Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Things That Took Several Readings To Catch v. 8.0

Old July 27th, 2007, 3:17 am
Fifth Year

Things That Took Several Readings To Catch v. 8.0

Mods, I searched and nothing came up; apologies if this already exists!

I’m slowly re-reading DH, and taking notes on the little things that I didn’t catch at first.

One, that I love, is at Harry’s birthday dinner. Ron compliments Hermione, and Harry “had a funny notion that he would find a chapter on compliments when he found time to peruse his copy of Twelve Fail-Safe Ways to Charm Witches” (pg. 101 UK). Then, Harry compliments Mrs. Weasley on the Snitch cake, and Ron gives Harry thumbs up and mouths “good one”. I didn’t notice at first, but Ron was under the impression that Harry had been reading that chapter on compliments!

Another one is when the trio is discussing Horcruxes, and Ron asks how they can posses someone. Hermione says, “You’re in trouble if you get too fond of or dependant on the Horcrux.” (pg. 91 UK) That’s exactly what happened to Dumbledore – he was so fascinated at having one of the Hallows he’d once dreamed of finding, that he allowed himself to become too close.

Are there any other things that you didn’t catch at first?

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2007, 3:39 am
First Year

Re: Things You Didn't Catch at First

There were quite a few things that I didn't catch. Mostly funny dialouge.
Like when the trio is in the muggle coffee shop and Ron is complaining that the jeans he's wearing are his old one's and too tight and, "that's why I'm having trouble sticking my wand in them" or something to that effect. Then Harry hears Hermione mumble something about where he can stick his wand!
Hilarious!!

Old July 27th, 2007, 3:45 am
First Year

I haven't re-read DH yet but one thing I hadn't noticed until someone mentioned, that Harrry tells Neville on a whim to tell Ron and Hermione about killing Nagini and then Neville ends up doing it.

Old July 27th, 2007, 3:53 am
Second Year

That doesn't happen, he tells Neville to kill the snake. Ron and Hermione already knew.

I didn't notice first time that Narcissa asked Harry if Draco was alive after he comes back from his dream thing w/ Dumbledore.

Old July 27th, 2007, 3:57 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapere_aude View Post
That doesn't happen, he tells Neville to kill the snake. Ron and Hermione already knew.

I didn't notice first time that Narcissa asked Harry if Draco was alive after he comes back from his dream thing w/ Dumbledore.
How did you miss that?

Old July 27th, 2007, 3:57 am
First Year

I didn't notice that Harry makes a point to say that it seemed Voldy was unconscious too after the Killing Curse/Kings Cross. I didn't picture Ron and Hermione in the office with Harry at the end - somehow missed they went in too and didn't occur to me even though they talk there.

I only re-read from Prince's Tale on since I know I rushed that part.

...naill_renfro's LiveJournal Parody of DH.
Old July 27th, 2007, 4:05 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkickin View Post
How did you miss that?
I'm not sure considering how pivotal it was. Admittedly when I read it I was thinking: You've got to be kidding! They don't even check to see he's breathing!

Old July 27th, 2007, 6:34 am
Animaga terpsichore

On the part where Harry jumped into the pool to retrieve the sword, you know how it said that the chain of the locket was trying to strangle him? Well for some reason I didn't catch that part until I started reading the book a second time.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old July 27th, 2007, 6:40 am
Third Year

I totally did not realize Snape was saving Lupin and that's why he cut George's ear off with Sectumsempra by mistake. I think I totally read over that part at the end. It was like 10:00 AM so I'm pretty sure I was just too tired to realize.

Old July 28th, 2007, 1:39 am
Fifth Year

Something I didn't notice until my third read and after someone here pointed it out was that Umbridge says she's descended from the Selwyns, and there's a Selwyn Death Eater that appears twice.

