Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.17

Old September 27th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanksha View Post
I seem to remember at the Yule Ball in GoF when Padma Patil got mad at Ron and left to find her sister Parvati, who at that time was dancing with a boy from Beauxbatons, Harry notices that the Beauxatons boy 'conjures up one of his friends to join them so fast that he could have sworn he had zoomed him there with a Summoning Charm.'

In all probability, the Beauxbatons boy actually did use a Summoning Charm. Hence, I would say yes, you can summon humans.
Or perhaps that was simply figurative language.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
The Marauders: The Beginning of the End
Feedback

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."
--Aristotle
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2009, 5:20 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanksha View Post
I seem to remember at the Yule Ball in GoF when Padma Patil got mad at Ron and left to find her sister Parvati, who at that time was dancing with a boy from Beauxbatons, Harry notices that the Beauxatons boy 'conjures up one of his friends to join them so fast that he could have sworn he had zoomed him there with a Summoning Charm.'

In all probability, the Beauxbatons boy actually did use a Summoning Charm. Hence, I would say yes, you can summon humans.
Are you sure that's not just an expression, as CrimsonZephyr suggested? If people could Summon other people, then Voldemort should have just tried to "Accio, Harry Potter" from the start. It would also make it rather difficult for crimminals to escape if they could just be "accio'd" back to Azkaban. I think that when Harry tried to "accio" Hagrid, it was a desparate and illogical attempt to find him and make sure that he was still alive. Just my opinion though.

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old September 27th, 2009, 5:48 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchsmart View Post
Are you sure that's not just an expression, as CrimsonZephyr suggested? If people could Summon other people, then Voldemort should have just tried to "Accio, Harry Potter" from the start. It would also make it rather difficult for crimminals to escape if they could just be "accio'd" back to Azkaban. I think that when Harry tried to "accio" Hagrid, it was a desparate and illogical attempt to find him and make sure that he was still alive. Just my opinion though.
I don't think wizards and witches can be Accio'd...

Old September 27th, 2009, 6:27 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
I agree with you. But I think (and correct me if I'm mistaken) that when summoning something you need to know where it is. Voldemort doesn't usually know where Harry is, not to mention that he was usually under protection. Also the prisoners couldn't be summoned back because no one knows exactly where they are. But I agree with you. It seemed that Harry's attempt was just a desperate attempt to save his friend.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 27th, 2009, 6:31 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I agree with you. But I think (and correct me if I'm mistaken) that when summoning something you need to know where it is. Voldemort doesn't usually know where Harry is, not to mention that he was usually under protection. Also the prisoners couldn't be summoned back because no one knows exactly where they are. But I agree with you. It seemed that Harry's attempt was just a desperate attempt to save his friend.

Quote:

Old September 27th, 2009, 7:48 pm
Third Year

What is the general thought as to what Tom Riddle actually did to Amy and Dennis when he took them into the cave while on holiday from the orphanage? Torture and then memory erase? Something else? What could an untrained, non-wand bearing wizard have done that would both terrify kids and keep them from telling authorities?

Old September 27th, 2009, 8:35 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWeasley View Post
What is the general thought as to what Tom Riddle actually did to Amy and Dennis when he took them into the cave while on holiday from the orphanage? Torture and then memory erase? Something else? What could an untrained, non-wand bearing wizard have done that would both terrify kids and keep them from telling authorities?
I think it doesn't necessarily depend on how much trained the young wizard/witch is. When Petunia cut Harry's hair in a ridiculous way he was able to grow it back without a wand. Something, I believe he couldn't do after several years of magical education. And according to what Tom told Dumbledore at the orphanage, he could torture or 'do bad things' to those who bothered him. I'm not sure what exactly he'd done to those kids, though. It's been said that the cave was a scary place. So probably he took them there to scare them? To Voldemort this would be highly enjoyable and amusing.

Old September 27th, 2009, 9:49 pm
Third Year

Oh, good point about what Harry did before he knew he was a wizard, Bellatrix93. I never thought about that. Since Riddle's impulses were so evil, even as a child, it makes sense he'd do unintentional dark magic. Thanks.

Old September 28th, 2009, 1:18 am
Third Year

What do you think Hermione did as a child?

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Click here to see more pictures.
Old September 28th, 2009, 2:35 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7 View Post
Good question! I think she probably went to a private school, got good grades and lived a normal childhood, along with the little magical things she could do!

Old September 28th, 2009, 11:29 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonZephyr View Post
Or perhaps that was simply figurative language.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks_Animagus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post

Chided!
I think it's possible though, I just have a feeling

Old September 28th, 2009, 12:07 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7 View Post
Here's a thread discussing your question.
What are their first signs of magic?

Old September 28th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Sixth Year

When Harry and Dumbledore went horcrux hunting in the cave, Dumbledore asks Harry to try to summon the horcrux when Harry suggested it. Do you think there was any particular reason for Dumbledore to make Harry do it or am I just reading too much into it ?

Old September 28th, 2009, 7:37 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
When Harry and Dumbledore went horcrux hunting in the cave, Dumbledore asks Harry to try to summon the horcrux when Harry suggested it. Do you think there was any particular reason for Dumbledore to make Harry do it or am I just reading too much into it ?
I think Dumbledore just wanted Harry to get some hands on experience. He wanted him to realize how dangerous and effective Voldemort's protection charms are so he could know what's waiting for him, what he'd be facing.

Old September 28th, 2009, 9:01 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWeasley View Post
Perhaps he showed them the inferi?
In the HBP film they could've done this story more nasty. My idea: When they were at the seaside the children could've disappeared. Only the half of them were found, including Tom Riddle. So Mrs. Cole blamed Tom for this but she had no evidence. If only Tom had returned it would be suspicious. So Tom only showed the cave to some of them. What happened to them then? Tom had learnt some very dark magic and he made them into inferi. That way the scene in the cave would be even more terrifying. But he was too little to do such things when he was eleven. He could've done it after he got information about the horcruxes. What a mean idea I got...

Last edited by Noldus; September 28th, 2009 at 9:04 pm.
Old September 29th, 2009, 2:40 am
Seventh Year

But Voldemort didn't know what Inferi were when he was that age. He didn't even know he was a wizard then. Mrs Cole tells Dumbledore about that before Dumbledore tells Voldemort what he is. Good theory, but I don't think he did anything with Inferi.

Maybe he inflicted pain upon them. Remember what he said? "I can make them hurt if I want too".

Old September 29th, 2009, 2:46 am
Third Year

Maybe he used magic do some freaky trick with the water.

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Click here to see more pictures.
Old September 29th, 2009, 2:48 am
Seventh Year

Perhaps. Or maybe we aren't supposed to know what he did?

Old September 29th, 2009, 5:01 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_xx View Post
Or maybe we aren't supposed to know what he did?
You are probably right there. Anyway we were never told.

Which means further speculation doesn't belong in this thread.

Old September 29th, 2009, 1:41 pm
Fourth Year

I just started re-reading the series again, and noticed something. In the movie version of PS, Quirrel refuses to shake hands with Harry in the Leaky Cauldron and then we see Harry burn his face in the end.

In the book version, Harry does shake hands with Quirrel to no ill effect yet the ending still plays out the same. How is this explained?

(EDIT: I'm looking for why Harry can touch him in the beginning of the book but not at the end, not why the movie and book are different.)

-JR

Just & Loyal

Last edited by JR637; September 29th, 2009 at 1:44 pm.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References