Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: CoS Forums

Old May 14th, 2006, 11:24 pm
Unloved by all...

Comments on: CoS Forums

Official Admin Sponsor(s): lanifiel, Morgoth, gertiekeddle, Alastor

This thread is for discussions on anything to do with the forums barring more specific issues related to technical problems.

You may also notice at the top of each forum is the official Admin Sponsor(s). Basically when an Administrator replies to this thread he or she will write in bold red Official Response on [subject]. For example, a person may ask about a particular rule on CoS, so an admin would respond in such a manner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth
Official Response on Rule XX

The rule is blah blah blah...

This is to be taken as gospel and staff members will reply quoting this with any elaborations necessary at the time.

The official response will only ever be superceeded by an updated response to the original. You may however see other official responses but concerning different topics. Redundant responses will be deleted in place of new ones. A tally of our responses will be kept in a staff area.

Once an official response has been made it is the end of the matter and any further attempts to continue the discussion will be met with post deletion.

Staff members may of course reply to people until an official response is made by an Admin.

Thank you.

---

As you can tell I've restarted the thread. In addition the canon interpretation is no more. Enjoy

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^

Last edited by Hes; November 10th, 2011 at 1:18 pm. Reason: admin change
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:06 am
Mrs Grawp

Re: Comments on: CoS Forums

If I can make a comment here: (also regarding the second post in Ask the staff)

Honestly I don't really understand how you let some discussing take an influence on what rules or guidelines you have in these forums. I mean, why put up a list to be downargued in two days?

It's not a critic, I am just suprised. There are some rules I consider not to be totally fair or correct, but I would never expect you to change/remove them just because they generate polemic.

Just a random comment.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:14 am
Unloved by all...

Its cool guad, its a valid question. To be honest it all came down to a cost benefit analysis. I couldnt be bothered dealing with the critique this morning. I had a busy day planned and the staff were pretty fed up with it as well. I also couldnt be bothered trying to do something to benefits the forum which was pretty much universally frowned upon so I removed it. Simple as that. I'm just gonna stop trying in the future. Its pointless

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:50 am
Mrs Grawp

Well, I can understand the analysis of the benefit of the rule and the energy lost by dealing with critiques. About universally frowned up, I haven't followed this, but I had the feeling that most people would have agreed on the rules. Obviously I was wrong, or maybe the universal frowning is just a smaller (but louder) group.*

I also guess that inside the discussions, specifically in the Hogwarts sections, the 'canon' evidence pretty much speaks for itself (at least it does for me ...maybe I am too simple ).

*note that this is not a critique, just a subjective comment, I am not attacking any members or opinions here

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!

Last edited by guad; May 15th, 2006 at 10:56 am.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:56 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Well not to beat a pathetically dead horse, I don't think it was universally frowned upon, but perhaps the "frowners" were just more vocal.

Although, I can understand not wanting the hassle. Too bad, I thought it was a useful list.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:16 pm
McMugwump Supreme

We'll work on it.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old May 15th, 2006, 12:24 pm
Genius Loci

Well, I can see why lanifiel didn't want the hassle, bearing in mind there are more important things in life to worry about. I myself have a guideline written that I had put on the shelf after lanifiel put his guide forward (which I didn't have issue with). Anyway, I'll see about posting mine in the next few days to the staff and if they like it'll go live and that's that.

Old May 15th, 2006, 5:04 pm
First Year

well one thing that i would like you all to think about is ,
why not open the hogsmeade region for public..i mean i know that it is good to have competition and only let the best access the best region..but dont you think that this website would get more people as there would be fun-filled activities to do for all

if you cannot do this then kindly consider reducing the amount of eligible posts required to access hogsmeade..

please do not think that i dont like these forums...these are the best on the net in my opinion..trust me , i have seen many forums.

Old May 15th, 2006, 6:15 pm
Zonko's Employee

There are plenty of members on this website. I don't think recruiting more is an issue. Hogsmeade is meant to be a reward for good posting habits and, like in the books, you have to be a third year to be considered. When you get really involved in these forums, it's really not that huge of a chore to rack up enough posts. (I think I did it in about a month.) Just relax and have fun; there's plenty to do here.
Incidentally, I think this belongs in the Comments on: Hogsmeade thread....

Last edited by Pegasus; May 15th, 2006 at 7:57 pm.
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:51 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanifiel
Its cool guad, its a valid question. To be honest it all came down to a cost benefit analysis. I couldnt be bothered dealing with the critique this morning. I had a busy day planned and the staff were pretty fed up with it as well. I also couldnt be bothered trying to do something to benefits the forum which was pretty much universally frowned upon so I removed it. Simple as that. I'm just gonna stop trying in the future. Its pointless
I'm pretty bad when it comes to determining if someone's statements online are literal or not, so I had to tell you I hope you didn't really mean it when you said that you're going to stop trying to do stuff that benefits the forum in the future. Despite whatever reactions there were about the guidelines you made it's because of the efforts of the staff that CoS is so much better than a lot of the free for all forums that are out there.

Old May 18th, 2006, 1:17 pm
Genius Loci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline
I'm pretty bad when it comes to determining if someone's statements online are literal or not, so I had to tell you I hope you didn't really mean it when you said that you're going to stop trying to do stuff that benefits the forum in the future. Despite whatever reactions there were about the guidelines you made it's because of the efforts of the staff that CoS is so much better than a lot of the free for all forums that are out there.
It comes down to whether the reward is worth the effort. If the reward is that people cannot/will not work with something, we're then left with the feeling that everything is a waste of time. That feeling passes in time and we come back to the idea of working with others. It's natural to feel deflated or infuriated by a lack of flexibility or understanding, that applies to everyone. But with CoS, it's a long way down the list of our Real Life problems and addressing the issues on here does require time out of RL, so when something does go wrong a person can be forgiven for thinking "I'm done with this."

Obviously it's easier to be a member of a web forum than it is to be a member of staff on a web forum. But one thing is for sure, lanifiel and all the staff have invested a great amount of time and energy on trying to improve things for everyone. The perception that one side is favoured over another is silly because it assumes we're invested personally in ensuring an unfair advantage for our 'favourites', which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 6:33 pm
Member of the Order

What a great idea! *points at new title*

Old May 22nd, 2006, 6:44 pm
Seventh Year

I really like this new idea. I also thought it was odd how someone with 2000 posts would have the same title as someone with 10 000, and this is much better! Thanks a lot Morgoth

Old May 22nd, 2006, 6:47 pm
Secret Keeper

I like the new title. I feel like I have finally graduated Hogwarts now.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 6:48 pm
Knower of things

Nicely done.

I've finally graduated

Old May 22nd, 2006, 8:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I also love the new user titles. It was a nice suprise to see a new title under my name today. Awesome!

Nerf Herder
Old May 22nd, 2006, 8:57 pm
Zonko's Employee

How nice....I'm a teacher now, how ironic

"Perhaps that's why we have had conflicts. It is hard for two people both accustomed to the same position to sort things out." Otherland Volume Three

Old May 23rd, 2006, 2:08 am
Sixth Year

Love the new titles!

Old May 23rd, 2006, 2:16 am
The Next Great Adventurer

The new titles are cool. They're a lot of fun.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old May 23rd, 2006, 2:59 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm
The new titles are cool. They're a lot of fun.
Definitely, I'm lovin' mine!

Hey, CBW---you're a Grand Sorcerer!