Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Forum Suggestions

Old November 6th, 2005, 10:49 pm
McMugwump Supreme

I don't really understand how that saves server space ... ?

It does sound like a lot of work, so I'm going to say no, sorry. There's the "search this thread" function that people can use to find particular posts in threads.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2005, 11:22 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotsiepots
There's the "search this thread" function that people can use to find particular posts in threads.
That is a really good function! It makes it easy to see if a question has been asked already. It's the button at the top right corner of the thread itself, just under the page numbers.

Old November 8th, 2005, 9:39 pm
Second Year

I would like to make a suggestion in regards to signature size. I was a little surprized that these forums allow images with such big dimensions (300x300) in terms of hight. I guess it's because most people like to have actual photos in their sigs.

But what about people who like to post banners? Banners are usually wider that 300 pixels, but they are short in terms of hieght. Could the cosforums have two sets of image size restrictions, one that is, 300x300 and another that is, let's say 500x100 for those who prefer banners?

Old November 8th, 2005, 9:52 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapormist
Well...here I am, with my suggestion to eat up more of the Mods' valuable time!
I don't really think that the Little Questions thread is working as well as it could be. We gets lots of people asking the same thing (eg. Don't they ever shower????) over and over again, not bothering to read through nearly 4 threads, which is about 5 500 posts - quite understandable. My suggestion would be:
1. A person asks a question, then lets someone answer them.
The next step depends on the nature of the question. If the question asked is a fact question, go straight to #3.
2. The question is discussed by people. When the person posing the question feels they have got a satisfactory answer, they wait for some more time (a day, two?) in case a groundbreaking theory will show up.
3. The person asking will then edit their post with the question and add the full answer that has been come up with (including all theories and unanswered questions).
4. A Mod will from time to time check the LQ thread and move all the Q&A posts into a locked thread in the Reference Books section, to which people asking similar questions can in the future be directed. The smart ones will check it out before asking
5. The discussion will be deleted, thus leaving CoS with lots more server space and freeing members of the need to look through tens of posts.
I understand it means more work for the staff. This is merely a crazy suggestion
I actually think it's a pretty good idea, I wouldn't mind doing it when bored, but a huge problem is people naturally want to assume they're the first to think of an idea and wouldn't bother checking through the thread. Also the questions "answered" will be often contradicted by everyone who disagrees, which would get more annoying.

Old November 9th, 2005, 3:58 am
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabichou
I would like to make a suggestion in regards to signature size. I was a little surprized that these forums allow images with such big dimensions (300x300) in terms of hight. I guess it's because most people like to have actual photos in their sigs.

But what about people who like to post banners? Banners are usually wider that 300 pixels, but they are short in terms of hieght. Could the cosforums have two sets of image size restrictions, one that is, 300x300 and another that is, let's say 500x100 for those who prefer banners?
Unfortunately, too many members have trouble understanding that they must keep the length and height of an image within 300 pixels. If we created additional options there would just be more violations and far more work for the Staff. So despite the fact that it is inconvient for some I think we will stick with the one maximum image size at this point in time

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old November 9th, 2005, 8:53 pm
First Year

I think everyone should be entitled to avatars and they shouldn't be some sort of "award" or "merit."

Old November 9th, 2005, 9:03 pm
Mouse

Avatars are a reward. This is non-negotiable. However, contrary to what your signature says you are in fact allowed one image 300 pixels or less on each side in your signature. For more information on how to do this, please read the first post of this thread

Old November 10th, 2005, 12:57 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Wolf07
I think everyone should be entitled to avatars and they shouldn't be some sort of "award" or "merit."
Trust me, having to wait for an avatar makes getting one sooo much sweeter.

Old November 25th, 2005, 4:11 am
Sixth Year

You know how Hogsmeade students are italicized and regularly colored? But, so are the Honored Members. I think that so we can distinguish them from everyone else (that is if they even want to be), we should make them a different color...

Just an idea.

Old November 25th, 2005, 5:35 am
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBlack22
You know how Hogsmeade students are italicized and regularly colored? But, so are the Honored Members. I think that so we can distinguish them from everyone else (that is if they even want to be), we should make them a different color...