Old July 28th, 2007, 5:55 am
Rex's Mummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigster View Post
I didn't notice that Harry makes a point to say that it seemed Voldy was unconscious too after the Killing Curse/Kings Cross. I didn't picture Ron and Hermione in the office with Harry at the end - somehow missed they went in too and didn't occur to me even though they talk there.
And now I just noticed after reading your post that Killing Curse and King's Cross are both KC. No that that's at all significant, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
Something I didn't notice until my third read and after someone here pointed it out was that Umbridge says she's descended from the Selwyns, and there's a Selwyn Death Eater that appears twice.
I knew that name sounded familiar, but I couldn't remember from where when I read it. I wonder if she even knew or cared that she was claiming to be related to a DE. Something tells me not at all.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old July 28th, 2007, 7:09 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post

Wow, you're on your third read already? I'm only on my second....but ya, I did catch that in the book that Umbridge said she descends from the Selwyn family when "Mafalda" complimented her locket. I had to backtrack to where I saw the Selwyn name mentioned. Then again, can you blame Umbridge's character for claiming to come from a pureblood family like the Selwyn??? Glory hog.

And I really doubt if Umbridge cares that she is claiming to be related to a death eater. After all, they all are related to Death Eater's if they claim to be "sleep with my cousin Pure Bloods"

Last edited by Saiorri; July 28th, 2007 at 7:13 am.
Old July 28th, 2007, 2:09 pm
First Year

I didn't notice the first time, JK's calling of Voldemort "Voldy" hehe

Peeves:

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the One,
And Voldy's gone mouldy, so now lets have some fun!

Quote:
And I really doubt if Umbridge cares that she is claiming to be related to a death eater. After all, they all are related to Death Eater's if they claim to be "sleep with my cousin Pure Bloods"
Especially as she was willing to use the Cruciatus curse on unarmed students, I reckon she cares even less...

Quote:
Especially as she was willing to use the Cruciatus curse on unarmed students, I reckon she cares even less...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiorri View Post
Wow, you're on your third read already? I'm only on my second....but ya, I did catch that in the book that Umbridge said she descends from the Selwyn family when "Mafalda" complimented her locket. I had to backtrack to where I saw the Selwyn name mentioned. Then again, can you blame Umbridge's character for claiming to come from a pureblood family like the Selwyn??? Glory hog.

Quote:

Last edited by Remus_Green; July 28th, 2007 at 2:15 pm.
Old July 28th, 2007, 2:51 pm
First Year

I only thought on my second reading that the awful smell at Bathilda Bagshots was probably referring her decaying body?? And possibly the "pile of filthy clothes" that Harry fell on to when the snake appeared was actually bathilda's body? Or am i just being a bit gruesome and reading too much into it?

Old July 28th, 2007, 2:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymoo View Post
I only thought on my second reading that the awful smell at Bathilda Bagshots was probably referring her decaying body?? And possibly the "pile of filthy clothes" that Harry fell on to when the snake appeared was actually bathilda's body? Or am i just being a bit gruesome and reading too much into it?
No I reckon you are spot on there. It's a grim chapter.

Bathilda came across as a bit of a b*t*h to me anyway...

Old July 28th, 2007, 8:40 pm
Second Year

how did she come across as a b*tch? she never even spoke in the book.

Old July 28th, 2007, 11:35 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_seatbelt View Post
how did she come across as a b*tch? she never even spoke in the book.
Agree with you here. It wasn't as if she meant to tell all about Dumbledore's past. Skeeter said she used Veritaserum on her. And then stole her pictures as well.

Old July 30th, 2007, 3:00 pm
First Year

I didn't notice until my second reading that Draco was at Hogwarts. Narcissa mentions that he's home for the Easter holidays when the trio are captured and taken to Malfoy manor. I thought he was confined to his house with his parents the whole time.

Old July 30th, 2007, 3:38 pm
Third Year

Why wouldn't Draco be at Hogwarts, his parents would have been happier than usual for him to be there seeing as purebloods are the ones valued and the dark arts were being taught.

Old July 30th, 2007, 3:47 pm
Second Year

When Scrimgeour gives Harry his inherited Snitch, I didn't realize that's why he was looking at the Snitch cake with suspicions.

And then Hermione (I think; too lazy to get the book) jokes that there's a secret message in the cake's icing...and then there turns out to be writing on the actual Snitch!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References