Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Unanswered Questions

Old July 15th, 2009, 8:51 pm
Second Year

Re: Unanswered Questions

Ok, sorry about that. I knew there was a Questions thread somewhere, but I couldn't find it again. Thanks!

Old July 16th, 2009, 8:11 pm
Second Year

What was Voldemort doing between the time he asked for a job and his rise to power in the 70's?

I think their is a decade gap in there...

Harry: What is it Sir?

Dumbledore: You must let Ginny tie your shoelaces.
Old July 16th, 2009, 8:20 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJackSparrow View Post
What was Voldemort doing between the time he asked for a job and his rise to power in the 70's?

I think their is a decade gap in there...
A few Horcruxes at the least. It is a good question though, for i find some things odd about this. Dumbledore says there have been rumours about Tom's doings that have 'reached his old school', and that he'd be sorry to believe half of them. So he probably wasn't hiding, not in later years at the least. Regulus had press cuttings about him, which also means that he was a visible character doing something...
I would be interesting to know more in detail what he was doing really...

*In: Snape's Happy Ending, fanfic by CathyWeasley

SNAPE'S MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH
Old July 18th, 2009, 2:53 am
Second Year

Why does harry never attempt to connect with any of his father's family? Never even research it?

Old July 18th, 2009, 5:10 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigga View Post
Why does harry never attempt to connect with any of his father's family? Never even research it?
Because they are all dead. If there was any living relative there would be no need to put Harry in the Dursley's custody. James' was an only child and his parents died of a desease when he was younger.

The End of the Dream.
Old July 18th, 2009, 8:39 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Because they are all dead. If there was any living relative there would be no need to put Harry in the Dursley's custody. James' was an only child and his parents died of a desease when he was younger.
I didn't know this--how young was James when his parents died? He must have been out of Hogwarts, because Sirius lived with the Potters after he ran away. Did JKR say this in an interview? Because I haven't read all of her interviews, so many facts such as this are unknown to me.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

-Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:09 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4evr1807 View Post
I didn't know this--how young was James when his parents died? He must have been out of Hogwarts, because Sirius lived with the Potters after he ran away. Did JKR say this in an interview? Because I haven't read all of her interviews, so many facts such as this are unknown to me.
Yes she did mention them in an interview

TLC Interview, 16 July 2005
Melissa Anelli: What about Harry's family his grandparents were they killed?

JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.

The End of the Dream.
Old July 19th, 2009, 4:16 am
First Year

that is a pretty good list

Old July 19th, 2009, 8:27 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Yes she did mention them in an interview

TLC Interview, 16 July 2005
Melissa Anelli: What about Harry's family his grandparents were they killed?

JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.
Thanks!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

-Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
Old July 22nd, 2009, 9:53 pm
First Year

Why did Harry not retrieve the ring? I'm aware that he and Dumbledore made an agreement that he would not, and Rowling herself hopes that a centaur hoofed it into the ground, but if Dumbledore himself said that Harry could resist the temptation of the Hallows (as evidenced by the fact that he put the Elder Wand back into DD's tomb), why couldn't he keep the ring? It seems like he did okay in life, and fathered three wonderful children, but couldn't he have used the ring for advice from his parents, as well as letting him talk to Sirius again, George talk to Fred, Teddy Lupin meet his parents, etc.?

Please correct me if I'm misinformed of the rings abilities, but it seems to me that it would be a very useful tool, and in the hands of a brilliant and resisting wizard like Harry, not dangerous.

(I'm sure that there are similar discussions elsewhere in the forums, perhaps in Harry's analysis, but a search yielded overwhelming results.)

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:06 pm
Third Year

he didn't need it.

