film order telling the story in music. But there is one notable exception: track 2 ‘In Noctem’ appears over the end title roller but it provided the musical DNA for Dumbledore's story throughout the movie. The piece was written early during the production period so that the Hogwarts choir could be filmed singing it, but due to the inevitable changes that take place during the making of such a large-scale film the sequence was omitted. The music, however, remained a significant influence throughout the entire film. If you listen to the middle chanting section you will find that it appears in nearly all the significant Dumbledore sequences and it is developed into some of the most dramatic cues such as ‘Journey to the Cave’. Also from this source is the cello solo in ‘Dumbledore’s Farewell’ which is based on the opening bars of ‘In Noctem’”

“Another essential theme that pervades this score is the ‘Possession’ theme from the previous film in the series, ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’. This is used to connect Voldemort or Tom Riddle with Harry and Dumbledore, and appears a number of times in the second half of the film culminating in ‘The Drink of Despair’, ‘Inferi in the Firestorm’ and ‘The Killing of Dumbledore’.”

“There are other themes which will be familiar to the listener: John Williams’ ‘Hedwig’s Theme’ makes some appearances, and a four-note motif from the ‘Quidditch Match’, also by John Williams, can be heard in ‘Ron’s Victory’ and ‘Of Love & War’. The rest of the tracks reflect the individual sequences for which they were composed. Malfoy has a theme which reflects the mystery, evil, and sadness of his secret mission; there are love themes such as ‘Ginny’, ‘Harry and Hermione’ and ‘When Ginny Kissed Harry’; Death Eaters attacks are described using lots of percussion in ‘Opening’ and ‘In the Rushes’; and there are some lighter moments too such as ‘Living Death’, ‘School!’, and ‘The Slug Party’.”

Old July 23rd, 2009, 1:54 am
Third Year

I really enjoyed HBP's score. Everything from Journey to the Cave on is excellent, in my opinion. It gives me chills listening to the part during Journey to the Cave as we glide over the water, waves splashing on the rock jutting out of the sea. Likewise as the fire starts in Inferi in the Firestorm.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:13 am
Sixth Year

You know, there's no denying Williams' excellence, he's one of my favorite composers of all time and by default of both experience and career range, superior to Hooper. But the score for HBP is honestly my favorite of the series. It's more experimental and less typical-Potter'ish, while also capturing the essence and atmosphere of the story. It makes for a fantastic standalone listen, and works well in the film.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 4:44 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBlack101 View Post
It gives me chills listening to the part during Journey to the Cave as we glide over the water, waves splashing on the rock jutting out of the sea.
Exactly! I love that part and the music just fits perfectly. Best scene in the whole movie.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 23rd, 2009, 4:56 am
Sixth Year

I think I prefer the the score for OotP more, but it still was pretty great. It really reflected the dark tone of the movie. I also liked how they reused "Fireworks" and "Dumbledore's Army" from OotP, in the WWW scene and the Quidditch tryouts scene respectively. I also love how Hooper use bits of "Quidditch, Third Year" from PoA in "Ron's Victory".

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old July 23rd, 2009, 6:11 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack5555 View Post
I think I prefer the the score for OotP more, but it still was pretty great. It really reflected the dark tone of the movie. I also liked how they reused "Fireworks" and "Dumbledore's Army" from OotP, in the WWW scene and the Quidditch tryouts scene respectively. I also love how Hooper use bits of "Quidditch, Third Year" from PoA in "Ron's Victory".
My favorite score from OotP is Professor Umbridge. I thought the music they played as she walked down the halls of the school was hilarious!

Old July 23rd, 2009, 6:52 pm
Fourth Year

To be brutally honest I think it was a completely average soundtrack, from an average composer IMO, and not at all good enough for this film!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References