Just an idea.
Making the honored members a different color will create a situation where people owl them asking them questions when they are on. Some honored students no longer want to be bothered by others on the forum. Hence they will stay the regular color.

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Old November 25th, 2005, 5:45 am
Zonko's Employee

Can i ask what the decision about the poll for where people live is?

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old November 25th, 2005, 5:54 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanifiel
Making the honored members a different color will create a situation where people owl them asking them questions when they are on. Some honored students no longer want to be bothered by others on the forum. Hence they will stay the regular color.
Makes sense.

Old November 25th, 2005, 7:40 am
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
Sure ask away...

(teehehehehe)

Old November 25th, 2005, 7:56 am
Genius Loci

Ah, yeee gods. We had a discussion about the poll in the staff area and I put together some ideas and everyone said their piece and then as what always happens, it got taken over by events. I'll try and get the ball rolling again this weekend.

Old November 25th, 2005, 8:21 am
Unloved by all...

Baaaaaaaaaad Morgoth... No cookie for you! ^_^

Old November 25th, 2005, 8:26 pm
Formerly Known as 82

I have a suggestion that is completely random and probably induced by my cold medicine, anyway. I've noticed that lots of new members will start up threads in the Great Hall area introducing themselves. The description
Quote:
The best place to meet and greet new students and discover more about them. Post count is off.
for someone who is just coming in and really doesnt know the flow of things around here could very well take is that they are suppose to (or able to) introduce themselves there in a new thread. Perhaps a different description of that forum would lessen the amount of threads like that. Again, this is probably the cold medicine talking, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*

Last edited by Vita; November 25th, 2005 at 8:28 pm.
Old November 25th, 2005, 11:07 pm
First Year

I do like Tiberius's idea for a poll about where members are from. I hope it goes through. Also, would the mods be open to weekly polls (like Mugglenet) or is that more of a hassle than its worth? Thanks.

One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity.

pix by grrliz

Proud Member of the I.W.B.T.B.I.G.O.I.A.S.S.S.S

Commodore of HMS Excellent Tentacles (Mr. Burns and the Giant Squid)
Old November 26th, 2005, 11:51 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evita82
I have a suggestion that is completely random and probably induced by my cold medicine, anyway. I've noticed that lots of new members will start up threads in the Great Hall area introducing themselves. The description for someone who is just coming in and really doesnt know the flow of things around here could very well take is that they are suppose to (or able to) introduce themselves there in a new thread. Perhaps a different description of that forum would lessen the amount of threads like that. Again, this is probably the cold medicine talking, just thought I'd throw it out there.
To add to Evita's idea, wouldn't it be helpful to make a sticky thread in the Great Hall with a sort of guide about the various forums, something like "The Guide to CoS Forums"?
I have noticed that some newbies who start introduction threads ask for some more information on the different forums. Of course there are already descriptions but some might be confusing to new members. Also new members tend to overlook the FAQ and CoS Forum Rules.
So this guide could give useful links about the difference between forums like the Leaky Cauldron and the DOMIC. Included could be links to the Search Tutorial, Signature Hosting thread, A Guide To Posting on CoS Forums and the Wizengamot for any questions.

It might be time consuming to make but it could help a lot of new members, it's a big forum after all.

Last edited by Hes; November 26th, 2005 at 8:49 pm.
Old November 26th, 2005, 3:58 pm
First Year

In your Signature Content Policy, you have restrictions on image size, but you don't have any restrictions on file size. I've noticed that some people have animated sigs that are very large in size (one I noticed in excess of 1mb). I'm on dial-up most of the time and it takes absolutely ages for threads to load. I'm sure other dial-up users have the same problem. Would it be possible to have a limit of file sizes for images in sigs, say 100 or 200k? I don't want to turn the sigs off in my profile because I do enjoy looking at people's sigs.

I really enjoy browsing this forum and reading everyone's opinions and theories, but the long loading times really kill the fun.

Old November 28th, 2005, 8:06 am
Genius Loci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
The poll is up - http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=78686 - A general forum-wide announcement may follow later.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services