The world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are. -Sirius Black.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:38 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendio
It seems like he did okay in life, and fathered three wonderful children, but couldn't he have used the ring for advice from his parents, as well as letting him talk to Sirius again, George talk to Fred, Teddy Lupin meet his parents, etc.?
That is not where the Resurrection Stone's true power lay. Harry used them for one of the few noble purposes, "to enable [his] self-sacrifice." Dumbledore also says the Stone "drag[s] back those who are at peace." Therefore, Harry recalling his parents and loved ones would have disrupted their afterlives, and it would not have allowed Harry to truly move on and live without their presence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendio
Please correct me if I'm misinformed of the rings abilities, but it seems to me that it would be a very useful tool, and in the hands of a brilliant and resisting wizard like Harry, not dangerous.
I do not think it would be a useful tool at all, since Harry had used it for one of the few "useful" reasons, I think, in using it to "enable his self-sacrifice." Otherwise, it would only force Harry to live in the past and, like the Mirror of Erised (and the second Peverell brother), potentially drive him mad.

Also, by keeping the Stone, Harry would have been threatened by Questers for the Deathly Hallows, never being able to live a "normal" life. I agree that Harry could possibly resist the temptation of the Stone, but Questers may not be able to. Also, if Harry could resist the Stone's temptation, there would be no reason for him to use it, in my opinion.

Of course, this discussion, since it is fairly wide and open-ended, could probably be redirected to The Resurrection Stone.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:52 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendio View Post
Why did Harry not retrieve the ring? I'm aware that he and Dumbledore made an agreement that he would not, and Rowling herself hopes that a centaur hoofed it into the ground, but if Dumbledore himself said that Harry could resist the temptation of the Hallows (as evidenced by the fact that he put the Elder Wand back into DD's tomb), why couldn't he keep the ring? It seems like he did okay in life, and fathered three wonderful children, but couldn't he have used the ring for advice from his parents, as well as letting him talk to Sirius again, George talk to Fred, Teddy Lupin meet his parents, etc.?

(I'm sure that there are similar discussions elsewhere in the forums, perhaps in Harry's analysis, but a search yielded overwhelming results.)
Maybe so that it doesn't tempt dangerous, Hallow-crazy wizards (like Grindelwald) in the future? If Harry kept the ring, not that he'd use it much (because it would bring so much grief to him, no doubt) word would get round that someone has a Hallow, an item to bring back the dead, which could attract unfriendly company!

The moral of the Tale of the Three Brothers was that only the Cloak was a befitting Hallow, i think, because it could protect others. The Ring would give you temporary happiness maybe, but in the long run, it would become an unhealthy habit.

I'm also not sure how much Harry would like to use the ring. He did use it once yes, but that was in exceptional circumstances. I just can't see him frequently bringing back his parents, or Sirius - it would be like The Mirror Of Erised all over again! Like Dumbledore said: "it does not do well to live in the past" <-- or something like that!

I think the dead are best left alone, and in any case, there's always portraits of people to talk to!

Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:20 am
Seventh Year

Why is it that potraits can speak, but the photographs can't?

Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:22 am
Third Year

i don't know, Why are portraits Painted while Photos are inked (?)

The world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are. -Sirius Black.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:30 am
Seventh Year

Here is another one.

Throughout the whole series, Ron hates it when Harry says Voldemort, and always shuddered and winced etc, and was always, constantly telling Harry to say 'You Know Who'. Why would he casually throw out the name more than once in DH, then suddenly go back to telling Harry and Hermione to shut up and not say his name?

Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:32 am
Third Year

because he felt like it was a jinx, and her was right.

Ron isn't as Dumb as y'all think... he just doesn't know it.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:33 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollieWeasley View Post
because he felt like it was a jinx, and her was right.

Ron isn't as Dumb as y'all think... he just doesn't know it.
Yeah I know he says it feels like a jinx, but why, after 6 years of telling Harry off for saying the name, would he suddenly start saying it? Especially if it feels like a jinx?

Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:35 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_xx View Post
Yeah I know he says it feels like a jinx, but why, after 6 years of telling Harry off for saying the name, would he suddenly start saying it? Especially if it feels like a jinx?
He starts saying it, then stops as he feels the jinx.

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:36 am
Third Year

Well, you would get fed up of being surrounded by 2 people who do Frequently us ethe name, i guess you are bound to slip up.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References